Pete Rose: Worthy or Not?

Does Pete Rose belong IN the Hall of Fame?

• Yes. So does William Perry.

• No. Neither does William Perry.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
peterose.jpg

Peter Edward Rose, Sr. (born April 14, 1941 in Cincinnati, Ohio), nicknamed Charlie Hustle, is a former player and manager in Major League Baseball. Rose played from 1963 to 1986, best known for his many years with the Cincinnati Reds. Rose, a switch hitter, is the all-time Major League leader in hits (4,256), games played (3,562), at-bats (14,053)[1], and outs (10,328). He won three World Series rings, three batting titles, one Most Valuable Player Award, two Gold Gloves, the Rookie of the Year Award, and made 17 All-Star appearances at an unequaled five different positions (2B, LF, RF, 3B, and 1B).

Rose's nickname, "Charlie Hustle", was given to him for his unique playing style. Even when being walked, Rose would sprint to first base, instead of the traditional trot to the base. Rose was known for sliding headfirst into a base, his signature move. This method is now used almost exclusively by stealing base runners today, and has been ever since the late 70's.

In August 1989, three years after he retired as an active player, Rose agreed to permanent ineligibility from baseball amidst accusations that he gambled on baseball games while playing for and managing the Reds; some accusations claimed that he bet on, and even against, the Reds. After years of public denial, in 2004, he admitted to betting on, but not against, the Reds (there has never been any evidence that he ever bet against the Reds). After Rose's ban was instated, the Baseball Hall of Fame formally voted to ban those on the "permanently ineligible" list from induction. Previously, those who were banned (most notably, Shoeless Joe Jackson) had been excluded by informal agreement among voters. The issue of Rose's possible re-instatement and election to the Hall of Fame remains a contentious one throughout baseball.

On a team with many great players that is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest teams ever, Rose was viewed as one of the club's leaders (along with future Hall of Famers Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan and Tony Pérez). The influence that Rose's hustling team attitude had on his teammates was very likely a factor in the success of what was called "The Big Red Machine." His 1975 performance was considered outstanding enough that he earned the Hickok Belt as top professional athlete of the year and Sports Illustrated magazine's "Sportsman of the Year" award. The following year, Rose was a major force in helping the Reds repeat as World Series champions. The 1976 Reds swept the Phillies 3-0 in the National League Championship Series and then swept the Yankees 4-0 in the World Series. The 1976 Cincinnati Reds remain the only team since the expansion of the playoffs in 1969 to go undefeated in the postseason.

On February 4, 1991, the Hall of Fame voted to formally exclude individuals on the permanently ineligible list from being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Rose is the only living member of the ineligible list. Players who were not selected by the Baseball Writers Association of America could be considered by the Veterans Committee in the first year after they would have lost their place on the Baseball Writers Association of America's ballot. Under the Hall's rules, players may appear on the ballot for only fifteen years, beginning five years after they retire. Had he not been banned from baseball, Rose's name could have been on the writers' ballot beginning in 1992 and ending in 2006. He would have been eligible for consideration by the Veterans Committee in 2007, but did not appear on the ballot. In 2008 the Veteran's committee's rules for players stated that any person designated by the Office of the Commissioner of Major League Baseball as ineligible shall not be an eligible candidate." The same would be true for electing him as a manager.

Between the years 1998 and 2000, Rose appeared at World Wrestling Entertainment's annual WrestleMania pay-per-view event. At the 1998 event he served as "guest ring announcer" during a match between Kane and the Undertaker, after which he took a Tombstone Piledriver from Kane. For the next year's WrestleMania XV, Rose was portrayed as seeking revenge. To do so he dressed as the San Diego Chicken and "attacked" Kane before his scheduled match, only to take another Tombstone. He returned for a third (and so far final) time the following year, at Wrestlemania 16, but again was thwarted by Kane, as well as his tag team partner that night, Rikishi.

In addition to these three appearances, he appeared in a Halloween-themed commercial for WWE's No Mercy event in 2002 and was chokeslammed by Kane. In 2004, Rose was inducted into the "Celebrity Wing" of the WWE Hall of Fame. He was the first celebrity to go into the Hall, and was inducted at a ceremony prior to WrestleMania XX. His list of accomplishments and Championships (according to Wiki) are as follows:

Major League records:
Most career hits - 4,256
Most career outs - 10,328
Most career games played - 3,562
Most career at bats - 14,053
Most career singles - 3,215
Most career runs by a switch hitter - 2,165
Most career doubles by a switch hitter - 746
Most career walks by a switch hitter - 1,566
Most career total bases by a switch hitter - 5,752
Most seasons of 200 or more hits - 10
Most consecutive seasons of 100 or more hits - 23
Most consecutive seasons with 600 or more at bats - 13 (1968-1980)
Most seasons with 600 at bats - 17
Most seasons with 150 or more games played - 17
Most seasons with 100 or more games played - 23
Record for playing in the most winning games - 1,972
Only player in major league history to play more than 500 games at five different positions - 1B (939), LF (671), 3B (634), 2B (628), RF (595)

National League records:
Most years played - 24
Most consecutive years played - 24
Most career runs - 2,165
Most career doubles - 746
Most career games with 5 or more hits - 10
Modern (post-1900) record for longest consecutive game hitting streak - 44
Modern record for most consecutive hitting streaks of 20 or more games - 7
NL MVP Award (1973)
NL Rookie of the Year Award (1963)
17 All-Star selections
Three World Series rings (1975, 1976, 1980)
World Series MVP Award (1975)
Two Gold Glove Awards (1969 and 1970, both as an outfielder)
Roberto Clemente Award (1976)
The Sporting News Player of the Year (1968)
The Sporting News Sportsman of the Year (1985)
The Sporting News Player of the Decade (1970s)

Other achievements:
WWE Hall of Fame (Class of 2004)

Pete Rose: We're really getting into the thick of things now, aren't we? 3 appearances at WrestleMania, consecutively, and a No Mercy commercial. All of them having a direct connection to Kane, and suddenly it makes you a Hall of Famer? Are you fucking kidding me?!

I just have one thing, and one thing only to say. I wanna know who Pete Rose's agent was that signed him the contract deal to be apart of the initial WrestleMania, because whoever it was, sure as hell anal raped the W.W.F. badly and left them hurting and cripple. This is a Baseball player, one I might add that's in a league of his own with NOT being eligible to join the Baseball Hall of Fame.. so apparently W.W.F/E. is like that Old Lady you might know, that lives down the street and takes in strays.

Pete Rose should have his own wing of the Hall of Fame, next to the likes of William Perry & Johnny Rodz. He doesn't belong in the Wrestling Hall of Fame, and until he's actually removed, I'm willing to firmly say that anyone else could join and be compared to Hulk Hogan next to the likes of Rose. What are your thoughts and opinions on Pete Rose being in the Hall of Fame? Worthy or Not?

This was WWE trying to be main stream and trying to make a celebrity wing to the Hall of Fame. I wouldn't actually had minded the idea, except they stopped dead short at "The Fridge" William Perry. Rose wasn't a bad choice as an inductee for a celebrity wing as he was apart of 3 Wrestlemania's, they were really just going along with it cause of the whole Baseball HOF issue and trying to pick up some much needed news attention, but Perry, come on. Better choices could've been made, like Lawrence Taylor, Mr. T, Bob Uecker, or Muhammad Ali.

So my answer, no Pete Rose is not Hall of Fame worthy, same with William Perry. The only way they'd be worthy is if the WWE inducted a celebrity/athlete at every HOF. Otherwise, two blips on an otherwise empty celebrity wing is not enough to give reason for these two to be in the HOF.

He obviously shouldnt be in the WWE HOF. Rose was a baseball player, not a pro wrestler. The only reason the WWE put him in is because the MLB wouldnt. It was a desparate attempt to try to get media attention, that didnt even work. I like Pete Rose as a man, but he definantly doesnt deserve to be in the WWE HOF alongside the likes of Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, and Bret Hart.

That's a big negative. he's another reason as to why it's an embarassment. He was a celebrity that somehow built up what I guess you could call a feud with Kane over three years. He has no business in this and is there more or less as a joke to him not being in the baseball Hall. The one thing that I like about it is i remember a report from when he got in that said he was the most humble person you could ask for about being inducted. That's something I guess. Still no need for him though.

Pete Rose is only in the HOF to make a headline and prove that he'll get in one HOF while he's alive. WWE did it to get attention and it worked for the while. His appearances in WWE were entertaining only, but his introduction, alongside Perry to legitimise the 'Celebrity Wing' shows that it was done for the attention

Showtime hit it on the head. Only one way he should be in the Hall of Fame. Have a celebrity inducted every year. You were also right, saying there are many other celebrities that deserve to be in in. Put Alice Cooper in the Hall of Fame next to him. Throw in Drew Carey and David Arquette. But to just have two celebrities is horrid. But in that case, keep Pete... I almost say throw out the Refrigerator, and start inducting some better celebrities.

It was meant to be a joke and a shot at Major League Baseball, nothing more, nothing less. Who knows, maybe Vince is a big old Charlie Hussle fan, and said to himself, hey, those sob's that vote for the Baseball Hall of Fame might not put you in, but I'll put you in mine.

It was meant not to be taken seriously. I don't mind the Celebrity wing aspect of the Hall of Fame, but seeing as it had almost zero momentum outside of Pete and the Fridge, it's a big no. If it's a tradition that continues, then I honestly don't mind it.

No. No. No. No. NO.

I almost forgot he was even a part of any Wrestlemania until seeing this thread. His bits with Kane were funny, but they were forgotten as soon as the show got back underway. He absolutely belongs in the Baseball HoF, but not the WWE. He never even had a match, and never appeared as anything else. I can see refs or announcers making it (JR, Mike Chioda, Howard Finkel), but not Pete.

Pete Rose deserves to be in the hall of fame. While I would prefer he get into Cooperstown, I don't think that will happen. I'll have to settle for WWE's imaginary hall of fame. I think it's a nice thing to do for Baseball's hit King. Atleast now he can say that he is a hall of famer.

He's only a part of the celebrity wing, so it's not like they're inducting him for his accomplishments in wrestling. It's not a big deal at all. I don't see why you all are so against it.

He's only a part of the celebrity wing, so it's not like they're inducting him for his accomplishments in wrestling. It's not a big deal at all. I don't see why you all are so against it.

Well from what I understand he was inducted for his 3 WM appearances and No Mercy Commercial, which are in fact his contributions to wrestling, I think the idea of the celeberity wing alone takes any hope of legitimacy that the WWE HOF could hope to have (which isn't much to begin with) and flushes it down the toilet, my question is if you're going to induct a guy like Pete Rose who really did nothing than why not induct LT, at least he wrestled a fucking match, not to mention if your going to induct Pete Rose than who next, K-fed, Drew Carey, Kid Rocks dead midget sidekick, Mr. T, Butterbean?

Pete Rose deserves to be in the hall of fame. While I would prefer he get into Cooperstown, I don't think that will happen. I'll have to settle for WWE's imaginary hall of fame.

See, the first problem here is.. while I don't know his career in Baseball because I don't follow Baseball much, this has ZERO to do with what he did in that sport. Yet, he's largely IN this Hall of Fame, because of who he was, to that sport.

And you truthfully hit the nail on the head, because the induction of Pete Rose into the Wrestling Hall of Fame, (at least by W.W.E. standards) is purely making it an imaginary club. Rose's induction makes everyone else in the Hall of Fame look like they didn't accomplish shit.

I think it's a nice thing to do for Baseball's hit King. Atleast now he can say that he is a hall of famer.

Ultimately, if you were Pete Rose.. would you rather continue to wish you were in the Baseball H.o.F., or go around telling people you're in the W.W.E.'s H.o.F. for 3 WrestleMania appearances and a commercial? How many laughs do you think he'd receive at that point?

Better yet, how serious do you believe people will consider him now, for even agreeing to go into this Hall of Fame.. when he's done practically jack all for the sport-entertainment of Wrestling?

He's only a part of the celebrity wing, so it's not like they're inducting him for his accomplishments in wrestling.

The thing is though, it's a Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame. So the original concept and idea is, if you're in the H.o.F., it means you must've, or rather should've contributed in a big way, or a great deal, to the sport-entertainment.

Pete was tombstoned 3 times over 3 years. And had a role in a b-show Pay per view commercial.

If that's all it takes to make it into the W.W.E.'s Hall of Fame now, regardless what 'branch', then why even bother only accepting certain people? Why not just open the doors to everyone who's ever stepped into the business?

It's not a big deal at all. I don't see why you all are so against it.

It's a big deal because each year the W.W.E. is trying to make their Hall of Fame something special. This year, for exactly, they're bringing in Stone Cold Steve Austin.

So.. I ask you, does Steve Austin belong in the Hall of Fame? Most would say yes. But in the end, the real answer is.. "Why the fuck does it matter, he's joining a group of people who haven't accomplished hardly anything themselves to get in, so Austin's career accomplishments don't really matter."

That's exactly more or less what they're saying, but allowing Pete Rose to be in the Hall of Fame. Fuck Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair & Steve Austin. We have Pete Rose!

I actually have no idea who he is. He'll always just be the guy who attacked kane on three consecutive Mania events, to me.

But if WWE has a ''Celebrity'' wing and adds to it each year, then he's worthy of a spot in it. I remember him getting a better reaction than most when he was put in the HOF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back