• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Playstation Plus... Is it worth it now?

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Roughly two years ago, Sony launched Playstation Plus with firmware update 3.4, and there were a lot of mixed reactions across the internet. Some bawked at the concept, saying that it was a "poor man's Xbox Live", while others applauded Sony for offering the first console-based cloud storage system.

**Don't be fooled, PS Plus is not an answer to XBox Live. XBL lets you play online with your friends and access things like Netflix, Hulu, etc etc. Sony allows you to do all that for free, whether you buy Plus or not. XBL does not just hand you free games every month, exclusive BETA's, or early access to downloads. I'm not Microsoft-hating, I'm a big fan. Just clearing things up for the ignorant fan boys that like to Sony-hate for no good reason***

If you're not totally sure what I'm talking about, Playstation Plus is a subscription-based service that offers several unique things to Sony customers.

1.) Free and discounted games that change each and every month. To clear up a little confusion, once you download these games, they remain in your "purchases" list and you have them for "life".

2.) Access to Playstation's Cloud system. You can upload and download save states and (I believe) files. This enables you to play at your friends house, on the go with the Playstation VITA (in some cases), create "backups" of your save data, or just get data off your system.

3.) Some other things I don't remember...

I've had a PS3 for awhile -- definitely before the Plus launch in 2010 -- but I've never been interesting in Plus. When they gave us all free games after the Network crash, they gave it to EVERYONE. And frankly, most of the games they offer for free are generally not worth playing. But very recently Sony has been stepping up their game and putting out some good titles both for PS3, the PSone classics library, the new PS2 classics library, and soon to come, the PS VITA. Plus lots of exclusive avatars and themes, which I don't really care about, but if that's your thing you might find it cool.

But what FINALLY got me to drop the $45~ for a year subscription is the current deal they're running for Plus users. They just dropped 12 games onto the Playstion Store, completely free for Plus users. At least half of them I will never play, but things like Just Cause 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Infamous 2, Ratchet & Clank something or other...those are games worth playing! Sure, if I didn't already have them, maybe I wouldn't just run out and drop $45 on them tomorrow, but now I own them, and I have the next 12 months to look forward to other new games that will come out! Since I also have a VITA, I'd say the purchase was worth it!

So what are your thoughts on Playstation Plus? Does anybody have it? If you don't, is there a reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back