• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

President Obama just earned my vote for 2012

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
Seriously. I'm not even currently registered to vote, but I will do so in order to be able to vote for Obama. I just watched his impromptu press conference from last Friday, and all I can say is, "wow". It was a major ass kicking, and to be perfectly honest, I can't remember the last time I saw so much honesty from a politician, and so much raw disgust from a President.

[YOUTUBE]VVkzKVWK6pQ[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a link to the web page I found it on. It includes a full transcript from the speech, so if 30 minutes is too long to watch a video, you can read what he says. But I promise you, knowing what he says is not nearly as awesome as the way he said it. Especially his response to the final question.

http://www.shallownation.com/2011/0...011-press-conference-on-budget-deficit-talks/

Kick ass Obama.

The man can certainly speak. I just wish he wouldn't cave to the GOP so much so we can get something done for once.

Yes it did. However, the GOP has decided that they ahve a better plan (which was ripped apart like a rookie making a Cena Sux argument if you were bored but I digress) and Obama is slowly looking like he'll cave. He did it with the tax cut extensions and I'm hoping he doesn't chop up the big three for the sake of this.

You striked me as one of the main people enrolled to vote on here. (that's American)

Well you and Will.

Yes it did. However, the GOP has decided that they ahve a better plan (which was ripped apart like a rookie making a Cena Sux argument if you were bored but I digress) and Obama is slowly looking like he'll cave. He did it with the tax cut extensions and I'm hoping he doesn't chop up the big three for the sake of this.
He's over a barrel and he and the Republicans know it. If the country defaults, it'll be the President's fault. Whether that's true or not, it will be the mindset of Americans.

My favorite part is how he pointed out how the debt ceiling was raised 18 times during the Regan administration. Why are things like this not in every single newspaper article and every single Democrat soundbite?

You striked me as one of the main people enrolled to vote on here. (that's American)
Generally find most candidates aren't worth my vote, so why waste my time to register?

He's over a barrel and he and the Republicans know it. If the country defaults, it'll be the President's fault. Whether that's true or not, it will be the mindset of Americans.

My favorite part is how he pointed out how the debt ceiling was raised 18 times during the Regan administration. Why are things like this not in every single newspaper article and every single Democrat soundbite?

Generally I find most candidates aren't worth my vote, so why waste my time to register?

That has been in the democratic soundbytes. It's an ad that started up a few weeks back. bush II did it a bunch also. The GOP's response: "Now now. It's not going to do us any good to keep causing the same problem. This stops NOW!*"

*and no of course we're not stopping because Obama is black. That would imply that we're racists and we're clearly not as the Republican Party does in fact have a black member. We don't actually know who he is and he doesn't matter to us but we are in fact not the all white old men party even though we're all white, old and men.

I really enjoy how he basically tells them "I'm the fucking president, I'm saying I'll meet you at 11 am sharp, and you better damn be there."

I haven't seen it. Admittedly, I don't watch much television, but I haven't seen it.

Tonight was the first I've heard of it.

Yeah it's not that well circulated. The good thing is there's some extra cash that they hadn't expected to have so they're going to have an extra 8 days or so, moving the date back to about the tenth instead of the 2nd.

:shrug:

It's compulsory in Australia. you get fined if you don't vote.

Thank God it's not that way in America. Voting seems like a gigantic waste of time to me because I've never been happy with who's been elected, whether I voted for them or not. If I know the end result is going to suck regardless, then why waste my time?

I also don't like the electoral college system either. I understand it's purpose, but I think a popular vote (if that's the right term) should be the winner.

The electorial college is fine, just needs to be tweaked. A democrat in Texas essentially throws his vote away. The winner of a district should get a district vote, the winner shouldn't take the whole state.

The electorial college is fine, just needs to be tweaked. A democrat in Texas essentially throws his vote away. The winner of a district should get a district vote, the winner shouldn't take the whole state.

Same with me. I'm smack dab in the bible belt. All a Republican has to do is come down here and say "That guy kills babies!," and automatically wins because of it.

Politics and voting are odd in the US right now. Obama was voted in by a significant margin along with many Democrats predominantly on a platform change. Two years later people voted predominantly for change again yet voted in a lot of Republicans. What is the result of this all? Political standstill at a time when the country desperately needs the opposite. The reason? Political posturing for the elections in another two years. This system is looking pretty broke. One of the main problems is that with the country divided, conflicted and wary of the government, it is easy to convince about 60 percent of the country that anything specific is bad. It would be nice if both parties realized that the country needs both of them change.

I think a system needs to be set up where the popular vote means something. When most of the voting country wants you to be President, and you're not, there's something wrong there.

Imagine how much different America's history would be if Al Gore had won the Presidency, like he won the popular vote. It's mind-boggling, really.

Same with me. I'm smack dab in the bible belt. All a Republican has to do is come down here and say "That guy kills babies!," and automatically wins because of it.
Which pisses me off to no end. We're in the middle of an economic crisis, and all people care about is abortion and whether or not they're going to pay more taxes tomorrow.

It's compulsory in Australia. you get fined if you don't vote.

That's dumb. The right to abstaining from casting a vote is as much a democratic principle as the right to cast a vote. There are better ways to combat political apathy than literally forcing people to vote.

That's dumb. The right to abstaining from casting a vote is as much a democratic principle as the right to cast a vote. There are better ways to combat political apathy than literally forcing people to vote.

Smackdown_your_vote_logosma.gif

The reason for the electorial college is to help more rural areas. It keeps two or three population centers from controlling the politics of the entire country. I personally don't like the idea of the metro New York area having more of a say then several states in the Midwest.

You reward popular votes by awarding the winner of the popular vote with the two Senate votes for the EC. The rest of the state is determined by congressional districts. You win the district, you win the vote. It makes it far more interesting.

The reason for the electorial college is to help more rural areas. It keeps two or three population centers from controlling the politics of the entire country. I personally don't like the idea of the metro New York area having more of a say then several states in the Midwest.
I understand the reason for the Electoral College.

You reward popular votes by awarding the winner of the popular vote with the two Senate votes for the EC. The rest of the state is determined by congressional districts. You win the district, you win the vote. It makes it far more interesting.

That it does. When George Bush can become President, despite the fact the majority of voting Americans wanted Al Gore, I find that very interesting. And quite sad.

It's the system though. It's not like Al Gore was the only victim of losing the popular vote. Al Gore didn't even win his home state. If he took care of business at home, then he would have won.

Or if the Supreme Court hadn't decided there was no need to recount ballots that the candidate who got the votes (Nader I believe) said were really really weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back