• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Original vs. Remake: "IT"

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Original vs. Remake
“IT”

OK, for this thread I thought that I would compare one of my favourite movies to the impending remake of the movie and try and get some feedback from people on how you think it will compare to the original. Hopefully, this idea will take off and we can have similar thread around, I think it will add a little bit of spice to the section, not that it needs it but you can never have enough talk about movies. I also think that comparing two movies from the past and the present is something that should be done more often and it allows us to compare the movies of yesteryear to the renditions that have been put out recently. With somewhat of a boom in these sorts of remakes, it makes sense to do something like this and I am extremely interested to see how it goes,

So for my first one, I want to do an instant classic that I know a lot of people like. I also know that a lot of people know of this movie and think very strongly about it. It is also a movie that is easily talked about and can be easily made into a new age movie. With some better effects and movie making, can this movie really be better? I guess that is the point of this, to see if some movies should be left as they are, in the past, Or should classic movies like “IT” be brought into the new century with all the frills of a new, modern way of making films?

Anyway, now that the introduction is out of the way, we move on to the movie itself. “IT” is a movie that was never very familiar to me until about 3 months ago and since then, I have watched it about 15-20 times. It never fails to fill me with suspense and the acting of Tim Curry is always a glowing star at the end of a miserable day of Scottish weather to me. The movie works on the premise that the children of Derry, Maine have been met with a super-natural entity known only as “IT”. “IT” is very destructive and makes children believe that they are alone and makes them see things that are not there. It is a psychological beast that feeds on the minds of weaker-minded children. “IT” has delivered some of the most haunting acting I have ever seen and is one of the most chilling movies I have encountered in a long time.

Original production is the key here. The movie itself was spliced together by combing a mini-series together and then turning it into a film collaboratively. Many have remarked that because it is a mini-series initiative, it does not work as a movie and perhaps a redo of the movie that patches some of the holes in the original would be a great move. Since the original is based on the writing of Stephen King, one of the finest horror writers of our time, you can bet that the original was chilling. However, people have also remarked that if this movie was brought into the 21st century, so much more could be accomplished with it. The ending is always a target for people who are convinced that bringing it into the new century would be good for it. I have to concede that I thought the ending was very tame compared to the rest of the movie. I mean, Tim Curry as Pennywise is some fantastically chilling acting and by making it a physical monster at the end, kind of spoiled that suspense for me, However, if it is brought into the new ages, the acting may be better, the effects at the end would certainly be better and maybe I wouldn’t be so disappointed by the lack of good effects at the end of the original.

So what do you think? Are you content that the movie should stay in the past and be reminiscent of it without tarnishing what is already a great movie or does this trailer for the new one excite you enough for you to want a remake?

[youtube]P1cSgbPU6Us[/youtube]

I am aware that this is a fake trailer but it is extremely well done and you can expect the trailer for the new one to be very similar to that. “IT” is due for a 2010 release and I honestly think that it will be better.

I would like to see a remake of "It". The original was a fine movie but compared to the novel, well, the film adaptation fell extremely short, plus I hate the ending of the film. And the novel was roughly 1172 pages so I understand the film can't incorporate all the details of the book. I would also like the remake to be a 'r' rated film, the original was a made for tv mini series. While I did enjoy Tim Curry as Pennywise I could do without John Boy Walton in the film.
If any of you haven't read the book, please take the time to do so. I first read it when I was eleven and it scared the ever living shit out of me. I would like the remake to do this.

If they don't have that stupid ending where you find out "IT" was a giant spider, it will be good.

It was not really a spider. That was his Earthly physical form he chose to eat his victims, as noticed by the webs in his lair. As was covered in the book and the film, It had to take a physical form in order to feed on his victims. But even that really wasn't It's true form.

I think you will still see the spider because that is what It's physical Earthly form was in the novel, but it will be a lot more realistic than the pitiful one used in the TV series. Probably more like the animated one in Lord of the Rings.

Although It's true form was never revealed in the film, the book did state that Stan (the one who committed suicide) did see It's true form by staring into the Dead Lights. He was the only one fortunate enough to stare into the Dead Lights without losing his mind, like It's other victims.

He described seeing a "hairy, crawling object made completely of writhing, destructive orange light". So, It sounds like it was something that resembled a spider anyway, but made completely out of light.

I really dont understand why so many people hate so much on the spider ending. so fucking what. Big ass spiders are creepy as fuck man, I mean, what else should it have been? I dont get how people can see that as a flaw in the film.

Anyway, I have the opinion that IT is one of those movies that is so perfect, it shouldnt ever be fucked with. Especially with the absolute fucking trash that gets put out now, I am scared to death what kind of of over gorey spotfest hollow bullshit they will make this into.

I dont have very high hopes, and I dont see how anyone could. It wil lbe nearly impossible to top or even do justice to one of the most iconic, well made horror films of all time.

It. Motherfucking It.

The first time I attempted to watch this I think I was like 4 or 5. Not the greatest idea. Needless to say, seeing Pennywise scared the ever living shit out of me, and has given me the fear of clowns that I still carry today. I then watched it when I was older, Pennywise scared the shit out of me, and of course still does.

Now, would I look forward to a remake? In all honesty, I think I would. As much as I hate (respect but scares the shit out of me) It, I think an actual movie theater release could be really good and interesting. I would hope that it could live up to the horror and success as the original, but like NorCal, I don't really expect it to happen. The original is just so damn scary, it is very difficult to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

I have always been a big fan of both the book and the television movie and actually watched it recently. My attitude is usually that the original of something already has a legacy that is set in stone so I view the new versions with their own merit where I like or dislike things based on the current presentation and not on the inevitable comparisons. With that in mind I am looking forward to the remake and will probably like it.

I really dont understand why so many people hate so much on the spider ending. so fucking what. Big ass spiders are creepy as fuck man, I mean, what else should it have been? I dont get how people can see that as a flaw in the film.

Anyway, I have the opinion that IT is one of those movies that is so perfect, it shouldnt ever be fucked with. Especially with the absolute fucking trash that gets put out now, I am scared to death what kind of of over gorey spotfest hollow bullshit they will make this into.

I dont have very high hopes, and I dont see how anyone could. It wil lbe nearly impossible to top or even do justice to one of the most iconic, well made horror films of all time.

I have to agree with you. I am actually completely creeped out at the sight of a wolf spider or larger. Tiny ones don't bother me as much. But medium to larger size spiders make me extremely uneasy and are enough to get me to leave my spot (or the room).

The size of a spider like that would have had me running away in fear. That probably would be classified as my biggest fear. So I personally think it is appropriate.

Put it this way. If it came down to having a final showdown between Pennywise The Clown or The Giant Spider .... I am picking the Clown. Clowns don't bother me, and plus, he would at least resemble my height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back