Phoenix Region, Miami Subregion: First Round: (5)Chris Benoit vs. (28)Earthquake

Who Wins This Match?

• Chris Benoit

• Earthquake

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The following contest is a first round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in the American Airlines Arena in Miami, Florida.

american_airlines_arena2_920_medium.jpg

#5 Chris Benoit

lens286448_1229375750001.jpg

Vs.

#28 Earthquake

johntenta.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

Ugh... I feel like deja vu all over again. Here's why...

Call me whatever you want but Benoit really turned me off once he decided to murder his family. But that won't sway my vote here. I can't take away how masterful he works in the ring and how incredible he was when he wasn't strangling his wife and seven year old son and placing bibles next to their bodies.

However, the Earthquake was no slouch. Matter of fact, I feel that at Earthquakes prime and at his strongest level, he could've beaten anyone in his path. He crushed Hogan, dominated in tag team action, and (my favorite) he KILLED DAMIAN; Jake Roberts' trusted pet!!! This guy could have taken anyone on in his prime.

I'm leaning towards Benoit but I'll need some convincing.

I'm expecting a Tenta return to support the run of Earthquake, but I'm going with Benoit and this is why, he was able to adapt his ring style to any opponent he came across. He's fought small guys like Mysterio and Malenko, medium sized like Jericho and Triple H, all the way to big guys like the Big Show and Undertaker and has a good amount of victories over them. There's no doubt about Earthquake's ability with the fact that he crushed Hogan and killed Damien, but when you're facing someone who's technical ability make him unpredictable in offence, Benoit has his number.

One of the problems with Vince's monsters is that when they're grounded and taken out of their usual and comfortable game plan, there is no Plan B for them, Benoit always had a plan B, C and D for his matches, if something didn't work, he'd take a different approach. I imagine with this match he would take out Earthquake's legs and one of his arms to stop his offence and when he's finally got him down, hit on the Crossface for the tap out.

Benoit advances for me.

I actually like the Earthquake character. He was that classic Monster Heel and had a pretty solid career. A better career then I expected from him at least.

He won Tag Team Titles with Typhoon and were embroiled in some pretty heated feuds as a team. But, I think what I will remember Earthquake for, is his runs against The Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan. He was booked pretty strong and held his own during these feuds with the company's Top Guys. Also, his "Earthquake" on Jake's snake, Damien is something I will never EVER forget!

Even taking all that into consideration though, he stands no chance against Benoit. I am trying to forget the things that happened with Chris Benoit and his personal life, just to cast this vote. Something wants to me vote Earthquake just because of certain issues with Chris. But, I will stay impartial and cast my vote to the man that is the better man (in ring) in this match up. Chris Benoit.

During his career, Benoit did A LOT. Classic matches, feuds, and he won many titles. Benoit was the definition of Technical Wrestling and even though other things come to mind when I think of Benoit now, I will always remember his in ring ability also, and to be honest, he was one of the BEST!

I hope what Chris Benoit did doesn't change how people vote. This is a tournament based on wrestling criteria, not what he did to his family. I mean sure you could use the personal preference thing to say you have no respect, but c'mon that would be pretty lousy. Good to see people are actually voting for Benoit though. Chris Benoit takes this one easily. Benoit would put a clinic on Earthquake, and probably end it fast. Chris has everything in the ring. He's the perfect story teller. One of the best technical wrestlers of all time, if not the best. Earthquake would use his size to stop Benoit for a short period of time, but after that I see it ending with Benoit's signature head butt.

I never really liked Benoit, and killing a child didn't really raise his reputation in my eyes. However, Earthquake was pretty much designed to lose. His career followed the map of beat jobbers to a pulp, attack his rival, then lose the payoff match. Benoit was often booked as a bit of an underdog because of his stature, and a "shock" win is almost certainly where this one would head. Benoit, pretty easily.

I'll be as professional to wrestling as possible.

In the ring, Benoit is a technical machine. He has a history of taking on big guys like Earthquake, and know how to bring them down to his size. He can take beatings that Earthquake can implement, but in the end it comes down to the Crossface and a tap-out.

Remember, this is a wrestling tournament, let's not get what he did on that horrible night change that.

I have no idea who Earthquake is, and if I remember correctley, the guy who sported his avatar was an absolute douche. I'm going with Benoit, he's a machine, and used to be my favorite wrestler.

Wow, Benoit will quite literally have his hands full with this match, but I don't doubt The Wolverine goes over Tenta here. Tenta is exactly the type of guy that the heel GM sticks in a match against Benoit only to have Benoit foil his plan by miraculously locking the Crippler Crossface onto.

Benoit will spend the first 45 seconds of the match trying to get Earthquake down, but ultimately fail when Tenta starts to use his size to his advantage. After a solid 3-5 minutes of Benoit getting beat on, Benoit manages to counter and eventually takes the big man to the ground. He sets up for a diving headbutt, hits it, and goes for the cover, but Tenta kicks out right before 3. The next 2-3 minutes are spent of Benoit trying and failing to lock on the Crossface, but right when all hope seems lost Benoit manages to lock it on and forces Tenta to tap out.

Oh, and if all else fails, Benoit could just start yanking out patches of Tenta's chest hair until he's blinded by the pain, making him unable to continue the match.

Benoit wins this one.

To me, Chris Benoit, hands down. The man was a pure freaking machine. All his personal issues aside for the last few days of his life, his accomplishments, to me are something I prefer to remember. You can't deny the energy his theme music would produce when you hear the first chords of that intro, and how hyped up you'd be when you see the Rabid Wolverine make his way to the ring on a mission. Of course, he wasn't all that into flashy gimmicks for entrances, or promo cutting. His goal was "Get in, do the job, get out." He was a simplistic man, about the business of making sure you do it right, and make sure the fans are entertained.

I think what made him so amazing was his ability to combine technical work with his ability to just out of nowhere jump up and do a diving head butt, and then you see him just run with such force that the person is knocked out for a few minutes. Plus, he wasn't the typical muscle bound beefcake like Cena, or HHH, he was someone you would probably expect to see next to you at the grocery store. He wasn't the average look for a wrestler. I think that is what garnered him such appeal with the crowd. Plus his technical skills were so far un-matched. He had the ability to lock someone in a submission move out of nowhere. He could seemingly counter anything and lock you in the dreaded "Crippler Crossface." Anytime that was even close to being applied, the audience knew it was over for the opponent. The man was also such an underdog and overcame quite big hurdles in his career. He overcame a broken neck to come back and win a triple threat match at WM 20 which still gets me teary eyed to this very day. Then I remember seeing the emotional tribute to Eddie Guerrero and see how upset he was to lose such a long time friend and still he would wrestle his heart out. I also remember the EPIC feud he had with MVP leading to their battle WM 23, which I LOVED. Two technicians going at it. Then I remember seeing him at a live house show just a week before he died, and it was an amazing show. He was SO nice when I met him. It was him and Batista vs Edge and MVP. To this day I still have yet to find someone as technically sound and to the point in the ring as him.

I've got to join the throng and pick Benoit too. However, I don't think the Crossface would be the finisher. Big men have a record of bad knees, I can see the Wolverine go after Earthquakes legs with kicks and chop blocks and ultimately win with the Sharpshooter. This is only the first round, I'm sure a ring technician like Chris would want to send out a strong message that he is not a one trick pony.

Regardless of what Chris Benoit ultimately did to his family and then to himself, there's no denying that he was just damn good inside the ring. He had an ability to adapt to just about anyone that he wrestled and that's always an incredible attribute to have.

As far as Earthquake goes, I just never really saw what the big deal was. He was just another fat guy in a pair of tights that feuded with Hulk Hogan. If he'd have actually beaten Hulk Hogan when it mattered instead of just "injuring" him and putting him out for a while, then maybe I'd have been a little more impressed.

I have little doubt that Earthquake would swat Benoit around for a little while and use that 200+ pound weight advantage to its fullest for maybe 5 minutes or so. Benoit was tough and I think could take anything Earthquake dealt out long enough for Quake to become winded, which probably wouldn't take long. I think Benoit would eventually just wear him down and take him out with either the diving headbutt or the crossface.

As far as I see it this tournament is always about strictly professional wrestling. And while what Benoit did is obviously reprehensible, it never had any effect on his work in the ring. Because the cruel twisted truth is that Chris Benoit was one of the Top 5 workers to ever wrestle in this business, if not flat out the best North American worker of his generation. Which makes what he did even more devastating to fans of professional wrestling.

Earthquake aka John Tenta, hey, not a bad guy. Played the big guy role decently, but there's really no argument for him to go over a wrestler with as successful and excellent a career as Benoit had.

Benoit is probably my dark horse to win it this year.

Benoit is my pick here. Earthquake is a big man and will give Benoit some problems, but Benoit could adapt to pretty much anyone. Now I've lost all respect for Chris Benoit because of what he did to his family, but the guy was an absolute beast in the ring. Earthquake was pretty dominant in stretches, but when he got his big push he seem to fall short (I'm thinking of his big feud with Hogan). Benoit finally broke through and got to the world title scene and it was a pretty big moment. I just can't see how Quake takes down Benoit here.

Taking on Earthquake wouldn't be any small feat for Benoit, as the match would be much closer than one would think. However, Benoit was addept at facing men many times his size in the ring, being able to throw around guys Earthquake's size using his signature German suplex.

The crossface, simply put, is a killer. And even though monster heels such as Kane have managed to power out of the hold, even they have succumbed to the hold once trapped in it for too long. If Benoit gets the crossface applied on Earthquake [which he very likely would] then the match is over.

It has to be Benoit here, the man was so intense in the ring and his aggression more than made up for his lack of height and size. A pumped up Benoit would be more than capable of taking down Earthquake.

After taking an initial 2 minute beat down at the start of the match, the technical wizardry of Benoit would allow him to take Earthquake off his feet, and work at the arms and legs of the big man, completely immobilizing him, before finishing him off with the Crossface.

Benoit was so so good in the ring, while all Earthquake had was his size. Benoit's superior wrestling skills give him the win here

Ugh... I feel like deja vu all over again. Here's why...

Call me whatever you want but Benoit really turned me off once he decided to murder his family. But that won't sway my vote here. I can't take away how masterful he works in the ring and how incredible he was when he wasn't strangling his wife and seven year old son and placing bibles next to their bodies.

However, the Earthquake was no slouch. Matter of fact, I feel that at Earthquakes prime and at his strongest level, he could've beaten anyone in his path. He crushed Hogan, dominated in tag team action, and (my favorite) he KILLED DAMIAN; Jake Roberts' trusted pet!!! This guy could have taken anyone on in his prime.

I'm leaning towards Benoit but I'll need some convincing.

:wtf: :disappointed: First official debater's post of the thread, and you pull the irrelevant card of real life. And oddly enough, apparently no one cared because Benoit is slaughtering (really no pun intended) his opponent in the poll.. which, is very sad.

Alright so here's the thought process from my end..

Chris Benoit has defeated several larger men than him, including the likes of Meng, Rikishi, Kevin Nash, and the Big Show. Now, I bring up those four because of them you could probably combine their different qualities and make up all of what Earthquake was.

Agile for a bigger man, (Big Show) very tough to damage, (Meng) tremendous strength, (Nash) and a Super Heavyweight (really all but Meng, but for purpose sake - Rikishi's size matches his the most).

In a battle between these two men, in their primes, the truth is I'd be very likely to believe Earthquake would win over half of the time. And yet my vote went to Benoit, not because of any underdog theory, or regarding anything irrelevant to personal issues - but because Benoit was always UNDERrated as far as his matches against bigger guys, such as Earthquake.

I felt the voting would've been closer because Earthquake (prime) has done a ton of stuff that several Hall of Famers can't even lay claim to. He was the first true heel to ever "injure" Hulk Hogan, by breaking the Immortal One's ribs. He literally dominated everyone he faced for years, including the likes of Hogan, and Savage. And in the end, more people are going to recall him as someone who played some of the worst gimmicks around - more than the guy who was the first true dominating (fat/bigger) "Super Heavyweight" since Andre the Giant.

I just feel Benoit would win here because he had a ton of stamina against bigger men, and simply put would out-last Earthquake until he could lock in the Crossface and force a tap-out.

Beniot proved throughout his career that he get beat anyone no madder size or shape and Earthquake is not exception.

We can only hope people wont be swayed by the murder.

Benoit took down alot of big guys in his career..........and Earthquake is no exception, even though he was a tank i don't see Earthquake beating Benoit here. Earthquake will wear him down and get alot of offense here, but in my opinion the best technical wrestler of all time, and possibly one of the best 50 of all time(which sadly because of his personal issues probabaly will never be) will prevail in this one.
Winner: Benoit in 10:00 via crossface

Chris Benoit has defeated several larger men than him, including the likes of Meng, Rikishi, Kevin Nash, and the Big Show.

He's also beaten Mark Henry as well

If we're taking each wrestler at their prime, I'm leaning towards Earthquake. When he crushed Hulk Hogan on the Brother Love show, I legitimately thought that was the end of Hulkamania, and I know I'm not the only one. That's a *huge* impact in his prime.

I've followed Benoit through his ECW, WCW and WWE days. His best matches were by far on ECW, but watched by very few people. Not really the hallmark of success.

I know I'm in the minority with this one, but Earthquake takes this one for me.

Benoit's intensity and aggression allow him to pass through Earthquake.

Benoit gave 100% to everything he did inside the ring 100% of the time. Benoit has been able to go over men of different shapes and sizes and is able to adapt to any style. He can be technical, he can be speedy, he can fly, he can be powerful. Beniot, really was one of the few wrestlers that had the total package inside the ring.

Earthquake taps out to the Crossface at the 16 min mark.

The poll was closed by the time I went to post this, so while my vote won't count, I decided to chime in anyway. Chris Benoit was one of my favorite wrestlers during his career. Excellent in the ring, intense in his demeanor, and I always thought his mic skills were better than he got credit for. No, he wasn't the Rock on the stick or anything, but I never thought he was as bad on the mic as people criticized him for.

But this is one exception to the rule, whereby real life trumps the kayfabe world of professional wrestling. For obvious reasons, I simply refuse to vote for the Crippler for absolutely anything, unless it is a poll to oppose an induction into the WWE Hall of Fame, if any such suggestion were to ever be made, which I am sure it will not.

Give me this matchup before that fateful night, and I pick Benoit by a mile, and probably continue to vote for him deep into the tournament. But for me, everything changed in the blink of an eye. My vote here would have gone to Earthquake.

I hope what Chris Benoit did doesn't change how people vote. This is a tournament based on wrestling criteria, not what he did to his family. I mean sure you could use the personal preference thing to say you have no respect, but c'mon that would be pretty lousy. Good to see people are actually voting for Benoit though. Chris Benoit takes this one easily. Benoit would put a clinic on Earthquake, and probably end it fast. Chris has everything in the ring. He's the perfect story teller. One of the best technical wrestlers of all time, if not the best. Earthquake would use his size to stop Benoit for a short period of time, but after that I see it ending with Benoit's signature head butt.

Yeah I hate when people say why you still like Benoit after what he did and while I think it's sick what he did I put all that aside when talking about his in ring stuff. The murder/suicide was in his personal life and personal lifes and professional lifes are two completely different things. I respect what he did in the ring and he is one of the greatest of all time in ring wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back