• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PPV Buyrates

hinkey1

Pre-Show Stalwart
I stumbled upon something I found rather interesting at this link

http://themeltdown.homeip.net/wwe/ppvbuyrates.php

It is a list of the all WWE PPV buyrates for the past 20 years. I focused mainly on comparing recent years 2003-2007.
It seems that the Royal Rumble of 2003-2005 didn't even draw a 1.0. However, the past 2 royal rumbles drew ratings of 1.31 and 1.25. By the looks of things, the only real difference that would create such a rise in buy-rates is the most controversial man in the WWE (John Cena). I always thought that Cena was just a cash cow for merchandise, I had no idea the PPV's he headlined drew so well.
Take a look at Summerslam 2003-2004, drawing .94 each. Headlined by the Elimination Chamber, and then Chris Benoit vs. Randy Orton. If you take a look at the other PPV's Benoit headlined, you will continue to see low buy-rates. WHY IS THAT!!!?? Compared to 2005 & 2006, HEADLINED BY JOHN CENA, and 2006 by Hulk Hogan the numbers are 1.34 and 1.35.

Any thoughts on these numbers??

Uh, Yeah...Take a look at this year's and how they have tanked with Cena overcoming all odds, and the PPV's being shit monthly. So far EVERY PPV besides WM has went down(GAB stayed the same)..WHY IS THAT!!!?? Maybe because people are tired of a shit product, Stale Champion, Terrible storylines. Who knows?:rolleyes:

Also, Look at the ratings for RAW, If Cena was such a "great" draw and WWE is such a "great" show, They would have decent 4.0's and higher, They don't. Why? Terrible product this day in time. Up until September 2006 RAW was pulling 4.0's consistenly, Now they just tank around the 3.3-3.5 area.

While I appreciate the support you're giving to Cena and Hogan, a couple things to remember.

1) Buyrates, such as your posting, can be misleading. You're always better off going with total buys, as opposed to the buyrates you are posting.

2) Starting sometime in 2005, the WWE started charging International viewers PPV buys. Before, they would get them for free. International buys usually account for anywhere between 30-40% of the buys currently.

Now, there are other things that go into all of that, which I'm sure I'll have to get into later. But, for now, I'll just try and clarify your thread.

Uh, Yeah...Take a look at this year's and how they have tanked with Cena overcoming all odds, and the PPV's being shit monthly. So far EVERY PPV besides WM has went down(GAB stayed the same)..WHY IS THAT!!!?? Maybe because people are tired of a shit product, Stale Champion, Terrible storylines. Who knows?:rolleyes:
Don't forget over-saturation of the PPV market, increases in price, big superstars being injured/suspended etc.

Also, Look at the ratings for RAW, If Cena was such a "great" draw and WWE is such a "great" show, They would have decent 4.0's and higher, They don't. Why? Terrible product this day in time. Up until September 2006 RAW was pulling 4.0's consistenly, Now they just tank around the 3.3-3.5 area.
No they weren't. That is a flat lie.

2006 averaged a 3.9 rating, 2005 average a 3.8 rating and 2004 averaged a 3.7 rating (all roughly).

And, how do you fault Cena when he is the biggest draw on the show?

Don't forget over-saturation of the PPV market, increases in price, big superstars being injured/suspended etc.

We've been over this already, 5 bucks will not do jackshit to decrease buyrates, That's just common sense.

Sure, Superstars were suspended etc.. But you can't rule out shit storylines and PPV's.

That's horseshit if anyone does.

No they weren't. That is a flat lie.

http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/wwf/wwfraw.htm

^^

Merry early Christmas.

The only time they even cracked the 4.0 area consistenly was on The Road to WM, Go figure.

And, how do you fault Cena when he is the biggest draw on the show?

This thread should be in the Cena thread. People have been over this time after time.

We've been over this already, 5 bucks will not do jackshit to decrease buyrates, That's just common sense.
Then how come every time they raise prices, buyrates go down?

Explain that one.

Feel free to average those up. See what you get.

The only time they even cracked the 4.0 area consistenly was on The Road to WM, Go figure.
Take the Road to WM out of 2006 and 2005 and 2004...see what ratings you get.

I can't be bothered looking through the cards for all of the last few years, but there is probably going to be a consistent thing, ignoring Wrestlemania as this will always generate buys. In theory the cards that have a special gimmick in which to be a selling point usually do better, Such as Hell in a Cell, Elimination Chamber and other similar big match gimmicks. These will usually sell more than a card that hasn't got at least one of these types of matches. And before you say it D2D was an abberation, the way in which cards are promoted are also a factor in buys. So D2D was a failure based off of the only promoting one match for the most part with the second being added almost at the last second for promotion purposes. The lack of a true Undercard is probably going to also be a big factor in this as people will get pissed off with piss poor decisions about order of matches on the card, case in point Wrestlemania this year, the Smackdown Mainevent in the middle of the card, stupidity is not going to get buys. This is also combined with reduced value for money that people are recieving from the ending of the PPV 15-20 minutes earlier than what it was scheduled to go on for, this could mean that there is not proper use of time management but it is one of the problems that the WWE should fix if it hopes to gain back its PPV buys at a domestic level.

Does anyone know what Bound for Glory got? Has the info been released yet? If so, somebody please let me know.

Does anyone know what Bound for Glory got? Has the info been released yet? If so, somebody please let me know.

1. The show was last night.

2. It usually takes several weeks to figure up buys for a PPV

3. TNA usually does not release their PPV buy numbers, not even to Meltzer.

4. Expect Bound for Glory to come in between 40,000-50,000 buys roughly, most likely.

How does that work?

1.0 meaning- 1 million buys?
Generally, today, a 1.0 equals roughly 400,000 separate homes that buy. However, that's not always been the case, so when you see a 10.1 for WM 1, that does not mean that it was more bought than WM 23, which is the biggest wrestling PPV show ever, in terms of total buys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back