• Giant Baba

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
Pat O'Connor
Pat_Oconnor.jpg

A 1x NWA World Champion he held the title for 2 years. He won the title from from amateur standout, and Lou Thesz protege, Dick Hutton. He lost the title to The Original Nature Boy Buddy Rogers in front of 38,622 fans at Comiskey Park, a record that would last nearly 20 years. He was the first to hold many titles including the AWA World title.

Giant Baba
baba.gif

a 3x NWA world Champion his name is often spoken in the same breath as Hulk Hogan due to his massive popularity in Japan. The Founder of All japan Pro Wrestling he has held many titles and awards. He trained with Antonio Inoki under the Legendary Rikidozan.

fuck this is perhaps the most difficult one for me to vote on. Giant Baba is a legend and is one of the three that make up the triangle that defines Japanese Pro Wrestling. However on the other side there is one of my countrymen, the only one to ever win a world title as a singles wrestler. Pat O'Connor held the NWA and AWA Havyweight titles at the same time. While it may not be the real AWA title, only 3 men have achieved this distinction. He also had a memorial tag team tournament held in his honour after he died of cancer in 1990. You look at the figure there that shows that he drew. It is hard to show any of his matches now because you actually can't see any of them on youtube except for a 4 minute snippet from a 30 min match. There is more that can be said about him but it is easiest to just give you the link to the Profesional wrestling Hall of Fame's article on him.

Click Here

I will let others make the argument for or against Baba. but he is a more well known quantity within the minds of people on this board.

As Shadow said, this is tough. However, I think I'm going to go with O'Connor. While it's true that Baba was a three time champion, there were very short reigns. He is easily more known for the influence he had both in his company and as a national hero. O'Connor on the other hand is a bigger star in the states, and that's where I know more of his work. Granted I haven't seen much of either, but from what I've heard, I have to take O'Connor for his versatility in winning titles in two of the three major companies.

I don't care who wins and I will be happy either way. That being said I'm voting for Giant Baba. THe fact that he trained with Antonio Inoki under Rikidozan makes it easy for me right there. Add to that the fact that he founded one of the most popular wrestling Promotions in Japan (All Japan Pro) and that beyond a shadow of a doubt for me.

I hope this thread gets a lot of debate.

Tough decision, but I went with Baba. As stated, he is one of the triumverant that started Japanese wrestling, and in Japan it's a cultural phenomenon instead of a social taboo here in the states.

While O'Connor was a double champion and a two year champion, the long title reigns were pretty much a standard for the time, nothign special. Baba, is a larger legend in name. Maybe in actual in ring ability, O'connor might be able to knock down the big man, but as far as legends are concerned, the Giant wins.

I think Giant Baba wins this on name alone. Pat O'Conner was good, damn good. But he's nothing compared to Giant Baba. A legend in japanese wrestling where it is considered a sport. Not "entertainment". It may be a skewed way of thinking but that's how I determine it. Giant Baba is legendary. As is O'conner, but Baba edges him out.

While O'Conner was great, he isn't anything like Baba. As stated in the first post, Baba is on Hulk Hogan level in Japan. He started one of the most popular wrestling companies in Japan and is a three time champion. I don't have much more to say, really, as I don't have an extensive knowledge on these guys. But, from what I've read and seen, I vote for Baba.

Results: Baba wins 9-4 making it a rematch in round 2 when he face Stan Hansen.

My thoughts: Happy :D. Giant Baba created one of the most popular wresting Companies in Japan and it is still going strong today. Not much more can be said that hasn't beem said already so I'm not going to rehash everything.

Giant Baba for a round 2 victory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back