Player to Coach

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
No matter what the sport, most coaches are not only former players but many are former professional players at the respective sport they are coaching. Basically use this thread to name some current players you see being head coaches in the pros some day. This can be used for any sport. I'm going to start with a few NFL guys but will do other sports at a later date.

Charlie Batch- The former Lions starter and current Steelers back up is already basically a qb coach for Pitt. The guy has tremendous knowledge for the game and is a real team first guy. He is always prepared to step in even if he is the 3rd guy on the depth chart. You always see Roethlisberger talking with him on the sidelines and I could see Charlie starting as a qb coach when he retires and eventually moving up through the ranks to becoming a head coach.

Peyton Manning- Peyton is arguably the smartest player in all of football and he is already a coach on the field. he knows the Colts offense so well that he pretty much calls his own plays. That's why you see him calling audibles and switching plays almost every time he gets up to the line. Once his playing days are over he could transition very well into a qb coach, then offensive coordinator, and eventually a head coach.

Ray Lewis- The man is a beast on the field and is probably the most passionate player I have ever seen. He could motivate a crack head to become president. Not only that but his intelligence as a football player is highly underrated. He is basically the Peyton Manning of defenses. He is constantly barking out signals and getting his teammates where they need to be. His ability and motivational skills alone make him a great linebackers coach right away after he retires, and his intelligence could easily make him a D coordinator and eventual head coach.

Reactions: TSG
Drifting away from the NFL, I'm gonna go with a guy from the NBA. Eric Snow will be a head coach in the Association one day. He was like having another assistant coach in his Cavaliers days, and he just seems like the guy who will drill home fundamentals and playing good defense to his squad, just like he used to do on the floor.

Unsurprisingly, he was a PG, a position I think requires the most knowledge to succeed in basketball.

As for your picks, I can definitely see Batch as a coach after he retires. I can't really see Peyton or Lewis as coaches, though -- they seem more fit for the broadcast booth.

EDIT -- I do realize Snow is retired; just seems like the next logical step for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back