• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Original v. Cover: Shadowplay

Which version is best?

• Joy Division's "Shadowplay"

• The Killers' "Shadowplay"

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Figured it was about time I started one of these. Today we'll be comparing Joy Division (one of my favorite bands) and The Killers.

Now, first up we have the classic original version from Joy Division. Those who aren't aware of Joy Division...how I feel so very, very sorry for you. They all but invented post-punk and influenced generations of music in only a few short years of existence, to this day the indie rock scene is absolutely DOMINATED by bands singing the praises of Joy Division. Great song.

Joy Division - Shadowplay
[youtube]UFRrwBQxjbI[/youtube]​

Up next we have the version from The Killers. I'm not a huge fan of The Killers, but I've enjoyed a good half-dozen or so songs by them very much, and this is probably the best song they've released to date. They completely mix up this cover and turn it into a freak-out classic that will make you want to get up and dance along. One of the best covers I've ever heard.

The Killers - Shadowplay
[youtube]uQI5Tv2sC9w[/youtube]​

Man am I torn personally on this one. I love Joy Division to death, and loved this song for years before encountering The Killer's cover. But god damnit if The Killers cover doesn't just fucking rock on an insane level. I don't think I could rightfully pick a song by the Killers over anything by Joy Division, but I'm tempted to here. The cover is that damn good. I'd probably still have to go with Joy Division though just because of the sheer fact that they're fucking Joy Division. One of the greatest bands, ever.

So, I ask you WZ, which version is best? (With a Poll! Because it makes zero sense to not include one guys!)

Strangly enough I got into Joy Division and heard the Killers version of this song at the same time- in the film Control (a film which I thought was particularly good, if a little affecting :( ). As much as I like Joy Division they sound very distinctive (even with the slew of modern bands who have aped their sound ;) ). The distinction between these two songs showcases this very effectivly- the dirty, grimy, raw and dark sound of the origonal, compared to the slick, produced and listner friendly cover.

I found this pretty difficult as I do like both songs, but I have to give it to Joy Division for two reasons. One is the guitar solo which seems to spew pure malevolence and it made yet more effective by taking centre stage, something which the Killer's fails to replicate. The second is that I (fairly preteniously) tend to equate a song which is harder to get into, one too that has a strong emotional power behind it, as the better one. I think I would always enjoy the Killers song. I don't think I would ever at 3 in the morning, possibly under the influence, go into raptures over the song. I can see it with the origonal though. :)

Reactions: X
Joy Division without question. And I'm not just saying that because Goth Rock/Post-Punk is my favorite genre. I did give The Killer's version a chance because they do have a few catchy songs but they were way out of thier league trying to cover this.

I just can't for the life of me think why you didn't compare Love Will Tear Us Apart by Fall Out Boy instead of this...

In all seriousness, the Killers version is new to me, but it just isn't as good. I quite like their first album, and this might be the best thing they've done since, but it's not a patch on the original. Ian Curtis lives his songs, and not even New Order can cover them convincingly, despite actually being three quarters of Joy Division. In short, definitely not the worst Joy Division cover out there, but it isn't as good as the proper version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back