• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Now THAT'S a unification match I'd like to see

Steve-O-Matt

Pre-Show Stalwart
Pardon me if this thread has already been made, I haven't seen it anywhere, but heck, here we go.

Intercontinental Champion Bad News Barrett vs. United States Champion Sheamus

I'm one of the people that think these titles need to be unified at some point. This thread isn't about wether or not the titles should be unified, but who you think should do it. Personally, I think Barrett and Sheamus would be absolutely perfect. Everytime they have a match, they bring out the best of each other and have terrific brawler style back and forths. Throughout their careers, I've seen them as sorts of silent rivals waiting to have an incredible feud. In a way, they are rivals, both debuting around the same time, brawlers, both immediately pushed. And NOT because they're English and Irish, which I'm sure JBL and King won't shut up about during their feud: "Well, the English and Irish have never got along Cole!" I really hate that crap.

Are you happy with these two unifying the titles if it happens?

If not, who would you like to unify the titles?

It would definitely be a great match and, given the state of the two titles, it is a definite possibility. Barrett and Sheamus are two guys I can see as legit top guys so it would give prestige to the single title.

A problem is, they have just unified the World Titles so there is one fewer title to compete for. Taking out the US title would make it very difficult given the number of talent. There are a lot of lower mid-card guys who are doing very little: the US title can serve that purpose.

Sheamus v Barrett would be enjoyable but I'm not sure about unifying the titles. They could build this up with the two of them defending their titles against some of the best former World Champs: Del Rio, Ziggler, Swagger, RVD, Miz, Kane, Show before they inevitably meet. That could be something I could get on board with and would be an interesting storyline for the summer.

I don't want to see the Intercontinental and United States Titles unified. With WWE already unifying the 2 World Titles, there are alot fewer titles around the company.

WWE World Heavyweight Title
Intercontinental Title
United States Title
Divas Title
Tag Team Titles

Compare this to the Attitude Era when there was

WWE Title
Intercontinental Title
European Title
Hardcore Title
Womens Title
Light Heavyweight Title
Tag Team Titles

I much preferred it that way, and although I can understand why WWE have done away with the Hardcore Title, I still believe a Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight Title would be useful, and a 2nd mid-card title, like the European Title/US Title. Although initially it was the equal of the Intercontinental Title while the brand extension was in place, it seems to have become less important over the years, without much interest from the storyline writers- for example, Dean Ambrose is always in high profile matches, but hardly ever defended his title, which is stupid.

I would either keep it, and use it as the secondary mid-card title, like the European Title was during the late 1990s- giving lower card wrestlers an automatic storyline and something to do, rather than meaningless matches...OR retire the US Title and either bring back the European Title for the same reason I just mentioned, OR unify the US Title/Intercontinental Title and introduce a NEW secondary mid-card title, such as a Television Title, which could be defended on all the WWE shows. It would be useful having a TV Title match as the main event on Superstars or Saturday Morning Slam (or whatever it's called), giving fans a reason to match as they may see a title change hands.

Whatever WWE do, I hope they don't get rid of the US Title without replacing it, as there are too few titles as it is.

c)Leave the titles the way they are.

This week was a great example on why having the 2 titles is a good thing. We just finished off a great IC title tournament on Sunday, and on Raw we had the US title add fuel to the current biggest storyline, with the added bonus of giving a mid-top guy that was "spinning his wheels" something to do. Plus we got to see 2 title matches on Raw and another will be SD, that's great TV and not something a single mid-card title can provide.

This is something I keep talking about, especially now that both Sheamus and Barrett have titles. Even if they don't have a unification match, I'd still love to see them have a series of non-title matches just for bragging rights as to who the better champion is. Even have them defend their titles against other challengers and compete that way. So, say, one week Barrett beats, say, Ziggler to retain his title, then Sheamus, in order to prove he is the better champion, goes and defends his title against someone like...The Miz. Just keep slowly working their way up the ladder of superstars, trying to one-up each other. IF they want to unify those titles, there's no better way to build up both belts and superstars than that scenario.

This thread isn't about wether or not the titles should be unified, but who you think should do it.

Remember guys, this isn't a debate about wether or not they should be unified, it's WHO DO YOU THINK can do it. There's valid arguements both sides for and against unifying them and we can go back and forth for ages.

I think it would be a great match and also opens up the possibility of a double turn taking place. Barrett is getting a lot of babyface like reactions from the fans, and there's talk of a heel turn for Sheamus.

Have them go at it for a unification, Seamus goes over but the double turn takes place. Then they can feud as heel/face swapped for a while longer. Keeps it fresh

If WWE are into introducing a Television title which can be defended at EVERY RAW show, then I am all for unifying the IC and US titles,tbh.

Barrett and Sheamus doing it is all well and good since they have the English vs Irish story that can be done. However, if reports are true, and Sheamus is going to be turned heel soon...then it would be better if they are kept apart.

As for who I wanted to unify the titles...I wanted Ambrose to keep it and go past Lex Luger's record, and after Roman Reigns goes on his own with Ambrose and Rollins turning on him.

The latter 2 would then remain as a tag team for a couple of months, with Ambrose eventually taking the Lex record, and then boasting about it to Rollins, who would eventually return to Babyface status after winning the IC title, say at or around the time of the Royal Rumble. WWE could then have done a unification of the Midcard titles Storyline between Ambrose and Rollins that would last until Wrestlemania 31. Oh, what could have been...

A problem is, they have just unified the World Titles so there is one fewer title to compete for. Taking out the US title would make it very difficult given the number of talent. There are a lot of lower mid-card guys who are doing very little: the US title can serve that purpose.

The problem I have with this argument... is that they just spent the last year having the title on a guy who they never had defend it. The lower mid-card guys already weren't getting anything out of the US title. What difference would it be to just unify the two and get rid of it altogether now?
Plus, even when they do have the title on anyone, it always seems that the title is only defended whenever it's time to change champions. You always see US champions regularly lose on TV. You see so many mid card and up guys that will beat the champion and not even care that they beat a champion.

That belt is more of a prop than any other title I can ever think of, and I think it's existence even seems to keep them from utilizing the IC title properly. They're best off getting rid of it, and the sooner the better.

I could see them doing this match when they're touring the UK...Maybe having it non-title but would be the perfect place to do the double turn and complete Sheamus's turn to heel while Barrett goes face as it seems to be the direction the characters are going and that'd be the perfect place for it (plus I'd get to see it live)

Ruddy brilliant, fella! (See what I just did there)

Snobby comments aside, I do very much love this idea. Sheamus and Barrett going at it on a UK tour? Talk about a big money draw. Fans would love to watch it and attend the event. So with the US championship and the Intercontinental championship potentially being unified, this new title (whatever the name may be) will be the number 2 title in WWE. As Bryan is holding the titles currently and is a babyface, I'd root for Barrett to win the unification match. He isn't going to be turning face, and Sheamus (as per rumors and such) won't be turning heel. Having all the titles given to only babyfaces isn't a good idea. Barrett has been on a role as well; he's turned a shitty gimmick into his own and drawn a lot of attention .. and moreover, he is actually ENJOYING it. Where there's passion, there's a good performance.

Another question people have been shooting at this thread or similar threads is: What happens when there is one less title for wrestlers to compete for? My opinion is this:

ONE - Here's to the creative team for not making anything interesting (typical IWC comment, right?) But seriously, back in the days, midcard matches didn't necessarily involve titles, a good long booked feud was more than enough.

Two - I would sign a petition for having the cruiserweight or lightweight championship return. A seperate division for guys who won't be pushed to the WWE title. Guys like Kofi, Justin Gabriel, Tyson Kidd, etc. Bryan and Punk were very fortunate, and well deserving of their spotlight. Unfortunately, not all undersized guys get lucky.

I'm all about the unification. Make it a No Holds Barred match or a No DQ match. Let them slug it out and may the best European win.

I really do not want to see the midcard belts get unified. If it did have to take place, Barrett and Sheamus are as fine a choice as any to unify the titles. Barrett should get the honor of winning that match if it takes place. His Bad News persona is the best he has been since his Nexus days and adding the midcard title unification to his list of bragging rights would be good for him. I'm not against Sheamus getting the win in this scenario win if it does happen though, it's just that Barrett could benefit more from it. It would be a good match. Barrett walks out to do a promo on the following edition of Raw stating "If you came here tonight to see the United States Championship then I'm afraid I've got some BAD NEWS!".

I do not have any names I would rather see unify the belts. The main reason for that is I would rather they remain separate. The roster is still large enough to justify having two midcard belts. The Intercontinental Championship should be for the upper midcard, while the US Championship can be the lower tier belt. If they did unify the belts it would clog up the title scene for the remaining belt (likely the Intercontinental Championship) upon the WWE retiring the other belt. I could see the tag team, divas, and even the world titles needing to be unified. They made sense at the time. That's not the case with the midcard belts. Having a world title tier, an upper midcard title tier, and a true midcard title tier makes sense. Thus, the belts should not be unified at all and I have no top choice for who unifies them.

I've always wanted to see Barrett turn face while he was sort of gimmickless, but his new gimmick can't be face, while he's getting a lot of attention babyfaces usually get, how can a "Bad News" gimmick be that of a babyface? It could only ruin any push he is currently getting, also even to try and change his gimmick to Good News Barrett would ruin everything he has worked hard to make popular in Bad News Barrett. Barrett is fine how he is, stay heel, stay Bad News!

As good of a match that would be. I think losing another title will leaving nothing for most wrestlers to do. It will be filled with stupid mind feuds about nothing.

Like why you looking at me wrong.

Unless they bring in another title like Hardcore and/or cruiserweight

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back