Next Affliction Main Event

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
Promoter Tom Atencio of Affliction announced today in an interview with MMArated.com that the match everyone expected coming off Saturday night, Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski, would headline its first PPV event of 2008.

While no date or location has been announced, it is believed the show will take place 1/24 from the Honda Center in Anaheim.

It will be a five-round match for the WAMMA world heavyweight championship.

Although the show was originally announced as being a joint promotion with Golden Boy, that would include boxing and MMA matches, this will be an all-MMA Affliction show.

Could work out quite well for Affliction. Only problem being that Arlovski has been dull for a good 18 months or so now, and it's also likely that fedor will probably just crush him. There will come a time in the not to distant future when that will become a problem for people watching shows involving him. Where's the excitment if he always wins easily?

I thought Arlovski looked really good last week during his EliteXC fight. Only problem with that was that he took on a complete fatass who was a real sloppy fighter. People thought Arlovski was pretty much toying with him... and I think that a definite case could be made for that. It's hard to believe that the guy who he faced was the former IFL champion. It goes to show you the quality of fighters that promotion had.

I think that the next Affliction card will be a real interesting one, as they've lost a lot of buzz from their first event. They're also probably going to want to distance themselves from EliteXC just a little bit. That wound up being a major misfire, regardless of the fact that they got Arlovski exposed to a major audience.

Arlovski vs. Fedor should at least be a lot more competitive than Fedor vs. Sylvia, and although the fight will definitely be competitive, the chances of Arlovski pulling off a victory are pretty slim. Arlovski is one of my favorites, but Fedor is really just unstoppable, and is arguably the best fighter pound for pound. After Fedor defeats Arlovski, all that's really left for him is Barnett. There's nobody else signed with Affliction that's even close to being a legitimate challenge for Fedor. Fedor needs to make the jump to the UFC soon. He needs to fight Couture before he retires, and there's a bunch of guys on the UFC roster who could at least pull out an entertaining fight with him.

I'm going to love to see Arlovski fall to the Almighty Emelianenko. Not because I don't love Andrei as a fighter...because I do. I just love Fedor and what he represents that much more. Dominance and independence separated from the UFC. If he beats Arlovski (which I feel is pretty much a foregone conclusion) he'll have disposed of two former UFC heavyweight champions and the current Interim title holder (twice). Dana White is probably seething that he can't buy the viability required to cement the legacy his heavyweight division needs. Mainly because any fight fan with an I.Q. above their waist size knows that Fedor would wipe the fucking floor with ANYONE of the top four heavies in the upcoming UFC "mini-tournament."

The one thing I noticed in the last two Arlovski fights is that once he gave up top control, Andrei was in danger. Rothwell was raining down solid elbows but was stood up. Nelson was searching for an Americana or a Kimura, but was stood up (in what some still see as bullshit reffing call as he was still working to advance position). Andrei is beyond fucked if he gets on the ground with Fedor. Any man who willingly dives into Nog's guard and hammers the fuck out of his skull should be feared on the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back