Premier League 2008/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main problem with Newcastle has been injuries this season, I honestly think we've had our first team play once or twice this season, take Arsenal for instance we had three centre backs in defence, a right back at right wing, a right winger up front and still played decent for an hour. Then two guys go down injured and Arsenal scored...twice.

And that's where the problems lie, in the summer when Keegan was in charge he asked for a left & a right back and we actually have no back up for either, the injuries at the club are ridiculous, but one things for sure, Steve Harper is a great replacement for Given.

Another problem is drive, you can tell which players (Harper, Taylor [both of them], Nolan, Jonas & Caroll) actually want to play for the shirt. The rest just can't e arsed, or will play better with 10 men, or play better against one of the big clubs andbuckle against teams like Hull.

In The Sentinel this week they had an article about who'll go down. They had the opinions of 10 people who write for their local paper. This being a Stoke paper two of the men were from The Sentinel. The opinions are from the papers of possible relegation favorites.

Here are their predictions for who'll go down:

The Sentinel x2 (Stoke):

Brom, Boro & Sunderland and Brom, Boro & Hull.

Bolton Evening News:

Brom, Boro & Newcastle.

Hull Daily Mail:

Brom, Boro & Newcastle.

Sunderland Echo:

Brom, Boro & Newcastle.

The News (Portsmouth):

Brom, Boro & Sunderland.

Lancashire Telegraph (Blackburn):

Brom, Boro & Hull.

Shields Gazette (Newcastle):

Brom, Boro & Blackburn.

Middlesbrough Gazette:

Hull, Newcastle & Brom.

Birmingham Mail (West Brom):

Brom, Boro & Hull.

After that the only teams that nobody predicted would go down were Pompey, Stoke & Bolton. And only the Brom paper thought their team would go down. At least they're honest.

I think I prefered it when Stoke were faves for the drop.

I've said it time and time again, Newcastle have needed someone in charge who has a passion for the club for the rest of the season, that would give us a mini push to get us fighting.

Ladies and gentlemen...

Alan Shearer.

7.jpg

Shearer is a bad move on so many levels. With backs against the walls you don't want to bring someone in who may end up way over his head. Look at how inexperienced British managers have faired recently: Ince sacked, with Blackburn on the way down, Adams, the less said the better, Sanchez nearly took Fulham down etc.

Also, unlike all of those other people he is a club hero, so they won't sack him when they should. Like when Keegan was shit, he'd never have been sacked, so they had to force him to quit basically. I might end up being wrong, but I think this is the nail in the coffin for Newcastle.

He's been taken on as a temp role until the end of the season...I think it's a good move, because even if he's the worst manager ever, he'll give the fans a boost (which they fricking need), which in turn should boost the team. A run of 8 games is enough to ride that wave, so I think it's a good move.

Shearer returning will boost morale, but it doesn't change the fact that you have an awful squad. You've been playing badly this season for a reason, the players aren't motivated and the club has been run the wrong way. If the morale is lifted, yeah better performances. But that only lasts for one game. After that it's back to the hard work, and I still don't think Newcastle have the players to stay up. Don't get me wrong, I want them to stay. They're a fantastic club. However, I just don't see it happening.

Shearer returning will boost morale, but it doesn't change the fact that you have an awful squad. You've been playing badly this season for a reason, the players aren't motivated and the club has been run the wrong way. If the morale is lifted, yeah better performances. But that only lasts for one game. After that it's back to the hard work, and I still don't think Newcastle have the players to stay up. Don't get me wrong, I want them to stay. They're a fantastic club. However, I just don't see it happening.

Well see this is where I disagree, I watched the Man U & Arsenal matches and saw Newcastle give them a run for their money, if they have some motivation to make it last the second half then I don't see why they won't give it a go, it's goingto be a scrap and Newcastle perform much better under a ton of pressure. That added to the return of various injuries will make it a very interesting end to the season.

That's Newcastle's problem. You can do it on the one off, one game, no problem. 2 games? Nope. There is no consistency at all with Newcastle. They can have good performances but then you also have lots & lots of bad performances. You're consistent with that, lol. Hopefully Shearer will help Newcastle find that consistency, because without that, you're fucked I'm afraid.

It's easy to get motivated for a game against big clubs, so it's a damn good job that Newcastle have still got to face a few. The only problem being that they don't win those matches and they've still got some unglamorous fixtures. I'm just glad it's Stoke away and you've got Shearer for the game this week. Other wise I wouldn't be confident.

But he's no longer on MOTD, so it can't be a bad thing.

Today The Messiah™ returns today. It's been 18 months since he was calling Stoke vs. Newcastle at The Brit in an F.A. Cup tie. Same thing should happen here, draw but Stoke are the better team.

In a matter of hours I'll be cheering Stoke on to anything but a loss. Newcastle need points, somehow they think Shearer will be able to do what nobody has been able to do all season. If only he was the original Messiah, how many can there be anyway.

I'll look into that stand with the away fans. All 1,5000 of them. They'll look like a big dejected barcode. Auf wiedersehen, pet.

For ages my fellow north easterners have been proclaiming one from Newcastle and Boro will go down with Hull and West Brom. Well Brom it's lucky Brom have left it too late or all three will have gone. I really think SUnderland will struggle now and are favourites to go down from the North East. Newcastle's home games are winnable.

I'm predicting Newcastle, Hull & Brom go down. Hull might get a point of Stoke at home & Bolton away, but I don't actually see them winning any of the matches they have left. Same with Newcastle.

Newcastle should beat Pompey, Boro and Fulham all at home. Sunderland don't have the form to win any games, Boro will probably beat Man United knowing them, but none of their games are easy.

To todays action, Man United were bloody brilliant. Dodgy penalty yes, but they destroyed Spurs. Absolutely destroyed them. Switching Rooney to the left with Tevez on for Nani was a great switch. Still don't think the title is over, United have trickier games.

And off topic, Darlo finished their home season today with a loss, as usual. Shame how the season spiralled out due to the administration. One year I will get a trip to Wembley for the play off final.

Arsenal 1-4 Chelsea

Typical Arsenal. Created lots of chances but couldn't take any of them. Wenger really needs to spend some money on 3 or 4 experienced players in the summer otherwise we are going to have another trophyless season and the longer that carries on, then players like Van Persie, Adebayor and Fabreagas could leave the club

Well the tyne-tees derby sure as hell was entertaining. Newcastle fully deserved the win, even though Emnes should have won it for Boro.

So two games to go and the battle for relegation is between six teams.

Portsmouth They need three points to be safe, but one would realistically do. They host Sunderland before travelling Wigan. If they go down it is a monumenta cock up.

Sunderland To guarantee safety they need two wins, but really one win should do. However, a tricky trip to Pompey is followed by Chelsea at home. I can see them losing both, so they will be relying on other results.

Newcastle Got a great boost last night but they are not safe yet. Host Fulham at home next week where a win should be enough to stay up. Aston Villa away on the last game is one where they could easily pick up a point, but next Saturday is their decider.

Hull They just can't seem to win at all. They travel to Bolton next weekend where I can't see them getting anything. Bolton are similar to Stoke who had no problems with Hull this week. Last game is home to Manchester United, who will either be going for the title or resting players for the Champions League. If it is the latter Hull have a tiny chance. If not, they are screwed.

Middlesbrough Surely doomed after last night. Hosting Aston Villa next week at the Riverside is winnable though and away to West Ham could see them grab a point. Even with those results, a win for Newcastle next week would end their hope. It would be a remarkable escape if they pull it off

West Brom They have been all but relegated since January, but suddenly have found form. Unfortunately for them they host Liverpool on Sunday and a defeat would seal their fate. Any other game and they could well have pulled off their second great escape. A win over Blackburn in the last game could see them relegated on a high though.

Predictions 15th Portsmouth, 16th Sunderland, 17th Newcastle, 18th Boro, 19th Hull, 20th WBA.

man u
liverpool
chelsea
arsenal

I dont think it will end up any other way than that man u are too strong to slip up at this end of the season and liverpool chelsea and arsenal are stuck where they are i think.

europa league
everton
aston villa
tottenham

i predict spurs to tip fulham to the 7th place spot on the last day of the season beating liverpool and fulham losing to either everton or newcastle this week.

relegated
hull
boro
wba

as much as i would like to see all these teams stay up im afraid they are doomed for championship football next season.
id personally like to see the toon relegated as they think they have the right to win everything but i see shearer and co avoiding the drop on the last day

As much as it pains me to say it as a newcastle fan... i hope the toon go down. It'll hurt for a while but it gives us a chance to get rid of the overpriced wastes of space in the squad and rebuild. I can't see us getting anything at villa anyway.

And most Geordies don't think we have a right to win everything we just dont want to see the disgraceful football we've had for the past few seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back