• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nickelback's place in Music History

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Growing up in the birthplace of Nickelback, I have been with them since their early dates. Infact, before they ever made it big, they had a great song, a song that I consider their only great song, from their second album, The State.

Since then, they have exploded in the music scene, being a Canadian band who has made it big in the huge American market, and being world famous as one of the biggest Radio Rock groups there is today.

But I don't like them at all. And I know a lot of people do not either, despite their success. Even on this forum, who represents the demographic that Nickelback mostly appeals to, I see a split.

But will their legacy last? Despite my displeasure in the band, I know that they will be big for a long time to come, because they represent a form of music that appeals to the masses, and is safe for radio.

Do they have longeitvity(sp) that's the thing, in twenty years will people mention Nickelback and will people instantly know who they are or will they go 'who'You see being famous now doesn't meen you'll be famous later.

Nickelback haven't pushed the envelope at all in my opinion which means they may just be a footnote in music history as one of the bands from 2000s (I may be wrong) but to be remembered you have to do something extremely interesting and Nickelback haven't done that yet, so until they do im inclined to think they'll just be another footnote in music history

This is a tough one, personally I always enjoyed Nickelback, but more for their older stuff, The Long Road probably being my favorite CD, but now they are more of a Pop Rock and alot more positive songs. And for some reason that just doesn't seem to sit well with Rock fans. I just was never really sure why, from what I have seen, they get such a bad rep. Maybe it was just because I am more into alternative...softer rock than some of my friends who listen to much heavier stuff. I do think their legacy will last more to pop fans than to people that are turned away by the pop rock and those who want to hear more heavier, cutting edge, pushing the envelope music.

Nickleback will like forever on "Classic Rock" stations across canada.

EDIT:

Meaning, in years to come, they wont be adored by critics or future generations. They will fade away and only be listened to nostalgically by 40 year olds with the radio on in the car.

Oh man, I love Breathe by them. You picked a brilliant song. I love that song and "Too Bad" from Silver Side up, but basically every song by them sounds the same and it's mostly pop/rock crap that teenage girls listen to and think they're edgy because they like what they think is a rock band.

Only my Opinion, but early Nickelback was coined as "the band who's every song sounds the same", and generally the people that become huge fans of them only listen to them because they are a trend. I personally don't like their style, it never changes and it sounds like they write the same song over and over with just different words.

Well, I think I'm somewhat of a rarity on these forums, which is a fan of Nickelback. By "fan", I mean I enjoy most of their stuff, both old stuff from The State, their most recent stuff from Dark Horse and everything in between. Infact, I may consider Nickelback as my favourite band, mind you, that isn't set in stone.

Anyway, onto the topic in hand and I think their legacy will remain over the coming years. Bear in mind I can only really offer my perspective as a Brit and how Nickelback is perceived in England. Their rockier stuff like recent single Burn it the Ground gets attention from rock sations and rock channels but nowhere else. Also their lighter stuff like Gotta Be Somebody gets decent mainstream attention from pop stations but is completely ignored by the rock stations. Rockstar was the only song to break into both regions recently and that became a HUGE hit over here. Personally, I prefer their lighter "pop-rock" stuff because it's just the sort of thing I'm into, like Coldplay and The Fray.

So, like TM said, their legacy will last as long as they appeal to a wide range of people. But their legacy won't be cemented unless they produce more hits like How you remind me and Rockstar which are songs that appealed to all types of Rock fans. I understand they are much more well known in America than in England anyway, so that helps me in thinking that their legacy will stand the test of time and their albums will have continued chart success around the world.

At first I thought they really had something going.

The "State" is one of my favorite albums, and the singles received play on my favorite local rock station(we have 4), and they're extremely selective about whob they do and do not play.

And it was, to quote New Found Glory, "all downhill from here." Their music started showing up on pop and hits stations, rather then on rock stations. They sold out their heavier sound for one that would make them money. And it did. i'll give them credit, theyre still great live. But who did they tour with? Hinder and Papa Roach. Hinder never made rock radio here, and Papa Roach hasn't in 4 years at least.

They'll go down in history as a band that did quite well for themselves, but could never make it to the upper tier. Maybe they'll make the rock and roll hall of fame, because they continue to churn out no.1 hits. But they shouldn't. They're a pop ballad band you put on most of their songs with your girl when you want to get laid. Im not saying they dont have talent, they sure do. But I wonder what might have been had they continued to make albums like "The State", and beforehand, Curb, which isn't well known. Kudos to them for re-inventing themselves, I just dont care for them anymore. But they will stand the test of time, they've been around almost 15 years already.

I agree with the original poster, Breathe is their best song, btw.

Sure, I'll tell you the place Nickelback will have in Music History.

Remember Creed? Lulz.

There is some kind of movement for Nickelback, though I don't really know why. They are shit and always have been shit. I refuse to listen to that song you posted TM, but I will take your word for it that it's okay. So they have one good song before they even hit the American market, and absolutely shit song after shit song after that. Not a good track record at all.

Nickelback will be just like Creed. Creed were pretty big, but they had that contingent that knew how much shit they were. I like to call those people the "Non-Idiots."

Then Stapp showed up drunk to a gig, and was booed off stage. I like to think some God of Music sent a prophet down to Earth to drug Stapp. But we'll never know.

Since then we have been free from the shit that is Creed, and everyone started to realize just how bad they were. 6 feet from the Edge? Really? What a horrible fucking song.

Now Creed are coming back, and it's only a matter of time before we have to make a stand against the musical abominations once more.

So, you may be asking, what is Nickelback's legacy in Music History? They will fade away, we will realize they were shit, then they will comeback. But we'll be ready for them that time. We'll boo them to the Hell from whence they came, and all will be good in the world.

Music History: Shit band, shitty singing.

I was never really a fan, my cousin liked the state so I bought the record and I tried to like it but I couldn't. I'm actually surprised they're still making records almost ten years removed from How You Remind Me. Their legacy will be that of every other throwaway "product of their times" (though I hardly consider middling post-grunge a product of this millennium more so that they are product of the redundancy of music in these times) rock band. They will be remembered with feint nostalgia but hardly the type of band a father or a cool uncle will show to his kid or nephew and proclaim with awe inspiring wonder "behold the magic of rock".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back