• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New RAW Announcer Debuts!?

The Best At What I Do

and that's posting
I couldn't find any threads on this and I assume it's because it took place on Superstars... Why don't you people watch Superstars? It has William Regal. And it usually features the break-up of tag teams. 2 just last night alone.

Anyways, during the RAW brand match-ups there was a new announcer taking the place of Michael Cole (most likely to save us from the over-saturation of Cole we already have to deal with). Scott Stanford debuted next to Jerry Lawler and added his wealth of wrestling knowledge to ringside. While I found him quite monotone, I still appreciate what he added to the usual lackluster commentary on RAW.

So what do you guys think about Scott "up and over" Stanford?

Do you think he would make a good replacement for Michael "fuck the IWC" Cole?

Or should he replace Jerry "I have nothing to add to this conversation nowadays" Lawler since Cole has found a little personality with his heel turn?

I liked the guy and thought he seemed to be much more grounded with an overall more solid and traditional sense about him. For instance, several times last night he actually used the term wrestling rather than sports entertainment. During William Regal's match, I like that he offered little tidbits about William Regal's career and past, mentioning his toughness and that he's been involved in wrestling since the age of 15. Little things like that remind me a lot of JR and Gordon Solie and you just don't see it that often in wrestling nowadays.

I like the character Michael Cole has developed over the course of the past several months, but I thought Stanford meshed well with Lawler. For instance, they weren't trading corny jokes with one another throughout the matches. They focused their attention on the match itself, the participants invovled and what was going on in the match.

I enjoyed listening to a new voice in Scott Stanford on Superstars and thought he worked quite well with Jerry Lawler. As the previous poster said, I like when announcers talk about the talent's backgrounds. He has been hosting Bottom Line for the past few months and enjoyed his work on that show too. The more fresh WWE can keep Michael Cole's new character going the better IMO.

I've done work with Scott Stanford in the past with NBC. The guys is a gentleman at its finest, and he has a GREAT voice. He already does WWE 24/7, would love to see him get a nice gig.

I thought he did a good job. I look forward to seeing him get better...

You never know what could happen. If he impresses people, he could make a move on a couple people's jobs in WWE. Some people have gotten stale (Lawler) and some people just aren't liked (Cole).

He did a fairly good job. I don't think he'll be taking over on either of the big two shows just quite yet, he'll need a test run, but I was impressed. He was steady, got everything he needed out, and did the job. He didn't yell too much, but he had personality. He was just... calm. It's a nice contrast to Michael Cole who shits his pants for most of Raw and NXT. He'll have a future in the WWE. I wouldn't be surprised to SOMEDAY, down the road, see him announcing RAW or Smackdown.

He was great as an announcer because he actually announced and didn't really bicker with his broadcast partner, in this case Lawler. He also kept the matches interesting by providing facts and focusing on the match, which seems rare for announcers these days.

I feel like this guy may have a good future because he helps bring an old school feel and actual commentary towards announcing.

I see Scott Stanford many nights while watching the 11:00 news. He does the sports section sometimes. He works for NBC 4 NY. Personally, I think he's a great guy for the job. While I didnt see Superstars, he is always on the Pre-PPV Shows. He certainly seems to be a knowledgeable guy when it comes to wrestling history. He seems like a genuine fan. So honestly, if he is a permanent on Superstars, good for him, less Cole. But if he isnt, he has a great job working for NBC 4 NY.

It could be possible that he would be included in a three man commentary team on Raw. Something tells me Cole isn't going anywhere and likely to do both shows, so the balance could be restored by including a third man to Raw. He seems different and may be that missing link, you have the heel Cole, the face King and the guy who just calls the match for what it is.

Stanford did pretty well on Superstars. He's a nice breath of fresh air after hearing Cole's nonsense. If he really wants to do this, he can be a nice addition to the team. If he adds a little bit of emotion to his laid back approach of calling a match, more fans could actually enjoy the commentary on raw instead of pressing the mute button. My brother and I were watching it and since it was a Raw match we COMPLETELY ignored his introduction, but when we paid attention we where like "Who the hell is on commentary? He's pretty damn good!"

I see Scott Stanford many nights while watching the 11:00 news. He does the sports section sometimes. He works for NBC 4 NY. Personally, I think he's a great guy for the job. While I didnt see Superstars, he is always on the Pre-PPV Shows. He certainly seems to be a knowledgeable guy when it comes to wrestling history. He seems like a genuine fan. So honestly, if he is a permanent on Superstars, good for him, less Cole. But if he isnt, he has a great job working for NBC 4 NY.

This explains it. His delivery is very much like that of a news anchor and adds a feeling of legitimacy to whatever he is calling. He could be the saving grace of RAW commentary right now since having the play-by-play man also being a heel colour commentator is just plain stupid in my opinion. It hasn't been working at all because Cole is just bashing faces while King repeats "what's gotten into you Cole?" and no one is bothering to pay attention to what is taking place in the ring. I even like the idea presented of him being a third man at the table hopefully as a foil to Cole's diarrhea of the mouth.

No thoughts either way atm since he's only just started as an announcer and i don't really watch superstars anyway, it's a show just to fill in b4 Smackdown featuring matches that they didn't have time to put on smackdown or Raw not what they said it would be.

Anyone from any show could face each other

Anyway Scott has been doing the Free For Alls b4 each PPV for a while and he's enthusiastic but hardly charismatic.

I like the idea of him beaing a third leg on raw. but i doubt he is replacing anyone.

Maybe he can help Lawler get some personality back.. the guy is so dull on the mic.

and maybe this new announcer can help cole to stop riding miz so hard.

Well it was a different fresh voice to listen to, a nice change from Michael " I Have To Be On Every Show" Cole. He stuck to the matches and gave a nice insight into some of the wrestlers and actually gave us informative and direct facts about each superstar and what they were doing. He didn't give us nonsense bickering and annoying voice (im looking at you cole). Scott Stanford has a bright future.

I was actually completely shocked by his commentary skills but then again, I was just excited that Cole wasn't there. Scott Stanford & King meshed perfectly together, their commentary about the match was great and they did have some occasional jokes (which actually made sense for once!) that improved the overall mood.

I hope that it wasn't a one-time thing because he would be a great addition to the Monday night RAW team then Michael Cole could get sent to Smackdown since no one watches that show. It was so nice having a commentator that wasn't complaining the entire time and actually know what was happening wrestling-wise.

He's been giving commercials for WWE in Canada for quite some time. Canada doesn't get Superstars, so that explains why I don't watch it. :)

He may just be a sub. But, if WWE liked his commentary, he can take Lawler's place. Since Cole actually has some sort of character.

I was very, very pleasantly surprised when I saw Scott on Superstars next to King, he's been doing stuff on WWE 24/7 / Classics on Demand / Whatever they're calling it these days for awhile now and I've enjoyed his work, though he did make an absolutely obscene amount of random sports references on 24/7 that had me scratching my head more than once. I really dig the guy though, he's got a great traditional commentator's voice that shows his background as a news anchor, and frankly I think if given a chance and if he works at it, this dude could seriously be the next great commentator in wrestling. Probably a bit early for me to be saying that, but that's how much I've enjoyed watching the guy call matches.

From what I understand, he's a sports broadcaster so he's obviously got experience with it. This gives him an added edge. However, this further proves to me that Cole IS in fact the GM or he will become the mascot of The Miz much like Don West was for Amazing Red.

At least it's not Cole. Good we don't have to hear Cole almost all week. Back to main of topic. Mhm. To soon to tell.He did a fine job.

At least it's not Cole. Good we don't have to hear Cole almost all week. Back to main of topic. Mhm. To soon to tell.He did a fine job.

As long as Michael Cole's not calling matches, I'm 100 percent on board with this guy. Cole's become stagnant and Lawler's PG commentary's become boring and mundane as well. If Lawler starts his heel persona back, and the new guy simply banters back and forth with him with factual, non-biased commentary, then this could be entertaining and Cole may find himself back on Smackdown.

I wish he was back on Smackdown. I hate Cole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back