What Might Have Been: Tully Blanchard's Failed Drug Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
I watched the Ric Flair and the Four Horsemen DVD last night and I noticed something that I hadn't even thought of before. It was the importance of Tully Blanchard. Man, he could go. It was mentioned how he was the balance the Horsemen needed. When Arn, Ric, and Ole/Barry Windham were sometimes cheered, Tully was ALWAYS booed. He made the Horsemen the bad guys that they were. He was underhanded, smooth, and always found a cheap way to win.

Tully was an intricate part of the stable and to be honest, I'd say besides Flair, he was the most important part. Why? Well, here's where the What Might Have Been scenario comes in...

See, the story goes that Tully was in the WWF at the time with Arn Anderson. Anderson was wanting to go back to the WCW because he had a 3-year-old child he wanted to be close to. So, it was set in stone for Flair, Ole, Tully, and Arn to reform the Horsemen. One problem. Tully liked cocaine. And in the WWF, he was drug tested. He failed. Word came back to the WCW, and only Arn Anderson was offered a contract. Tully was left on the sidelines. Which is why, in my opinion, the Horsemen failed in it's attempt at reforming with only THREE originals. If you're going to get the band back together, you need your lead guitarist. And that's what Tully was. Ric was lead singer, Arn was drums, Ole/Barry/Lex played bass, and Tully was your lead guitar. He was the rhythm of that group. Flair was Flair, but Tully made the faction complete. And he wasn't there.

So, what are your thoughts on Tully's debacle during this time. Do you think Tully was that important to the Four Horsemen? Was it best to go without Tully?

Nothing is ever good as the originals; ie, DX, NWO and the Horseman, but it just seems like repeating these stables without the originals just always sucks to me especially without Tully. I don't know why he would of taken that drug test knowing that it would be dirty. A stupid move but in away understandable. These guys get beat up every day most of the year, so the Hardy's/Tully's of the world end up relieving there pain with something, or in Tully's case rocket fuel (he could go). Sad but true.

Tully was the blasting cap of the Four Horsemen. He was the glue of the group. Arn and Ric were always going to be friends but without Tully the group didn't have the spark it needed. The only original Horseman the group would have been able to lose at that point was Ole who was well past his prime. In my opinion the best version of the Horsemen was Ric, Arn, Tully, and Barry. Oh and the reason Tully took the drug test was he wouldn't have gotten paid until he did and probably needed that payday until WCW picked him and Arn back up. So sad that we lost one of the best performers of all time because of a badly timed drug test.

So sad that we lost one of the best performers of all time because of a badly timed drug test.

Wow...that last statement, while I'm guessing (or hoping) came out wrong, says so much. We didn't lose Tully because of a "badly timed drug test," Tully lost his career because he chose to stuff it up his nose. Whether you believe that he was essential to the success of the Horsemen or just another in a long line of 4th men, one thing is certain. One person, and only one person, is to blame for Tully's downfall, and Tully Blanchard has to look that man in the eye every time he shaves.

Had Tully chosen to not do coke, who knows how things might have gone. I grew up in the Carolina's, at a time when the Horsemen were at their peak of popularity, and I can tell you this much...Arn and Tully were essential members of the group to be sure, but when you thought of the 4 Horsemen, the first name that popped into anyone's mind was Ric Flair. Flair was synonymous with wrestling at that time, at least in the Carolinas, and a lot of people back then saw the rest of the horsemen much the way we see Legacy now...they were there to keep the title on Ric.

In the current era, its easy to look back and respect the work those guys did, to appreciate the effort they put into developing their characters that we don't see as much of today. But, at the time, I really think that Tully Blanchard's choices only hurt one person, and that was himself.

It's a shame that he did the coke because to me Tully is one of the most underrated heels and workers ever and it would have been great to have him back in the group !

Man, what a good idea for a thread. Kudos, Lariatooooo...

Tully was an incredible performer. Most of us never heard of him until he entered the WWE as one of the Brain Busters, and the team blew our minds with their in-ring work. I remember being a big fan of the Rockers and then feeling fearful when the Brain Busters came in because they seemed to be such a threat. Tully was half of the reason for that.

Along with Arn's neck injury, Tully's failed drug test just raised many "what if" scenerios. We didn't realize how much we missed him until he was gone. However, due to his lack in size, I highly doubt he would've gained more than the Intercontinental Title. Remember, back in the early 90's, Vince was obsessed with nothing but big men holding big belts.

I can honestly say that Tully would've had a killer run at the midcard titles and could have possibly been a good mouthpiece for other superstars, since he had tremendous mic skills. It's a shame that his career was cut short.

I'm sure Tully has beaten himself up enough over that decision he made back then, which, I believe, is what led him 2 becoming "born again". I also would've loved 2 have seen Tully come back 2 WCW with Double A, in fact when that group of Horsemen were introduced, I was wondering what happened 2 Tully @ the time.

IMO, Tully was the MAIN ingredient that helped 2 make the Horsemen what they were @ the time & CynicSteve, I gotta agree with U, the 1988 edition of the Horsemen was the BEST version, next 2 the original incarnation.

Tully along with Magnum TA are the two biggest wrestlers to never have the opportunity to rach their potential. I have a hard time saying he was as important as AA but it is sorta a 1a, 1b situation. Tully was truly the mean one, and the 2nd best talker and 2nd best wrestler. The man had it all. If he had returned to WCW the fued that could've been between them and NWO might have possibly saved WCW. I agree Ole was the only one that could be replaced. He was important at the beginning but Barry filled the role nicely. Man Lariat we have alot in common. I love the thread. I feel like Tully might've eventually been a world champion.

Now were talking about wrestling I care about...to me, especially being from NC the horsemen were wrestling. But rumor has it & I cant remember were I saw or read it but the plan was of course obviously to have all the horsemen come back but that would have lead at some point to a fued between Flair & Tully over the title.....And with all the stroke Flair had back then I believe he would have been more than willing to give one of his best friends a run w/ the title. Think about the $$$ that would have made back then, we never really got to see the Horsemen turn on each other becuz the thing w/ Flair & Arn in '95 was poorly done and only at midcard level and was basically only done as a setup to another horsemen reunion (w/ Pillman). If the fued w/ the Horsemen turning on Sting drew the money & excitement it did (Sting was never actually a Horsemen the angle was just designed to lead to that fued) could you imagine back in the late 80's/early 90's if the 2 cockiest sons of bitches in wrestling, best friends & original Horsemen had a long, drawn out, violent fued...the promos, the matches....I think we missed out on what would have been classic.... The wonderful world of What If??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back