Pat Burns

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
I just got finished watching a show on Pat Burns and his legacy in the NHL. As many NHL fans and sports fans in general know, Pat Burns is on his final path towards leaving this world. He has been fighting cancer for a long time now, and has decided that he would rather live the rest of his life normally, without the treatment.

He was just honoured with an arena in his hometown today, attended by the Prime Minister of Canada. After he left the New Jersey Devils to live out his life, he was leaving a team that had recently won him his first Stanley Cup. I still remember watching the Devil team as they beat the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. This was pretty much the last year I liked that team, but they were soundly beaten in game seven by the Devils, coached masterfully by Burns.

Burns helped create that no goal style of game in New Jersey, after failing to do it in Boston. Yes, it made a lot of people hate the Devils, but they sure were successful. So share your memories on Pat Burns.

Man I loved seeing Pat Burns behind the bench coaching. He was a great coach and my memories are when he was coaching the Leafs. He always seemed to be mad at something or someone and always had a fierce look in his eyes. He was fiery and held nothing back. He got in a lot of arguments and fights with coaches, but I believe that showcased his passion for the game. He held players accountable for their play and preached a team first mentality. It didn't matter if you were a superstar or role player, you played his style and the style that benefited the team the best. 3 Jack Adams trophies and 1 Stanley Cup is a great resume. It's heart breaking hearing about his struggles, going from colon cancer, to liver cancer, and now to lung cancer. He's a fighter and he's not letting the cancer run and ruin his life. It was hard to see him at the arena annoucment, with him being very thin and frail, but I will remember the Burns of old and Pat Burns the fighter. I hope he lives long enough to see his arena completed and the NHL had better put him the Hall of Fame before he goes because he deserves it and it would be a damn shame for him to miss out on that moment because the NHL took too long to induct him.

Keep fighting Pat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back