• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New Superstars Winning Singles Titles in WWE - Pros and Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
Even though the subject of pushing new superstars to the main event scene too quickly has already been discussed, allowing them to capture the titles has not.

After last night's TLC pay-per-view, I think its safe to say that many of us were a little bit shocked at the outcome of the singles title matches, being that Drew McIntyre and Sheamus walked away with the gold over (arguably) the two most popular superstars in the present-day WWE. These men have been plowing through a small portion of the midcard roster and have been given ample time on the microphone to tell the world to watch out for them. While many people believe these men aren't experienced enough to grab these rass rings at this point in their careers, they are either uninformed or they forget that these men are not brand new prospects for the WWE.

-Sheamus has been a member of WWE's feeder program (Florida Championship Wrestling) since 2007. He was one of the longest-waiting members of FCW to be pushed to the main television roster, along with Eric Escobar.

-Drew McIntyre actually started on the main roster for Smackdown back in 2007. He was recently repackaged (as we all know) as being "The Chosen One" by Vince McMahon.

The way I look at it, there are plenty of pros and cons to these men walking into the WWE with their current gimmick and winning major singles titles.

PROS
-New superstars are viewed as threats to the top contenders
-No matter how minor, it brings another level of unpredictability to the match outcomes
-By gaining (somewhat) clean victories over the likes of the WWE's top two babyfaces, the new members of the roster earn instant notoriety as a threat to any contenders they face
-It makes people think twice about missing ECW, since the show is based around the "New Superstar Initiative"

CONS
-The new members of the roster aren't believable to be champions and will lose the audience's interest
-These men are now under the microsope of scrutiny by the WWE Universe
-This is extremely risky to have a brand new face become the focal point of a billion dollar wrestling promotion

I'm sure there are many other factors to discuss, but that's where the rest of you come in. What are everyone's feelings towards new generation superstars winning titles as quickly and in the same fashion as Sheamus and Drew McIntyre?

The only cons I can see of new superstars winning titles is that internet geeks bitch about it. They talk like Sheamus actually only started wrestling when he made his debut for WWE, then they'll say that Morrison or Swagger need world titles. Those are two wrestler who've probably been doing it for a shorter period of time than Sheamus.

Pros:

Intresting
Fresh
Unpredictable
More believable then elevating a mid carder.

Cons:

They might fail, but the same can be said for almost anybody.

Honestly, I can't really think of any. People are under the mistaken impression that titles are important. I'd have only new champions in 2010 in the hope that new stars are made. It's not like there aren't three brand and people like Undertaker, HHH, Cena, HBK etc who can pick up the slack wile there's an inexperienced champion further down the card.

I personally am rather shocked at how WWE seems to have taken it's usual 'monster heel' formula and doubled the speed at which it progresses just about every year.

Take for example guys like Umaga and Khali. When they first came along they beat on a couple of veterans, and then continued to decimate established guys, then beat some main eventers and then had ME matches. Umaga had his first WWE title shot after roughly 9 months, and Khali actually won the World title in about the same time frame. Both were back in the mid to upper mid card within months of those accomplishments.

A year or so later, we have Vladimir Kozlov. Comes to SD!, beats nothing but jobbers for weeks, then beats a few guys that had been around for a while in the mid-card. Gets a title shot after about 6 months max, beats some more mid-carders, gets in the EC match this year, and then fades away into obscurity.

This year, we get Sheamus and Drew McIntyre. Again, like the previous 3 guys, they turn up. Beat on no-names and jobbers for a while, and within 2 months they both have gold. These two have surpassed the other 'monster heels' by leaps and bounds in less 1/3 of the time frame. So does this mean they'll be jobbing on ECW or hosting KissCams by the time NOC comes around next year?

On to the title changes themselves. McIntyre being the IC champ is fair enough. As much as people may like Morrisson, you must admit that his reign was nothing special. There was very little mic time ever and it's not like he had a variety of opponents and matches to work with, so i feel optimistic about seeing Drew work with the other younger AND established guys promininently.

However, Sheamus the new comer vs the Raw ME scene? No thanks. I'd rather watch a big, bad ass brawler work decent matches with the high flying guys. I'd want to see Sheamus have a few decent length matches with someone like Kofi or Evan Bourne, where he can show off his power, but also his durability and his counter capabilities. Otherwise it'll just be him beating on the old guys, who then flurry back with their usual routines and then whoever gets the pinfall at the end of it all, leaves the champ, and i feel that's what the main problem has been with Raw's title picture this past year.

I personally enjoyed last night's TLC match. I feel Sheamus put on a decent showing, and i can see why HHH and HBK put so much faith in his abilities. I'm not as sold on McIntyre, but i'm interested to see if his IC reign is more eventful than JoMo's. But at this rate, how long is it before guys start debuting mid-january and winning the Rumble to become Champ at Mania? Slow down WWE, just a little. You're doing well with Kofi right now, but went a little overboard with these two. While it's good, it's a little too much too fast imo, but kudos to them for trying to freshen things up what with this TNA bullshit looming in the near future.

It a farce to be perfectly honest. Sheamus has had no noteable Raw matches apart from smashing Jamie Noble yet he is the new champion. I cant see a lengthy angle with Sheamus as champion but i will predict a big title match for the 4th January show. Maybe Sheamus defending in a fourway against Cena, Orton and Kofi with the title most probly to change hands as the show needs to be big to compete with TNA on the 4th.

However i can see Drew holding on to the IC belt for some time. WWE need to make it a good angle and make him hold onto it untill feb but i cant see a fued with morrison for that long as they seem to be stuck on ideas between the two.

I hope Kingston can become champ within the next year. Either by a title fued or winning money in the bank but Sheamus has to drop the belt soon.

They will probly do what they did with Big Show when he was champ in 99-2000. Make him hold it untill after new year and drop it on Raw to a big name.

DROP THE PG RATING :banghead:

This progression is too rapid for Sheamus. He may impress HHH and Vince, but he simply hasnt earned a WWE title, IMO. Wrestling in FcW is slightly better than having 50 ppl watch a group of friends wrestle on a trampoline. Sheamus and Drew sucked in FcW, not stats wise, but I have seen alot of their matches and they were slow, boring, and ended with a simple move. Sheamus has been in FcW since 2007, thats great, but what about guys like Matt Hardy and Shelton Benjamin that have worked very hard for ten years and rarely get a title shot, let alone a reign 4 months into their career. This is bad writing. What the hell are they gonna do with Sheamus now? Right now he is packaged like Goldberg with 120 less wins. In no way shape or form can you have a guy come in and take out your main eventers. It makes the rookie look too good, and the vet look terrible. Sheamus has beat up Cena for 3 weeks and now he took his title. Cena has never looked more weak then he does right now. Its ok to push the new guys, but you need a more credible build up, like Morrison, or even Miz is working his way up gradually. I do feel like Cena is gonna win the title back soon, but that makes Sheamus winning it meaningless if that happens. This is a mockery of Ric Flairs 16 title reigns. It took Flair 40yrs to do that, as it stands now, HHH has 13, Orton 5, Cena 6. All of these men have 10yrs left to wrestle. Who wants to see somebody hold the belt 22 times, not me! I liked when Hogan had the WWE title 5 times and Bret Hart 4 times, those were the numbers to beat in 1996. People can barely keep track of how many times these new superstars have held the belt. Anyhow, at this rate Sheamus is due to win 3 WWE titles a year. I honestly believe that DX is joking around to take HHH out of the main event spot and let someone else have a chance. Sheamus is NOT the answer, Morrison has been waiting for years and has earned this oppurtunity! Jack Swagger should have been pushed before Sheamus. It will make me a little sick seeing Sheamus with the belt tonight.

I plain and simply, don't get McIntyre and I've been watching him for years in FCW. He's a good wrestler, good on the mic, and has a good physique, but somehow he just bores me to death. There's a missing art form somewhere in there that guys like Ziggler and Morrison have, that he just lacks, as if he's just going through the motions in the ring. In fact the more and more I think about it, he reminds me exactly of HHH.

I'm very frustrated that guys like Ziggler get five or six title shots and come up short every time and McIntyre and Sheamus just walk into gold. I know Sheamus and McIntyre have both been around a decent enough time before WWE and I understand what they are trying to do with TNA coming up real soon, but I think WWE has once again mistakenly followed that Russo-ian notion that any surprise is a good surprise.

Sheamus hasn't been able to draw heat, plain and simple, and any heat he drew winning the title was probably just frustrated fans wondering WTF is going on. Cena doesn't need the title, that is a huge given, but really, the one guy to win the Raw title who isn't HHH, Orton, or Cena is Sheamus? A guy who was just FCW champ a year ago and who debuted on ECW in June? That's bullshit. It's especially noteworthy considering Benjamin and Christian curtain-jerked for a third-rate title on the same PPV.

I think Sheamus is a really talented wrestler and I definitely think he has a better chance of staying relevant in the main event scene (w/ or w/o a belt) than other "Monsters" like Khali, Umaga, and Koslov because of his talent on the mic and in the ring, but I don't think that's much justification for skipping through developing his character and showing the WWE fans more of what he's like in the ring as all he's done since last night's match was pound on jobbers, which frankly, anybody his size can do (you don't see Mark Henry and Mike Knox in the title scenes).

McIntyre I'm a little more iffy on, especially with the IC title. I'm honestly mostly afraid that he's just going to be another cookie cutter bad guy wrestler and one day he'll be hogging up the main event scene along with all of the other guys who've frustrated and bored the Christ out of me for the past decade, namely HHH. The IC title always has really great feuds between gradual up-and-comers who put on outstanding matches time and time again. In a lot of ways, I think the list of IC title holders is a much more prestigious list than the world heavyweight lists. But every once in a while, wwe treas it like just another trinket to boost their next big turd with. McIntyre has plenty of time to prove me wrong, but I've seen nothing special out of him for the past couple of years I've been watching him and I can't imagine any difference in the years to come. Of course, this my opinion, and if HHH has a fanbase, obviously some people somewhere disagree with me.

I want to start off by saying that I've only recently gotten into wrestling, so I know I don't know all the history/ins and outs of what's going on, but I feel that I am at least a voice of a casual fan. I have not been a fan of cena since I started watching WWE but this last ppv I was forced to root for him because I don't find Sheamus to be that interesting of a character. I believe there were soooo many other great talented stars they coulda pushed instead of him. I don't know about his wrestling in the FCW or even so much in ECW, but what i've seen of him on Raw has not convinced me that he is star worthy. He beat up Jamie noble and random nobodies. Wow. I am not impressed. I have not seen anything in character development or ring presence that would convince me that he is a good match for Cena. I typically find myself rooting for heels, but moreso because of their skills and mic talent. Sheamus, on the other hand, I can't say what there would be to like about him. To me he seems to always be saying the same crap and I just see him completely dominating. It doesn't really show me anything of his skills.... I am bored.

Now moving on to McIntyre. I can respect this push a little more. He has been on the smackdown roster a little longer than Sheamus and they didn't push him straight for the heavyweight. However, I feel that this push was also premature. There are quite a few stars that deserve the IC belt more than him. Ziggler for one. I think he is corny, but I think he deserves another shot for the title. Even CM Punk mighta been a good choice because they don't seem to have him pursuing the Heavyweight anymore. I am not saying that McIntyre never deserved a chance, but I think they shoulda pushed him a little longer.

This all being said....I know neither of these guys REALLY got these big pushes because they are HHH butt buddies....right??? I know that couldn't be the reason....

I have been watcing Seamus and McIntyre in FCW and they are realy great they can put a good match.I'm glad that they are new champions.One month ago everyone was complaining that "wwe must put a fresh blood in main event","Randy Orton-Cena boring""Triple H is boring"and when they got Sheamus they were bitching he is not ready MVP deserves title bla bla bla.Well you know what he is 9 years profesional wrestler and yeah he deserves championship.Now for McIntyre he is not boring he is very interesting and I believe that he is realy future world champion he began to training wresting iwhen he was 15 and he is just 24 years old so big future is ahead of him.

Its real simple. The pros are that all you internet tools that keep crying for something new, now have it. The cons, in 3 or 4 years youll all start saying the same shit about morrison and kofi and legacy, that you currently say about cena and hhh and everyone else that has been in the main event scene for a while. If you push a guy to main event status when hes 25 or 26, how tired of him do you think youll be by the time they are 35 or 36. Everyone wants shit to happen so quickly these days with no build. Thats why wrestling kind of sucks right now. Feuds last a month at best, title reigns weeks sometimes. Michaels, brett hart, booker t, stone cold, even hulk fuking hogan were all wrestling for many years before they were given their shot with the strap.

If you have 25 main eventers and 2 legit world belts, wtf are you gonna do with the 21 guys that arent in a feud for the belt. Not everyone has to be champion just to fight in the main event. Hogan had no problem finding opponets and he was champ for 4 fuking years. Better storylines and longer more meaningfull feuds would make the product much better. Not putting the belt on every single young guy just because he can wrestle well. Theres a pecking order for a reason and shoving people in the main event just because internet clowns are wining about it, isnt gonna make wrestling better.

The only Con I can think of that doesn't seem to have been noticed here is that it weakens the overall chase for the title. Really that's about it for me. If a superstar comes in, beats up some jobbers, and beats up your champion, it tends to make all of the challengers around him look weak, and all of the other people who have lost to Cena over the past couple months now just got majorly watered down. Now, Edge, Randy Orton, Big Show, and whoever else has beaten him just don't look as credible as they used to, considering these men struggled for months, some years, to beat Cena. And here comes this one guy, who admittedly may be very good, and beats him. Where does that leave the mid card who has been challenging Cena? What to make of Randy Orton, who threw everything at Cena, and still couldn't dethrone him. What of Chris Jericho, who still has yet to get a clean win over the guy. It's as though you spent months building up one guy to be great, and all the work put him into him just goes out the front door.

I also think this kind of thing can actually polarize a locker room. Let's face it; unless you're a jobber, you pretty much have to believe you deserve to win the Title. Everyone wants to run with the big belt, and everyone wants to be "the guy". And suddenly, this guy walks, and takes what you assume to be your spot, without having paid any dues? If I'm a wrestler, I'm pretty upset at that notion. I'm pretty pissed if I've busted my ass for Vince for a while, and haven't been rewarded with a run. And this guy takes what could have been my spot? It's cutthroat, but I promise you it's the truth. Some upper mid carder is feeling a bit of resentment in the Locker Room today, I guarantee you.

Having said that, I think the way it was done was terrific. I think playing it off as a flukely victory gives the WWE leeway should Sheamus not pan out with this run at the belt. And it was pretty unpredictable. So I guess that had it going for it. Overall, it's an experiment, and it's really not too much to lose. And what happens if you hit the Jackpot? Who knows what could happen with this run.

If a superstar comes in, beats up some jobbers, and beats up your champion, it tends to make all of the challengers around him look weak, and all of the other people who have lost to Cena over the past couple months now just got majorly watered down. Now, Edge, Randy Orton, Big Show, and whoever else has beaten him just don't look as credible as they used to, considering these men struggled for months, some years, to beat Cena.

Hmmm... interesting point, Tenta. But I believe you give the newcomer WAY too much credit.

It goes back to the age old argument... everyone seems to think that in a match a winner always gets pushed and a loser always gets buried. You should know as well as I do that wrestling is not as black and white as you make it out to be. Many men have kept their strength in losses such as Austin vs. Bret at WM13 and Yokozuna vs. Bret at Wrestlemania 9.

You really believe that Sheamus winning a title by (arguably) shoving Cena through a table, almost accidentally, is going to discredit men like Randy Orton, the Big Show, and Edge? I think this was the reason why they made the match a tables match. It would allow Sheamus to win without really beating Cena, per se. Its an example of very smart booking to get a newcomer over without making the champ look weak. Cena looks a bit stupid, maybe... but not weak. Cena comes out of this looking as if he made a minor mistake and underestimated Sheamus. But other wrestlers won't come out looking any differently. If anything, this will spark Orton's interest in another title shot and allow the storyline to have the opportunity of going in a billion different directions.

Hmmm... interesting point, Tenta. But I believe you give the newcomer WAY too much credit.

It goes back to the age old argument... everyone seems to think that in a match a winner always gets pushed and a loser always gets buried. You should know as well as I do that wrestling is not as black and white as you make it out to be. Many men have kept their strength in losses such as Austin vs. Bret at WM13 and Yokozuna vs. Bret at Wrestlemania 9.

You really believe that Sheamus winning a title by (arguably) shoving Cena through a table, almost accidentally, is going to discredit men like Randy Orton, the Big Show, and Edge? I think this was the reason why they made the match a tables match. It would allow Sheamus to win without really beating Cena, per se. Its an example of very smart booking to get a newcomer over without making the champ look weak. Cena looks a bit stupid, maybe... but not weak. Cena comes out of this looking as if he made a minor mistake and underestimated Sheamus. But other wrestlers won't come out looking any differently. If anything, this will spark Orton's interest in another title shot and allow the storyline to have the opportunity of going in a billion different directions.

Oh don't get me wrong, in this instance I agree with you. I think the spot was well performed, and it led for WWE to have plenty of ambiguity on the matter, and either put it as luck, or skill if he winds up going over. Don't get me wrong, on this turn, I absolutely agree with you. However, if Sheamus had pinned Cena, everyone backstage will be going apeshit nuts. Granted, that's not how it worked this time around, but simply the universal concept of having New Superstars winning belts is what I mean. Consider if McIntyre were to go over, say, Batista, or the Undertaker. That'd be more or less whn shit hits the fan for us all. Hell, that even kind of buried Dolph Ziggler, in my eyes. And anyone else John has been working with, I'm not too entirely sure. Granted, we care less, because Ziggler isn't that huge a name. But that's the kind of thing that makes you wonder why Dolph had so much trouble, when this relative newcomer steps up, and takes the challenge

Well since I had posted a similar topic in a different forum that is getting no attention at all, I will post my opinion here instead:

Good evening WZ posters. I got the idea for this thread from reading a number of posts in the Sheamus thread tonight that got me to thinking that in my opinion, the role of the World Champion is not up to what its intended purpose should be. Now granted this is just my opinion, and I know that if it meant more than jack shit, I wouldnt be sitting here bored writing a note while trying to take my mind off of final exam studying, but I still feel its a valid one.

Some of the posters I have seen tonight seem to share a sentiment whether they liked the title change tonight or they hated it that at the very least, it is going to be an experiment. Sheamus is going to have to prove himself to the fans and really work his ass off to BEGIN to build on his crowd reaction. Now my opinion is that yes, in real sports upsets happen all the time and in every form of fighting a championship can change at any moment. However they have the advantage of being a real sport that will always garner more respect and fan reaction than pro wrestling does.

Pro wrestling companies do not have the respect of the general public and therefore have to suspend disbelief and go with their best guys on top at all times so they they can insure the best product is being given to their customers at all times. They need to always sell their product with familiar faces so that they keep a connection to their fanbase. Upsets can and should happen obviously but I feel that before a new wrestler is crowned champion, they should have at least built a reputation of gathering and maintaining a fanbase whether it be for or against the wrestler. Some wrestlers take decades to establish this bond, some do it in a matter of years or in rare cases months, but this bond should be established before moving them into the position of the face of the company.

The champion of the company should be someone you can rely on to market your product more than a prop to get someone over, which is what I feel has been happening more and more in the past 2 or 3 years. Back in the old days you didnt hold any gold unless you deserved it. You were over and you could draw so you became champion. Now it take some guys 2 or 3 title reigns before they are established as a solid draw. In the case of CM Punk, I still dont believe he could carry the company on his shoulders and he has had 3!!

When you put a wrestler like Sheamus on top, you take a huge risk business wise because they simply will not generate money. The only way he will sell a single PPV buy is if his opponent is an established star. Now people will argue that if he beats a star then it will establish him more. This is true but it should be done without the belt. Instead of beating Cena for the belt he could perhaps destroy Mark Henry, then maybe Shawn Michaels, then possibly even Cena when the belt was with someone else and attempt to build a fanbase that way.

Now of course the biggest complaint is that the established stars are boring to watch and I think people dont just want new wrestlers in the main event, they want new stars in the main event, someone thats fresh but that they can actually get behind. This is by far where WWE in particular is lacking in. They have really lost their creative edge and having Sheamus win tonight really shows that.

I had a few other points to bring across but I have kind of lost my train of though at this point so I want to hear other posters opinions on the subject and by the time I read them hopefully ill have remembered otherthings I was going to say!

Again I will reiterate that the only way a new superstar can be considered a good choice to hold a championship is if he has established a fanbase and reaction. If this has not been done, as is the case with Sheamus, then it is not a great idea to put the title on them. Dagger Dias made a good point as well the people just want to see change. I agree but they change they want is new characters that they care about, love or hate. The only pro is that even though I feel it should never be used in such a way, the championship belt is probably the ultimate prop to help push a wrestler if done correctly.

What about this for a con, you put all this time, money and effort into someone and then they leave you. John Cena would never have been as huge, if Brock Lesnar didn't leave the WWE and take all that credibility. The problem with establishing new stars is that you do not know where their loyalty lies. No one is solely loyal to the WWE, but testing that loyalty before you make them the new big thing is a preferred method. I just hope Sheamus turns out and isn't someone who will soon bring credibility to the TNA title.

This is why I hate that they got rid of King of The Ring PPV. And I mean the real thing, not the week to week semi final have it while Raw is on the air fiasco. This one PPV gave you a system for pushing the next guy. It gave you a starting point to start padding the resume. You win this, you give your 'coming out' promo and make it one for the ages. i.e. Austin 3:16

This gave you a way to push a guy without rushing them into a Royal Rumble win and then asking them to put on a perfect show at Wrestlemania.

I like pushing young talent but I simply lose my lunch when it is done in a weak way. I agree with Nick's Review in that, if you are going to put Shaemus over, don't give this fluke questionable ending. Cena is at that stage where the Undertaker was back in the late 90's/early 2000 where it became ok for him to lose in the middle of the ring by pinfall.

The only real con I see personally is that there's always the possibility that they might fail. However, that's a risk that any company is going to take when they're pushing new talent and doing things with them that are unexpected.

The WWE is trying something new with Sheamus and McIntyre that we haven't seen from the company in a while. Like a lot of people, I still do have some doubts but I'm also getting a kick out of things. Like many, I've read what seem to be constant complaints about how the Raw main event situation is getting stale, how people want to see someone new in there and get a shot at the title, etc. Well, here is it. Sheamus may not have been the first choice of a good number of people, but maybe that's a good thing in and of itself as well.

I didn't expect Sheamus or McIntyre to walk away with titles last night. I thought they'd both put up a really strong showing, but ultimatelyw ouldn't walk out with the straps. I do think that both looked strong last night and they looked good in their matches. The jury is probably still out on some things, but I've got to give the WWE props for its unpredictability as of late and for their willingness to take a chance with these two.

I think Tent said it all. If I was a wrestler I would be pissed right now. A much as I think that Sheamus holding the title is a refreshing concept it kind of pisses me of to think of how long it takes to become champion but some just get it because of the politics of the buisness.Look at Jeff hardy, the guy was mega over with the fans and it still took him forever to become champ, and than he dropped the belt a month later in every case.You think people would have learned something from CM Punk. Wrestlers can't be given the title without being ready.Just watch, sheamus will be nothing but a punch line by December of 2010.

What about this for a con, you put all this time, money and effort into someone and then they leave you. John Cena would never have been as huge, if Brock Lesnar didn't leave the WWE and take all that credibility. The problem with establishing new stars is that you do not know where their loyalty lies. No one is solely loyal to the WWE, but testing that loyalty before you make them the new big thing is a preferred method. I just hope Sheamus turns out and isn't someone who will soon bring credibility to the TNA title.

I agree with this didn't Lesner want to try new things because he had essentially done everything in WWE in a three year period and there was nothing else really for him to do??? It might possibly happen with new talent that gets pushed in this way.

I have been watcing Seamus and McIntyre in FCW and they are realy great they can put a good match.

I am not going to dispute that both of these guys are good in the ring, however, I have yet to see anything from Sheamus (on Raw) to let me know of that. McIntyre has had more of an opportunity imo to show his stuff and for that I am more ok with him winning the belt. I think quite a bit of the fans are like myself (casual fans) and don't watch FCW and I personally don't watch ECW. I saw 1 match with sheamus on ECW with Golddust and I personally could have cared less. All of the matches with him on Raw have been lame in my opinion. If he is a good wrestler, I would love to see that. I think I would be more impressed with him winning if I actually had gotten to see him wrestle a few more low/midcarders prior to the ppv.

I would have loved to see a change between hhh, cena and orton, but i'd take the old rather than have them push some dude prematurely. Just my opinion, though.

The fact that we are all talking about this shows that the WWE hit the nail on the head with this idea, its working because its developing interest, was it a fluke or not?

And the fact that Shemus has defeated Cena has opened the door for other younger talent to take the opportunity and get their shots, If it was me on the roster i would pray that this situation was a sucess, because i wouldnt want to be held down by the established talent who are past their prime, having the same old guys get the belt because the WWE has no faith in anyone else.

I would pray that with this brings a renewed faith in the younger generation.

Just think of this now that Morrisson is away from the IC belt it actually sets him on course for the World title, look at guys like Kofi, dont you think he can get his shot at Shemus?, why not have a huge feud stemming for the two to have their title match, and if this all goes pair shaped just as jake and Tenta said, the wwe can always go back to the same old guys playing pass the strap.

the one thing i think people need to realise no matter who it is the wwe are actually giving the ball to younger talent, so dont you think we should give them our support? because if we dont they will just bring us more boring cena matches.

The pros are shock value. The cons are not being able to replicate the shock. The thing is with surprises and newer stars winning belts, the shock of the win makes it a great moment. But when the smoke clears, many reconsider their thoughts and maybe think that it's too soon. I think there is a sign here. It's simply the WWE saying they can push younger talent and make them stars as good if not better than TNA.

Think about it. TNA mainstay AJ Styles and Kurt Angle have held the TNA Heavyweight Titles. This year, CM Punk and Sheamus have all been first time champions. McIntyre was a first time IC champion. Miz is a first time US champion. TNA's not really done that lately. The WWE has.

There's a benefit right there. When you make first time champions, you're making future stars. But you're also putting the belts in the hands of not-so-sure hands. It's gambling on a draw in poker. It may come out great for you, or you may lose everything. The WWE doesn't have much to lose by doing this, because they can just drop the WWE belt off of someone and put it back on a sure hand in no time. And not much damage is done.

It's a win win to give the newer stars the chance to go full bore and try to take the ball and run with it.

I think its a good thing, as long as you don't do it all the time. The pros are that you inject a freshness into the title picture, and you give a huge shot in the arm for a new wrestler struggling to get over. The trouble is is that the audience will get desensitised to it being a big deal if you do it all the time.

Titles are props that help people advance, and help sell tickets, they aren't lifetime acheivement awards. Having the IC title on Drew McIntyre doesn't affect anything about SmackDown at all except the perception of Drew McIntyre.

As for making the current roster look weak, it doesn't have to. It can be a case of them winning "by surprise" because the champion didn't have them well scouted. The problem isn't really unique to new stars anyway. If somebody like CM Punk had easily won the IC title it would have sill made Ziggler look like a chump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back