New Japan Pro Wrestling News and Card Announcements Thread

God damnit second to last day of the B block, you were supposed to result in a couple guys breaking from the pack and becoming clear favorites to take it, not make it an 8 way tie for first place.

Not going to bother with a prediction.

Really surprised at the 8 way tie for Block B. Or rather confused. :confused:

I'm more confused about Kushida being on par with all the opponents of his block. When the blocks were released, he was easily the favorite and it pretty much seemed like a block for Kushida to easily enter the final. Now it's totally opposite. Also not sure how it'll be decided who goes to the final since it's confirmed that 4 wrestlers will tie at 8 at the end of block matches.

I'm trying to work out the math for how the finals will work out, but in the meantime I've stumbled upon something kind of interesting about the B Block.

Every match up for the final night of the round robin comes down to two guys that have beaten and lost to opposite opponents. For example, in the ACH vs Taguchi match, ACH has beaten Bushi, Desperado and Kushida, and lost to Tiger Mask, Volador and Kanemaru. Taguchi on the other hand, lost to Bushi, Desperado and Kushida, but beat Tiger Mask, Volador and Kanemaru.

The first match up will end up eliminating four guys as a result. If Bushi wins it, that'll eliminate Tiger Mask (who'll be left with 6 points), as well as Taguchi, Volador and Kanemaru regardless of the results of their matches, because even if they win and tie Bushi with 8 points, Bushi beats them in the head to head thanks to going over them during the round robin. But if Tiger Mask beats Bushi, that'll eliminate Kushida, ACH and Desperado on top of Bushi, for the same reasons.

Well... Ladies and Gentlemen, our final is

Will Ospreay vs Kushida

A Block's winner did surprise me. B Block, I had no idea whatsoever. I did attempt to figures out the win conditions but soon gave up haha but yes I really like the numbers aspect of these tournaments.They must be such a pain in the ass to book though. :lmao:

If there is one complaint I have had about this tournament, the sheer amount of 19-count spots. Why so frequent? I also didn't really like ACH, just something about him. That "Hulk Up" bridge thing he does is cool. But his look, his mannerisms... I dunno, he just comes off as obnoxious, and not believable? I can't put my finger on it...

Everyone else was great though. Even Kanemaru and Tiger Mask had their moments! But to me, the real standouts of this tournament were Desperado and Bushi. I had always seen both as just lackeys in their respective stables. It baffled me how Bushi was so over with merchandise and whatnot.

But now I understand. As singles performers these two are awesome. They have good themes too which I guess we never get to hear otherwise. I think it's kind of a pity they will probably just go back to tags... But of course, you can't push everyone. Oh by the way Desperado got fucking screwed in his match with Tiger Mask, his feet were clearly on the ropes.

My top 3 matches:
1) Kushida vs Taguchi outstanding. When Taguchi goes serious he can do some great work. This had really nice, light hints of comedy too. Kushida's story in this tournament was cool. He starts off lost and in distress, getting pinned by people he definitely shouldn't be, and then develops a new finisherand starts picking up wins. Nice.

2) Ospreay vs Scurll maybe it being Scurll's debut I hadn't seen his prior work... But anyway this had a really good flow to it I thought.

3) Bushi vs El Desperado
Hardcam match but awesome heel vs heel and it was pretty violent too getting thrown into the crowd and such.

My prediction for winning
Ospreay.
He beat Hiromu and I think they will still hold off on Kushida.

For me, it'll come off a bit anti-climactic if Kushida wins. He's been such a dominant fixture as a singles and tag team wrestler in the Junior Heavyweight scene for the better part 5 years now. He's been IWGP Junior Heavyweight & Tag Team Champion...what? Four and two times respectively?

Ospreay won the tourney last year but he came up short when challenging for the strap, so I see him becoming the 2nd back to back winner and New Japan putting the strap on him.

Time and time again... We predict in this thread... and end up being wrong! I honestly love it! It's so much more refreshing than WWE right? Although Mahal becoming champion... lol

The final was great! The post match celebrations really got to me as well for some reason... It just felt really epic. Like, I had gotten to know all of these talents through the course of this tournament.

It felt like they were on par with the heavyweights. Also I read the venue sold out, which considering it was basically a one match card, shows juniors can draw!

Honestly, I didn't know that final took place until I saw your post. :shrug:

As for the result, I think that the right person won. What I guess is that the tourney winner (Keeping it away from spoiling :p) won't be able to defeat Hiromu Takahashi and then will be promoted to heavyweights. To fill the void of Katsuyori Shibata.

I am very much against Kushida becoming a heavyweight. I really don't think the junior division should be a "stepping stone." I know that's what it has been for the last few years with Omega, Ibushi and Devitt.

But if they insist on separate divisions, the wrestlers should not be crossing over them. I'm against weight classes in general, I'm not a fan of the cruiserweights in WWE. Also, I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I want the tag divisions unified.

I really think Kushida should stay in the juniors, he has really improved the division and he should continue to put others over in it. My prediction (LOL PREDICTIONS) is that he loses to Hiromu, and then has a feud with whoever is holding the Never belt. That will be a nice detour. Also I wouldn't mind seeing him in the G1 since I'm sure that's openweight too.

ヒュー G. レックション;5704743 said:
Also I wouldn't mind seeing him in the G1 since I'm sure that's openweight too.

I believe that the G-1 is built exclusively for talent that the company books as heavyweights.

Also if we start to speculate on this year's G-1 field, we're looking potentially at Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, Omega, Ishii, Goto, EVIL, SANADA, Suzuki, Kojima, Nagata, Makabe, Cody, Fale, Elgin; Tonga and YOSHI-HASHI who finally cracked the field last year; a good chance for Juice Robinson to get his first and deserved spot, Yano and Yujiro who have been mainstay competitors in recent years; the expected inclusion of ZSJ which has been seen as a near virtual lock since his lack of inclusion in BoSJ indicates that Gedo sees him as a HW; and the possible(PLEASE) inclusion of Tiger Mask W.

Unless they were to expand back to 12-man blocks(unlikely considering ten man blocks make for a better logistical fit for the tour), even without Shibata, Honma, Tenzan, or a NOAH presence this year, there still appears to be no room for a guy like KUSHIDA in this year's field.

I'm excited about Dominion 6.11. Okada Vs. Omega II is obviously the most interesting match. I'm excited for Hiromu Takahashi Vs. Kushida III as well.

I think that Kushida will get the title back now. Don't know why but can't see him losing for 3rd straight time to Takahashi. Can't see Suzuki losing the title as it would be too soon. Tanahashi might get InterContinental Championship back.

I watched an interview Naito and Hiromu did on New Japan world. Hiromu kept ignoring the questions about Kushida, saying he's already beaten him twice, and wanted Ospreay.

What I would like to happen is, Hiromu beats Kushida again. So Kushida cant beat Hiromu. Ospreay challenges but then Hiromu loses to belt to him. So Hiromu can't beat Ospreay. After that Kushida wants a shot, because Ospreay can't beat Kushida.

This would then result in a triple threat at WK, with one of the three "breaking the cycle" by pinning the person they can't beat.

Incredible match to top off a great show. A little unhappy with the draw, but thats mostly because I'm the biggest Omega mark in the world and partially because I have a combined 7 hours sleep in the last 3 nights and have been pushing myself so hard lately that I actually missed a good portion of the final 10 minutes thanks to being stuck in the washroom projectile vomiting, so that was fun.

Not a fan of Cody being the next challenger. Especially if he ends up winning the title when Omega didn't just to set up some Bullet Club civil war angle. Call me crazy, but if it results in a guy who has done next to nothing in the company holding the belt while the guy who put on two of the greatest (if not the greatest period) matches in the history of the sport while part of the company never wins it, you'll be able to find it listed as an example of the word "travesty" if you look it up in the dictionary.

Have no fear, Tsunaru, Cody has ZERO chance of winning that belt. He js a mere filler opponent. I'm kinda pissed he beat Elgin to be honest, wasn't that Elgin's first match back from injury? The guy that had a fucking awesome match with Naito? He loses to Cody...

I can't remember any great matches Cody has had. Other than him and Goldust vs the Shield... What about singles? Nothing. He has okay matches... but maybe with Okada's magic, he'll have at least one great one to his name.

Glad to see that I predicted the matches right this time (mostly). Kushida won and should've since you can't have him lose straight 3 times to the same person when he's the ace of the division. Same for Tanahashi.

Glad to see the draw between Omega and Okada. Gives Omega some credibility while protecting Okada.

Won't worry much about Cody. He's just getting it for the American tour. Can't see going over Okada of all people. And yes, he isn't an awesome wrestler.

Hoping for Okada VS Omega III at Wrestle Kingdom 12. :rolleyes:

The last matches really were excellent. I am very surprised Kushida won! But that match was awesome, and I like that New Japan don't shy away from tapout finishes. I am loving the junior division right now!

Tanahashi, despite being limited, put on yet another classic with Naito. I really did want Naito to win but the match was so good I can't complain. Naito tapping out to the cloverleaf was also a very refreshing finish.

Both would've been fitting ends to any show... But here we have a main event of main events... Once again I doubted what they were doing in the early minutes, and once again I ended up being absolutely blown away. I really think this match was on par with WK's... Was it better? It's really difficult for me to decide. The match was very different to WK's but still an amazing piece of storytelling with so many memorable moments. The fact they managed to reach such a level of quality again, is such a huge achievement.

Hoping for Okada VS Omega III at Wrestle Kingdom 12. :rolleyes:

It seems I'm turning to that too... I thought Naito was an absolute guarantee. But now we have 3 potential G1 scenarios:

1) Naito wins, challenges Okada
2) Kenny wins again
3) Okada wins as champ then calls out Kenny

I really like option 3. If Okada were to win as champ, call out Kenny and then lose to him at WK, that would be wonderful. His own arrogance would be his downfall.

ヒュー G. レックション;5707859 said:
The last matches really were excellent. I am very surprised Kushida won! But that match was awesome, and I like that New Japan don't shy away from tapout finishes. I am loving the junior division right now!

Tanahashi, despite being limited, put on yet another classic with Naito. I really did want Naito to win but the match was so good I can't complain. Naito tapping out to the cloverleaf was also a very refreshing finish.

Both would've been fitting ends to any show... But here we have a main event of main events... Once again I doubted what they were doing in the early minutes, and once again I ended up being absolutely blown away. I really think this match was on par with WK's... Was it better? It's really difficult for me to decide. The match was very different to WK's but still an amazing piece of storytelling with so many memorable moments. The fact they managed to reach such a level of quality again, is such a huge achievement.

It seems I'm turning to that too... I thought Naito was an absolute guarantee. But now we have 3 potential G1 scenarios:

1) Naito wins, challenges Okada
2) Kenny wins again
3) Okada wins as champ then calls out Kenny

I really like option 3. If Okada were to win as champ, call out Kenny and then lose to him at WK, that would be wonderful. His own arrogance would be his downfall.
Most interested in option 2. Not really interested in other two options.

Naito is a good wrestler but he can have the main event of Wrestle Kingdom in future. Kazuchika Okada Vs. Kenny Omega is something that's too hot to not fix it as the main event especially after the draw. The trilogy needs to end at Wrestle Kingdom. Also, won't like Okada winning the G1 Climax. I would prefer Omega winning it as in "earning" the title shot again.

Naito isn't going anywhere, Omega might. The exposure a trilogy between Okada and Omega will get, easily overshadows what Naito can do with Okada.

So how do they get there? Do you think Omega and Okada should be in the same block, or face each other in the finals? Or would you want Okada to lose some matches so he doesn't reach the final?

Here's the thing... It's going to be very difficult/weird seeing Okada taking clean pins now. Of course every champion has done so previously going into the G1... But I dunno... This title reign has been so fucking special. Dare I say the best title reign ever! I think if he went through his block undefeated, then lost to Omega in the finals? It shoukd be noted the G1 final is a rare instance of a match with no time limit! That would make it 1-1-1 each. Then WK FINALLY sets it.

Of course I'm just shooting out possibilities. I'm so excited to see the G1 blocks!

ヒュー G. レックション;5707869 said:
So how do they get there? Do you think Omega and Okada should be in the same block, or face each other in the finals? Or would you want Okada to lose some matches so he doesn't reach the final?

Here's the thing... It's going to be very difficult/weird seeing Okada taking clean pins now. Of course every champion has done so previously going into the G1... But I dunno... This title reign has been so fucking special. Dare I say the best title reign ever! I think if he went through his block undefeated, then lost to Omega in the finals? It shoukd be noted the G1 final is a rare instance of a match with no time limit! That would make it 1-1-1 each. Then WK FINALLY sets it.

Of course I'm just shooting out possibilities. I'm so excited to see the G1 blocks!
Here's what I'll do.

According to me, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada, Kenny Omega & Tetsuya Naito are the stars of Heavyweight Division. So, keep Omega & Naito in one block and Tanahashi & Okada in another. Katsuyori Shibata would be the another star but he's unfortunately injured. Elgin might become one in future.

So, now have Tanahashi & Okada tied at the end of block matches but Tanahashi goes to final since he's victorious against Okada. Have Omega win the other block decisively. Have Omega defeat Tanahashi in the final giving him another big rub. And then Okada Vs. Omega III at Wrestle Kingdom 12. This match is too big to schedule it for a block match or even G1 Climax final. I would prefer Omega's title win at the biggest event instead of a regular event.

The cards for the US G1 Special have been announced and is follows:

July 1, 2017
*The Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, The Young Bucks, Marty Scurll, & Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Chaos (Rappongi Vice, Will Ospreay, & The Briscoe Brothers)

*First Round Match: IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Tournament - Jay Lethal vs. Hangman Page

*Jushin Thunder Liger, Dragon Lee, Volador, Jr. & Titan vs. Evil, Bushi, Hiromu Takahashi & Sanada

*First Round Match: IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Tournament - Zack Sabre, Jr. vs. Juice Robinson

*David Finlay, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Jay White & Kushida vs. Billy Gunn, Sho Tanaka, Yohei Komatsu and Yos--tatsu

*IWGP Tag Team Championship - Guerillas of Destiny (c) vs. War Machine

*First Round Match: IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Tournament - Kenny Omega vs. Michael Elgin

*First Round Match: IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Tournament - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tatsuya Naito

*IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Kazuchicka Okada (c) vs. Cody

July 2, 2017
*IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Billy Gunn

*IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship - The Young Bucks (c) vs. Rappongi Vice

*Semi-final Match: IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Tournament - Winner of Sabre, Jr./Robinson vs. Winner of Ishii/Naito

*Semi-final Match: IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Tournament - Winner of Omega/Elgin vs. Winner of Lethal/Page

*Final Match: IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Tournament - Winner of Semis #1 vs. Winner of Semis #2

The bracket for United States Championship makes me think that Kenny Omega could be the inaugral champion. Then at Wrestle Kingdom, we could get United States Champion against IWGP World Heavyweight Champion. Much like Hogan Vs. Warrior.

My predictions are mostly wrong though. But I would love it if it really happens like this. Also, looking forward to Omega Vs. Elgin. A sureshot good match.

Can't see Cody winning the big one. Same for Billy Gunn.

Just watched the match between Dragon Lee and Will Ospreay. Liked it a lot. Dragon Lee has a new fan in me. I've some selling issues with Will Ospreay but he's alright otherwise.

Will see Kazuchika Okada Vs. Kenny Omega II soon. 180 MB video downloaded. :rolleyes:

Some people have an extraordinary chemistry with each other. Like Kazuchika Okada and Kenny Omega. Or AJ Styles & John Cena.

Just watched the match between Dragon Lee and Will Ospreay. Liked it a lot. Dragon Lee has a new fan in me. I've some selling issues with Will Ospreay but he's alright otherwise.

Have you watched the BoSJ final between Ospreay/KUSHIDA? The way that Ospreay sold the arm in that match was borderline perfect. He is still in his early 20s, and the consistency of his selling from match-to-match is coming along quite nicely, and in a match like the last one versus KUSHIDA, where the selling being done at a high level is absolutely crucial to the story of the match coming together as planned, he already has the ability to step up and hit the occasional home run.

Have you watched the BoSJ final between Ospreay/KUSHIDA? The way that Ospreay sold the arm in that match was borderline perfect. He is still in his early 20s, and the consistency of his selling from match-to-match is coming along quite nicely, and in a match like the last one versus KUSHIDA, where the selling being done at a high level is absolutely crucial to the story of the match coming together as planned, he already has the ability to step up and hit the occasional home run.
Haven't seen it yet. Will download it today.

Bdw, I saw Okada Vs. Omega II. Another classic match. And the result is a just an icing on the cake. I would like trilogy to end at Wrestle Kingdom.

Also, did you see this match, Pillman? How did you find it? Find it as in did you like it or not? I loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back