• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Paul McCartney > George Harrison

This originally was in The Cage but wasnt noticed, and seeing as it is about music why not bring it here.

In the Music tourny so far I came across one comment in particular that intrigued me, from Chilean Cole Miner. 'How sad is it, really, that we are now left with arguably.... No, fuck arguably, factually.... Left with the least two talented Beatles possible?'

While I think George was a very talented musician, and of course trumps Ringo, I do not see how he can be considered a better musician then Paul McCartney, let alone have it stated as fact.

As a massive Beatles fan, there are few areas I find George tops Paul in, and I believe that Paul is without a doubt the more talented singer, songwriter and instrumentalist. I eagerly await an argument :)

This originally was in The Cage but wasnt noticed, and seeing as it is about music why not bring it here.

In the Music tourny so far I came across one comment in particular that intrigued me, from Chilean Cole Miner. 'How sad is it, really, that we are now left with arguably.... No, fuck arguably, factually.... Left with the least two talented Beatles possible?'

While I think George was a very talented musician, and of course trumps Ringo, I do not see how he can be considered a better musician then Paul McCartney, let alone have it stated as fact.

As a massive Beatles fan, there are few areas I find George tops Paul in, and I believe that Paul is without a doubt the more talented singer, songwriter and instrumentalist. I eagerly await an argument :)

Heh. Didn't get this til now. Sad, this could have been fun.

Anyway, the moment you said "songwriter", I gave up. Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Another Day in the Life. Easily trumps four minutes of "Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah. Nah, nah, nah, nah. Hey Jude". And some other words, really.

Look, Paul is good if you take him as he is, but really, the order goes John, George, Paul, Ringo. Of course, I'm more of a folksy guy myself, and a lot of what George wrote was quite folksy. That and I find Paul to be quite the cunt.

George was a good musician. The only thing is he didn't go solo mainstream till that song of him dancing around. And Macca just took off with Wings and stayed in the limelight coz of his spats with Lennon.

Harrison went into Eastern Classical music and picked up the Sitar FYI. Pandit Ravi Shankar , the most celebrated Sitar player, was his teacher. Also he delved into spirituality as well after the Beatles bust-up. Macca is good, but Harrison is in noways inferior.

Heh. Didn't get this til now. Sad, this could have been fun.

Anyway, the moment you said "songwriter", I gave up. Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Another Day in the Life. Easily trumps four minutes of "Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah. Nah, nah, nah, nah. Hey Jude". And some other words, really.

Look, Paul is good if you take him as he is, but really, the order goes John, George, Paul, Ringo. Of course, I'm more of a folksy guy myself, and a lot of what George wrote was quite folksy. That and I find Paul to be quite the cunt.

Serious man? I assume by Another day in the life you mean The Beatles most celebrated song, A Day In The Life... Written by John and Paul..

The ignorance in this post is amazing! You base Pauls whole songwriting career on half of one song? How about Eleanor Rigby? Yesterday? Maybe Im Amazed? Penny Lane? We Can Work It Out? Let It Be? Live And Let Die? I hear no Nananananana in these songs, in Eleanor Rigby alone there are lyrics that trump most of what George ever wrote..

George wrote great music, but so did Paul, and to throw away a library of great music that often topped what George was writing at the time, is just silly. In my opinion, as a huge Beatles fan of all four, it goes John = Paul > George > Ringo.

George was a good musician. The only thing is he didn't go solo mainstream till that song of him dancing around. And Macca just took off with Wings and stayed in the limelight coz of his spats with Lennon.

Despite George having number 1 albums and songs before 'Ive got my mind set on you' was released in the 80's?

By your logic, Paul must have been having some intense arguments with Johns gravestone when Callico Skies went to number 1 in 1997.

Harrison went into Eastern Classical music and picked up the Sitar FYI. Pandit Ravi Shankar , the most celebrated Sitar player, was his teacher. Also he delved into spirituality as well after the Beatles bust-up. Macca is good, but Harrison is in noways inferior.

Yes George was wonderful on the Sitar, but Paul has proven time and time again he is fantastic on guitar, maybe as good as George was.. As well as a great bass player, competant piano player, as well as being quite capable of playing the banjo, ukulele (which George also loved I admit) and the Trumpet.

Harrison is great, but Paul was better.

The ignorance in this post is amazing! You base Pauls whole songwriting career on half of one song? How about Eleanor Rigby? Yesterday? Maybe Im Amazed? Penny Lane? We Can Work It Out? Let It Be? Live And Let Die? I hear no Nananananana in these songs, in Eleanor Rigby alone there are lyrics that trump most of what George ever wrote..

George wrote great music, but so did Paul, and to throw away a library of great music that often topped what George was writing at the time, is just silly. In my opinion, as a huge Beatles fan of all four, it goes John = Paul > George > Ringo.

Sorry but John wrote the better parts of "we can can work it out" and john said he wrote 70% of "eleanor rigby" lyrics. And also "live and let die" was written by paul and his wife. But go on.

Personally i'm a fan of both of them but you have to be specific about the writing. Are you talking about inside the beatles or outside. Inside is of course paul, but outside was george because paul only released mostly songs that were digestable, while he had some that were great. Just george's all things must pass album is better than pauls whole catalog. But of course george eventually ran out of ideas and his songs turned into songs like "this song".

I think that we can both agree that John was the best inside and outside of the beatles as he wrote great songs all the way up to his death.

Sorry but John wrote the better parts of "we can can work it out" and john said he wrote 70% of "eleanor rigby" lyrics. And also "live and let die" was written by paul and his wife. But go on.

Personally i'm a fan of both of them but you have to be specific about the writing. Are you talking about inside the beatles or outside. Inside is of course paul, but outside was george because paul only released mostly songs that were digestable, while he had some that were great. Just george's all things must pass album is better than pauls whole catalog. But of course george eventually ran out of ideas and his songs turned into songs like "this song".

I think that we can both agree that John was the best inside and outside of the beatles as he wrote great songs all the way up to his death.

Paul concieved the idea of we can work it out and John wrote the 'Life is very short' part, while I agree its the best part of the song, the song as a whole is very good.

John made a fair few claims that many people disagreed with. John claims that he wrote 70 percent, yet Pete Shotton, Paul, George, Ringo and George Martin have all said Johns input was minimal, Pete Shotton even said later on "John put in the least with that song"

You make a fair argument now with George, indeed I agree that Georges "All things may pass" album may be the best of the solo Beatles albums. However I also believe Paul continued to write great songs consistently throughout his post Beatles career while George kind of as you said, lost his steam. Though Paul has written alot of shit, I think in the case of his solo career, the good outweighs the bad. In all honesty, if I were to listen to a 'Best of' George solo or Paul, it would be very close. I am glad that you agree with me that Pauls Beatles career far outweighs Georges.

I dont agree with you on Johns solo career. While he did write well, I believe George and Paul trump him after The Beatles. I have no idea where he would have gone with his music if he hadnt been shot, but I believe John had another great phase coming up after finding so much peace in his life during those several years of retirement. That said, Johns solo music ranges from shit to great just like Pauls, I just believe that Paul and George both top him there.

Inside The Beatles career, I stand by what I said, Paul = John They both wrote many masterpieces and it is much to close to decide in my opinion.

I am aware that Linda helped Paul write Live and Let Die, however it has been established that Paul almost completely wrote it himself, simply putting Linda as a cowriter much like John might have done with Yoko. Would you discount John writing 'Nowhere Man' Because Paul wrote one line?

In a bit of a rush right now and I am pretty sure the post is going to come off that way, all the best and talk soon.

well to be honest i was just fucking with you with all the paul didn't write blah and all that.

To get to the serious part. I stand by what i said before, most of pauls solo stuff was only digestable. While he did have his share great songs, i think he alot more ok to bad ones.

Now onto who was the best beatle. While paul had alot of classics and would occasionaly right the best song the album, john just put out the truth in a nice little bow. He made across the universe, happiness is a warm gun, nowhere man, good morning, most of a day in the life. Just some of the very best songs ever. While paul has had elenor rigby, get back, long an winding road, and so on, They just seem to be lower than johns.

Now onto solo. John just had classic album after classic. Basically changing his game each time.

plastic ono band-great stripped down honest, truthful, emotion filled album
Imagine-a very greatly produced still honest but hopeful album
sometime in new york-a great mildly political album that wasn't in your face (except for the single) but pushed boudries.
Mind games AND Walls and Bridges-very fun light rock n roll albums
double fantasy-lovely love story mixed with rock n roll

All of them are great albums and if you say otherwise, your crazy.

I mean his worst album had his only number 1 single on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back