• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New Tag Team Division

Louie Lips

Occasional Pre-Show
Okay, so as most of the people reading this by now know, many of the tag teams were disbanded due to the WWE draft. The only teams that are really still together are the Colons, Cryme Tyme, and Priceless. Now, I would like to know peoples' opinions on whether this is WWE's attempt at starting the tag division from scratch and making some new teams, or if they are just going to give up on the tag division and have two teams fight over the title at a time. There is plenty of potential for new teams. The World's Greatest Tag Team can reunite, people like Bourne and Hurricane, or Ricky Ortiz and R-Truth, can form new tag teams, or perhaphs the WWE could smarten up and put powerhouses, or main eventers together, like Taker and Kane, or Edge and Jericho (just saying), and bring back the days where main eventers and mid-carders were able to hold other titles when they weren't involved in the main title hunt. Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

I actually think/ hope the WWE might try and put 1/2 new teams together and keep the unified belts appearing on all shows, therefore limiting the need to add a lot more teams. By the look of theings were gettin Hart Foundation 2.0 which is another positive step as DH Smith would be wasted as muscle for Legacy.
I hope they do form some new teams, but sensible ones, not just people thrown together i.e Punk & Kingston. They should definately keep the belts unified and defended over 3 shows, therefore giving the tag team division more of a showing and a unique aspect.

It's funny that the WWE would make a slight effort to re-spark the division with the one tag title, but then suddenly destroy the division. I understand trying to restart and remake the division, but some teams are made to be together. I agree that they need to start putting main event and upper mid carders together since it would add a lot to the division, but they also need fodder and challengers. Last year they gave this a shot and ended up losing half the wrestlers. Let's hope they don't make the same mistakes this year.

Okay, so as most of the people reading this by now know, many of the tag teams were disbanded due to the WWE draft. The only teams that are really still together are the Colons, Cryme Tyme, and Priceless.

The sad truth is, aside from Jesse and Festus and Miz and Morrison, those three were the only tag teams the WWE had pre-draft. That is, unless you count Hawkins and Ryder (hadn't done a thing at all since La Familia disbanded) Kendrick and Jackson (wasn't that much of a tag team) and Finlay and Hornswoggle (sheesh). The Tag Teams were pretty much the Colons, Miz & Morrison, Priceless, and every now and then Cryme Time.

Now, I would like to know peoples' opinions on whether this is WWE's attempt at starting the tag division from scratch and making some new teams,

Again, not much of a division to start from scratch regarding. And it has been attempted. Remember the team of Kofi and CM Punk? They have tried making teams out of scratch, and never did anything with them.

or if they are just going to give up on the tag division and have two teams fight over the title at a time.

Most likely.

There is plenty of potential for new teams.

Go On.........

The World's Greatest Tag Team can reunite,

It's been done before. The fact is, when TWGTT had Kurt Angle as a mouth piece, their lack luster promos were never exposed. Perhaps if they got a decent mouth piece, but I doubt it.

people like Bourne and Hurricane

Hmm.... You have my attention.....

or Ricky Ortiz and R-Truth, can form new tag teams,

And then you lost it.

or perhaphs the WWE could smarten up and put powerhouses, or main eventers together, like Taker and Kane, or Edge and Jericho (just saying), and bring back the days where main eventers and mid-carders were able to hold other titles when they weren't involved in the main title hunt.

I have a lot of problems with this. First, that's like creative basically admitting we have nothing for these guys, so we'll just throw the belts on them to give them air time. All that does is cheapen the characters. Second, it's basically settling for the character. It's more or less their admission that they aren't good enough to beat the world champion, so they'll go for the tag titles. Again, devalues the wrestler. Devalues the belts. Quite frankly, that's WCW 2000 logic. Agh, the pain....

Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

You are enthusiastic and you generally care. I just don't like the idea.

Okay, so as most of the people reading this by now know, many of the tag teams were disbanded due to the WWE draft. The only teams that are really still together are the Colons, Cryme Tyme, and Priceless. Now, I would like to know peoples' opinions on whether this is WWE's attempt at starting the tag division from scratch and making some new teams, or if they are just going to give up on the tag division and have two teams fight over the title at a time. There is plenty of potential for new teams. The World's Greatest Tag Team can reunite, people like Bourne and Hurricane, or Ricky Ortiz and R-Truth, can form new tag teams, or perhaphs the WWE could smarten up and put powerhouses, or main eventers together, like Taker and Kane, or Edge and Jericho (just saying), and bring back the days where main eventers and mid-carders were able to hold other titles when they weren't involved in the main title hunt.

I truly hope they do put some main eventers together as suggested, would make things a bit more exciting and can be easily used to help put mid-carders over with fans which then increases ratings with people wanting to see more of many different talents. Good ideas in this thread

Charlie haas just got drafted to smackdown and shelton benjamin just finshed his long united states title regin and droped it to mvp a month ago. I think wwe might be interesting in making the worlds greatest tag team once again . Also mike knox and kane can be a team since there both on smackdown.

Charlie haas just got drafted to smackdown and shelton benjamin just finshed his long united states title regin and droped it to mvp a month ago. I think wwe might be interesting in making the worlds greatest tag team once again .

Enough with this crazy talk about the WWE reuniting Benjamin & Haas.

Just because they're on the same show, doesn't mean they need to team up again. Let the past be in the past.

Would it make sense for the WWE to bring Bret Hart back together with Jim the Anvil Neidhart after Bret lost the Intercontinental Title?

All Haas would do is hold Shelton back.

The tag titles could be defended every PPV in a Lethal Lottery match: all WWE/ECW wrestlers not involved in a ppv match would have their names placed in a drum and the tag champs pull out 2 names at "random". This could make some interesting pairings: teaming heels with faces, or 2 heels or 2 faces teaming together for gold without having to come up with some kind of goofy story of why they're teaming together in the first place.

JohnTenta4HOF your reply made me laugh out loud. I think the WWE should put more focus on tag teams. Its a great style of match that people are a LITTLE hungry to see as the division has been lost and at one time was awesome (Hardys/E&C/Dudleys). They should essentially try pairing up wrestlers who are having lackluster careers and if they have some potential chemistry give them the green light and ask them for input as to what may help them succeed.

Any thoughts to my suggestion?

I am all for the WWE reuniting WGT but how about DH SMith and Tyson Kid as a team now that they are on the same show as the new Hart Foundation. We can also obviously have BOD as a team. Christian and Huricane Helms could make a team. Kendrick and the Miz could tag up. This is a stretch but what about Santino and Chavo, ok I'm pushing it but these are some teams that can be started up in the WWE. I don't think the tag division is dwindling, it might have just strengthened. Morrison is headed for IC gold now, and the Miz will maybe tag with someone else or go for US gold, and Hawkins and Ryder and Jesse and Festes weren't doing anything.

well i think they are giving u on the tag division in smackdown and moving it to raw, i think that on raw, they are disregarding the divas division and going to put fueds together for the three main titles (the us, tag, and wwe/heavyweight(whateverone stays on raw)) I think that they will establish a tag division on raw. They have the colonsand legacy established as tag teams, you have potential of brian kendrick, big show, regal, noble, goldust, festus, and snuka. All of these guys are established wrestles that are known but seem to be in the midcard without any solid dirrection since none of these guys will be us title competitors. The miz, kenedy(if he ever stay healthy), mvp, kofi, satino, hardy, chavo and posibly legacy will be the only in the us title picture. Then you got ecw whos usualy taped with raw recently. You have about 2 potential tems comming from ecw. I think that wwe positioned no real tag teams on smackdown. Shad looks like he will be released since they moved them away from the tag division, all other established teams will not reform. I hink that wwe is finnaly focusing on titles moving guys over to fueds instead of having unballanced rosters in certain cards

The tag titles could be defended every PPV in a Lethal Lottery match: all WWE/ECW wrestlers not involved in a ppv match would have their names placed in a drum and the tag champs pull out 2 names at "random". This could make some interesting pairings: teaming heels with faces, or 2 heels or 2 faces teaming together for gold without having to come up with some kind of goofy story of why they're teaming together in the first place.

This is actually a really good idea, but we all know "random" doesn't mean random in the wrestling world.

Creative would use this as a way to team up two guys who have been feuding, let them win the belts and hold them for a few weeks before turning one on the other. We all know that's been done a couple dozen times.

I would like to see the WWE put some morw focus on the tag division. The 80's and early 90's were a great time for tag teams. Most teams had a commonality. They had the same or similar look, the utilized double team moves and had a double team finisher. It wasnt rare for them to use top guys as tag partners and put the belts on them. It kept some gold on them and kept the tag titles relevant, if not gave them a bigger rub. So I would be all for them focusing on the tag titles more and putting top guys 2gether and have them in the tag title hunt. As long as they do it right. Macho and Hogan tagged and Macho changed the color of his tights to match Hogan. Just one example but a small thing like that makes it seem like a real team and not just thrown 2gether. Hopefully we see some new teams formed and a rub given to the division. Then some guys can use the tag titles as a springboard to a singles career.

With Triple H and Randy Orton being the main focus of Raw, and anyone thinking that after Backlash letting someone else get into the spotlight in his place is crazy. This leaves Batista after his one revenger match against Orton, and John Cena after he drops the World title having little or nothing to do. Creative which I think is the greatest name for a group that hasn't done anything truely creative in years will feel the need to push the two monsters, Priceless can beat the Colons for the tag titles, then we can get a repeat of last year where Batista and Cena form a team wins the titles and holds them until, uh huh trouble between the two heading for a show down, and they drop the titles back to Priceless, with the entire title run being used to further a Cena Batista story using the titles as props, once again devaluing and pushing the tag team division back into the background of Triple's friend and Vince McMahon's body builder obsession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back