• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Newest Wrestler to join the announce team.

Sparky

Master of the Aussie kiss
Jerry "the King" Lalwer, Mick Foley and tazz are the current retired wrestlers to join an anounce team. JBl did it for a while before he Decided to go back to wrestling. Who do you think would be perfect once they retire for the Role? Personally i Think This is what HBK should do when he retires, His dedication and love for the Buisness is huge and I cant see him leaving the WWE for good. He is also one of the most Veteran wrestlers in the WWE and one of the best Promo cutters. He would be perfect for the job. He could be just like "King" and wrestling occasionally. When HBK talks people listen, I really think that HBK could be the next biggest anouncer right up there with JR and KING. Who else would be good as an announcer?

This is a really good thread idea. And I agree with you.

When looking for the next new announcer, you can look at some skills in takes to be a good wrestler in order to determine who could do well. You need someone who pulls off some great promos, and is really good on the mic. And not only this, you need someone with a great wrestling knowledge. Not all wrestlers who are good on the mic in the ring would be a good announcer.

However, I agree with you in saying Shawn would make a good announcer. He did a great job as WWE commissioner when he injurred his back, and I think that would help when it came to announcing. He would know exactly how each move feels, and so could execute working the crowd perfectly.

As well as Shawn, I think Santino could be quite good at it. There's something about him which captivates most of the audience. I think he'd have to learn a little more about the business before he could, but all in all he could be good for the job.

I agree that Santino would be fantasic at colour commentating, but my first pick would have to be BG James. Hell, even though I barely watch TNA, BG James ring days are behind him pretty much, TNA never seem to use him except for little skits backstage, and TNA desperate need of decent commentators cause West and Tenay are worse than Grisham and Coach.

For WWE, I maybe would of went with either Lance Cade or Trevor Murdoch. The reason for this is when they joined JR and King at the booth I really enjoyed them talking and I think either of them would be good when that time comes.

I see what everyone is saying with HBK, as he has the right sort of character for the job, and I remember him doing commentary when DX were feuding with th Nation and it being quite good Although he was also joined by Jason Sensation and because I was 10, and I thought that was hilarious, my view may be a bit distorted.

However, I don't think that he'd do it, because as has been said, he has had a 4 year absence from the ring, and I think he would have started to do it then, at least on Heat. In the past when people have been out for as little as 6 months they have ended up doing commentary, and he never did in 4 years, so I think it is something he isn't interested in. Which is a shame, because he'd be good for exactly the reasons you say.

Santino's character of the slimy heel who runs from fights is perfect for a heel colour commentator, but I don't believe that there is anyone in the world who wouldn't find his voice a bit grating for two hours a week every week.

Personally, I'd like to see JBL return to the role, and soon, because his manboobs are taking up valuable upper card space. I quite like it when John Morrison or The Miz do it, although I think that might be soley down to them putting Adamle in his place. I think it'd also be funny for about 5 minutes to have Kahli or Umaga on commentary.

Over on TNA, I wouldn't mind seeing Brother Ray do it. He's quite a good heel, and unlike all of the WWE heels, he riles up the crowd without making it 100% about him in an arrogant manner. I tink that'd make a good heel colour commentator. To be honest though, just about anyone on the TNA roster could do better than their current team, and they really should utilise BG James better.

Chris Jericho, I think, would be a great heel commentator. He's awesome on the mic, can rile up the crowd and has knowledge of the business. I think he would do well with JR. I don't know if Jericho would do it when he retires, but if he decided to, I think he would be a great heel commentator.

I loved when Elijah Burke did commentary for an ECW episode. John Morrison and The Miz actually had some funny moments with Adamle.

I ultimately would say Elijah Burke, currently because they have nothing for him but he also has a talent when it comes to talking.

for a full time future announcer, the first name that popped into my head is Chris Jericho. We already know that he is 100% comfortable on the microphone, can think on his feet, can sound intelligent (something not every wrestler can do), has a great sense of humor, and can play both a face and a heel, depending on circumstances, much like Jerry "The King" Lawler can.

Other than Jericho, I disagree with those mentioning HBK. I love the guy as a wrestler, I love him in his promo spots...but, to be honest, I don't want to hear his scratchy voice for 2 hours every week. He is fine doing the occasional guest announcing for a match or two, I just can't see him doing it permanently. I do think however, that JBL will return to announcing after this "comeback" is over with. I question how much more he can do in the ring, so I gotta think within a year or two, JBL could be right back at the announcer's table. He did a good job as a heel announcer, the former wrestler rooting for the bad guys, just like Jesse Ventura used to.

I'll go out on a limb and say Matt Striker. He's great on the mic, he's a pretty good heel and god knows he's not going to be doing much wrestling, especially on Raw. I think he'd make a good transition in to cllour commentary.

Santino would be great however, some people might only be able to take him in small doses, plus he's better in the ring where everyone can hear him.

What about Ted Dibiase Snr? That could work. he's one of the best heels ever and his mic work is amazing. he could easily do what JBL used to do on Smackdown.

I would put Santino in the spot. He could play that heel role as a commentator. He could still wrestle sometimes as well. I could imagine Undertaker or Kane, someone chasing him away from the announce table. That would be funny. He is a wasted talent while it comes to wrestling anyway. He should be exposed in someway.

If not Santino, I would like to see Jericho commentating. He could call a match and be a heel. He could be better than JBL. And JBL did a great job to me. Jerico is a smart wrestler who can be a smart ass as well. I would prefer to see one of those two one day sitting next to King Lawler.

I think that JBL was gold when he was announcing for SmackDown. His ring work is limited at best, and he's out of shape. His wrestling comeback isn't that great at the moment, and I think he would be much better off going back to the commentary position. He was so damn entertaining on SmackDown that him not commentating after he retires would be a crime against nature.

HBK would be okay, but his voice would get kind of grating after an hour. His knowledge of the business and mic ability would be perfect for it, but that voice would make it almost unbareable after a while.

Chris Jericho would be a perfect addition after he decides to hang up the boots. He has the voice for it, the knowledge, that personality, and the mic skill to back it up. He would be the perfect announcer, as either a face or heel announcer. He could honestly be more entertaining than Lawler was back in the attitude era. And believe me, Lawler was HILARIOUS back in the day.

I've always thought Dreamer would be a good color guy, from what I've heard on DVDs when he does the commentary tracks on those, and also when he sits at the announce table as a special guest he always seems to be good, and I have always enjoyed his commentary, the guy knows alot about the business and you can tell just by listening to him that he really loves it, if Tazz were to ever leave ECW then Dreamer would be the guy I would want to see plugged into his place

I agree with Elijah Burke. I mean, I hope he don't give up wrestling anytime soon, hell, I hope he starts soon! But I do remember about his 3rd or 4th week on ECW, Tazz was absent, so Elijah Burke joined him. This was a guy no one really knew, hell he even had Turkay with him that night. and he did an amazing job for his first time. I enjoyed it. So I say Burke.

I can't see HBK being a color commentator. I know he COULD, but I don't think he should. His career just wouln't look the same with Comentator added. Same as Flair. He's retired, he had the big sendoff, he needs to go lay down and leave the stage for good.

I'm gonna throw out a completely different idea, and go with John Cena. Every time he does guest commentary when he is in a feud, he is, in my opinion, amazing. He has the wrestling knowledge, as well as the passion to do it. He is a great talker, can be serious, funny, ect, which are good qualities for an announcer.

It would have to be someone whose character doesn't overpower the actual commentating.

I love Flair just like everyone else but people love to hear Ric Flair because of how he acts. Could you listen to a Flair promo for 2 hours straight during other people's matches? I couldn't. But I wouldn't want to hear him say anything if he wasn;t delivering it like only The Nature Boy can.

Same goes for a guy like MVP. His sound is too "street" to go over for 2 hours. And while that works great for promos and guest commentating, it wouldn't work full time. He sounds like his gimmick which an overbearing, cocky, confident heel. And don;t get me wrong, I think he's great, one of my favorite parts of SmackDown is the MVP lounge.

Jericho could do it as his character is always an extension of himself, and he always sounds real. He isn't employing the current slang in his speech and he doesn't have a voice that will take over everything around him. And seeing as he is one of the most talented wrestlers of our time, in my opinion--you're more than welcome to disagree, he could give actual insight. And he's quick enough to keep the pace and keep things going.

Road Dogg has the voice and he's been around for a while, he'd probably be a good commentator for a second tier show, never a flagship show.

I even think Dean Malenko could be be a decent commentator for an hour program like ECW. He was always great to watch in the ring and he wasn't terrible on the stick.

Raven would be excellent and probably my top choice. Great voice, great mind for the business, always great promos and could add so much to a match. I've always been a bit of a mark for the guy, but that's because he's always been such an entertaining character and in ring performer. And I think the style of matches he's wrestled and his time in most major wrestling organizations would be an asset to any broadcast team. If it were my choice he'd be calling matches with Joey Styles on either Raw or SD!

Just my two cents on the matter.

im sure nobody else will agree with me but, i think that john morrison could do a good job. he would be like a jerry lawler kind of cuz he would always be happy to see the divas he would always side with the heels and would usually disagree with his partner.

I agree with most that think Shawn Michaels would make a good announcer. I remember hearing him call a few matches back in the mid 90's when he was hurt. He honestly was not that bad at it. He knows the ins and outs of a match, plus he is funny as well. He would be a great choice. It would honestly be great to hear his opinions and hear him just call a match. Like I said he wasnt that bad back in the mid 9-'s when he did it. I don't think much would change, in fact he would probably be better at it.

Jericho would be a good choice as well. He would have me in stitches. The guy would be gold behind the booth. For the same exact reasons as Shawn I could see Chris doing very well.

Definitely Jericho for the reasons everyone else has stated. He has the knowledge, the vocabulary, the attitude, all the right stuff to make an awesome commentator. He also has that look about him that makes you believe he could be successful at anything. For instance, when he came out on Raw in that suit this past Monday, I thought wow, this guy dresses to impress and for success, as he's done for, in my opinion, his entire career. But put him in a suit at the announce booth, in my mind it looks natural. I think he would be natural and comfortable with it too. I also highly doubt he would be anything like JBL or Tazz, either making jokes all the time-Tazz or overselling the horror of certain matches and moves-JBL. Jericho is, in my opinion, the best candidate for the job.

PDecicco said Raven, I could not agree more. I remember back when he was commentating Sunday Night Heat with, I believe the Coach. I thought he was gold. Granted, he wasn't given the chance he deserved in WWE, his commentating was fantastic. His reasons are similar, knowledge, vocab, and experience. He may not have the "look" of a commentator, but he gives some of the greatest promos because he knows how to tell a story. I also like the idea of Tommy Dreamer, I am not sure why, but I think that would be very interesting commentating. From his blogs, I can tell that he has a lot on his mind about wrestling and other stuff. I think commentating would be a great way for him to connect with fans even more. I could picture him commentating ECW as a rebel type, instead of telling and selling the WWE's version of ECW, he could rip into it and tell the story of the true ECW.

Another guy I have in mind is Stone Cold Steve Austin. Austin is still hugely popular and will always be #1 in my book, after all, he's the one who got me interested in the WWF, Taker's the one who keeps me interested. What he looks in look and perhaps, vocabulary, he certainly makes up for in knowledge, experience, and popularity. But I think Austin because of the way he talks. When he delivers promos or is doing interviews, it was very conversational, it didn't feel like a monologue, it always felt like dialogue. I think commentating, even though there are two guys, sometimes gets to be monologous and I think I made that word up. What I mean is that, for instance, King and Cole, I don't ever feel like they're talking with each other or with the fans. It's more like talking at the other person or talking at us. I think Austin would be very conversational with King, JR, or any of them. I think he would watch the action in the ring and instead of saying, "Randy stalking his prey, and there's the RKO, it's over," he would be more like "Looks like Randy is going for the RKO, King, and there it is, I've never been on the receiving end of that, but you have King, what's it feel like?" Austin could take commentating and make it personal, like two friends discussing a a wrestling match or whatever.

Do you really think Jericho or HBk are going to the commentator spot when they retire. They had to lay down a LOT of coin for Jericho to come back, and there is no way they will pay him that amount as just an announcer.

As for HBK, just cant see him in that role. Once he retires from the ring, you probably wont see much of him after that. A guy in his mid 40's with children growing up and plenty of money? I cant see him staying on the road as part of the WWE traveling circus.

JBl might return to announcing, but I really think he is going to slide into a heel GM role instead.

As far as Santino is concerned, he's funny, but do you really want to listen to his irritating jibberish for two hours?

I think the commentator slots are pretty much set. Adamle is going to be pushed down our throats, no matter how much we hate it. JR is probaly going to keep going for a few more years (they didnt do the draft swap if they didnt intend for it to stick for awhile). I miss the good heel commentators, but I grew up on Monsoon and Ventura. There will never be a better pair.

Matt Striker's commentary skills were utilized last night, and I don't think it's any surprise at all considering the fact that Foley could be on his way out. I thought Striker did an awesome job. He kind of stumbled a little at first, most likely due to nerves, but as the show went on, he did a great job, putting over both faces and heels, and including facts that the average fan wouldn't know about (That bum Ortiz used to play in the XFL, James Curtis was trained by Savio Vega), and he even added some humor to his commentary. He also had great chemistry with Grisham.

If Foley leaving winds up happening, I think Striker, who's also a great wrestler, would be better off in a commentary spot. He seemed very comfortable last night, and at least he wouldn't be jobbed out every week.

Way to call it, mrpaul. Striker was great last night. When I heard he was on commentary with Grisham last night, I decided to tune in to see how he was. I was blown away at how naturally good he is. Sure, he's always been great on the mic, but he seemed to just mesh as a commentator.

They should definetely keep him in the booth. He may not have had the greatest wrestling career, but his announcing one looks bright. Even though the Grish isn't too bad, I would love it if they brought back Styles. For some reason, it think Styles and Striker would be an awesome team. Insights on the old AND new ECW.

To be honest, while HBK does some good things on the mic, I don;t think that he has what it takes to be a good announcer. Don't get me wrong, I think that he would have lots of colorful comments and can swing both the heel and the face side with his comment. I just don't think that he has any kind of positive distinction. I mean look at the announcers of the past year.

1. The King- The King, being a former wrestler doesn't really show his wealth of knowledge. But he IS known for being a ranting pervert. And this works for him very well. He has a distinctive voice and plays off of the lead announcer like an old master. You don't see a clash, no matter who he is paired with, you just see cohesiveness. And this can be attributed greatly to his ability to work with others and make them better in the process. Hell, he damned near made Admale sound tolerable for a moment there last week.

2. Taz- Taz used to be very bad. And when I say bad, I mean very very bad. Michael Cole took him under his wing and shaped the scrappy little man into someone who can get the job done, with the right partner to play off of. His New York accent and wealth of knowledge add greatly to his credibility and make him sellable. I just wished that he could take the lead more during moments like he had with Adamle. But he will improve more over time.

3. JBL- JBL was a natural. He brought his tough Texas demeanor and distinctive voice to become the JR Ewing of the announce table. He talks tough, he walked tough. And he did his homework. You could tell by many of the comments that he made during his time as an announcer that he studied many so-so yet creative announcers like Stevie Ray and took only the good things they they did and incorporated it into his own persona at the color position. If anything ever happens where JBL can't wrestle anymore, he has solidified his mark on the announcing world and would be welcomed back with open arms.

4. Mick Foley- Mick is pretty good. He has his moments but it still a mild surprise. And I think that this is because he has been put alongside some very strong hall of fame level announcers. He just needs to get his flow down. But if recent rumors of not liking that McMahon is always trying to direct him from the back are true, then Foley needs a tougher skin. He's still green and could grow into another King. But his rumored level of tolerance seems to not be what it takes to get to that level. If he walks away, he won't be missed yet. But he should talk to The King first before giving it major consideration.

The thing is that Michaels has the knowledge to do the job. But his gruff and growly voice is only good if he yells. When he's taken the guest seat at the table, he has often gotten lost in the mix with the other announcers rather than stood out. He doesn't have an accent to set himself out and he doesn't have a booming voice. So announcing would not be the best thing for him. I actually would buy WWE bringing back BG James to announce before I could buy Shawn. Sorry, but it's true.

Now with that said, there IS one current star who I think would be one hell of an announcer. He has the voice. He has the distinctive sound. And he speak well, when he wants to. And that man is.... Jamie Noble. He has a strong southern accent and a voice that carries well but doesn't sound harsh or is prone to getting drown out by others. He has a level of intensity that also carries well in his voice. With his wealth of knowledge and ability to work well with others in his heel persona, he would fit in very well with a seasoned vet and would probably be able to be put with a rookie over time.

A good call could be William Regal, the man has a unique voice, has served as a GM and could represent (albeit poorly) Great Britain in some respects. What Regal lacks in wrestling ability, he makes up for on the mic, thats not to say he is a bad wrestler just that his style gets a little boring.

Regal, like Lawler and Tazz has the ability to go from serious one minute to down right hilarious the next. He is one of those who bounces off whoever he is working with, look at him and Tajiri, the two worked because of the way Regal played off of Taijiri and his mannerisms. He did the same thing with Eugene.

As of last week, As most of you know Matt Stryker(Spelling?) announced for ECW, and In My opinion, Matt may be the best on the Mic in the WWE I really think he should tone down the "Your Teacher" gimmick, It has its place but he sometimes over does it, But other than the sometimes over done gimmick he is very impressive as a commentator, Im hoping we get to see him more often talking like he should be, Instead of Wrestling, He wasnt so impressive in that departmant, ha

I'm thinking about what the general public is thinking of, and that's Matt Striker. He's obviously not going to make headlines inside the wrestling ring but he was a very neutral commentator on E.C.W. and I felt he did a great job.

This is why he's in the company to begin with, in my opinion. He's got tremendous mic skills, and what better way to show that, then by allowing him to talk throughout the entire broadcast.

It's a shame if Mick Foley truly does leave the company, (once again) but at the same time you have to keep moving forward. Mike Adamle wasn't as horrible as people claim he was, as he was playing a role. (Granted he sucked, none the less) I believe Taz and Jim Ross on Smackdown could do a great job, even better than Foley.

I think Striker's skills will be used a lot better on the mic, throughout the show and he can still have segments on E.C.W. when need-be.. and the other way of looking at it, as E.C.W. has gotten a whole new overhaul. Todd Grisham is showing a nice step forward, and if Striker joins him it could be something original, worth listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back