• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PG & Attitude Era Thread

Calderownz

Brilliant Idiot
Every era/phase has it's time and place but eventually gets phased out. The PG Era will be no different.

My questions are:

- What effect will the PG era have, long term?
- When will it begin to be phased out?
- Out of the younger guys, who will help move the company in a new direction?

Damn... nice thread idea. I for one do want to see the PG Era gone but does it need it to be gone for WWE to progress, nah. The PG era will go when children stop watchin/buying into WWE through merchandise etc but I really don't mind this, just make it every few years a Wrestlemania is non-PG =] and warn every shild's adult it isn't PG etc, WWE probably needs to atleast do this to keep its PG hating fans interested *although I'm a PG hating fan and I'm interested right now so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about lol*.

I think telling the future in the sense of younge talent is a bit hard but I think the main one that I can put my finger on is Sheamus, he will most likely become a veteran Triple H type character in the long term =].

The PG era will be over as soon as Linda McMahon loses in her bid for the Senate.

Although, she might not lose. The fact that we can't turn on the TV (in Connecticut) without seeing her ads might yet enable her to buy the election by spending $50 million of her own money, just as she said she would.

It's pathetic, but the polls indicate that it's possible.

I read that WWE stated that it will never go back to pg14.. which really sucks

They said similar things during the Attitude era. That, "this is the new direction."

Million-to-billion dollar companies will change anything when they begin to lose money or when they don't move upwards. But, that quote at least means it's here for a while.

I think the PG Era will last about another five years because by then several of the WWE's main eventers will be retired and the current midcard will become the ME. Also, you have to remember that WWE eras are cyclical and there will be somewhat of an Attitude Era revival somewhere down the line. The whole reasoning behind the concept of the PG Era was to coincide with Linda's political campaign and to draw in kids to the product. The PG Era has been succesful and profitable thus far because it's target audience is children and teenagers. A kid-friendly and family-friendly product is beneficial to the ratings, merchandise, and profit because the children bring their parents in to it to buy them the clothes, toys, dvds, tickets, etc. The end of the PG Era will be gradual with PPV's becoming TV-14 again leading up to the shows as well. As far as the WWE's policy on chairshots and blood goes, I think that they will not be as restricted in the future but they will occur just not on a regular basis like the Attitude Era. As far as long-term effects of the PG Era goes, I think that the audience will definitely have increased in the 7+ years that it will have lasted. I also think that the return of "edginess" to the product will really help heels get over.

Within the next five years I think that all of these main event or mid-card talent will have retired...
Kane, Rey Mysterio, Edge, The Undertaker, The Big Show, Chris Jericho, MVP, The Great Khali, Mark Henry, Goldust, William Regal
Obviously several lower card talents will be released in that timeframe as well
Lastly, I think that Triple H will either be retired and working in a managerial role or in a limited wrestling role

So to balance out the loss of so many WWE Superstars I predict these Superstars to rise to ME status if they haven't already...
Definitely the faces of the company will still be John Cena and Randy Orton but other prominent main eventers will be...
CM Punk, The Miz, John Morrison, Wade Barrett, Sheamus, Christian, Kofi Kingston, Alberto Del Rio, Daniel Bryan, Drew McIntyre, and Cody Rhodes,
while the upper midcard will include
R-Truth, Ted DiBiase, Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler, Evan Bourne, Justin Gabriel, Alex Riley, Michael McGillicuty (with a different name I hope), Kaval, Zack Ryder, Tyson Kidd, DH Smith, Tyler Black, and I think Mason Ryan from FCW will be a solid upper midcard-occasional ME player

These are just my opinions and predictions and I am really looking forward to what the rest of the IWC has to say.

Simple really, WWE is a for-profit business. As such, it's sole reason to exist is to make money. Hence, the PG era will last for as long as it is profitable. Once it's proven to be a bad business strategy it will be changed. Until that time there's no compelling reason for WWE to alter course. BTW by "bad" I mean a less than optimal/efficient profit generating business model.

The PG era will be over as soon as Linda McMahon loses in her bid for the Senate.

Wrong. WWE is in a PG environment now ultimately because of the decision to go public many years ago. The shift to PG started long before Linda's campaign started.

Although, she might not lose. The fact that we can't turn on the TV (in Connecticut) without seeing her ads might yet enable her to buy the election by spending $50 million of her own money, just as she said she would.

You really don't get how it works, do you? If Linda wins, it's because nobody has had to gall to call her out on her WWE career in the proper manner. If she wins, it's because the Democratic party this year has no idea what to do against a resurgent Republican party.

Being very conservative I'd say at least until linda mcmahon doesn win her campaign at th very earliest. All the PPV rates it has to be determined which proportion of the market that is and if it is found that the viewings drop is actually due to kids no longer watching and that adults who are lifelong fans are the ones who will still watch it for anything. Then, I predict which will eventually hapen, only then will it move back.

You see if the business was completely adults, or more specifically guys like 16-40 age then I think that more of that group will start to buy tickets becaus ethye wont have to be seated next to a bunch of kids and hear their predictable reactions. i think if the market is focused on the right demographic it will grow again. The thing I never got is that obviously kids used to watch it when it wasn't PG. Youll always see kids in the audiences from back in the day besides I remember buying tapes that were 18 when I was like 10 because it applied to me. They make the presumption that because the show is PG that it is marketed more towards kids, it probably has the same share of kids as it used to and a lesser share of adults but who knows possibly never. That is precisely why WWE needs competition to drive it either to really drive the quality of its work or force it back to adult to make it compete

Heyman has said how wrestling is no longer in and cool, which is true. older people just dont watch it, or at least acknowledge that they watch it. i have only seen 2 adults in the longest time wearing a wrestling shit, bound for glory shirt and rey mysterio shirt btw, but have seen many kids with wrestling shirts (mostly cena, lol). the reason cena is so big is not because he gets the best reaction. you still hear boos from almost every arena he is in. the reason cena is at the top is because he can move so much merchandise since the kiddies love him. since wrestling isnt the in thing now, they will focus on what makes them money, and if they want children oriented sponsors, they have to stay pg. i dont think the pg era is going to go anywhere, unless tna becomes actual competition. if tna becomes close to as big as the wwe, then the wwe will have to become edgier to keep their viewers. i dont think tna will get that big, but i could see it happening in 5 years.

so in short i say it lasts 5 years, or indefinately.

I don't see WWE switching to a non-PG format for some time. They are only ten months into a five year deal with Mattel, which was described by Vince McMahon as a "game changer". Having business with one of the most "family-friendly" conscious companies in the world doesn't give WWE room to maneuvre back to a more restricted rating. PG doesn't bother me at all, SmackDown has always been PG anyway.

I heard someone say wrestling is cyclical, and that is true. Someone else said that it is whatever is most profitable. That is true too. Its all about fan base. Its most profitable when you are promoting to your most significant fan base. Which itself is also cyclical.
I am 26. When I was young, wrestling was aimed at little kids. The late 80's early 90's Hulk Hogan era was very much like todays, as far as what they will and won't allow and personalities, etc. As I grew up to become a teenager, wrestling grew with me. (this is also due in part of the monday night wars). However, the attitude era hit when my generation was hitting their rebellious teenage stage, and everything had to be awesome and over the top and exciting, and have "attitude". That lasted until we started to turn 20, when It became whatever that era was called that just had sick and twisted things going on, for more adults and could easily scare kids. (although plenty watched). Then we all became full fledged adults, some moved on, some still are entertained by wrestling, some still love it. But the primary fan base was no longer us. It is the new generation of little kids.

Therefore, as these kids start to grow older, and this current set of young kids start to hit their rebellious teenage phase, wrestling will again grow along with them, and it will again go through another attitude-type era, another whatever era, and then in 20 years or so (if it is still around), it will start another PG type era all over again for these kids kids.

One day, 15 years from now, these little kids will remember John Cena and Randy Orton and Big Show with the same fondness we remember Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant and anyone else you loved from your child hood.

DirtyJosé;2522589 said:
Wrong. WWE is in a PG environment now ultimately because of the decision to go public many years ago. The shift to PG started long before Linda's campaign started.

you mean the WWE that went public years ago then had a live sex celebration. The same WWE up until a year and a half ago allowed blood at least on RAW but during the Hogan PG era let him bleed all the time. Are you sure we're talking about the same company who's chairman said to his top star " You My ***** " the same WWE that allowed it's chairman to mock GOD! the lesbian angle, made a horror movie called See No Evil with all the blood and graphic violence and don't forget in The Condemned a chick gets raped. All of these events happened after the company went public but before the campaign started

Hopefully, not for many more years.

I know I'm not going to win many friends here by saying this, but professional wrestling is for grownups (and teenagers). It is NOT meant for small children and should not be packaged that way. If WWE keeps with this whole "PG" crap, they might as well air Raw on the Disney Channel, Smackdown on Nickelodeon and they'll lose a lot of fans.

you mean the WWE that went public years ago then had a live sex celebration. The same WWE up until a year and a half ago allowed blood at least on RAW but during the Hogan PG era let him bleed all the time. Are you sure we're talking about the same company who's chairman said to his top star " You My ***** " the same WWE that allowed it's chairman to mock GOD! the lesbian angle, made a horror movie called See No Evil with all the blood and graphic violence and don't forget in The Condemned a chick gets raped. All of these events happened after the company went public but before the campaign started

And they suffered for all of these actions. Stockholders, partners, and advertisers then began to come down on WWE for these things, and for the losses of Benoit and Eddie and the controversy sounding them. Also, WWE Films is not WWE television, champ. They wouldn't have to deal with most of these issues if they hadn't taken the company public in the 90's to secure funding to survive the beating they were taking at the time.

Are you sure we're talking about the same company who's chairman said to his top star " You My ***** "

Hey :) That was in Detroit (where im from) so I remember that :) It was funny cuz booker T was standing right there afterwards lol.

Anyway, Im also 26. And grew up into my teenage years with the Attitude Era. One day, It will go back but never be the same. They have learned from the mistakes they have made, and will incorporate some of the old attitude era and this new PG era, in whatever new era it will be called.

Hopefully as soon as Linda McMahon loses the race, Vince will immediately change its programing.

Im hoping to see a drop in the stupid comedy such as hornswaggle and santino. They need stronger language but they dont have to go overboard. With it. But finally, the thing that WWE needs the most is the return of blood. Its so unrealistic to watch someone go through a hell in the cell match and have both wrestlers walk out completely unscathed.

The switch to PG a while before Linda's campaign isn't necessarily meaning that they are not connected. I've yet to see somebody just on the turn of a hat decide to run for public office. On top of that, Linda knew that her WWE image would be something she'd need to fix since it'd be an easy target for her opposition.

The WWE was rather outrageous for most of it's public years. So you can't blame it on that. You also can't say that the PG era gives the most ratings/profits since the Attitude era completely trumped this era.

but even if they started making an edgy product again, they'd still have the same lousy writing and crappy in-ring action (wrestling) that they currently have. Putting more blood and adult themes isn't going to fix this problem.

DirtyJosé;2522922 said:
Also, WWE Films is not WWE television, champ.

so never mind that it's still WWE and on WWE television they show trailers and behind the scene footage from these movies produced by WWE Films. John Cena pushing a man threw a glass window is that not violence and the only way you see these trailers are on WWE television

To me, this has always been a "damned no matter what you do" kind of question. Just by virtue of what it is, wrestling is rough and tumble sport. It may be scripted but it's still simulating people beating the hell out of each other. Appearing to rub somebody's face across the top rope doesn't blind them but the point is to let it APPEAR as if that is what's being done and the same goes for everything else from the time the first pyro hits until the show ends. Just because of what it is, it can only be tamed down so much before it goes from being scripted to being a total joke. A dainty slap in the face or a kick that even the rafter seats can see didn' come close would push wrestling from just the made-up to the ridiculous.

In the heyday of Hogan, Macho Man, Superfly, Piper, etc. the story-telling was much better than it is now. With only 4 PPVs a year the builds for stories, feuds, and alliances were much better. We all know that George the Animal wasn't real but the story of his crush on Elizabeth was told and played out in such a way that you actually looked forward to seeing it and enjoyed watching it. Though I never could agree with the idea of blading, I think now the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.

And if there is any truth at all to what talent roster has commented anonymously, all of this is happening under the "leadership" of people who dont' like to admit they might be wrong.

it will last as long as the people on USA network say so. USA pressured Vince for their content which is the reason for the switch to pg from tv 14. Solution is to move to another network.

Well you know i would post on this....

Atleast within 5 years...McMahon has all the money one man could want. Sooner or later his pride will take over. He wont be able to stand to see these lower and lower ratings numbers..They will STAY plumeted untill something changes.

Like the song title goes, Things change...Its called Evolution...The PG era will move out and and a watered down version of AE will resurge...

I don't see the need to switch out of PG. TV-14 is just an excuse instead of writing something decent they can have the wrestlers swear a couple of times and call that a storyline. With the PG era they should be forced into creative writing that can entertain everyone. People need to realise wrestling doesn't need to be TV-14 for it to be good. It all depends on the people writing the show.

lol @ the PG-era.
I don't mind PG. I saw movies like "Despicable Me" over the summer and loved it.
I play Mario, Sonic, and all them "kiddie" games over Halo, CoD, etc.
PG isn't necessarily the problem. The quality of the wrestling is. That said, I think the real question is "When will PG stop negatively affecting the wrestling that WWE gives its consumers?"

ten years from now.... seriously. even if linda loses they aren't gonna cut their losses. plus I sadly think the pg thing is working. I work at an elementary school and you would be suprised by how many 6 year olds come in there with john cena merchandise on or action figures with them.... Give it about two more years and cenamania will be running wild over you!!!!!!!!

Last time WWE changed, was then they were forced by WCW to do so in 1996-1997. This was also the time that wrestlers who wouldnt otherwise have been given a chance, got their breaks. Guys like Austin and Foley would not have been given a chance had the Kliq run the place like they did years prior.

WWE is run by people and people only change when they are forced to do, WWE has to hit rock bottom (no pun intended) for Vince McMahon to say "this is not working" and they are losing money.

WWE is still making somewhat of a profit, but the declining ppv buys, ratings etc will eventually hit the money and once it goes "red ink" they will have to change.

If RAW drops around to a 2.0-2.5 rating range and stays there for months then im pretty sure WWE would change things drastically. They arent happy with being in 3.X for years now but they seem content for that at least.

The best thing that could happen to WWE (and professional wrestling in general) would be a strong TNA, aimed at the more adult crowd. If TNA could just get its act together and really compete, it'd force WWE to rethink its own programming. There is also a definite market out there for wrestling fans who like it a little rougher, less juvenile and more "real". WWE was at its best at a time when WCW was strong, and this wasn't just because of the Attitude era.

Besides, even much of the "PG" era stuff in WWE isn't really suitable for young kids. With PG programming, WWE are literally forced to dilute their superstars' characters or be stuck with John Cena the way that he is so as to keep little kids happy who have made him their role model. I cannot help but think how much more effective a character like Randy Orton would have been 10 years ago (he could have been today's answer to Stone Cold Steve Austin, IMO).

I'm not necessarily saying that we need to have blood or constant bad language, but as I've said previously, wrestling is for adults and maybe older kids/teenagers who are mature enough to realize that it isn't real and that none of the stunts or actions should be attempted at home. If I had kids, I would not take them to a wrestling show until they were at least 13 or 14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back