• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PG Era holding back Top WWE Star's Characters??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinistryofDeath89

CM Perfection
Ever since Randy Orton's character changed into a dark deviever character.. I just think randy orton's character is not suited to the PG product.Ok just say for arguement sake that the WWE went back to TV14. I would think randy orton's character would benefit more in a TV14 environment, he would be able to expand and evolve and make his character a bigger and better character he has today. The same goes for Cm Punk even do his character he has is straight edge and it does suit the PG product.. but I still think he would be much better in a TV14 product.

There 's another superstar that no body likes right now and thats "John Cena".. back when Cena was a Thug Life Rapper I loved his gimmick I thought it was fresh and something different but ever since he turned into a watered down stale boring Super Cena that all the women and kids loves today. In my opinion it's just killing his character he has going right now.. and to me that is not the true John Cena, the real john cena is the Thug Life in your face John Cena.. and yet again it's showing why the WWE are making a mockery out of these characters that could be much better to what they are today.

So what do you think is the PG Era / product holding back these wrestlers characters

And would you think the TV14 product would bring out a different element in these's wrestlers characters?? :lmao:

Frankly, it should be up to the talent to adapt to the PG rating. If they're good enough, they should be able to get over and entertain us under any rating.

Good God...not another one of these.

How exactly would a different television rating improve these things? What specifically could be added that would help to "improve" these characters? Would them saying a few more four letter words add to them this edge that you think they need?

The only big problem with the PG Era in general is that waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many internet fans constantly try to come up with ways to make it a problem. Randy Orton, CM Punk & John Cena are as over now during the PG Era as they've ever been. Randy Orton causes the crowd to go nuts with every gesture, word or facial expression he says or makes. CM Punk constantly gives great promos in which he exudes a sort of smooth, calm heel confidence. And you know why WWE doesn't change John Cena back to the mix of Eminem & Marky Mark Wahlberg he initially portrayed? Because he gets far more of a reaction now and pulls in more money being the classic, All American hero babyface.

The vast majority of the WWE audience doesn't see the PG rating as a big problem. The IWC are generally the ones that complain about it and they complain about it for the plain and simple fact that it's PG. Whenever a WWE program comes on tv, the little PG box pops up in the left hand corner of the television and a good portion of internet fans have decided to focus on that. It's true that women in WWE are no longer portrayed as mindless lap dancers that compete in pillow fight matches. I don't see any problem with that. It's true that WWE wrestlers no longer cut their heads open or get slammed on beds of thumbtacks or take shots to the head with steel chairs, etc. Also, I don't consider that to be a bad thing. When you take into consideration how many wrestlers have died prematurely over the course of the past decade, when you take into account the knowledge that we have now as to what kind of trauma that being a pro wrestler can cause then I see no problem with extreme violence being gone.

WWE keeps producing wrestlers that I enjoy, feuds & storylines that I find interesting and wrestling matches that I like watching. Long as it does that, I don't particularly care about whether it's PG or TV-14. There is no inherant superiority in being TV-14.

The PG era is like telling Stone Cold to drink soda instead of beer.

Imagine "Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your butt".

It doesn't carry the same sting at all. Taking away that restriction allows for characters to be built and made.

What, exactly, could those characters significantly do to evolve themselves in TV14 that they can't do in PG? I can't see how the rating is the problem here.

Like I said randy orton's character in my opinion isn't suited to the PG product the dark side of him would benefit more in a TV14 ratings way.. why do you think Raw's PG ratings are so god dame low because there characters aren't getting great exposure if they where in a TV14 situation there characters would be much better and I would but money on it that the ratings would be alot higher then what they are today.

Because that's soooooooo what he did two weeks ago, huh? He came out, drank some root beer, gave some thumbs up, didn't say any naughty words?

Oh wait, no, that's right. He came out said the word bitch about six times, said the word shit, raised the middle finger, drank some beer and played the same Stone Cold Steve Austin that he was back in the precious Attitude Era.

WWE was PG before the Attitude Era. It was PG when Michaels fought Hart at WrestleMania, it was PG when Austin fought Bret, it was PG when Undertaker debuted, it was PG when a guy ran around with a snake in a bag and it is PG now.

I really hate some IWC smarks that act like the Attitude Era made wrestling. In that time, it worked, but you notice something? This isn't 1999 anymore. WWE realize that the game is all about turning a profit, and to that you need to be attractive to different markets, hence the PG rating and them now being WWE Inc.

If you want to watch some blood and out of touch characters that were great in the late 90's but aren't now, TNA is on Spike TV. Enjoy.

PG doesn't mean "there can't be any swearing or potentially offensive content whatsoever". At least, not in practice.
It does mean that the amount of swearing and such is reduced - and that's actually good for characters that want to swear, if you ask me. It makes a strong word that much more powerful due to it's rarity in the show.

Wow you guys take things so literally here.

B.S., there was no problem building characters in the 80's and early 90's. Stone Cold can still drink his beer in a PG show.

Wrestling in the 80s and early 90s was a pastime. It wasn't mainstream television. When I said it's like Austin drinking soda, I meant in the sense that it restricts certain actions by becoming PG. It's placing a restriction on where the character can go by limiting what they can and cant do.

Because that's soooooooo what he did two weeks ago, huh? He came out, drank some root beer, gave some thumbs up, didn't say any naughty words?

Oh wait, no, that's right. He came out said the word bitch about six times, said the word shit, raised the middle finger, drank some beer and played the same Stone Cold Steve Austin that he was back in the precious Attitude Era.

WWE was PG before the Attitude Era. It was PG when Michaels fought Hart at WrestleMania, it was PG when Austin fought Bret, it was PG when Undertaker debuted, it was PG when a guy ran around with a snake in a bag and it is PG now.

I really hate some IWC smarks that act like the Attitude Era made wrestling. In that time, it worked, but you notice something? This isn't 1999 anymore. WWE realize that the game is all about turning a profit, and to that you need to be attractive to different markets, hence the PG rating and them now being WWE Inc.

If you want to watch some blood and out of touch characters that were great in the late 90's but aren't now, TNA is on Spike TV. Enjoy.

Stone Cold CAN do that because of what he did during the Attitude era. The same IWC smarks that undermine the importance of the Attitude era don't understand that without it, there would be no WWE. A character LIKE Stone Cold Steve Austin can't develop any more because of the restrictions. Stone Cold was at home in the Attitude era because there was NO RESTRICTION on which direction he wanted to go.

And you seem happy enough that as a fan of wrestling, as long as the WWE makes profit, everything is fine? It isn't 1999 anymore but that doesn't stop the WWE from putting out a quality product. Yeah, they may be turning over millions, but that's because it's a monopoly. The biggest indicator of the QUALITY of the product would be the fans and the attendance rates and I dont even want to start on how attendances have dropped and fan involvement has decreased. Michael Cole could whisper on commentary and you'd still be able to hear him. Imagine that happening in the Attitude era.

The same people talking about the 10%'ers are the same 'Holier than thou' who claim that because they are still watching wrestling, they are the only people who can hold an opinion on it.

Stone Cold CAN do that because of what he did during the Attitude era.

Michael Cole said the word bastard the week prior. We've seen the Miz say ass and bitch before. Cole was in the Attitude Era as an interviewer but he wasn't prolific. Miz wasn't in the Attitude Era at all.

The same IWC smarks that undermine the importance of the Attitude era don't understand that without it, there would be no WWE. A character LIKE Stone Cold Steve Austin can't develop any more because of the restrictions. Stone Cold was at home in the Attitude era because there was NO RESTRICTION on which direction he wanted to go.

Attitude Era was important, nobody denies that, but it takes a real stupid idiot to think that the AE needs to be ressurected or relived. Wrestling is a process of evolution, and WWE evolved from the Attitude Era because the Attitude Era was the WWE in overdrive. Why go into overdrive when you have no competition?

And you seem happy enough that as a fan of wrestling, as long as the WWE makes profit, everything is fine?

I'm a fan of the WWE. Same way I'm a fan of TNA, ROH, PWG, EVOLVE and other wrestling promotions. I don't want to see WWE losing money, they don't deserve too. They are a business, they don't always make the correct decisions but they know how to run a business and a business is about making a profit.

It isn't 1999 anymore but that doesn't stop the WWE from putting out a quality product.

Again, no point in the WWE going into overdrive when they have no real competition.

Yeah, they may be turning over millions, but that's because it's a monopoly. The biggest indicator of the QUALITY of the product would be the fans and the attendance rates and I dont even want to start on how attendances have dropped and fan involvement has decreased.

As wrestling evolves as does the fanbase and the demographic. The demographic is kids. Kids won't give the correct chants and such, hence why when WWE do shows from Philidelphia, Chicago and New York the reactions are Attitude-esq. You aren't the demographic, if you don't like it, turn it off.

Michael Cole could whisper on commentary and you'd still be able to hear him. Imagine that happening in the Attitude era.

No. Not really. And of course you can hear him, he's speaking into a microphone. You're supposed to hear him.

The same people talking about the 10%'ers are the same 'Holier than thou' who claim that because they are still watching wrestling, they are the only people who can hold an opinion on it.

Nope, not at all. The difference is, the people who don't watch the product shouldn't have an opinion based off the past. The Attitude Era is done. Dead. Finito. Deceased. Wrestling has evolved into its current stage, and It'll continue to do so. If you don't like it, and you don't watch it, why complain?

Good God...not another one of these.

How exactly would a different television rating improve these things? What specifically could be added that would help to "improve" these characters? Would them saying a few more four letter words add to them this edge that you think they need?

The only big problem with the PG Era in general is that waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many internet fans constantly try to come up with ways to make it a problem. Randy Orton, CM Punk & John Cena are as over now during the PG Era as they've ever been. Randy Orton causes the crowd to go nuts with every gesture, word or facial expression he says or makes. CM Punk constantly gives great promos in which he exudes a sort of smooth, calm heel confidence. And you know why WWE doesn't change John Cena back to the mix of Eminem & Marky Mark Wahlberg he initially portrayed? Because he gets far more of a reaction now and pulls in more money being the classic, All American hero babyface.

The vast majority of the WWE audience doesn't see the PG rating as a big problem. The IWC are generally the ones that complain about it and they complain about it for the plain and simple fact that it's PG. Whenever a WWE program comes on tv, the little PG box pops up in the left hand corner of the television and a good portion of internet fans have decided to focus on that. It's true that women in WWE are no longer portrayed as mindless lap dancers that compete in pillow fight matches. I don't see any problem with that. It's true that WWE wrestlers no longer cut their heads open or get slammed on beds of thumbtacks or take shots to the head with steel chairs, etc. Also, I don't consider that to be a bad thing. When you take into consideration how many wrestlers have died prematurely over the course of the past decade, when you take into account the knowledge that we have now as to what kind of trauma that being a pro wrestler can cause then I see no problem with extreme violence being gone.

WWE keeps producing wrestlers that I enjoy, feuds & storylines that I find interesting and wrestling matches that I like watching. Long as it does that, I don't particularly care about whether it's PG or TV-14. There is no inherant superiority in being TV-14.

This may be one of the best post I have ever seen on this forum.

The IWC Smark's and Attitude Era mark's are the only one's saying stuff negative about today's product and tha'ts only beucase it's "PG." If it was TV-14 and was putting out the same product they have now I doubt there would be as much hate.

I said before, the rating doesn't make the show. The product makes the show, and last year was one of the best year's since I started watching WWE.

What people have to realize is WWE went TV-14 in the late 90's out of desperation. They were losing week after week to to WCW that they almost went out of business, but Vince decided to up his game to the much edgier, over the top "Attitude Era." It was the only thing Vince felt was best for his company to try and gain back his fan's. Now, it's 2011. Most of the fan's from the era have either grown up, or still live in their mom's basement. The one's that have grown up have probably either stop watching WWE, or watch it with their children. The one's that live in their mom's basement, well they still live over the day's of Stone Cold, women acting like skank's and blood.

Time's change, the era of edgier, rauchier product is out. An example would be TNA who have still failed to get a 1.5 rating with their product in 6 year's.

WWE is very successful still with their current product. Banning thing's like chair shot's to the head, and blading is not only making the WWE look like a cohesive, caring company, but is helping the performer's as well. Having diva's not act like ****'s and not run around half naked is making the company look like a postitve company when it comes to women. The WWE just hit one million buy's with Wrestlemania, their merchanidse is still great, and the prodtuct is great.

No offense, but thats not the case. Its not PG, it wouldnt be any diffrent with TV-14. Im tired of seeing posts about PG/TV-14 crap. Rating dosn't mean anything. The superstars should be able to adapt to the enviroment. And there isnt that big of a diffrence. Theyve said every curse word in PG this year except the F word.

Wrestling in the 80s and early 90s was a pastime. It wasn't mainstream television. When I said it's like Austin drinking soda, I meant in the sense that it restricts certain actions by becoming PG. It's placing a restriction on where the character can go by limiting what they can and cant do.

It wasn't mainstream television? It was on freaking NBC! You can't get anymore mainstream than that. It was on Sports Illustrated, all over MTV.

The 80's and early 90's was the most mainstream period in the history of the business.

That's why they call it the Boom Period, because its popularity exploded in a way it never has and hasn't since.

The Andre vs Hogan rematch on the Main Event was seen by over 30 million people.

Michael Cole said the word bastard the week prior. We've seen the Miz say ass and bitch before. Cole was in the Attitude Era as an interviewer but he wasn't prolific. Miz wasn't in the Attitude Era at all.

Because they say a word once or twice doesnt mean a thing. Hell, PG movies can cuss a couple times. Besides, it not about cussing. It's about developing interesting characters. Like I said, Orton aside, there's not really anybody who is interesting as a character. The wrestlers today aren't that great on the mic and there's not many that can capture a crowd.

Attitude Era was important, nobody denies that, but it takes a real stupid idiot to think that the AE needs to be ressurected or relived. Wrestling is a process of evolution, and WWE evolved from the Attitude Era because the Attitude Era was the WWE in overdrive. Why go into overdrive when you have no competition?

That's exactly my point. The WWE have become lazy with their product because it's now a monopoly. The reason why WWE gained the monopoly is because of it's edgier product and emphasis on putting out good storylines with great characters. Because the emphasis is lost on this, so is the quality of the product

I'm a fan of the WWE. Same way I'm a fan of TNA, ROH, PWG, EVOLVE and other wrestling promotions. I don't want to see WWE losing money, they don't deserve too. They are a business, they don't always make the correct decisions but they know how to run a business and a business is about making a profit.

Again, no point in the WWE going into overdrive when they have no real competition.

And thats the problem IMO. Vince couldn't give a damn if it was 3 midgets having a pillow fight as long as it brings money in. It's not about entertaning the fans anymore, it's about lining his pockets. I dont accept that as a reason for why he should become lazy with the quality of the product

As wrestling evolves as does the fanbase and the demographic. The demographic is kids. Kids won't give the correct chants and such, hence why when WWE do shows from Philidelphia, Chicago and New York the reactions are Attitude-esq. You aren't the demographic, if you don't like it, turn it off.

I understand the evolution of wrestling, which is why I'm saying it should evolve again. Im not asking for the Attitude era to be brought back and the same storylines put out again. It wouldnt work. What I'm saying is that it needs to change. Everybody has gotten too comfortable with their role (both the executives and the wrestlers)

No. Not really. And of course you can hear him, he's speaking into a microphone. You're supposed to hear him.

Sarcasm clearly isn't your friend

Nope, not at all. The difference is, the people who don't watch the product shouldn't have an opinion based off the past. The Attitude Era is done. Dead. Finito. Deceased. Wrestling has evolved into its current stage, and It'll continue to do so. If you don't like it, and you don't watch it, why complain?

It's because I watched what I watched in the past that I have an opinion on what's going on today. I was witness to some of the greatest entertainers this industry has ever seen and to see it come so far at that point to seeing where it is now, in such a short space of time, is something that, as a fan of wrestling, I dont think is healthy.

Look guy's im not trying to make this post a negative post.. Im just trying to say that if they where to change back to TV14 which I doubt it every much. Granded it my never change back to TV14 but the WWE goes threw different time periods over the years, and yes we my never have another attitude era... but who's to say we mit have another "Aggression Era". I do believe the Orton, Punk, Cena characters would be alot better then what we have today if it was a TV14. In my opinion

Roddy Piper didn't need TV-14 or cursing to get over and cut a great promo.

Nor did Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase.

I'm sick of people saying TV-14 makes everything better, because quite frankly it doesn't.

And PG doesn't mean you can't say "ass". Look up what the damn ratings mean and how the D S L V apply to it.

Do you guys actually realize that only Stone, Rock, and only a few others are allowed to curse on the mic. Wrestling doesn't have to go back to Blood, Tits and Ass but come on wouldn't be a little better if the whole roster could get a little more aggressive on the mic. Like Orton saying he's gonna "punt someone in the skull" sounds okay but him saying im gonna "knock your damn head off" sounds better and deeper. Also people should be able to say im gonna kick your ass or call people bitches and jackass.

Just think of why more than half the roster sucks on the mic because they have to express anger in a watered down way. Like when someones angry in real life they don't hold back because their pissed and who do you know in the world who doesn't freak out and snapped with curse words when their pissed off. Believe it or not but talking a big game actually makes you look tough other than saying something like "I'm going to beat the crap outta you" which I or anyone else wouldn't take you serious and would laugh at you like a joke. Aggression brings more out of a story and makes you actually think you mean what you say in a promo.

Also I don't think they should be cursing left and right but in big moments to progress the feud.

Are you fucking serious? Stone Cold drinks beer whenever he shows up on WWE television.

People say ass on occasion.

It doesn't carry the same sting at all. Taking away that restriction allows for characters to be built and made.

Did your parents drop you on your head when you were a child, or were they siblings? Name more than 6 guys that could carry a main event match in the Attitude Era. The only ones I could think of were Triple H, Rock, Stone Cold, Foley, and Taker, with Kane on the outside looking in. Now look at the PG Era, and you have Cena, Orton, Miz, Del Rio, CM Punk, Edge, Christian, Triple H, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Rey Mysterio, Sheamus, and new guys are breaking into the main event every year. While you may not like a handful of these characters, there's no denying that every single one of them gets a main event level reaction out of the fans. If there's one thing that the PG Era has done for the WWE (and it has done a lot more than this), it's helped build main event level characters.

First of all, what you're doing is REALLY annoying. Be fucking respectful and do the quote thing right. It's not that hard, and if you're too stupid to figure out how to do it (which wouldn't surprise me), ask for help.

Again, you took it very literally. What I was saying is that the rating acts like a restriction.

Except they don't... at all. All it means is you can't curse as much, which really isn't a problem.

Ocassion? Im done.

It shouldn't be said more than on occasion. Someone brought up the example of Cole calling Alex Riley a bastard, a word that we haven't heard used in the WWE in ages, and it made the use of that word so much more effective. If John Cena went out every night and told his opponent that their ass was gonna get kicked, nobody would care. However, if he only said it once in a very rare while, people would know that he meant serious business when he said it.

You forget that Bret Hart brought the Attitude era in with Stone Cold. But if you want me to name names, sure:

Actually, the Attitude Era began after Stone Cold beat Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 14, so Hart was never a part of the Attitude Era.

Bret Hart

Explained

Stone Cold
The Rock

Two of the names I gave.

Shawn Michaels

Was injured and not wrestling for the entirety of the Attitude Era.

Triple H
Undertaker

Two more names I gave you.

He was always a force, but rarely a threat.

I gave you that one too...

Chris Jericho wasn't a main event talent during the Attitude Era, and spent most of those years battling for midcard titles in feuds with people like Chyna. In fact, he was more of a main eventer in the PG Era than he ever was in the Attitude Era, so I'm adding him to my list. Thanks!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

You're joking, right? Benoit was barely a main eventer until 2002/2003, long after the Attitude Era died.

Angle didn't become a main event level talent until about 2000/2001, the dying days of the Attitude Era.

Now compare those 11 to the list you named and tell me if they are at all anywhere NEAR these in terms of ability or entertainment.

You actually named 5... and they were the ones I gave to you. Now, granted, even John Cena and Randy Orton, the WWE's current top draws, are not as talented as Stone Cold and The Rock were, but the WWE is in a period where quantity is king. We have more PPVs, more weekly television shows, more three hour Raws, more title changes, and more top level wrestlers. What WWE hasn't sacrificed, though, is match quality, which is what all the main event faces of the WWE have in common, the ability to work a damn good match.

[/quote]I mean, really? Sure, they get a main even reaction out of the fans today, but put them in the Attitude era and the majority would get beer cups thrown at them. If you put the Attitude era wrestlers in front of the fans of today, I guarantee you that more of them would be entertained than not.[/QUOTE]

I'd much rather see the 13+ superstars of today have varying feuds than the same 5 guys fight each other over and over again.

I dont like this "PG" Era...Its boring..Not enough Heels..I like R-Truth as a Heel but his lines are whinney and could be a HELL of alot better and Christian is BETTER as a Heel..Of course some wrestlers are getting over big..CUZ ITS EASY TO PITCH TO A KID..WWE has how many shows?..RAW,Smackdown,Superstars...Not to long ago they came out with a Kids WWE magizine...3 shows,why not change one of them to TV14?

1st question is why did my response to you get deleted? lol

First of all, what you're doing is REALLY annoying. Be fucking respectful and do the quote thing right. It's not that hard, and if you're too stupid to figure out how to do it (which wouldn't surprise me), ask for help.

This way is alot faster. I could care less if you find it annoying.

Except they don't... at all. All it means is you can't curse as much, which really isn't a problem.

Not to mention the no chairshots to the head, very few occasions of blood, very few occasions of people being put through tables, etc.

It shouldn't be said more than on occasion. Someone brought up the example of Cole calling Alex Riley a bastard, a word that we haven't heard used in the WWE in ages, and it made the use of that word so much more effective. If John Cena went out every night and told his opponent that their ass was gonna get kicked, nobody would care. However, if he only said it once in a very rare while, people would know that he meant serious business when he said it.

Tell Stone Cold that he should only say ass once and it would be more effective and he would laugh in your face

Actually, the Attitude Era began after Stone Cold beat Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 14, so Hart was never a part of the Attitude Era.

Officially, as far as WWE says it does. But...

"However, the Attitude Era's origin is attributed to events that took place within the promotion during the second half of the 1990s. A notable date was during the 1996 King of the Ring tournament with Stone Cold Steve Austin's first usage of "Austin 3:16" which began the WWF's transition to an edgier product.

1997 was also a pivotal year that established the main framework for the Attitude Era. The year was notable for Steve Austin's rivalry with Bret Hart, which culminated with Austin's rise to prominence, as well the feud between Hart and Shawn Michaels"

Explained

Not quite.

Two of the names I gave.

Because they were the main eventers at the time, you idiot.

Was injured and not wrestling for the entirety of the Attitude Era.

He was still a main eventer, and also played a huge part in the era as the Comissioner which was a draw

He was always a force, but rarely a threat.

He still had main event draw during the Attitude era

Chris Jericho wasn't a main event talent during the Attitude Era, and spent most of those years battling for midcard titles in feuds with people like Chyna. In fact, he was more of a main eventer in the PG Era than he ever was in the Attitude Era, so I'm adding him to my list. Thanks!

Jericho was main eventing when he first joined

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

You're joking, right? Benoit was barely a main eventer until 2002/2003, long after the Attitude Era died.

Benoit had main event draw when he joined

Angle didn't become a main event level talent until about 2000/2001, the dying days of the Attitude Era.

Yet was still main eventing in the Attitude era

You actually named 5... and they were the ones I gave to you. Now, granted, even John Cena and Randy Orton, the WWE's current top draws, are not as talented as Stone Cold and The Rock were, but the WWE is in a period where quantity is king. We have more PPVs, more weekly television shows, more three hour Raws, more title changes, and more top level wrestlers. What WWE hasn't sacrificed, though, is match quality, which is what all the main event faces of the WWE have in common, the ability to work a damn good match.

Ill just agree to disagree with you on this. I respect your opinion though
I mean, really? Sure, they get a main even reaction out of the fans today, but put them in the Attitude era and the majority would get beer cups thrown at them. If you put the Attitude era wrestlers in front of the fans of today, I guarantee you that more of them would be entertained than not.

I'd much rather see the 13+ superstars of today have varying feuds than the same 5 guys fight each other over and over again.

Again, Ill agree to disagree[/QUOTE]

1st question is why did my response to you get deleted? lol

Probably because you're doing the quote thing wrong and all the moderator saw was your response of, "Yeah..." and deleted it since it was spam.

This way is alot faster. I could care less if you find it annoying.

Oh my goodness, you really ARE ******ed.

Not to mention the no chairshots to the head, very few occasions of blood, very few occasions of people being put through tables, etc.

If you want blood and chairshots to the head, go watch ECW, just don't expect to see much great wrestling. And tables? There have been two or three table spots in this month alone.

Tell Stone Cold that he should only say ass once and it would be more effective and he would laugh in your face.

One very special case, with The Rock being another. It's not in John Cena's character to say ass, so when he says it it's much more impactful. When Stone Cold says ass it's just him saying ass again, but when Cena says it you know he means business. It's more significant when Cena says it.

Officially, as far as WWE says it does. But...

"However, the Attitude Era's origin is attributed to events that took place within the promotion during the second half of the 1990s. A notable date was during the 1996 King of the Ring tournament with Stone Cold Steve Austin's first usage of "Austin 3:16" which began the WWF's transition to an edgier product.

1997 was also a pivotal year that established the main framework for the Attitude Era. The year was notable for Steve Austin's rivalry with Bret Hart, which culminated with Austin's rise to prominence, as well the feud between Hart and Shawn Michaels"

They lead up to the Attitude Era, yes, but they were not a part of it. The Boston Tea Party lead to the Revolutionary War, but it wasn't part of it. The same goes for Bret Hart's feud with Austin and the Attitude Era.

He was still a main eventer, and also played a huge part in the era as the Comissioner which was a draw.

He never main evented a single match in the Attitude Era as the Attitude Era began after Stone Cold won at WrestleMania 14. And yes, he was an effective commissioner, but NOBODY was turning on Raw to watch Shawn Michaels play an office role.

He still had main event draw during the Attitude era

At times, but not regularly.

Jericho was main eventing when he first joined

How do you figure? His first match was with Road Dogg, and his first feud was with Chyna.

Benoit had main event draw when he joined

Once again, you're high off your ass if you think Benoit was anywhere close to the main event when he started wrestling for the WWE, which was at the tail end of the Attitude Era to begin with.

Yet was still main eventing in the Attitude era

Not exactly. After his short run as WWE Champion he went right back to the midcard. I guess you could argue that he main evented for 4 months in the Attitude Era Meanwhile, Alberto Del Rio has already main evented for longer than that in the WWE.

Ill just agree to disagree with you on this. I respect your opinion though

I respect your right to have your own opinion, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's dumb. Every one is always clamoring about how the WWE needs new main event faces, that they're tired of Cena, Orton, Edge, Batista (another name I forgot to put on my list), Triple H, etc. Right now the WWE is at a place where they are able to provide fans with an absurdly large combination of main event talent. Not only that, but all of the guys in the main event are able to put on GREAT matches. In the Attitude Era, if you were Steve Austin you'd have four opponents to face, and they were Rock, Triple H, Foley, or Taker. In the PG Era, if you're John Cena you can feud with Miz, Del Rio, Punk, Orton, Christian, Jericho, Edge, Batista, Michaels, Triple H, and more. Not only that, but you're just as likely to get a great feud now as you were back then. If you can't get pleasure out of the program they show today, that's your problem, because there are still hundreds of thousands of people that love today's project.

I mean, really? Sure, they get a main even reaction out of the fans today, but put them in the Attitude era and the majority would get beer cups thrown at them. If you put the Attitude era wrestlers in front of the fans of today, I guarantee you that more of them would be entertained than not.

You keep trying to time travel, but you can't. Fact is that these guys are insanely over right now, and that's all that matters.

This argument is getting old folks. I loved the Attitude Era, but think about it, if it never ended it would be going on for over 15 years now, which not only would have made it stale and played out, but it would make the new stars feel like AE knockoffs. Those of you who pine for the edgier Attitude Era are right, the WWE isn't that interesting because they're not really geared towards you right now. You can accept it and try to enjoy it for what it is, or watch TNA trying desperately to relive that era. I agree with some ppl on here, after seeing the deaths of Benoit, Eddie, Macho, Test and others, I have no real need to see these folks destroy their bodies and minds in bloody matches or to show that every female wrestler is a ****e to satisfy some blood lust. I also don't need to hear someone cuss every 5 seconds to make a promo sound more intense. Promos aren't as good because there aren't as many good performers on the mic (Eddie, Y2J, Angle, Mankind and Owen Hart all gave great promos during varying stages of the AE and didn't have to cuss like Austin and Rocky to do it). Again, this era won't last forever, so you could either watch and find something to enjoy or change the channel and wait for the next era, but the non stop complaints? More stale then PG TV, far more stale.

Ever since Randy Orton's character changed into a dark deviever character.. I just think randy orton's character is not suited to the PG product.

Let me make this perfectly clear. Children are not incredibly stupid. This, as you know, is a male dominated market. In a male dominated market. There's Superman and there's Batman for those "cool" kids. Orton's batman.

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Ok just say for arguement sake that the WWE went back to TV14. I would think randy orton's character would benefit more in a TV14 environment, [/QUOTE]

No it won't. Why? Simply because his character is all it needs right now as a face who appeals to children. Remember, WWE would like nothing more than to be held in the same regard as Spongebob. If Spongebob's Squidward went TV-14 it wouldn't make sense.

he would be able to expand and evolve and make his character a bigger and better character he has today.

No he will not. WWE has soap opera writers, not Christopher Nolan.

The same goes for Cm Punk even do his character he has is straight edge and it does suit the PG product.. but I still think he would be much better in a TV14 product.

It would actually be more complicated. Morality for children is black and white, its not the same for us. Punk walks that line. He can turn face or remain heel as a cult figure. Frankly, TV-14 will ruin his heel character

T
here 's another superstar that no body likes right now and thats "John Cena".. back when Cena was a Thug Life Rapper I loved his gimmick I thought it was fresh and something different but ever since he turned into a watered down stale boring Super Cena that all the women and kids loves today.

With all due respect, WWE doesn't give a fuck about you.

In my opinion it's just killing his character he has going right now.. and to me that is not the true John Cena, the real john cena is the Thug Life in your face John Cena.. and yet again it's showing why the WWE are making a mockery out of these characters that could be much better to what they are today.

Believe me, I'd love nothing more than Cena to start rapping and tell the children exactly how stupid and pathetic their heroes are, and instead say "I'm the best you got" problem is, its politically incorrect. And politically incorrect+the children=Good bye

So what do you think is the PG Era / product holding back these wrestlers characters

No they're not. In fact its easy to say "shit fucking shitfuck!" Its not easy to improvise and make something funny so that its family friendly. Take a look at Pixar. Their movies are made for children but they still appeal to the general public? Why? Damn good storytelling. PG simply means "innovate" if you feel that hum our has failed miserably, feuds are being re-hashed, then its the creative and Vinny's fault. Not PG. That's ******ed.

And would you think the TV14 product would bring out a different element in these's wrestlers characters?? :lmao:

No.

What you said is fucking ******ed. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

No, the PG era does not do that. What the PG era does is censor "FUCK SHIT FUCKING SHITBAG FUCKING PUSSY HOLE BIOTCH FUCKING FUCK ASS ANAL SHIT!!!"

Stone Cold wouldn't be the same character in PG. He wouldn't be a soda drinking redneck in PG. In PG, he'd most likely be the guy that stands up for the common man, something like Dusty Rhodes but with a bit more edge. And no, I'm not saying he would swear, but simply that he wouldn't be as comical or as cheery as Rhodes was.

Imagine thinking for a second somebody with a half literate mind thinking about writing something like that. Imagine Austin going with it. Imagine Vince going with it.

I agree, but to an extent. Chains should be lifted off in terms of promos. Frankly, even real actors don't go by scripts anymore. Its called improvisation. And Improv is not always R rated. Superstars know there are kids watching I think if they conduct a promo they've thought up of and written, they should be fine. TV-14 is not needed for character change. It won't suddenly turn them into The Rock or Steve Austin, it'll make them caricatures of what could have been. Larger than life characters belong in a world of children. Which is what wrestling provides. Therefore, currently, the children market is a niche for wrestling.

The problem is elsewhere..not the pg rating, it is probably more the vision and decision making. The product is stale, boring, even frustrating at times. Yeah give me the "don`t like it , don`t watch it "bs....I am a wrestling fan, I love it...that`s why I still watch the wwe from time to time, even enjoy it at times. But they don`t have the kind of product I`d spend money on. The problem is that in comparison to the attitude era, today`s product is not even nearly as good in many aspects, too many aspects..it goes from characters to marketing to stories, feuds ...heck booking in general. This is not a pg problem....no it comes down the writers, characters and overall direction of the product. I get evolution , I truly do and am not for a return of attitude era, it wouldn`t work..it was something that worked in that time with that audience with that direction...wouldn`t work today. But they are doing it wrong and as the result you get a bad product.
Somebody said HBK vs. Bret or Austin vs. Bret or Savage vs. Steamboat was in pg....yeah they were and WWE can`t offer that today, it is not the rating, it`s the product.

Two things that would majorly make WWE unmissable every week would be stop having scripts written word for word for near enough all Superstars...god damn you want a break out star it's going to be near enough impossible to do that having someone else put words in their mouths, that's not this wrestler personality let him do it his way just give him some direction in what he has to get across and make him hit his marks then you can get something unique.

Giving wrestler a slightly bigger move set, pretty much everyone knows it's been limited so it can look like every move is perfected, really do we want that so much were it's the same stale 10/15 moveset but it looks perfected so it's ok...no it's not, it's fucking boring Wrestling should always be unpredictable and when you see the same '5 moves of doom' every damn week it takes away suspense.

But these two things don't need the AE to make this possible they could do this in PG which annoys me, i'm not wanting blood or ****ty woman on my screen i just want to see a Wrestler be himself, which is fading more and more.

If someone says it's up to the talent to make themself a star how the hell can they do that? be themselves? is that possible when you have someone writing for you word for word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back