Best Brand-only PPV?

chesswiz77

Pre-Show Stalwart
With the announcement made by WWE last week to make all upcoming PPVs, starting with Backlash, incorporate all three brands. I was thinking about the Brand-only PPVs, and how they started in June of 2003 with Bad Blood and ended with NWO '07; they have nearly lasted 4 years. I decided to start this thread to see what you thought was the best Brand-only PPV for Raw, Smackdown, ECW and the best overall.

Here's my list:

Raw: Vengeance '05- Headlined by HHH/Batista III HIAC match for the World Title, Angle/HBK II, and by Cena/Y2J/Christian for the WWE Title. (Unforgiven '06 is a close second)

Smackdown: Vengeance '03- Headlined by Lesnar/Angle/Big Show for the WWE Title, Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Beniot for the U.S. Title, UnderTaker vs. John Cena, Stephanie McMahon vs. Sable, and by Vince McMahon vs. Zach Gowen.

ECW: One Night Stand II- Headlined by John Cena vs. RVD for the WWE Title, Edge/Mick Foley vs. Terry Funk/Tommy Dreamer, and Sabu vs. Rey Mysterio for the World Title.

Best overall: Vengeance '03

Vengence 2003 or No Mercy 2006.

Both are nothing special though. Good but not spectacular.

Vengence: Eddie/Benoit was a good way to start the show. It could have done without Rhyno interfering though. I enjoyed the main event but it was'nt memorable. Undertaker vs. Cena was better than anyone could have expected. I enjoyed Sable vs. Steph. It was'nt bad for two non worker's. And McMahon vs. Gowan was entertaining.

No Mercy: The main event was great concidering two of the wrestler's cant work. Benoit vs. Regal would have been a classic by WWE's current standard's if they had 10 more minute's. London & Kendrick had an entertaining match with two greenhorn's. And Matt Hardy/Helms never have nad match's when they face each other.

My personal favorite brand only pay per view is Vengeance 2003. Just everything about that show worked incredibly. All the matches (with the exception of the Bar Room Brawl) were as good as or better than everyone expected.

Benoit vs Eddie: WOW! When I watched this match live I swear I felt like it lasted forever, but then I watched it later and it seemed to go by so fast. Very comical match with all the ref bumps, but also a very solid wrestling match. I agree that the Rhyno interference was unnecessary but it did setup a decent fatal fourway at SummerSlam.

APA Brawl: Comical match to use all unused guys and make the APA look tough.

Billy Gunn/Jamie Noble: This match that I had no expectations for being thrown together with a dumb storyline was actually decent. I think that Torrie and Nidia at ringside made it better though.

Rey/Kidman vs WGTT: This was an awesome tag team title contest that saw a ton of great spots, overall this may have been the best match on the card, maybe #2.

Sable/Steph: Just a catfight, interference by A-Train seemed cruel and unusual. Poor Steph.

Vince/Gowen: WOW! This one was a lot better than expected I mean did you catch that gash over Vince's eye from that chair spot. I mean damn, crazy!

Taker/Cena: A match that proves that Cena can actually wrestle, the WWE has led us to believe otherwise now-a-days.

Show/Lesnar/Angle: A great main event, it entertained and it was a very solid match.

What I have noticed about the brand only pay per views is that on the whole scale, the RAW shows were better at drawing by using its names to get buys. Whereas Smackdown didn't use the names but they always put on good matches, seemed weird to me, I always preferred to watch RAW over Smackdown, but when it came to pay per views, Smackdown was the way to go.

Vengeance 05 was great from start to finish. I thought Unforgiven 06 was pretty good. Ntiro/Hardy, Orton/Carlito, HIAC, and the TLC match.

Vengeance 03 sounded pretty good. One great SD! PPV that comes to mind is No Way Out 06, which had pretty much all good matches.

ECW- Well there's only been 3, but the best of them was probably ONS II

Vengeance 2005:Shawn vs. Angle 2:this is another great match-up and a classic.Not as good as Wrestlemania but still really great.
John Cena vs. Christian vs. Chris Jericho:This is one of Cena's only good title defenses.It was a fast paced match with some really awesome moves.
Batista vs. Triple h:I don't really like this match but I won't doubt that is wasn't good.Triple H should have won though.

Unforgiven 2006:Trish vs. Lita:My second favorite Womens Match of all time.It was Trish's last match and she was absolutely in my mind the greatest Womens wrestler of all time.This match was great and it was between two arch rivals with Trish locking in the Sharpshooter and the crowd went nuts.

First ever Handicap-Hell in a Cell: Dx vs. The Big Show & Vince,Shane Mcmahon:This match is worth the money alone.It is a great Hell in a Cell match with two very good men in a cell with a lot of experience.They had nice moves with lots of blood and good violence.

TLC Match:This proves that Cena at times when given thew right opponent and the right stipulation can put on a very good match.It was very good with at leats 10 crazy moves.The crowd despised Cena as he was in Edge's hometown.The ending was really great too.

ECW One Night Stand 2: It was awesome seeing John Cena almost getting booed out of the arena and rioted on. Also every other match was awesome.

Also "Armaggedon" of this year: The ladder match was the show stealer, so many different styles in the ring and of course the infamous "Joey Mercury face destruction".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back