• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Potential for Eric Young

sweetcosmicpope

Occasional Pre-Show
I know this has been discussed to no end in the past, but something occurred to me after watching last weeks episode of impact.

We've had the goofy Eric Young, since not long after the breakup of the band. Close to a year, I'd guess.

Just doesn't work. The skits are stupid, and take away from actual angles.

However, Eric Young is a talented wrestler, and to me, anyway, seems very talented on the mic and his acting skills are superb. It's a waste to have him with this angle. I noticed a spark between Gunner and Young. I could really see a drawn out fued, if the angle isn't just a comedy angle.

Say he gets some sense knocked into him or something. Then he decides he's been the laughing stock of the locker room, and he's tired of being pushed around, and slowly rebuilds his character as a "force to be reckoned with" type.

I think this could work, and put an end to his corny gimmick, and give him a decent push he deserves.

Comments? Other ideas?

I think this had already been done during his leadership of the World Elite stable. This angle portrayed him as someone who was sick of getting belittled and treated inappropriately because of his past actions. He wound up becoming ruthless and forming a very powerful stable that, in my opinion, was some of his best work. But, I guess TNA management felt differently about it and the stable was disbanded without explanation after Hall and Nash were stealing the spotlight, thus forcing Eric to take back his previous role as the court jester of TNA.

Of course, I'm leaving a ton of details out, but Young wasn't always a blundering idiot. He actually tried to play a serious role for a good period of time.

Gotta say that while I do like EY, serious EY bores the hell outta me. I say let him stay silly, just tone it down some so he comes across more of an odd, unpredictable guy.

Then again, EY's pretty over with the Impact Wrestling Zone Mongoloids™ as he is. I use the term Mongoloids™ in an affectionate way. Wait, no I don't, the fans in the Impact Zone DO MY HEAD IN. I really do like TNA, I don't mind their product, I have a lot of respect for the talent on the roster, but the one thing that spoils their shows and PPVs the most as far as I'm concerned is the live audience. Or at least the regulars/staff members that start the chants.

I still think he has a chance. He can turn horrible gimmicks and muster something entertaining out of them. He's been one of my favorite wrestlers since tunning into TNA in 2006. His ability to work so many different characters has really captivated me and made me believe that if given the proper chance he can go the full distance. Who knows. Despite the lack of direction he seems to be one of the most popular characters in TNA right now. Maybe he'll be given a chance sooner than we think.

Why do people consistently knock Eric Young for being a comedy act? There have always been comedy acts in professional wrestling. Hell, the Romans had comedy acts during gladiatorial games in the Colosseum. Compare him to Santino Marella all you'd like, but Santino's on television every single week. I'd take being Eric Young over being Okato, any day of the week.

I don't mind Eric Young and actually think he's a talented dude who can turn up the heat when need be. In face when Fortune was first forming I had him pegged as a guy who can get himself serious enough for the role and still do if TNA decides to go with a James Storm turn down the line. Storm and Young have feuded in the past and if Young took his spot if Stormed turned I wouldn't mind it. Not to mention Rhoode and Young have teamed back in the Team Canada days(though in no way am I suggesting they go for the tag straps if re-united Fortune style). The Beer drinking championship was pretty funny.

Not to mention Young is one title reign away from being a Grandslam Champion so somebody has to see something in him. He's had a couple of Tag Title reigns, a brief X-Division title reign, and was Television champion back when it was the Legend's/Global championship. Him being a serious contender in any of those divisions wouldn't be a bad idea. How funny would it be if Young was actually the guy to take the X division strap off of Abyss? So I think Young will always have a chance to do something in TNA seeing as they seem to have a high amount of respect for him. I don't see a World Title in his future but I'm sure he'll always be involved in something.

Think about the QUALITY of heels TNA has right now with the likes of Bully Ray, Hogan, and Bishoff. Eric Young would get swallowed alive if he were a heel right now. As it stands, him having a comedy role lands him television time and a paycheck. Also, maybe he likes his stance in TNA? Not everyone can be pushed at once.

EY has been given the ball a few times over the years and drops it every time. he's good in the ring and on the mic but he seems to blow it when they try to give him a push. The Band was the best fit for him but everyone knew that wouldn't last(thankfully).
Some people just belong in the lower/mid-card. It's not a bad thing. Everyone thinks that the position is something to be ashamed of. EY has work and is getting paid well and can take indie bookings. To me it doesn't sound all that bad considering the state of wrestling these days.

I'm not saying he necessarilly needs to go out of the mid-card, but he definitely deserves a push to be on the top of that mid-card. And we, as fans, deserve to not have our time wasted with ****** and gay jokes aimed at EY and OJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back