[OFFICIAL] Get to know your Old School wrestlers Campaign.

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor

Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson
tully-arn.jpg

Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson made one helluva Tag Team, but they were also very successful singles competitors, too. Blanchard, son of promoter Joe Blanchard started out in San Antonio, Texas and worked his way up to a prominent draw in the Texas Territory working with the Funks, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Gino Hernandez, and countless other wrestlers. He also had a hand in helping train Shawn Michaels. Yes, I know Jose Luthario gets the most credit, and should, but Blanchard worked with him quite a bit before he made his debut. So yea. Without Tully Blanchard, HBK wouldn't be as awesome as he is now. Anyway, Blanchard found his greatest success as a member of the dreaded Four Horsemen. He won the National Heavyweight Title, The United States Title, and the Television Title during his span in the Horsemen. And the NWA was very credible back in his day. Some say Blanchard was one of the greater wrestlers to never hold a World Heavyweight Title. I agree with that.

However, his Tag partner, Arn Anderson may have something to say about that. Double A is nicknamed 'The Enforcer'. Why? Because he enforced the law of the Horsemen by kicking asses. Anderson started as the "brother" of Ole Anderson and eventually helped form a tag team called the Minnesota Wrecking Crew. Later, Anderson decided to join forces with their 'Cousin' Ric Flair and along with Blanchard and Ole, formed the Four Horsemen. Anderson held the World Television Title frequently during his stay in the Horsemen and was a Tag Champion with Ole and Blanchard as well. The singles titles may be underwhelming for Anderson, but that doesn't mean he wasn't double tough and could back up his words when he cut promos. His spinebuster finisher is considered one of the more high impact moves that is still used today in variations by HHH and Batista.

Point is, don't sleep on either of these guys. Sure they have tough draws, but that doesn't mean they're push overs. Hopefully this has educated you on the awesomness of Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson

Both of these two have kicked some pretty major ass in their day. This isn't lost on me. May none of us forget the lessons of the old school. On that note, I approve this HQ and any other future lessons it may share during the tournament.

Arney has a beard so he'd fit in rather nicely with my crew of misfits. Tully on the other hand doesn't. I do enjoy Tully though and I'll have to give a looksee and check his round 1 opponent.

I must thank you Lariat, reading your thread will save me a lot of time on searching on guys I either only know by name and accolades, or absolutely know nothing of.

Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy and "Dr. Death" Steve Williams
drdeath.jpg

One of my two moderator picks went to Terry Gordy. It was an easy choice for me because he was one of the most underrated big men in wrestling history. Bold statement? Consider that he was HEADLINING wrestling shows in Texas with the Von Erichs at age 19. 19 fucking years old. Yea. Gordy was the muscle of the Freebirds, which included Michael Hayes and Buddy Jack Roberts. Gordy did the dirty work for the Freebirds and was known as a man who would just run over you if you were smaller than he was, or he'd chop you down if you were bigger. Gordy's ring intelligence goes unnoticed because he's known as the guy who uses the powerful bodyslam and runs the ring ropes before his matches. But Gordy was more than a powerful guy. In Japan, he was revered for his ring prowess and his ability to have great matches with anyone he went up against. He was also a Triple Crown champion in Japan and I know Japanese knowledge gets a lot of hell around here, but to me, Japanese wrestling's just superior to American Pro Wrestling because it's a 'sport' in Japan, not 'entertainment' like it is in America. Gordy died way too young and was a wrestler who could roll with the best of them. And should not be overlooked in this tournament.

Same can be said for "Dr. Death" Steve Williams. We lost the good Dr. to cancer earlier this year and it was a huge loss to Old School purists like myself. Williams was a bull. Simple as that. He just flat out hurt people and slammed them to the ground with such force. He was an All-American amateur Wrestler at Oklahoma, so his athleticism is there. People talk about Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle as guys who were amazing amateur wrestlers and amazing pro wrestlers. Dr. Death did it before those guys and if he were to be at his peak during the same era as Lesnar and Dr. Death, I'd bet that Williams would have little trouble with Lesnar or Angle. I know those are bold statements, but the man was a mix of size and speed that was so unique for his time. He dominated his opponents with ease. He stood toe to toe with Stan Hansen on a few occasions and took Hansen's best shots. Not many people kick out of the Lariat... and Dr. Death did that. Twice. That goes to show you how much perseverance and how gifted he was. He's another you shouldn't overlook and consider when voting. Just because you know their names or are 'used' to them, doesn't make them better.

Few more to come...

[YOUTUBE]bO7FBwKQeUU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]t3v6oSa6Qaw[/YOUTUBE]​

Tag Match in Madison Square Garden with Hulk Hogan teaming with Stan Hansen going against Bob Backlund and Antonio Inoki. It's a two parter, and you'll get to see some of the body of work these guys have. It kills four birds with one stone.

[YOUTUBE]HRbx96oGWtU[/YOUTUBE]​

The 10 moves Terry Gordy used on a consistent basis. He's very agile for his size and that shouldn't be overlooked.

[YOUTUBE]BBU-z-_8n8c[/YOUTUBE]​

This is a tribute video to Dr. Death Steve Williams. Very well done I might add. Another dangerous person in this tournament.

The beauty of Arn Anderson is in his understatedness, which also is his downfall in terms of recognition. For lack of a better word, Double A was just cool. His nickname was cool, his moves were cool, he was smooth and he struck like lightning. He was Dean Martin to Flair's Sinatra. He worked equally well as a face and a heel. He just looked like a bad ass. He didn't have to say much, he was just an intimidating man. He's not overly large or ripped muscle-wise, but he's one of the guys I would least want to mess with if I ran into him in a bar, just by his look. It's impossible to measure or quantify, which is why Arn gets forgotten about to easily. I'm aboard the Double A express.

MMM I love me some Dr. Death (and look at that beard). Terry Gordy is awesome as well, but I always preferred PS Hayes. As always though Lariat, this is some great stuff and Ive enjoyed it to the full extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back