Project Natal: Progress or Exensive Gimmick?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, so Microsoft have long since announced the release of Project Natal. Natal is a optical sensor that uses the movements of the user, to generate actual movements on the game. You can see how this might be a great idea. Microsoft would like you to think that it is the future of gaming and one ste closer to virtual reality in a games console. It is lain for anyone to see that Natal definitely does have some good features. For one thing, it gets people more involved in their gaming. By getting a controller out of their hands, Microsoft are really trying to take heed of Nintendo's Wii system. Whether they will admit it or not, is beyond the point. The fact of the matter is, Microsoft is desperately trying to get on top of the more active gamer and have realised that Nintendo have stolen a trick here. They have created a console that has has really inspired people to get into gaming and has inspired a whole new generation of fans to gaming.

Their attempt at stealing some of the limelight from Nintendo is Project Natal If you have yet to see what all the buzz is about, here is an official trailer for the piece of equipment:

[youtube]B2r9cKjNQe4&feature=fvst[/youtube]

Now, as you can see, Microsoft have created something that really does mimic the motions of the user. We all remember the EyeToy from Sony a few years ago. Now, my question is does Natal look as though it is ready to break some major ground. Or do you think that it is just another expensive, gimmicky, accessory to cash in on Nintendo's success?

It's too early to tell in my opinion.
But I think all motion-based controls are still a gimmick. The Wii motion control is only used as an after thought, even in Nintendo games. The technology simply hasn't advanced enough for it to be a major part of video gaming. Obviously in the future it'll be a huge part, but that's in the next generation at the earliest.
Although, if anyone can pull it off I think it'll be Microsoft. Nintendo have laid some excellent ground work for the whole idea, and Microsoft will try to expand on it as much as possible. They have the resources and a fair idea of the gaming market and what the consumers will need to be able to use it. They're not just gonna do a lame rip off like Sony's six axis, this could very much be the real deal.
But as always with gaming technology, I'm gonna have to save my judgement until I get my hands on it. It definately has potential, though.

I can say it's both. If you look at it from a business standpoint, Nintendo is onto something in the motion sensors that the Wii is marketed by, which if you go back a little further you'll remember the eye toy that Sony made for Playstation. In and of itself, it's mostly one- upping the tech. Nintendo took the Eye toy's idea (putting whatever motion it would record as a reaction to what was happening on the game but a a lower scale) and made it better, IMO (The Wii itself). Now that it's something that's now huge, Microsoft is in a position to take what the Wii made better from the eye toy, and one- up it (Look at Milo for example.)

So, yeah I think it's a gimmick-y progress. It's somethign that will cash in on what the Wii, and the Eye toy in the beginning, got moving in terms of motion sensors.

If they keep it in development, work out the major flaws and get everything running smoothly. It looks like progress. It's like they took the eyetoy and the Wii and shoved it all together. I personally think they're gonna rush it, and it's gonna be shit and it's gonna bomb for that. They need to take their time and just develop it the old school way, work out the kinks. It looks really cool, it seems genius too. But hey, everyone thought the Powerglove was the shit too..

This should be considered somewhere in the middle. I can't see this selling cheap, and I question how many people would be willing to pay big bucks for something like this. It's success should come down to what games are developed for it. Look at the PS3's eyetoy; how many games can you name that were specifically designed for it? I know Natal will function with other games, such as Burnout, but why pay way more for a peripheral just to play a few games differently? I recognise the advancement in games technology this can be, but it may be too early for something like this to find a market. Those who have the cash, go nuts, but this may not be as wise an investment for the rest of us.

Yeah, I do believe that it really does come down to the price of the software and hardware. I really do think that the price of Natal will be the make or break factor in selling it. Obviously that goes without saying but I really do think it will be crucial in determining how successful it will be. I think if Microsoft get the price right, then it could be a huge step forward. I know it is very similar to the Sony EyeToy but the software that I have seen for it is pretty impressive so far. I like some of the new things you can do with the avatars and I think that I will enjoy all of the updates that will eventually come to fruition along with Natal.

Personally, I think that Natal will be a great thing for the 360. At least, I would like to think so. Then again, it could be what I described in the title of the thread. It could become a very pricey gimmick and just another way to ship consoles, without having any real substance behind it. However, I am looking forward to seeing what comes of it and like I say, the price will be crucial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back