New Day to induct Fabulous Freebirds.

Navi

With the safety off!!
Wasn't really looking forward to this years Hall of Fame Ceremony, but in the words of JR "Business just picked up."

Today the WWE announced that New Day will induct the Fabulous Freebirds into the WWE Hall of Fame, and I couldn't be more thrilled. This is going to be one hell of an induction speech, and should blow the roof of the place. I'm thinking the chant of the night will be "Freebirds Rock, Freebirds Rock". This is going to be great, now I'm excited for it.

I'm concerned as to whether New Day can pull something like this off. We know they're goofy, but this isn't a time to be goofy. This is a big moment HOF induction speech for one of the greatest groups to ever step into the ring. Can Big E pull off classy?

I mean, I don't really know which way they go with this. Are they going to be completely serious about it or are they going to try and throw some New Day shit in there? Hopefully they can find the right mix and pull off a good speech for the Freebirds.

I'm concerned as to whether New Day can pull something like this off. We know they're goofy, but this isn't a time to be goofy. This is a big moment HOF induction speech for one of the greatest groups to ever step into the ring. Can Big E pull off classy?

I mean, I don't really know which way they go with this. Are they going to be completely serious about it or are they going to try and throw some New Day shit in there? Hopefully they can find the right mix and pull off a good speech for the Freebirds.

Well considering that they've been the only group to come under the Freebird rule in a long time, it's perfect. Of course there is a time to be serious, but as last year showed the Bushwackers hit a home run and they were anything but serious. Sometimes the public likes to see the human side of these guys, and I think New Day with their personality and charisma can pull it off.

Aaaaaand Kevin Von Erich is where? We're talking about Dallas, and the greatest rival of the Von Erich's being inducted. I know the Von Erich's and Freebirds aren't household names in the minds of WWE-is-all-there-is marks, but this is just baffling.

Holy PR move Batman! I found it interesting that WWE are putting them in this year. The whole Confederate flag issue blew up last year with Dylan Roof to the point I now wonder if Vince is being defiant, controversial or clueless in his decision to add these guys. Having New Day induct them makes me think Vince may have been clueless and is now covering his ass a tad bit by picking some black wrestlers to do the induction speech.

That all being said there is the connection with New Day sort of using the Freebird Rule and the group will do a great job with their speech, especially Woods.

Holy PR move Batman! I found it interesting that WWE are putting them in this year. The whole Confederate flag issue blew up last year with Dylan Roof to the point I now wonder if Vince is being defiant, controversial or clueless in his decision to add these guys. Having New Day induct them makes me think Vince may have been clueless and is now covering his ass a tad bit by picking some black wrestlers to do the induction speech.

That all being said there is the connection with New Day sort of using the Freebird Rule and the group will do a great job with their speech, especially Woods.

Ya, let's just bring in a bunch of political problems to something that has no political meaning, so people can be upset and offended by something that isn't really there.

You're looking into this way too much, I'm sure the Freebirds and WWE, whomever makes the final call through all of this found that giving some current talent a rub and a chance to shine in a hof speech was appropriate.

This could be an interesting test for New Day. We know that they can be goofy and funny, but this opportunity to see if they can forge a deeper connection with a more serious tone. I'm sure there'll be some shenanigans involved, but probably not nearly as much as we're used to when you consider that it's a HOF induction for one of the top factions in pro wrestling history. There are times in which a more serious tone has to be taken in storylines and feuds, so if New Day pulls this off in a way that generates genuine emotional depth, it could lead to more of such happenings later on that could potentially lead to bigger things for some or all of them later on in terms of pushes, title runs and places on the card.

When have they used the Freebird Rule?

From what I've seen, Kofi and Big E are the tag team, and Woods only wrestles when its a 6 man tag.

As far a I know they are the only 3 man tag team in the division, so they can use the Freebird Rule whenever they want, doesn't mean they have too. The Shield and the Wyatt's (before the addition of Strowman) could have as well.

While it's true that Kofi and Big E share most of the workload, Woods does bring something to the table in the fact that he is the energy that drives them. I remember when he wasn't on one RAW and I found the other two kind of boring without him.

Whether they use the rule or not they are entitled too and that's the point I was trying to make anyway.

As far a I know they are the only 3 man tag team in the division, so they can use the Freebird Rule whenever they want, doesn't mean they have too. The Shield and the Wyatt's (before the addition of Strowman) could have as well.

While it's true that Kofi and Big E share most of the workload, Woods does bring something to the table in the fact that he is the energy that drives them. I remember when he wasn't on one RAW and I found the other two kind of boring without him.

Whether they use the rule or not they are entitled too and that's the point I was trying to make anyway.

When New Day first won the titles they mentioned that they'd use the Freebird rule, and I think Woods has defended the titles once or twice, though it mostly is Kofi and Big E.

Last team I remember doing the Freebird rule was the Spirit Squad.

It's not the first time they've had someone induct a Hof'er that didn't seem to really fit, I feel like Big E and Xavier probably only saw Hayes in his Dok Hendrix. Anyway it's not a big deal, I think I recall a match or two where it was Xavier and Kofi as a team or Xavier and Big E, and JBL always references the Freebirds and or the Freebird in their matches
After looking it up, yes Xavier and Big E lost the belts last year at MITB, Kofi was in the ladder match earlier that night.

Ugh, this is uncomfortable. I guess the WWE assumed to have three black guys induct the Freebirds, they wouldn't have to feel bad about the amounts of Confederate Flag and down south racism involved in the Freebirds. I don't think they're still the same way, but the Freebirds in the 80s in the South were about as racist as they could get.

It is quite ironic that New Day is set to induct the Freebirds. Maybe this is Michael Hayes' way in saying "I'm sorry" We may hear that during his speech. I think the day he called Mark Henry the "N" word it might have been probably taking out of context. He was said to be drunk that evening, and he may have felt comfortable to talk like that in front of him given the fact he's good friends with a lot of African American stars. In the heat of the moment he might have felt like he can "talk the same language" One thing's for sure is, is that he happens to be a fan of the New Day which might have influenced his decision to have them induct the Freebirds. It'll be interesting to see on Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back