Original ECW was garbage. Why?

Exactly. If Benoit, Malenko, Jericho and Mysterio hadn't gone on to get famous in WCW and/or WWE, I bet no one would be even mentioning them in ECW discussions. They were to ECW what PTP are to WWE right now.

And the ECW fans didn't come to the Bingo Hall to watch these guys wrestling. They came to watch the BAM-BOOM-BHADAAAM!

They were a bit more important than that.

I am not a huge fan of Jim Cornette or what he says, but his rants on ECW are hilarious :

"Dawn Marie gets pile driven through a table, and 5 minutes later she is shaking her as and dancing. And you wonder why I say ECW killed wrestling."

True. But OVW made more wrestlers for WWE than ECW. You dont hear songs about OVW.

Not the same thing. OVW existed for the sole purpose to make stars for the WWE (or at least it was like that for a good long while). So guys like Cena, Orton and Batista were already WWE guys even when they were in OVW.

ECW wasn't a developmental region, it was a promotion that offered something different. Note I'm not saying better, just different and some people love different. Honestly though, I think ECW got a name for itself because during the early to mid 90's it was the company that was geared towards teenagers and adults.

I wouldn't be against an "OVW" chant though.

Exactly. If Benoit, Malenko, Jericho and Mysterio hadn't gone on to get famous in WCW and/or WWE, I bet no one would be even mentioning them in ECW discussions. They were to ECW what PTP are to WWE right now.

And the ECW fans didn't come to the Bingo Hall to watch these guys wrestling. They came to watch the BAM-BOOM-BHADAAAM!

You should thank the other posters on this thread for making it worth-while. You've started a thread on an idea that's been beaten to death and given little to no reasoning behind your opinion.

I liked ECW. They had some interesting characters and had wrestlers who did put on some good matches. Those were the aspects I liked of it. However, I can see why a lot of people refer to it as garbage wrestling.

And your PTP comparison is beyond ridiculous.

I would never refer to ECW as a whole as garbage, but they produced a lot more garbage than they did golden nuggets. They deserve a lot of credit for introducing different concepts to their fans, and being a Jack of all trades. That being said the brutal violence is what brought the fans to the arena, it was just a coincidence that some of those fans were also open-minded to other outlets of wrestling.

Sabu deserves a little bit more credit than just being called a "flipping New Jack" as he could work more than just the garbage wrestling style where as New Jack couldn't even properly execute a fucking wrist lock. New Jack only got monster pops when he was stapling people's faces or diving off of balconies. Sabu was able to work just about any style but primarily worked the garbage style because that's what got him the most over in that environment.

ECW obviously wasn't complete garbage or people wouldn't still be clamoring about it all these years later. Is it overrated? Definitely. But it still can't be denied that it provided a major change in the landscape of pro wrestling and was the precursor to the Attitude era.

this is what I'm what I'm talking about. Sabu had creativity just like Heyman, he brought something new to the table.

these people on this board will take Lance Storm's technical exhibition with zero emotion over Sabu and Shane Douglas. ECW was all about emotion and attitude and somehow you people picked up the worst parts of it and took it to heart.

Барбоса;4360215 said:
So his nickname should have been "The Less Homicidal than New Jack, Suicidal, Genocidal, Death–Defying Man"?

Sounds like one hell of a t-shirt catchphrase.

I loved the ECW... but if you were looking for what people like to call "technical wrestling" (which is the most asinine expression in the world as it applies to professional wrestling, but that's another topic for another day) you were looking in the wrong place. So for professional wrestling "purists" (another ridculously asinine term, but again, another thread for another day), it was pretty much the anti-Christ.

I get people calling it garbage, and I suppose on some level I agree, but ECW wasn't meant for the average wrasslin' fan, it was meant for a very niche market, and in that market, it was rather successful for quite some time.

But I do wish people would let it go. It's been gone for over a decade now. It's never coming back. Find something to like about what's current in wrestling creatively chant about that. Or give up on wrasslin' if you don't like the current product. Please let ECW die with dignity...

ECW always gets shit on for the in ring wrestling, but it wasn't really about that. They told stories in a new way at the time. ECW fans will always remember it fondly and haters will always hate it.

I remember when ECW was on TNN. I watched an episode that ended with a shit load of people in the ring. I never tuned in before that episode or after that episode. That says something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back