Oculus Rift

Dan Severn's Moustache

Patent Pending
Over the past year and a half, the Oculus Rift has been a point of heavy discussion amongst gamers as a bold, substantial stride into the future of gaming. Having initially received the support of Kickstarter donators, developers such as Valve, iD Software and Epic Games began to take interest in this innovation and Valve adopted support for the developers kit with Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life 2. Since then, it has been up-hill for Oculus VR, although a $2 billion acquisition of the company by Facebook was met with some controversy by the gaming community.

Expected to be released to the general public in late 2014/early 2015, a virtual reality headset concept has been widely anticipated since the dawn of gaming, and has been attempted on a few occasions, most notably in 1995 by none other than gaming titans Nintendo with the Virtual Boy. Unfortunately, due to technological limitations at the time, Nintendo failed to faithfully tackle the feeling of virtual reality and the Virtual Boy remains as arguably Nintendo's biggest scar over their legendary tenure in the video games industry. Over the course of 20 years however, technology has progressed massively, and with the vast benefaction of the gaming community towards the Oculus Rift, the system is seemingly set to make an impact on gaming forever, especially with the additional support of well known gaming developers and the financing from Facebook.

Personally, I'm optimistic for the launch of the Oculus Rift. We live in a far more proficient age technologically than in we did upon the Virtual Boy's creation, and virtual reality hasn't been tackled strongly since Nintendo's failure. I honestly think the Oculus Rift has the potential to change the way games are played forever, allowing for the player to deeply immerse themselves into the world of the video game. I have a lot of faith in Oculus VR, as does a good chunk of the gaming community, and I think I speak for the grand majority of gamers that we want gaming as a media form to evolve, and this is a catalyst in that regard.

What are your thoughts on the Oculus Rift and do you see it making a significant change to gaming as we know it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back