• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

No more file sharing?

If you were a TNA fan, FTS, you'd chant that during a Hernandez vs Rob Terry match.

At least for a good 3 seconds, followed by an awkward silence.

I once wrote a satire on illegal downloading.

So, what can be done about these stiff penalties for illegal downloading? We can hardly make everything free to download, because that wouldn’t be enough. Just taking away penalties wouldn’t be enough either. If people want to download, I say we let them download, and more. We could give the public benefits for downloading. Or even a whole new music downloading system that will revolutionize the industry.

I call it “Ingénue”. This RIAA-funded, free for all program will change the way people download music forever. Based on programs such as iTunes’ “Genius” and the Music Genome Project, Ingénue downloads music for you, whether you want it or not. For example, let’s talk about what happens if you download “California Dreaming”, by DJ Sammy.

As “California Dreaming” is downloading, so is the entire album. Ingénue then looks for songs you may also like, and downloads those as well. Ingénue then finds the albums those songs are featured on, and downloads them as well! You can even configure it to download movies that feature those songs. Ingénue does all this automatically, and you don’t even have to lift a finger!

Ingénue will solve all our problems. There will no longer be illegal downloading, because it won’t be illegal anymore. The punishments for illegal downloading will no longer be ridiculous and excessive, because downloading would be encouraged rather than prohibited. Music will get out to the consumer, who will in turn buy tickets to the live shows with all the money they’ve saved by not having to buy expensive CDs, so the artists make more money. The public will trust in the music industry again, no longer paranoid that they will swoop down and sue them for all they’re worth. Best of all, you will never run out of music! Ingénue will continue downloading, and downloading, and downloading until your hard drive is full! This will stimulate sales of portable hard drives and MP3 players, thus pumping money back into the economy and giving companies the funds to make newer and better products that people will want to buy. Ingénue will do so much for the country than just be a new way to download some songs. Ingénue is the future.

This could be the only way possible to solve all the problems that the strict laws regarding downloading face. “Pay What You Want” programs will never work out. People are too selfish to donate to the bands they like. A coalition of artists that do not mind downloading is also a dreadful idea. People will take advantage of their generosity. Offering several “sample” songs for free off of artists’ official website to entice consumers into buying CDs is also not a good idea. People will just cobble together CDs from the free songs and never buy any artists’ CDs. And one of the worst ideas of the lot is setting reasonable fines on those caught illegally downloading, for example one dollar per song and eight dollars per movie. If they want to stop illegal downloading, the RIAA needs to either go free or get out. All of these ideas will fail in some way. Ingénue is the only completely foolproof plan that will solve the problems of ridiculous laws, permanently. The RIAA needs to invest in this, and fast. They are sitting on the savior of America.

I amused myself. And my teacher.

IF I were a TNA fan?

I am likely the most unapologetic TNA mark here.

PLEASE tell me you saw that then. I think it was the PPV match where he like, beat Terry with a clothesline. This was the crowd:

USA!! USA!! USA!! U...S.... .....
...MEXICO! MEXICO!

If you actually read the bill it's nowhere near as bad as made out to be. First reading one, third isn't

Yeah, until people find a work around. There's no way to completely police the entire internet, and no way to block all P2P ports that can be used to share music illegally. But have fun wasting money doing it.

Yeah, until people find a work around. There's no way to completely police the entire internet, and no way to block all P2P ports that can be used to share music illegally. But have fun wasting money doing it.

The Dead used to let people tape the concerts which the record companies HATED. ABSOLUTELY HATED. You had to pay like 5 bucks after to take the tape though. I don't know why more artists do that.

LOL, nice fail-bill UK parliament, enjoy wasting billions and staying in the stone ages while the rest of the world works to realize that file-sharing will absolutely never go away. What a sad, sad day in the UK. You call these people representatives?

The thing is, X. Our Government wants to look as though it is fighting file sharing. When they know that file-sharing is beyond beating. It is far too easy to do and will only get easier. They are fucking idiots if they think that this will remotely help their causes.

The thing is, X. Our Government wants to look as though it is fighting file sharing. When they know that file-sharing is beyond beating. It is far too easy to do and will only get easier. They are fucking idiots if they think that this will remotely help their causes.

Well just giving a quick read over that article on the bill posted it says that the music and film companies basically wrote the bill and passed it, even though no one in the public supports it at all.If this is true, well, that's a god damn fucking shame and those representatives should be ashamed of themselves.

iTunes is MORE than enough proof the record companies are doing this the wrong way. Instead of fighting technology, they should embrace it...they'd make a hell of a lot more money.

We shall continue our plundering of the RIAA and MPAA, for we pirates shall never die!

We shall continue our plundering of the RIAA and MPAA, for we pirates shall never die!
They're so small minded. Theoretically, I can take the CD home, burn it to my computer, make 25 copies to give to friends, and they'll never know.

But put it on the Internet, and suddenly it's a huge ordeal. It's just stupid, and a waste of everyone's time and money.

They'd be better off providing digital music people will want to purchase. Perhaps have a demo song which expires after two listens, and then you have to buy. Sell CDs for $8 online and individual songs for $1. It'd save on manufacturing and distributing, and more people would buy it.

It just astounds me how stubborn and stupid these people are.

They're too spoiled from decades of ripping off the public making cash hand-over-fist, can't let their profits drop from 200% to 150%!

They're so small minded. Theoretically, I can take the CD home, burn it to my computer, make 25 copies to give to friends, and they'll never know.

But put it on the Internet, and suddenly it's a huge ordeal. It's just stupid, and a waste of everyone's time and money.

They'd be better off providing digital music people will want to purchase. Perhaps have a demo song which expires after two listens, and then you have to buy. Sell CDs for $8 online and individual songs for $1. It'd save on manufacturing and distributing, and more people would buy it.

It just astounds me how stubborn and stupid these people are.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. When CD's are being released with less and less material on it, does it really make it worth spending $15-$20 on a brand new CD with maybe 10-12 songs on it? Not typically, and in today's world, everyone wants it now. Make things more available to the public at a good price, and they're apparently emptying coffers will be refilled up. As you said Sly, manufacturing will be minimized, and that should theoretically lower cost.

I think ironically enough, the RIAA's worst enemy is when these artists start realizing they don't need a major record label in order to sell music. While the labels would provide advertising and what not for that artist's album, they also get a major cut of the profits, leaving the artists with a small portion that he ends up having to pay his agents etc. Just ask TLC about that. I think sooner than later artists will see that major labels aren't needed to release their music, and will release it online at a price that is fair, and a price that the artist will make far more profit then if they were on a major record label. It's really a pimp game, the labels pimp the artists, take the majority of the profits from the artist's hard work, and the artist gets just enough to think they're rich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back