Over Rated or Under Rated - Bam Bam Bigelow

Over-Rated or Under-Rated - Bam Bam Bigelow

• Over-rated!

• Under-rated!

• Rated Correctly...

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Ok, after last week's discussion on Vader, I want to open up the topic to deal with another big man who never held a major WWE Championship but still manages to squeeze his name in with the best of all time. I want to look at Asbury Park, NJ's own Bam Bam Bigelow.

In an odd dichotimy, Bigelow headlined a Wrestlemania, but never held any WWE Titles. He was a former ECW Champion, a former WCW Tag-Team Champion (Jersey Triad represent), and was even Wrestling Observer's Rookie of the Year in 1986. His match in the King of the Ring Finals against Bret Hart is also regarded by many as an instant classic.

What I want to know is - with no WWE and no major WCW titles (Hardcore doesn't count as "major"), and his total fall since the year 2000, is Bam Bam Bigelow Over-Rated, or is he Under-Rated?

-IC25

Underrated for sure. I think Bam Bam gets respect but not as much as he deserves. He is the best big man to ever step into the ring. He could throw his weight around like Andre and fly off the top ropes like Snuka. The is one bad ass dude that has been overlooked, for whatever reason, throughout his entire career.

I think alot of his no showing since 2000 was his dislike towards Vince McMahon. I remember a shoot interview from Bam Bam during his ECW days saying that he would never forgive Vince McMahon for WM 11, and honestly, no one should forgive McMahon for WM 11. Supposedly Bam Bam was promised or was hinted to get a pretty good push afterwards, but obviously that never happened.

Bam Bam is very, very under rated. The guy was so fucking good for a big man it was ridiculous. His look was entirely unique as well. I think most people regard Bam Bam so highly just because the guy, for being as big as he was, was athletic as a small guy, never showed signs of being winded, and was just good all around in the ring.

I've really never heard anyone say anything bad about Bam Bam, so I wouldn't say he was under rated. But then again, if they're not saying anything, how do I know people don't think he sucks?

AHHHHHHH, Bam Bam Bigalow. This guy was massivly underrated. I hate to sound like a broken record, but for his size, he could move like a cat. Who can forget him shotputting Spike Dudley into the Croud. Or when he and Taz fell through the walkway. We all want to forget about his loss to LT at that fatefull WM. Bam Bam by far is the best of the Big Men to grace the squared circle.

Noone can deny the way he moved and his in ring abilities were absolutly astounding. Any fans reading this that has never got the oppurtunity to see this guy in action, MUST go and get anything you can to see him. He is Underrated to me because while anyone could recogzine him as the best of the big men, he never got any big titles besides the ECW championship and most would not consider that as much. The only other Big Guy that could compare may only be The Big Bossman. Maybe I am wrong or just not thinking of anyone else. He was talented, but accomplished less than Bam Bam.

Irish, Maybe the next could be King Kong Bundy. Thoughts?

The only other Big Guy that could compare may only be The Big Bossman. Maybe I am wrong or just not thinking of anyone else. He was talented, but accomplished less than Bam Bam.

I'd put Vader ahead of both of them in terms of "The Greatest Big Man." Vader could pull off moonsaults and top rope moves better than some 250 pound guys I saw. But that notwithstanding, Bigelow was very under rated, thanks to two factors.

1. He spent a lot of his good years and his championship years in ECW in front of their niche market. No offense to ECW People, I loved the product too, but it didn't help Scott's Career one ioda.

2. The way it ended. Divorces, disappearances, arrests, and finally drug induced death. He was a shell of his former self at the end, and it was a tragic ending to a terrific career that never was.

One fun fact about Bigelow. He wrestled in High School for Neptune High, and was a bronze medal winner as a heavyweight in the NJ State Wrestling tournament in 1979. One of his three losses - to Bruce Baumgartner, 4 time Olympic Gold Medal Winner from Manchester, NJ.

Irish, Maybe the next could be King Kong Bundy. Thoughts?

Perhaps. I will absolutely take requests, and if not next week, then definately soon.

I'd put Vader ahead of both of them in terms of "The Greatest Big Man." Vader could pull off moonsaults and top rope moves better than some 250 pound guys I saw. But that notwithstanding, Bigelow was very under rated, thanks to two factors.

I stand corrected. Your right, Easily Vader could be considered over Bossman. I just think that Bam Bam did more high flying things than Vader. I will stand by the better than Vader. I really liked Vader, I just wish that his tenure in the WWE would have been equally as dominating in WCW.

1. He spent a lot of his good years and his championship years in ECW in front of their niche market. No offense to ECW People, I loved the product too, but it didn't help Scott's Career one ioda.

I agree.

2. The way it ended. Divorces, disappearances, arrests, and finally drug induced death. He was a shell of his former self at the end, and it was a tragic ending to a terrific career that never was.

Once again, right on the money. I can't argue that.

There are many greats that have never won WWE Championships. What Bam Bam Bigelow displayed was true in-ring prowess and professionalism, not just appearance as a big bad wrestler. For that, I think he's morbidly underrated and also under-appreciated. He deserved more than what he received in both WWE and WCW.

Bam Bam was incredible. So agile for his size, was totally underrated in the WWF and deserved a title run but the WWF never brought as much out of him as much as ECW with his legendary encounters with Taz and Little Spike Dudley. Still felt he may have been slightly underrated in ECW as well as he never had a world title run.

BAMBAM here! Here's the norm from me:

Titles:
- AWA Southern Heavyweight Champion (7/28/86 - 9/08/86)
- WCCW Television Champion (10/20/86 - 12/01/86)
- IWGP Tag-Team Champion w/ Big Van Vader (3/1/92 - 6/26/92)
- N.E.W. (Northeast Wrestling) Heavyweight Champion (3/16/96 - 10/98)
- USA Universal Superstars of American Champion (5/18/96 - ??)
- WAR World 6-Man Tag-Team Champions w/ Hiromichi Fuyuki and Youji Anjoh (10/11/96 - 10/28/96)
- ECW World Heavyweight Champion (10/16/97 - 11/30/97)
- ECW World Television Champion (3/1/98 - 4/4/98)
- WCW World Tag-Team Champions w/ Diamond Dallas Page (5/31/99 - 6/10/99)
- WCW World Tag-Team Champions(2) w/ Diamond Dallas Page & Kanyon (Triad) (6/13/99 - 8/14/99)
- WCW Hardcore Champion (2/07/00 - 2/20/00)
- USPW Heavyweight Champion (8/17/02 - 8/30/02)

Awards:
Sorry IrishCanadian25, In 1986, Lex Luger was actually Rookie of the Year, but he did beat out Sting for 2nd place, and that's saying alot!

My Opinion, Mr. Bam Bam Bigelow(not to be confused with me, BAMBAM!) was very underrated. Besides Vader, no other big man moved like that. When he was in ECW(Greatest company to walk the earth), his feud with Taz was so great with some crazy great moments! Tazmission on Bam Bam, Bam Bam falls back and they both go THREW THE RING!!! CRAZY!! Underrated Underrated Underrated!

I was always amazed at how a man of Bam Bam's size could float around the ring the way he did. I've never heard of a wrestler question his in ring ability. Bret Hart and Lance Storm both called him one of the best big men wrestlers of all time and I couldn't agree anymore. It's a shame he didn't get a bigger push as he deserved it.

I gotta jump on the Bam Bam bandwagon. The man was big, he was strong, he was fast, and he could tell a good story in the ring. He's one of the guys that Vince has screwed over. While he was always great, alot of his best stuff was in ECW, where unfortunately the market wasn't good enough for him to get any exposer.

That's about all I can really say on the subject for now.

As far as Vader goes though...the man was amazing. I remember seeing his vigettes for his WWF debute and they had him pressing near 600lbs I believe it was in one shot and then him doing flips on a trampoline in another. All I could remember thinking was "Damn!" (yeah I was Ron Simmons back then).

I also remember when Yokozuna was the most dominate force in WWF, Vader and him brawled on the outside and Vader basically kicked a few miles of ass, and took a laundry list of names. He whooped on Yoko so bad, everyone in the first 4 rows lost their asses and names.

I'd love to see a match with Bam Bam and Vader...well I've never seen it before. I'm sure it has happened.

He was a good wrestler as proven with his various feuds. In his prime he could have went far seriously he had the skills and sets to go far as a WWE champion. I know he was ECW champion but as far as that goes it wasnt much for him coz it didnt get him out there or promote him.

None offense to old ECW fans.
But as everything goes its only what i think it might have happend.

In my view the best big man in all of pro wrestling. Bam Bam was a beast he could wrestle with bret hart. Then go to ECW and put on a 5 star match with Taz. One of my favorite matches was Bam vs Rob Van Dam for the ECW television title. Such a great match it really shows what a true big man should be these days. Bam Bam had strength, speed, size, a good gimick. A ECW world and Televison champion. The WWE really dropped the ball with him. Making him loose to LT at WM 11 was a complete joke and ashame to the wrestling business. Its ashame big men arnt like him today, now you have guys that can barely leave there feet ex. The Great Kalhi, Batista.

bam bam was great, loved his work in ecw as well, if you ever get a chance watch his shoot interview, should be on youtube but its a good watch. Always prefered seeing him as a heel though, just think the old WWF & WCW wasted him!

BAM BAM!!! Bam Bam was a great talent, not to mention a total badass (i dont care what anyone says...He who tattoos his dome piece is a fucking badass...hands down)
Him and Tazz had a great feud in the ECW days...and he got A LOT of heat no matter where he went...easily one of the best Heels to set foot in, well quite literally, every ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back