• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pistons saga: Who's to blame?

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
If the Detroit Pistons are beyond frustrated with Richard Hamilton, it's because he had a chance to be playing elsewhere and didn't take it.

Hamilton has been unhappy with the Pistons in general and coach John Kuester in particular and was supposedly behind a team boycott of Friday's shootaround in Philadelphia before a 110-94 loss to the 76ers.

Sources now say, though, that the idea of a team boycott is "overblown" and that only Hamilton missed the shootaround without explanation.

However, Kuester told the media that Hamilton, Chris Wilcox, Austin Daye and Rodney Stuckey will be fined for missing the shootaround, in accordance with team policy.

The vexing part for the Pistons is that Hamilton could be with a bona fide playoff team right now.

The Pistons had a deal arranged with the Cleveland Cavaliers to acquire Hamilton, league sources say.

The Pistons would have added a first-round pick to compensate the Cavaliers for taking Hamilton off their hands. Cleveland could have absorbed Hamilton's contract with a $12 million trade exception.

The Cavaliers, league sources say, were willing to buy out Hamilton immediately or wait until the summer and buy out the last year of his contract. Sources say both the Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls were aware of the deal and were looking to add Hamilton to their roster once he was available.

The Bulls, in particular, thought he could start for them, according to a source.

Hamilton, however, declined to consider a buyout, now or later, and the deal died, sources say.

Neither Pistons president Joe Dumars nor Leon Rose, Hamilton's agent, were available for comment.

Sources say the alleged player boycott was actually a "perfect storm" that resulted in half of the team not showing up or showing up late. Tayshaun Prince and Tracy McGrady were both ill. Ben Wallace has a brother who is gravely ill and has been emotionally distraught for several days. Wilcox overslept and Daye and Stuckey missed the team bus because the departure time was moved up from 11 to 10:30 a.m. ET. They have insisted to team officials they did not receive notification of the change.

The only player who actually missed shootaround without explanation, one source said, was Hamilton.

"The team boycott idea is being overblown," the source said. "It was more miscommunication than defiance."

Sources told the Detroit Free Press and Detroit News on Friday that the shootaround boycott was directed at Kuester, who has clashed with players in the past.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com Friday that Pistons veterans tried to organize a teamwide boycott of Detroit's shootaround before its last game prior to the All-Star break.

But the walkout was called off, sources said, when some Pistons players were told that Kuester was about to be dismissed during All-Star Weekend. Detroit went out that night and scored a 115-109 overtime victory at home over a hot Indiana team.

Prior to Friday's game in Philadelphia, sources said, similar attempts were made by the same veterans to organize a teamwide no-show at the morning shootaround again, presumably in response to the fact that no trades were made before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET trade deadline and the fact that Kuester was not let go.

All of the players who missed or were late to shootaround were held out of Detroit's Friday night loss. That left the Pistons with only six available players: Will Bynum, Ben Gordon, Jason Maxiell, Greg Monroe, DaJuan Summers and Charlie Villanueva.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6161438

If you haven't heard over the past two days, the Pistons right now are a mess of a franchise. They players are boycotting helping their team out because of the coach. Not only that, but they are having problems selling the team and the team is virtually noncompetitve even in the weak East. So, my question for you all is, looking at this mess of an ordeal, who is the one that deserves blame for it all?

To be honest, I have to throw Rip under the bus. Yes, he's been one of the big pieces of the team from 03-08/09, but now that he's not playing, he's trying to sabotage the rest of the team by trying to convince others not to show. Then, when a trade offer is open, he shuts it out. I mean, really, Rip? You're getting all of this money to sit the bench, you're offered a way out to a team that's not much worse then the team you're on, and you don't take it? He's looking like a spoiled brat. It's disappointing to, because I do like to watch him play, but when you're throwing the hissy fit that he's doing to try and hurt this team, it's a black eye not only on your image but on the franchises image.

Don't get me wrong, Kuester deserves some of the blame, but Rip is the main problem here, in my eyes.

Thoughts?

I'm surprised after reading that Rip Hamilton could have gone to Cleveland, who would have given him the option of being bought out vetoed the trade. The scenarios I read said he could then go to Boston or Chicago. I think the main problem is that they are losing. When professional teams lose, discomfort and bad press usually resulst. How ever I think this story is over blown and in the realm of the NBA unimportant.

Rip deserves a minuscule amount of blame and not nearly as much as people are saying. When it comes to the supposed "no show" to shoot around it has been completely overblown and even if Rip did try to organize something like that, his teammates are fully grown men. They are more then capable of making their own decisions. As far as the trade goes, while it was possible Rip could have been bought out immediately after the trade, there was also the scenario that Cleveland waits until after the season to do it. If Rip's going to rot on the bench of a shitty team he might as well do it with the team that he has played for the last 9 seasons.

Kuester certainly deserves some blame as well because obviously the players aren't happy with him. The way he handled the Rip situation was also completely unprofessional. He never really sat down and talked to Rip face to face. At one point he wanted to reach out but instead of going himself he sent over the head of security. Not exactly a good way to smooth things over.

The most blame, however, goes to Karen Davidson. She has still yet to sell the team and with the team in the middle of an ownership change, they really can't do anything to improve the team. Joe Dumars is handcuffed by the impending sale and can't do much and all of that is trickling down to the rest of the team. There is blame assigned to multiple people but the most blame goes to Karen Davidson.

This whole team needs to be blown up. Regardless of who is to blame, the team needs a change immediately. The city of Detroit should be in an outrage over this team. It is beyond a disgrace. I am surprised a team with a pretty rich history, would allow things to get this bad.

Overall, as far as who to blame for this is concerned. It is easy to point guys out who do stupid shit. But I think the front office should take some blame on this for not rectifying the situation. I am sure it will get worse and it shouldn't have even gone this far. But yeah, the front office should be going crazy trying to get this taken care of as fast as possible, before it becomes something that grows even bigger and people never forget.

Overall, as far as who to blame for this is concerned. It is easy to point guys out who do stupid shit. But I think the front office should take some blame on this for not rectifying the situation. I am sure it will get worse and it shouldn't have even gone this far. But yeah, the front office should be going crazy trying to get this taken care of as fast as possible, before it becomes something that grows even bigger and people never forget.

That sounds good in theory but right now the team is up for sale and until the sale is completed the front office is really handcuffed with what they can do. Any major moves monetary wise just can't be done. That's why the situation seems to be getting worse and worse. Until the sale of the team is complete nothing can really be done to improve the team.

I will have to put the blame on the players especially veteran players because they set the tone for the rest of the locker room. Also when the veterans don't listen it makes the coach powerless and kuester didnt deserve that this whole incident is just a black eye on the NBA.

I am inclined to agree with Cmpunk is wwe.

I place the blame mostly on the veteran players. Obviously, some blame must go to Karen Davidson, and the fact that they can't do anything financially. I don't want to let her completely off the hook...However, knowing that nothing major can happen, who are the leaders in the locker room? Who is the adult that is holding the players to a mature, responsible standard? John Kuester is a terrible coach, we get it. He was a bad hire by Joe Dumars. But it is not the players responsibility to get Kuester fired, its up to Dumars and the Pistons management. The players job is to play. Are they or are they not professionals? They get paid to play basketball, but are acting like a bunch of amateurs. I fully acknowledge that Kuester is a piece of shit coach. But, the players job is to make the best of a bad situation, not foment open rebellion. Let the team owners and management take care of the situation, it isn't your job. Even if you have deep concerns, refusing to show up is not only unprofessional, but childish. Act like the fucking pros you are supposed to be. Act like men.

That sounds good in theory but right now the team is up for sale and until the sale is completed the front office is really handcuffed with what they can do. Any major moves monetary wise just can't be done. That's why the situation seems to be getting worse and worse. Until the sale of the team is complete nothing can really be done to improve the team.

This. I've been a Detroit fan for quite some time and I've just stopped watching the NBA because of how bad it's gotten. I mean, we aren't the Cavaliers right now, but we're not too far behind.

Until the sale is complete, there's nothing that can be done and it's just like watching your child fall apart before your eyes. It's sad.

On an unrelated and completely joking note, how about we assign the collapse of my beloved Pistons where it really belongs.

darko_milicic_280809.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back