Original v. Cover: Keep on Rocking in the Free World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Fantastic song, originally performed by Canadian Legend Neil Young, this anthem of the problems in western society. The image generated by this song is one of the pains of those in trouble. The scene with the heroin addict has always hit deep for me. The cover version is done live at concerts by another of my favourites. Pearl Jam does a fantastic version, and just like Neil Young, they give offsuch imagery, you are sucked in. As try have never to my knowledge done a studio version, I give the nod to Neil Young. I can't post the videosbut I am sure they are on YouTube. The next poster can post them, and probably get Bus wanker rep.

I may be wrong here, but isn't the Pearl Jam version technically Neil Young featuring Pearl Jam?

Anyhow, on to my pick. Usually, I'd go with PJ over all others. But, in this case, I've gotta give it to Neil (solo). His social commentary was actually relevant at the time he released it. Pearl Jam, in my opinion, did it more as a tribute to an influence. They didn't have the same righteous anger that Neil did. Though, PJ did give it the ol' college try, didn't they?

In summary, Neil, all day, everyday.

Yeah, this isn't so much an Original v. Cover as an Original v. Cover/With Original Artist. I'm sure Pearl Jam has done solo covers of the song in concert and such, but the best known version of this song is the one that Neil Young did with Pearl Jam on stage at the 1993 MTV Awards.

Amazing rendition of the song. What do you expect with Pearl Jam and Neil Young? Neil's presence makes any song immediately a fucking anthem.

Yes Neil did a live version with Pearl Jam, but Pearl Jam has done, according to Wikipedia, 207 live versions of the song. The most famous was the one from their live DVD "Imagine In Cornice"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back