Peyton Manning: Time to retire?

J.J.

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Arguably in any sport I would say a career should be defined by accomplishments on that team. I guess in a sense that makes Tom Brady the best as far as modern day quarterbacks, right? Peyton is head and shoulders the best Quarterback of the last 15 years. I'll always say that Joe Montana is the greatest Quarterback I've ever seen but Manning runs a close second.

It's time for him to call it quits, undoubtedly. No farewell tour, no coming back to claim his starting spot, no going to another team. We've seen quite a few quarterbacks in the past overstay their time in the league and I don't think Peyton Manning will be one of them.

Clearly anyone that is a fan of NFL has seen his decline in productivity this season, followed by being out with an apparent foot injury. Is it time for him to hang up the cleats?

With all the rest he's gotten being injured, plus Osweiller showing signs of being a young quarterback who makes mistakes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Manning start again this season. But given how he was playing most games before his injury, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him retire after it ends.

Unless he comes on extremely strong and starts playing like his old self again, I don't see him giving it another shot after the season. It's up to him though. Some people have a hard time letting go.

I feel he will be one of those guys that'll hang it up before he pushes himself out there unsure of himself. Which is normal for many QBs in the past. Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Joe Montana, ect all hung out there a little too long. If he cannot come back and be at the level he was before - I hope he hangs it up.

Why is there a question mark?

It was clear LAST YEAR it was time for him to retire, and that was before he came out this year and lead the league in interceptions and had near the bottom of the league in QBR.

He was abjectly awful in his last game before being pulled, and is far from the first transcendant athlete who was the last person in the world to realize he was finished.

Down the stretch last season he started having quad problems. But overall he performed well for a 38 year old throwing damn near 40 touchdowns. Better than majority of the QBs in the league. Convincing enough to believe he could come back this season and perform well. Unfortunately after that Chiefs game earlier in the season I was convinced he was done.

Now many will argue he has earned the opportunity to come back and play because of his accomplishments over the years.

Now many will argue he has earned the opportunity to come back and play because of his accomplishments over the years.

His past accomplishments + the 7-0 start for his team might have served to convince him he's still got it, conveniently overlooking the fact it was primarily their defense that got them there.

Time to go, Peyton. :sad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back