• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Post-Rock, Prog Metal, Jam Bands & More!

Smooth Sexual Chocolate

Grapefruits of Wrath
I've had this thread idea for a good while now and was just waiting for the stars to align before throwing down on such an epic, head exploding thread.

Now essentially this is just like my Electronic Sampler Platter, excuse me, I mean this thread is just like my Electronic Love Machine thread. A place where all forms of post rock can unite and flourish in harmony.

I know the post-rock/prog-rock is one of those genres that seems to have an infinite amount of music associated with it, so as long as it fits somewhere in the genre it has a place in this thread.

As usual, I'll be filling this thread up with some of the more unknown artists of the genre, and leaving some of the more popular artists like The Grateful Dead, Phish, and Mogwai to you guys. Unless nobody else posts on this thread, in which case I'll be covering all three of those artists.

Rather than starting this thread off by profiling a single artists, I'll toss out a few different artists that fall into the genre, and do more extensive looks at these individual artists later on in the thread.

I'm going to start off with an Amazing band that was just brought to my attention a few weeks ago, they go by the Explosions in the Sky, and it's some of the most epic, progressive rock I've heard in a while; this shit just cements you to your seat and tugs at every emotion you can think of.

Explosions in the Sky - First Breath After Coma

Every song really is that good, filled with all kinds of emotion, the type of music that really allows you to tap deep into your subconscious and emerge yourself in sound.

No onto something different, but also very similar.

Pelican - Spaceship Broken - Parts Needed

Next band on the list goes by Pelican, and they fall somewhere between post rock and prog metal. This song isn't the best example of the prog metal side, but you definitely get a much heavier metal/rock feel with Pelican than you do with Explosions in the Sky. I would definitely consider this one of their more mellowed out songs, but it still has a bit of the metal feel to it. Great track, do yourself a favor and give it a listen.

I've got one more treat in this goody bag, and I'll tell you what, is it ever a treat...

Perpetual Groove - 3 Weeks

Aww, the Jam Band, so refreshing, such an easy listen, let the brain float away like a balloon heading to the moon.

I just recently got into perpetual groove after listening to my fair share of the Disco Biscuits, Lotus, Umphrey's Mcgee and many similar artists I finally made the leap to Perpetual Groove and haven't looked back. Some of these tracks even include lyrics, something I usually try and stay away from, but this is some easy listening at it's finest, and the vocals fit well with the jam sessions, a Perpetual Groove, indeed.

A nice variety of music to get this thread started off proper, I'm hoping this thread is a little more accessible to the general WZ population, and I know there's gotta be a few of you out there who enjoy all the delicious treats that Post-Rock has to offer.

So please, do share; and as always, enjoy!

The first thing that really came to mind reading this thread, especially with the progressive rock aspect of it was "30 Seconds to Mars". At least the newest stuff from them, so therefore I'll go ahead and share my favorite song from their "This is War" album.

[YOUTUBE]0aSLS2GhyXA[/YOUTUBE]​

Amazing song that shows Jared Leto's vocals pretty firmly. The whole album really does very well at showcasing a completely new side of the band that was once considered alternative rock before.

This is War is an album I reviewed in the Album review thread, and is something I gave a score of 7 out of 10. It's not a bad album thats for certain, and it's most definitely something worth checking out if you're interested in progressive rock and progressive metal. But if you're expecting something like the old 30 Seconds to Mars, you're gonna be disappointed, because they definitely went a completely different way.

I could imagine myself coming into this thread quite a bit. At least I can only hope to do so. Great idea SSC.

This one should be a sticky one!

Anyway, right now, I'm stepping aside from metal and rap, and I'm going onto more experimental/progressive music/rock. So this thread is just perfect, right now I'm going to throw two songs of one of the greatest Latin bands: Café Tacuba. Most of the time, this band is labeled as "alternative" but that's because most of latin music critics are just ignorants. This band has one crazy evolution, they have the record "RE" wich is labeled as many as the Latin"white album". It's not a comparison to The Beatles itself, but to their album cause it is so diverse!

Anyway here are two great songs:

[YOUTUBE]R7IPxngsAPY[/YOUTUBE]​

and

[YOUTUBE]nJS62shZrn0[/YOUTUBE]​

Enjoy some progressive latin rhythms!

I was hoping for one more post, but I couldn't resist to point out this one, ladies and gentlemen, I gave you one of the craziest and most progressive artist EVER: Frank Zappa. This guy has bolero, blues, jazz, reggae, rock, psychedelic and everything in between. This man basically showed how is to be versatile and inspires many, many progressive scenes. I gave you, again, Frank Zappa:

[YOUTUBE]kRQF3EhhFvw[/YOUTUBE]​

El Ten Eleven

El Ten Eleven fits into many of the above category's, and then some. They're definitely classifiable as post-rock, with hint's of electronic rock; but you can tell they've been influenced by all kinds of different rock music.

I was first introduced to El Ten Eleven when I was looking for something similar to Ratatat, now in all fairness there's nothing that comes close to the sound of Ratatat; but this was pretty damn close, at least as far as awesomeness is concerned.

The track above is off their first album, self titled for those interested. It definitely features a more raw sound than more recent albums, but it's also the album that defines their sound, and even in their most recent work you can still catch some of the similarities from the first album. It's probably the number one thing I find in common between El Ten Eleven & Ratatat, and that's that they each have their own defining sound. Right off the bat I can tell a Ratatat song, same thing goes for El Ten Eleven, they each have such a unique sound, that isn't duplicated by other artists. A couple one of a kinds, nothing better if you ask me.

So I was originally going to sample music off of all their CD's, but as I started typing this out I couldn't help but fight the urge to go through and highlight the best of their first CD, so I could really give you a taste of their unique sound, all while making future El Ten Eleven posts more enjoyable to the listener, so with that said I present the next song..

El Ten Eleven - Sorry About Your Irony

Love this track here, it didn't take very long for this one to grow on me. entrancing melody's mixed with more electronic elements than the previous I felt right at home the first time I laid ears upon this amazing track.

So those are the first two tracks in order, and they give you a pretty good taste of the unique sound El Ten Eleven have to offer, but just for good measure I figured I better throw a couple more track out there, so you can really savor the flavor.

El Ten Eleven - Connie

The only other non live performance I could find off their first album was this track, and it's set to some dude driving around, so don't let that detour you from giving this last track a listen. It's pretty much the closing number on their self titled CD, even though it's the second to last track, the last track isn't much of a track, so fuck it.

So that's a pretty decent sample size of El Ten Eleven, if you like any kind of post-rock than there is no reason you're not going to enjoy yourself a little El Ten Eleven. I'll make sure to stop back and profile a couple more of their CD's, whether you guys like it or not. Enjoy!

Got another big one! This band is in my top 5 since the first time I heard them. I couldn't believe that their music was death metal, jazz, and acoustic (not a genre but I don't know how to call it) in one single song. I'm talking about Opeth. Here's a great slow yet evil song as would say the lead singer.

[YOUTUBE]kCekjFD0Pj0[/YOUTUBE]​

This is one AWESOME progressive death metal band, and it's coming from a guy that HATES death metal.

Ahhhhhh Opeth. A band whose very definition is a contradiction. 'Progressive Death Metal'..... Death Metal? Isn't that where all they sing about is Devil Worship, Genocide and horrific imagery to do with mass mutilation of innocent women and children.......?

Yes, that is what bands such as Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Anal Cunt and a slew of others tend to do, but the mighty Opeth blew that pre-conception out of the water a long time ago.

If you truly can't stand Metal in any form, let alone Death Metal, then i would still check out 'Damnation'. It's an album that is completely filled back to back with progressive, melodic tunes, my favourite being 'To Rid The Disease'.

Another band i'd recommend to anyone into Prog Rock is Porcupine Tree. They and Opeth have worked together a couple of times, but don't have any metal influences. Don't get me wrong they can get heavy, but you'd never refer to them as a metal band.

I would post videos, but can't at work, but seriously, check those guys out.

DAMN! I really thought this thread might have some appeal to the masses, I mean, after all, you could pretty much fit any kind of guitar bearing music into this thread, with a little elbow grease.

While I am certainly happy with the posts that where made, Rev absolutely OWNED what this thread was all about, I say prog rock and he presents fucking prog rock. MofZ clearly knows what he's talking about too; and Ferbsauce showed you just what mainstream prog rock is. I feel this thread is still filled with potential, especially with such a broad range of music that could fit into this thread.

Here's a little prog rock band that I've really been diggin' lately, absolutely epic instrumentals, filled with all kinds of emotion just oozing out of every corner. It's one of my favorite things about the prog rock genre, the emotion; but it's not just the emotion, it's being able to get so much emotion just using instruments, no vocals, no words, just you and your interpretation.

If These Trees Could Talk

Aww Yeah, whata track. This is the opener to their debut release, and it's an absolute treat for the ears. When I first heard this track I wanted to strip down and run nude through the fucking forest; it may have been the shrooms, but I'm pretty sure it was the song.

Now this nest track might be my favorite from ITTCT, it could literally be the mascot song for post/prog rock, just a beast of a track. You could a man and fuck a bitch all to the same song, that in itself is pretty impressive.

Hopefully these tracks leave a lingering taste on the pallet like they did with me. As always, enjoy the saweeet tunes.

I know SSC, I was hoping to see some posts from IC, Brownstone and my homie The Natural...:shrug: anyway like SSC said this thread has potential and since I'm onto progressive right now, I have alot to post.

Since Mark of Z didn't post it I'm going to with another monster of progressive: Porcupine tree

[YOUTUBE]MBWb3nqqDuY[/YOUTUBE]​

A couple of daya go I downloaded "In absentia" and OMFG I couldn't believe my ears, musically speaking everything is so well written and constructed, they are fucking genius!

You bitches dont even understand that you have just entered my realm. This is the majority of the shit I listen to, ride to, slaughter bitches to.

Sick little group called the angelic process. Love this album, unfortunately the lead composer died, so the only album that exists is the first one. If you like this sort of music, I highly highly suggest picking it up. Oh, and definately turn don the fucking base in your car if you want to hear ANYTHING lol

[YOUTUBE]jbmS7b2PhfA[/YOUTUBE]

Cool little jam by a band called Methadrone. Only song of their I could find, but it owns

[YOUTUBE]GiqroWOFuso[/YOUTUBE]

I must throw in my all time favorite band, Generation Of Vipers. LOVE these fucks, and glad to be able to spread the wealth. Support this band, I beg of you.

[YOUTUBE]EqxD486uoB8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HTvdYmBJRqc[/YOUTUBE]

Gjora is a prog metal band mixed with heavy metal influences. I'm only going to post one video because I have a fucking doozie to post after it.

[YOUTUBE]CqLh2-MUhNk[/YOUTUBE]

Animals as leaders, I've recently fallen in love with this band. No vocals at all, because they don't need them. The guitarist plays a custom 8 sting guitar and is an actual virtuoso guitarist. He is just fucking amazing, this along with Norcal is one of my favorites. Prog metal is alot of focus on the instrumentals. I love it because it actually shows that the band has true tallent in playing the music that they love. *not saying that all bands don't have true tallent.*

[YOUTUBE]NmfzWpp0hMc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]1Ho4-tExpTE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]cZJFYHWv0tU[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back