• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NFL's Adam 'Pacman' Jones Signs With TNA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.

SmackDown! is MY Show
According to a report by WTVF Channel 5 in Nashville, NFL star Adam "Pacman" Jones has either signed or is expected to sign a short-term deal with TNA Wrestling.

The report later stated the signing was supposed to be kept secret until Jeff Jarrett returned from a trip out of the country either today or Tuesday.

We can also independently confirming that this story is indeed true for those finding it hard to believe. For those unaware, Jones (who plays for the Tennessee Titans) was suspended by the NFL for a year after he was linked to a Las Vegas shooting at a strip club over the NBA All-Star weekend. As noted earlier, news of Jones' signing with TNA is expected to give the company some mainstream publicity, even if it won't be good.

it has now been confirmed that suspended NFL Tennessee Titan cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones has signed a deal with TNA Wrestling. The deal was reportedly signed late last week.

As noted earlier, Jones is currently suspended for the entire 2007 NFL season without pay for personal problems which most noteably includes a shooting at a Las Vegas strip club that left former independent pro wrestler Tommy Urbanski paralyzed. His current suspension could possibly be lifted 10 games into the season pending a hearing. Jones was recently informed he wouldn't be allowed to attend the Titans training camp.

According to reports, the Titans organization has no issue with Jones getting involved with pro wrestling and TNA at this time. This was not an idea by Vince Russo to bring Jones into the company. Expect more news regarding this situation later today and during the week.

Ok I have no Idea what TNA is thinking now. Here they have a guy in pacman who is always in trouble with the Law and this will give TNA some main stream media but is this really they way to go? Whats Next Mike Vick in TNA. I'm really upset with TNA if this proves to be true. Theres no need to grab pacman to just be on TV.

This is very interesting if you ask me. Pac-Man is a hell of a football player but the guy is a trouble maker off the field plain and simple. This move right here is going to give TNA publicity but I don't know if it is the right kind of publicty. But I do give Pac-Man credit, he needs a job right now and he got one. But this will be intresting to see how it plays out and what his role in the company is and what happens with him

This is just obsurd. At one point in time this company was supposed to be the start of something big and actually compete against the wwe. Since then they have gone completely downhill by signing people that will make absolutley zero contribution to the company. It's official ladies and gents. TNA is Desperate.

By signing Pac-Man I don't if thats desprate. Signing worthless big men with who WWE released like Test, Tomko, Albert, Morgan and maybe Rikishi that is desprate thoes are all rejects. But sigining Pac-Man has to be more for publicity then anything it is freaking absurd they would sign most likely the most controversial athlete in sports today next to Barry Bonds.

This is very interesting if you ask me. Pac-Man is a hell of a football player but the guy is a trouble maker off the field plain and simple. This move right here is going to give TNA publicity but I don't know if it is the right kind of publicty. But I do give Pac-Man credit, he needs a job right now and he got one. But this will be intresting to see how it plays out and what his role in the company is and what happens with him

Pacman is playing TNA. He signed just so he can make some money while be suspended by the NFL. He is not going to make any kind of impact on TNA whatsoever. TNA should be signing WRESTLERS who are actually going to bring something to the company other than a couple of conversations and debates on ESPN.

This actually doesn't surprise too much that Pacman signed with TNA. TNA has worked with many athletes before including former Tennessee Titan Frank Wycheck. It would be cool to see him wrestle. I wonder who he'd feud with and how he'd be used.

Pacman is playing TNA. He signed just so he can make some money while be suspended by the NFL. He is not going to make any kind of impact on TNA whatsoever. TNA should be signing WRESTLERS who are actually going to bring something to the company other than a couple of conversations and debates on ESPN.

Well thats why TNA signed Pac-Man. The same reason the WWE has brought in Mike Tyson and Lawrence Taylor.. To get some publicity on ESPN.. I mean they brought in Trump to get main-stream media attention. TNA signing Pac-man I think is better then signing these WWE rejects. Atleast Pac-Man will bring some publicity, it may not be good publicity but none of the less it is and thats all TNA is trying to get is publicity too booast rating. I mean they have broke a 1.0 in nielsens now it is time for 1.5 or 2.0 and they must think the curosity the public will have for Pac-Man combined with the media attention this will get can attain that rating.

By signing Pac-Man I don't if thats desprate. Signing worthless big men with who WWE released like Test, Tomko, Albert, Morgan and maybe Rikishi that is desprate thoes are all rejects. But sigining Pac-Man has to be more for publicity then anything it is freaking absurd they would sign most likely the most controversial athlete in sports today next to Barry Bonds.
Tomko, and especially Albert, have turned into good and fantastic big man workers respectively.

Pacman is playing TNA. He signed just so he can make some money while be suspended by the NFL.
Umm...duh???

Do you really think TNA doesn't know this? But, TNA is just playing Jones. Do you really think they'd give a damn about him if he wasn't always in the news?

This actually doesn't surprise too much that Pacman signed with TNA. TNA has worked with many athletes before including former Tennessee Titan Frank Wycheck. It would be cool to see him wrestle. I wonder who he'd feud with and how he'd be used.
And, from what I remember, TNA was VERY impressed and satisfied with how Wycheck handled himself.

Well thats why TNA signed Pac-Man. The same reason the WWE has brought in Mike Tyson and Lawrence Taylor.. To get some publicity on ESPN.. I mean they brought in Trump to get main-stream media attention. TNA signing Pac-man I think is better then signing these WWE rejects. Atleast Pac-Man will bring some publicity, it may not be good publicity but none of the less it is and thats all TNA is trying to get is publicity too booast rating. I mean they have broke a 1.0 in nielsens now it is time for 1.5 or 2.0 and they must think the curosity the public will have for Pac-Man combined with the media attention this will get can attain that rating.

I highly agree with you, Josh. Regarding Pacman's character, bear in mind that the WWE hired a highly publicized convicted rapist in Mike Tyson. Many people attribute the rise in rating in 1997 to Steve Austin, but the truth is, Mike Tyson brought in millions of viewers who normally didn't watch wrestling. Many of these people stuck around after Tyson's exit because they dug Austin's character. Pacman is guaranteed to bring in curious football fan's, some of whom may dig TNA's product and become regular viewers. If they push Pacman into a feud with a young star with a great potential (Samoa Joe, Joey Styles, Christian, etc.), this could be a great way for TNA to propel a star into mainstream media attention, like Tyson did in his feud with Austin. The WWE didn't suffer because of Tyson's image and I doubt TNA will suffer due to Pacman's image. As much as we may hate to admit it, most non-wrestling fans don't view the product with respect to begin with (at least a majority), so even if there is negative backlash, it won't go against the mainstream of view of wrestling.

I highly agree with you, Josh. Regarding Pacman's character, bear in mind that the WWE hired a highly publicized convicted rapist in Mike Tyson. Many people attribute the rise in rating in 1997 to Steve Austin, but the truth is, Mike Tyson brought in millions of viewers who normally didn't watch wrestling.
How can this be the truth when there is no factual evidence to support it?

Clearly, TNA is doing this for increased attention, but let's not go overboard now.

I highly agree with you, Josh. Regarding Pacman's character, bear in mind that the WWE hired a highly publicized convicted rapist in Mike Tyson. Many people attribute the rise in rating in 1997 to Steve Austin, but the truth is, Mike Tyson brought in millions of viewers who normally didn't watch wrestling. Many of these people stuck around after Tyson's exit because they dug Austin's character. Pacman is guaranteed to bring in curious football fan's, some of whom may dig TNA's product and become regular viewers. If they push Pacman into a feud with a young star with a great potential (Samoa Joe, Joey Styles, Christian, etc.), this could be a great way for TNA to propel a star into mainstream media attention, like Tyson did in his feud with Austin. The WWE didn't suffer because of Tyson's image and I doubt TNA will suffer due to Pacman's image. As much as we may hate to admit it, most non-wrestling fans don't view the product with respect to begin with (at least a majority), so even if there is negative backlash, it won't go against the mainstream of view of wrestling.

I see what you are saying. Mike Tyson is also a bigger star than Pacman Jones. I know that when wwe did it with Mike Tyson, most people stuck around because they dug austin's character but who is going to be the wrestler that is going to help draw veiwers to TNA when Pacman shows up? Do you think that anybody in TNA has the capability to do what austin did? I honestly don't think so but we'll see.

A.J. I respectfully disagree with you. TNA is trying to pull out some of the stops to get exposure. Think about it - they are looking at new TV contract ideas, going to 2 hours, etc. What better than a controversial, mainstream star to get it going?

I will reference WWE's use of Mike Tyson in the Steve Austin / Shawn Michaels match for this. Tyson was controversial, risky, but POLARIZING. His presence made main TV.

Also, think about it this way. WWE is getting mainstream attention for Chris Benoit, steroids, etc. Basically, NEGATIVE press. TNA can grab some controversial but certainly less flammable headlines by bringing Pacman in.

I don't think it's as risky as you say. Jones knows if he screws up ONE TIME he may not get back into the NFL. Maybe this will keep him out of trouble, but he certainly won't dare risk his future.

I think TNA are trying to get alot more mainstream exposure. Even if it is bad exposure, they will still be getting there name across. I think as long as they didnt get burned too much with the pay, its win win for each group

How can this be the truth when there is no factual evidence to support it?

Clearly, TNA is doing this for increased attention, but let's not go overboard now.

Look at the ratings increase the WWE experienced once they brought him in for the angle. I don't have exact figures on hand (they are in my old PWI's), but they were a significant increase in not only ratings, but PPV buys. And it wasn't just WCW fans who turned notice, because if you combined WCW and WWE/WWF's rating from even 3 months previous, the entire wrestling audience expanded. This might not have been solely due to Mike Tyson's involvement, but the fact is, he got people to tune into wrestling who never would've watched it otherwise. Also, Tyson's involvement was covered on all national media outlets (I even remember seeing it make the local evening news).
The ratings increase is fact. It's a closer study or matter of opinion in regards to who tuned in due to Tyson's involvement, but these numbers just didn't appear from nowhere. There had to be a significant number of people who tuned in due to the rating's increase.

from TSN.ca
'Pacman' Jones going into pro wrestling

The Sports Network

Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - Suspended Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones has agreed to sign with the Total Nonstop Action pro wrestling group.

According to WTVF in Nashville, the deal will be announced Tuesday.

Jones was suspended for the entire 2007 season on April 10 by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for numerous run-ins with the law in just two NFL seasons, including some type of alleged involvement in a shooting at a Las Vegas strip club during the NBA's All-Star weekend in February. That incident left an employee of the club, ironically a former pro wrestler, paralyzed from the waist down.

Since entering the NFL, Jones has been questioned by police 10 times and has been arrested five times.

The TNA wrestling promotion is based in Nashville and is owned by Panda Energy but is a distant second in a realm ruled by World Wrestling Entertainment. The company is run by Dixie Carter and longtime pro wrestler Jeff Jarrett.

The signing of Jones is an effort to garner publicity for a fringe company in an industry already stained by implications of steroid and other drug use after the highly-publicized Chris Benoit murder-suicide case.

I'm not sure that this is a good idea for TNA. They are looking for mainstream exposure in order to garner a bigger audience, however Pacman is currently involved in an investigation regarding the February shooting of a bouncer at a strip club. He was alledgedly shot by a member of Pacman's entourage.

The difference between this and Mike Tyson's involvment with the WWE is that Mike was not currently involved in a matter of this ramification at the time of his involvement. Pacman however is and it will bring negative attention to TNA that is not needed. This could only hurt TNA, Pacman is not a household name and would not garner enough interest to benefit TNA positively.

A.J. I respectfully disagree with you. TNA is trying to pull out some of the stops to get exposure. Think about it - they are looking at new TV contract ideas, going to 2 hours, etc. What better than a controversial, mainstream star to get it going?

I understand what your saying but TNA is already being know now as WWE Reject Centeral and I just feel that brining in Jones is not the best move. Of course it will draw mainstream media and what not but what happens if he is indicted on something...it wont look good. But hey i know they need to do things to get ratings and get those hours they need. But I just feel if they are going out to get a celebrity type there are many others out there they can get.

Wowza, I guess this is why Pacman has been really upping trying to get back into the league last week, and pushing the NFL for a decision about training camp.

Obviously this is for the betterment of both people, even though I think TNA is going way overboard in trying to get public exposure. Pacman is doing something that is probably going to pay him well, and keep him in top physical condition until he comes back.

TNA is obviously getting a quick fix when it comes to media exposure. Bad press is still press, and the name is getting out there. TNA is using some rather nasty Attitude Era tactics, and I personally did it. I don't like Pacman, but the end result is going to be viewers, like it or not.

I understand what your saying but TNA is already being know now as WWE Reject Centeral and I just feel that brining in Jones is not the best move. Of course it will draw mainstream media and what not but what happens if he is indicted on something...it wont look good. But hey i know they need to do things to get ratings and get those hours they need. But I just feel if they are going out to get a celebrity type there are many others out there they can get.

Yeah, this is only a cheap PR stunt, but it will backfire bigtime on them! I have a feeling ESPN and the like will only laugh and next to nobody will care enough to watch. If they wanted attention bring in Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan...or better yet try to bring in some GOOD wrestlers and make a good high quality product.

Here's a brief list of major media that have already picked up the story:

USA Today
FOX Sports
MSNBC
NBC Sports
AOL sports
Baltimore Sun
Kansas City Star
The Sporting News
Michigan Daily
News Channel 5 Nashville
Slam Sports
KGPE CBS affiliate
Robertson County Times
The Tennessean

That's just a sample and that's just from today. I think we can agree that this is indeed getting some publicity for TNA. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Look at the ratings increase the WWE experienced once they brought him in for the angle. I don't have exact figures on hand (they are in my old PWI's), but they were a significant increase in not only ratings, but PPV buys. And it wasn't just WCW fans who turned notice, because if you combined WCW and WWE/WWF's rating from even 3 months previous, the entire wrestling audience expanded. This might not have been solely due to Mike Tyson's involvement, but the fact is, he got people to tune into wrestling who never would've watched it otherwise. Also, Tyson's involvement was covered on all national media outlets (I even remember seeing it make the local evening news).
The ratings increase is fact. It's a closer study or matter of opinion in regards to who tuned in due to Tyson's involvement, but these numbers just didn't appear from nowhere. There had to be a significant number of people who tuned in due to the rating's increase.
The ratings did not increase until AFTER Wrestlemania 14. The ratings started to skyrocket during the Austin vs. McMahon feud. Mike Tyson did not bring ratings or PPV buys. It was the Austin vs. McMahon feud that drove the ratings. I have the exact figures in front of me right now looking at them. Here, I'll even share. Wrestlemania 14 was March 29th, 1998.

http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/wwf/wwfraw.htm

It was the rebel badass who was anti-authority, beating up his millionaire boss which brought attention and increased ratings. Not Mike Tyson.

Yeah, this is only a cheap PR stunt, but it will backfire bigtime on them! I have a feeling ESPN and the like will only laugh and next to nobody will care enough to watch. If they wanted attention bring in Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan...or better yet try to bring in some GOOD wrestlers and make a good high quality product.

No "GOOD" wrestlers will bring as much attention or viewership as an NFL star who is always in the media. Unless that "GOOD" wrestler is The Rock, then TNA is doing the best they can.

Here's a brief list of major media that have already picked up the story:

USA Today
FOX Sports
MSNBC
NBC Sports
AOL sports
Baltimore Sun
Kansas City Star
The Sporting News
Michigan Daily
News Channel 5 Nashville
Slam Sports
KGPE CBS affiliate
Robertson County Times
The Tennessean

That's just a sample and that's just from today. I think we can agree that this is indeed getting some publicity for TNA. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
And this is the very reason that TNA made this deal. That's a FINE collection of media outlets.

This is the exact reason why TNA has done this, as said before, it's a publicity stunt. It lets Pacman stay in reasonable athletic shape, all the while collecting probably a 500,000 pay check to work maybe less then 10 dates, and whose to say what kind of role it's going to be in, and, it's free media exposure.

Why the TNA bashers are out on this, I don't know. There ratings are their highest they have been, and instead of being complacent like the big lazy company, they are doing what they can to draw attention to themselves. What is the problem with that?

all these sigining still just seem like a move for more ratings, and pacman was a great idea, TNAs ratings are going up, i know that for most of us who watched TNA in the beginning its hard to watch so many ex wwe rejects getting signed, but if u want the truth, guys like sabin, shelly, senshi, jay lethal, or the rest of the x division isnt gonna bring TNA more ratings

and thats TNAs main priority right now, as soon as they're rating get big, and TNA really starts taking off, they will start using all they're best talent again, right now its just risky to use them because like many wrestling fans say ''the x division is more like a circus'' dont get me wrong, i love them, but obviously kurt angle vs christian or samoa joe is what most fans want, so thats what TNA is gonna deliver

having more ratings means the company getting bigger and better, the better it gets the more freedom it will have to use the x division to its true potential, kinda like how wcw used their awsome crusierweights...

The ratings are staying the same... If Kurt Angle vs Christian or Joe is their big draw and they are still pulling in 1.1 - 1.2's they still have some more work to do.

I personally watched TNA for guys like Styles, Abyss and others; because they were fresh new faces in my eyes. But now they get the shaft (in some cases) to guys like Scott Steiner, Angle, Cage and others.

You know i saw ESPN's FristTake today and the interview with pacman and Jarrett seemed more like bashing Wrestling and why would he do it. Pacman came off not to well as he was like i can wrestle and pretty good and what not. I really think not the greatest move by TNA buthey they are getting publicity and who knows Pacman might coudl very well learn to wrestle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back