NFL Coaching Carousel

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
With Eric Mangini being fired this morning, this is at least the fifth coaching change in the league in a few days now. Thoughts overall on thee coaching changes so far?

Eric Mangini: I expected this. I think Mangini is lucky to have had the job this year as he just wasn't a Holmgren kind of guy. I'm sure Mangini will latch on elsewhere as he isn't terrible, but I think it'll be a while until he gets another head coaching gig.

John Fox: Another one we all knew was coming. Fox is going to be a top coaching candidate in my mind out of the available guys. Fox is a good defensive guy and good at working a running offense. Oakland could be a likely destination.

Tom Cable: Speaking of Oakland, this one surprised me. Cable seem to get the best out of his players and they had their best season in years this year. Finishing at 8-8 and they seem to be on the up and up. Could be a top guy to return, as his contract was just up so he could return. I think it'll be him or John Fox coaching the Raiders come next season.

Mike Singletary: This was expected. Singletary is a great motivator and communicator. He'll definitely be on a staff next year. Now I'm not sure of him as a coordinator. Singletary to me is either a head coach or a position coach. Wouldn't surprise me if Minnesota tries to bring him in as a LB coach if Frazier doesn't want to stay in house.

Marvin Lewis: I'm just gonna assume he gets the can. His contract is up so the Bengals stingy owner won't have to pay out his deal and can look elsewhere. Lewis again is a guy who will have a job next year. Whether it is a defensive coordinator or a college head coach he'll definitely be employed.

Gary Kubiak: I am shocked that Houston is keeping him around. The team had playoff inspirations this year and Kubiak failed. He should have been canned and the Texans should have looked elsewhere. Though maybe I'm putting too much blame on Kubiak, but that defense was atrocious. Maybe Wade Phillips can sure it up and Kubiak can focus on his potent offense.

Leslie Frazier: I'm glad the Vikes are most likely going to stick with him. I think highly of Leslie, as he is a Dungy guy and a coach the player's can rally behind.

Jason Garrett: He'll definitely be the Boys coach. After Phillips got canned Garrett stepped up and had his team playing hard and looking like a good football team. Give him a healthy Romo and you gotta think Garrett is gonna have the Boys in the playoff hunt next year.

Tom Coughlin: A decision that could have gone either way. Giants flopped at the end of the year again, but his contract is up at the end of next season so it makes sense to let him play it out. He is a good coach and the players seem to like him despite his disciplinary style.

Tony Sparano: I expect him to be gone from Miami, but that is definitely in the air. Sparano turned the Phins around rather quickly but now they've just fluttered around mediocrity the past couple seasons.

Jeff Fisher: His name has popped up, but I think Tennessee would be stupid to even think about getting rid of him just so they can stick with Vince Young. Fisher is a great coach and would have another job in no time.

We all know the big name candidates like Gruden, Cowher, and Harbaugh (from Stanford) but there are some other great options on the market as well.

Brian Billick: Billick is a guy I would hire without second thought. He is a smart football guy and he has both offensive and defensive smarts. The Niners I think would be ideal for Billick and besides Harbaugh he should be a favorite.

Ron Rivera: Had excellent success with Chicago and now is looking like he has that spark again in San Diego. I think Carolina would be an ideal place for Rivera as they have good talent on defense and he can hire a staff to help with the offense.

Russ Grimm-Old school kind of guy and his name seems to come up every year. Would bring an old school mentality to whoever would hire him.

Rob Ryan-Doesn't have the look of a head coach, but he reminds me of his brother in terms of motivational ability. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Cleveland just promoted him from defensive coordinator to head coach, though Holmgren might be the likely guy.

As far as I know these are the only coaching fireing that have happen so far this season

1-Mangini- two five win season isn't going to be enough to keep your job, especially when your GM is Mike Holgrem and he's just aching to get on the sidelines and coach again, Holmgrem has lead teh Packers to 2 SBs, winning one of them adn lead the Seahawks to one as well, so he knows what it takes to get there, I don't really like the idea of a GM/Coach, I think if you try and do both jobs it gets a bit demanding and you tend to stretch yourself thin, but with that said if Holmgrem does take over the Browns Coaching position

2-Singletary- Singletary was just a bad coach, plain and simple, awesome motivational speaker, and always good for a sound bite or two, but when it came down to it this guy really had no business as a head coach in the NFL, that drill sargent approach may work in HS on College, but you are not going to get away with it in the NFL, I like Singletary and hope he either finds a job on TV or maybe as an assistant somewhere, but as a HC no, he still has alot to learn yet before getting another chance at being a HC in this league

3-McDaniels- Great OC, but that's about it, this guy doesn't know how to work with his players, doesn't know how to talk to the media, and appearently doesn't realize that you also need a defesne to win games, I can't fault him for running Cuntler, & Brandon Marshall out of town, both were prima-donna crybabies, and nobody knew Payton Hillis was going to have the year he had, so I really can't ault him for any of that, but how he hadnle the whole tape thing, and not building anything on the defensive side of the ball, or trying to replace the guys he got rid of, McDaniels needed to go, he should have no problem finding a job as a OC or something, maybe in a few years he'll get a second chance at a HC posistion

4-Childress-This guy just plian sucked as a Coach, I seriously would like to know where Min. finds such ******s to fill their coaching vacancies with, I mean seriously first you had Tice, for far far to long, then they finally fire that dumbass, and what do they do, they turn around I hire another fucking ****** who has no business being a HC, I guy that the players apparently didn't like or respect at all, Min. has a ton of talent, they just need to go out and find a guy who can make the talent work for them, Frazier could be that guy, and should get the job, at least give the guy one full season and see what he can do, Childress... who fucking cares, I'm sure somebody will give him a job somewhere, but I'll be surprised if anyone is stupid enough to give him another HC job

5-Phillips- IDK what to say here, firing him was obviously a good decision, as soon as Phillips was out the door this team started to play like the Dallas Cowboys every though they were going to be coming into this season, Phillips will find a job somewhere, he always does, he just wasn't the right fit for this team, I think if Garrett gets the job he'll do fine, this season has shown that the Cowboys respond and respect him enough to show up and play for him every game, they still make stupid mistakes here and there, but at least they're playing, unlike they were at the beginning of the season

All in all I really don't have any problems with any of the coaching firings made so far, all of them seem justifiable, only thing I have a slight issue with is firing Singletary after the week 16 loss, why bother, why not wait and let him have that one last game, there is nothing you are going to see from an interm coach in week 17 that is really worthwhile, but that aside no real issues, it should be interesting to see what big name coaches come out and take new jobs

Mangini: 10-22 isn't a very good record as a head coach. I don't expect Holmgren to take over but I could see a John Fox getting the job. Gruden is unlikely too because he wants to remain an analyst.

Childress: The guy is an idiot and doesn't deserve anything more than an offensive coordinator position.

Singletary: Wasn't ready to be a head coach. I see him getting a defensive coordinator job next year.

Phillips: Awesome defensive coordinator. Will probably go to Houston and fix their poor defense.

Frazier: Great decision to keep him in Minnesota as he won 3 of 5 games and could really turn them around if they get a QB.

Garrett: Another great re-hire. The Players respect him and he could be the guy to get them back to the Super Bowl.

Fox: The top head coaching canidate right now thats not a Gruden or Cowher.

The only coach I'll feel bad for, really, is Cable. He's finally turned this team around and NOW they wan't to get rid of him? If they were going to fire him, it should've been after the incident where he punched the guy in the locker room. I also feel a little sorry for Singletary, I mean, I know it had to be done, but I think he can be a good coach in the league. His heart is certainly in it. If the Carolina job is open, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cowher return to coaching.

Looks like Marvin Lewis is staying put in Cincinnati, which baffles me. Lewis isn't a flashy coach and he has been rather inconsistent with the team. I was for sure that Lewis was gonna be canned (which I posted above), but that isn't the case. Interesting move as I figured the two would part and look elsewhere.

Looks like Marvin Lewis is staying put in Cincinnati, which baffles me. Lewis isn't a flashy coach and he has been rather inconsistent with the team. I was for sure that Lewis was gonna be canned (which I posted above), but that isn't the case. Interesting move as I figured the two would part and look elsewhere.

The only coach I'll feel bad for, really, is Cable. He's finally turned this team around and NOW they wan't to get rid of him?

I really don't think Cable was the one who turned the team around as much as Hue Jackson, hell he's already getting offers from the 9ers.

I really don't think Cable was the one who turned the team around as much as Hue Jackson, hell he's already getting offers from the 9ers.
Tom Cable deserves a lot of credit too, though. Yes, Hue Jackson was a big part too, but to say he doesn't get credit for it is just flat-out wrong. The head coach gets the blame when things go bad, and as such they are supposed to get credit when things go good. By the way, Hue Jackson is the frontrunner for the very job he is getting credit here for.

Actually, the guy I feel the most bad for is Tony Sparano. He hasn't even been fired, yet the owner of the Dolphins not only is interviewing other people for his job (Jim Harbaugh), he is supposedly offering him enough money to make him the highest paid coach in the NFL (over $7.5 a year). Yes, Sparano hasn't been very good in Miami, and they may need to change coaches. However, to interview and practically make an offer to another coach before firing the other guy is just wrong (not to mention they cannot hire Harbaugh until they interview a minority candidate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back