Peyton Manning: Maybe Not As Great As He Appears

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
When I say Manning may not be as great as he appears, I'm not talking about his football career. He's arguably the greatest quarter back to ever play the game. His accomplishments speak for themselves. What I meant by saying Manning may not be as great as he appears is that his character may not be as great as we once thought it was.

This past week a story broke in USA Today that ten women are in a lawsuit against the University of Tennessee for allowing a culture of sexual harassment against women employed by the University. In the lawsuit, it was mentioned that in 1996 Peyton Manning, allegedly, purposely forced his genitals into the face of a female trainer for the football team at Tennessee. Peyton's side of the story is that while the female trainer was checking his foot, he attempted to moon another teammate who was across the room as a gag and that what happened was a complete accident. The female trainer ended up leaving her job at the University of Tennessee and sued the University. They ultimately settled the suit and all parties involved signed a confidentiality agreement. Then, in 2003 in a book that he wrote with his father, Manning brought up the incident in what looked like an attempt to discredit the woman involved. So because he broke the confidentiality agreement and in his book he said some pretty unflattering things about her, she sued Manning for defamation and again they settled. Now there is a suit against the University involving 10 other women employees and because of it this story about Manning as been brought to the forefront.

If there is any truth at all to the woman's version of the story that Manning purposely forced his genitals into her face then there is cause to pause and rethink some things involving Manning. I mean, Manning, to a lot of people, was class personified. He was squeaky clean and we never heard of any transgressions against him. For some reason, though, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this whole story for one reason. Why now? Why, after 20 years are we just now hearing about something potentially awful that Manning may have done in college? It just doesn't make sense to me. When any other athlete does something, it sticks with them and we hear about it continually. Why not this?

What do you guys think? Should we rethink the way we view Peyton Manning? Does this affect his legacy? Why are we just now hearing about it? Was the media protecting him or is this a convenient smear campaign after he won the Superbowl and is about to retire? Let me know your opinions.

It's Peyton Manning, he's been the poster child of the NFL seemingly forever and they do what they can to protect his image. I don't really think it matters, this was something that happened in college, he was a star QB and probably was still juvenile at that stage in his life. I've said this before on many celebrities and athletes but this shit happened a long time ago, I think it's pretty stupid to crucify a guy because of something he did when he was in his late teens as it really doesn't represent who that person is now.

Manning has been the epitome of class pretty much his whole NFL career, why ruin that for something he did at a young age? Mark Wahlberg damn near beat a guy to death in his younger years and you don't hear about that anymore. Why? Because he's a different person now and the same goes with Peyton Manning. If he did that to 10 other women then it will get settled (probably out of court) and everything will go back to normal because there is really no point to shit on a guy for something that happened a long time ago. Of course there are exceptions to the rule (like with Bill Cosby) but this is something that didn't involve drugging or raping someone. It doesn't really come off as bad to me, it comes off as juvenile. Not saying he shouldn't pay for it in some fashion but this really shouldn't be a big deal.

I don't think it should affect how people view Manning, it shouldn't affect his legacy, we're probably hearing about it now because Manning was already in the forefront with all the talks about him possibly retiring and much like the Arnold scandal that came right after his term as governor, they probably just wanted to wait until his career was pretty much over before they bothered bringing in the dirt.

What I find amazing is that at first there was a bunch of jack-off sports writers playing with the idea that anybody should be ashamed for questioning whether or not Peyton Manning forced a woman's face against his crotch. It was obviously an attempt to fuck with our heads and make us feel like monsters for even paying attention to the buzz.

Fast forward a few days; now it seems like most articles are acknowledging that something probably happened. So in a very abrupt way, they're trying to imply that something happened and being aware of it should make us want to move past it and never think about it again. Oh, by the way; Peyton Manning is just so fucking adorable.

I've been saying this amongst friends for years, most upper echelon athletes are elevated to a ridiculous pedestal with a false image of honor and integrity, it's been this way for a long time. Now with all the social media and 24/7 coverage of these guys off the field it seems every day has a new headline about scandals in NCAA programs and all kinds of ugly off the field domestic issues with pro's. We've always been way too quick to worship these guys who while athletically gifted, are still human and are usually dingleberries. That being said there are a lot of genuine good guys in professional sports but they rarely get as much mainstream attention as the TMZ fodder

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back