• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Negotiations With AJ Styles "Fall Apart"; Styles Returning to ROH

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
This via PWInsider and an ROH press release:

"The Phenomenal One" is back! A true Ring of Honor pioneer and one of the greatest wrestlers in the sport today, AJ STYLES, has been signed to compete once again in an ROH ring on January 4th, 2014 in Nashville, Tennessee!

AJ Styles helped put ROH on the map in its early years by displaying his own unique blend of high-flying wrestling and hard hitting strikes. Styles has gone on to be recognized as one of the best wrestlers of our time and recently became the most sought-after free agent in pro wrestling.

After finalizing the deal within the last couple hours we can now officially confirm that the long awaited return of AJ Styles to ROH will kick off 2014 in only 1 week at the Nashville Fairgrounds!

AJ Styles will face "Mr. ROH" Roderick Strong in Nashville in a huge match that will air on ROH TV the weekend of February 1st! It has been 8 years since Styles competed in ROH while Strong has been one of the most consistent competitors in ROH for the last 10 years. We are excited to welcome AJ back but not too sure that Strong will feel the same way.

"I'm excited to return to ROH and the Nashville Fairgrounds. Lots of history made that I was made that I was part of in both. Expect more on January 4. Hope Nashville fans fill that asylum," said AJ

In addition to the return of AJ Styles, January 4th marks the return to ROH action of Chris Hero who battles "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen! Plus Wrestling Legend "Rowdy" Roddy Piper will be on hand for a very RARE Meet & Greet Autograph Signing!

--

So much for this being a big work.

PWI is also reporting that the chances he returns to TNA are "very slim".

There's still a chance he's still with TNA. There's nothing here about him being officialy signed with the indie promotion, only a January 4th (happen to be this date) match and another one with Roderick Strong. He may have a few more matches with them after like he did in AAA.

It would become more clear that he's actually left TNA if he's no longer mentioned or if he goes into this match without the TNA Heavyweight Title. I think it's a little obvious he's still signed if they show footage of him and mention him week after week. That's what you would expect them to do with someone signed, otherwise why else would they waste time on them? Who knows, maybe TNA came to an agreement with ROH similar to the one they came about with AAA and Wrestle-1 regarding Styles' title defences.

Good I hope he does leave TNA and if he can't go to WWE then ROH is the next best place for him. I am amazed that TNA is this stupid not to give him what he wants and keep the face of their Company.

Even if the chances of him re-signing are "very slim", it's still a chance, right? I don't care if it's a work or not. He'll show up for a little while at ROH, though exactly how long is in the air. Either way as long as I get to se AJ on tv then I'm cool.

I'm 1001% certain it's a work. There is no way ROH could've even paid him half of what he was asking for in TNA. ROH had to offer him more than TNA was willing to give him. If he took less, than he's stupid because all that time negotiating wasted to take less money. We'll know for sure though if he shows up in ROH with the TNA title. If he does, we'll know it's a work. If he Doesn't and doesn't mention TNA, than we'll know it isn't a work. What would be the point for sending AJ to ROH if he won't be defending the TNA title and not mentioning TNA?

But i'm confident they're playing the IWC and winning, because no one knows for sure if it's a work or not.

But i'm confident they're playing the IWC and winning, because no one knows for sure if it's a work or not.
Let's not call that idea "winning". Resorting to "fooling the internet" is the province of shit writers who can no longer produce anything entertaining, and so resort to booking to make themselves feel smart.

Unfortunately, "playing the IWC" doesn't turn into "more viewers spending more money". It's a way to hang onto your job by writing material that makes your boss feel good. The end goal of professional wrestling isn't to demonstrate to people on the internet that you can write a story they can't guess at, the end goal of professional wrestling is to tell a story that people want to tune in each week to see.

I'm 1001% certain it's a work. There is no way ROH could've even paid him half of what he was asking for in TNA. ROH had to offer him more than TNA was willing to give him. If he took less, than he's stupid because all that time negotiating wasted to take less money. We'll know for sure though if he shows up in ROH with the TNA title. If he does, we'll know it's a work. If he Doesn't and doesn't mention TNA, than we'll know it isn't a work. What would be the point for sending AJ to ROH if he won't be defending the TNA title and not mentioning TNA?

Untrue. To work a couple of times against solid workers for less money isn't stupid at all. By all accounts, Styles is a smart kid who has taken good care of his finances, so he can choose where he goes. To work a few matches against great talents in ROH for less money can't be compared to working a full schedule for TNA. If he signs with TNA he's likely looking for a "last contract" for which he wants to get paid at least what he was before. Right now, my guess is he's having some fun and taking some time to do what he wants.

If he took less, than he's stupid because all that time negotiating wasted to take less money.

Not exactly. (I'm assuming that Styles is on a short term deal with ROH, maybe even just for the one appearance). Styles is negotiating with TNA on a basis of "Styles in TNA" vs "No Styles in TNA." Styles' position is that those two are different enough to TNA for TNA to show Styles the money.

What Styles does when he's not in TNA--ROH, coach little league, manage a Staples--doesn't really matter for that negotiation. When WWE didn't call Styles, it was clear that TNA's offer was the best money for Styles. The question is will Styles ultimately settle for that money from TNA, or will he basically go into semi-retirement, working fewer dates for less money in ROH, Japan, Mexico and some US indys.

EDIT: ...or will TNA give STyles the money he's asking for. That's also possible, but I think unlikely.

Nothing to say that TNA and ROH aren't working together trying to help each other out for the good of the business more or less like WWF and ECW did at one point or another WWF helping ECW with talent without actually mentioning them and then eventually running a shoot storyline acknowledging there existance.

Either way TNA is no good for Styles anymore unless they overpay him, nothing he can do there is gonna change a thing for the company or him, he's proven time and time again that he's a stable but he's no face of the company much like HBK was to WWE, phenomenal in the ring but as the face of the company, he didn't have that over the top presence, meanwhile Style in ROH is good for ROH, he could help get them a bit more exposure atleast amongst the indy circuit.

That's my take, whether it gets flamed or not. Makes no difference to me either way, but just another moronic decision to add to TNA management list if they indeed let him walk without a decent fight. and good for him if he saw the light and chose himself over being mr dependable

Either way TNA is no good for Styles anymore unless they overpay him, nothing he can do there is gonna change a thing for the company or him, he's proven time and time again that he's a stable but he's no face of the company much like HBK was to WWE, phenomenal in the ring but as the face of the company, he didn't have that over the top presence, meanwhile Style in ROH is good for ROH, he could help get them a bit more exposure atleast amongst the indy circuit.

Your Take makes no sense, how is AJ Styles going to give ROH more exposure? Unless they pay him more which I doubt, his career does not get any better then working for TNA. Lets not overlook the fact, they have a national TV Deal with Spike TV look how long it took a promotion to get TV when WCW/ECW went under. You think networks are really going to rush to give another one a chance if TNA goes under? which it's not..I'm just using them as a example. Wrestling Ratings have been on the decline for years,advertisers will only pay peanuts for that kind of programing. WWE gets away with it because they are wrestling as far as the general public is concerned. But that's why there isn't more wrestling on tv.

Career wise, TNA is bigger then ROH and gets more exposure for having a Global Fanbase

It's a one night event, I think AJ Styles is legit out of contract with TNA and can see him doing more indies events for awhile.

It's a one night event, I think AJ Styles is legit out of contract with TNA and can see him doing more indies events for awhile.

Actually, it's not. I posted this in the spam thread but here it is to rub salt into the wounds of TNA's fanbase, hope you all enjoyed that Dixieland match.

From Meltzer's newsletter:

AJ Styles really is no longer with TNA. The two sides were discussing details as early as last week but couldn't agree terms. AJ's agent contacted Ring of Honor about his return to work out a deal between the two sides as its the one place Styles really wanted to go due to his past history with the promotion. While a contract hasn't been signed Styles is working under an open contract, which means he can appear on other promotions shows but can't work for anyone with television which includes TNA while working for ROH.

The Nashville show isn't a one off either, Styles is going to be a regular roster member for ROH in 2014 so expect his name to be added to the card for Wrestling's Finest in Pittsburgh, PA on 1/25, the San Antonio, TX return on 2/8, the 12th Anniversary Show in Philadelphia on 2/22 and the TV taping the following day after the Nashville TV taping this Saturday.

AJ's first match back is with Roderick Strong. The reason for this is their past history of great matches and the formation of The Decade at Final Battle, which consists of Strong, Jimmy Jacobs and BJ Whitmer who have an agenda with people leaving the company and coming back when things don't work out elsewhere. ROH will also be looking to book Styles against former rival Paul London at some point among other matches.

And a similar story from PWInsider:

For those who have asked, the 1/4/14 AJ Styles return at the Nashville Fairgrounds TV Taping is not Styles' only date with Ring of Honor. He won't be signing with the company but is slated for additional dates in 2014. They will be announced in due time. Styles' reps literally reached out to ROH late Friday/early Saturday to lock the deal for his return in place. In my interview with Styles last week in the Elite section, he noted that a return to ROH was on the table and noted that at one point, he almost left TNA for ROH when TNA forced him to choose one or the other and it was a hard decision not to remain with ROH at the time, but TNA was offering more dates per year.

With the addition of Styles and Chris Hero to the regulars on the ROH roster, that's a pretty nice piece of momentum the company has picked up in the last few weeks.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/824...-news.html?p=1

It seems that the reality of the situation is, AJ Styles left TNA to be on ROH's TV show and work indie dates.

And just to confirm that he is actually gone even more, Highspots will be doing a shoot interview with AJ this week. Contracted performers are not allowed to do in-depth shoot interviews without consent and whenever they have done them its always been with RF Video and never with Highspots.

I'm looking forward to seeing AJ in ROH but until he signs an actual contract with ROH and neither article says that he has signed one and no other additional dates are confirmed beyond the Jan 4th he is still a free agent and it's still possible that he may sign TNA or ROH or any other promotion and if he does agree to additional dates for ROH that doesn't mean he can't still be back in TNA for Lockdown in March, which is what I think will end up happening. If AJ chooses to be in ROH full time because he feels that's what's best for him then good for him, I will gladly watch and enjoy him in ROH and the same will be true if he ends up back with TNA

well, looks like this solidifies it, how does one watch roh if it is not on their television programming .... torrents?

well, looks like this solidifies it, how does one watch roh if it is not on their television programming .... torrents?

ROH.com, they post the show every week on their website (Mon. for Ringside members, Thurs. for everyone else)

I think watching the last few years of TNA TV has proven that the company doesn't know what to do with this guy. I didn't enjoy the way AJ was booked for pretty much the entire Hogan era, and he was clearly someone that the Bischoff team didn't have any use for. AJ going anywhere else will reinvigorate his career. WWE should be one of the places he goes, even if it's just to liven up the midcard. There's no shame in being an awesome midcard wrestler and the PPV paydays will be worth it. I really hope AJ ends up in WWE at some point.

I'm looking forward to seeing AJ in ROH but until he signs an actual contract with ROH and neither article says that he has signed one and no other additional dates are confirmed beyond the Jan 4th he is still a free agent and it's still possible that he may sign TNA or ROH or any other promotion and if he does agree to additional dates for ROH that doesn't mean he can't still be back in TNA for Lockdown in March, which is what I think will end up happening. If AJ chooses to be in ROH full time because he feels that's what's best for him then good for him, I will gladly watch and enjoy him in ROH and the same will be true if he ends up back with TNA

Open contract. Open contract.

Until he finishes with ROH he can't work for TNA or any promotion with a TV show. He can work for whoever and do live events, if ROH give him permission he can even do iPPV's, but he can't work anyone elses TV deal. Open contract is like a step up from verbal agreement. And also don't miss the point where it says they rang ROH, ROH didn't ring him.

Until he finishes with ROH he can't work for TNA or any promotion with a TV show. He can work for whoever and do live events, if ROH give him permission he can even do iPPV's, but he can't work anyone elses TV deal. Open contract is like a step up from verbal agreement. And also don't miss the point where it says they rang ROH, ROH didn't ring him.

Only the Observer article says that he has an open contract while PWInsider report says the he won't be signing but will be there for additional dates and if even he does have an open contract according to the observer article his last ROH date is 2/22 and Lockdown isn't until March

I do not want AJ Styles to return to Impact Wrestling. At least not for a year or two, to give time for the TNA landscape to change. As I've said in past posts, there are just so few fresh feuds for AJ to have there. There's a reason most of his big programs in the past few years have been with Chris Daniels.

The roster in Ring of Honor is so good right now. I would much rather see AJ work a handshake contract with ROH for the next year, but on some great matches with Roderick Strong, Chris Hero, Kevin Steen, Adam Cole, and then return to TNA in the future for a major event. I also think TNA could use a few years to not rely on their top guys like AJ Styles and Sting. They need to push a new roster.

I swear, you're ******ed...

What is OPEN CONTRACT?

This is a contract the terms of which do not describe the entire agreement between the two parties involved, with clauses or provisions that can be modified without mutual consent (usually by the vendor).

http://thelawdictionary.org/open-contract/

That means, if he wants to, AJ can go to TNA without even as much as a single letter to ROH. And not to mention, both articles YOU posted say that AJ hasn't signed a contract to ROH. They simply have a glorified way of saying he's doing a few shows and leaving. Much like Daniel Bryan going to NWA when he was released from WWE for a few months. Or how CM Punk showed up at a local indy event [though he WAS under contract].

I swear, you're ******ed...

http://thelawdictionary.org/open-contract/

That means, if he wants to, AJ can go to TNA without even as much as a single letter to ROH. And not to mention, both articles YOU posted say that AJ hasn't signed a contract to ROH. They simply have a glorified way of saying he's doing a few shows and leaving. Much like Daniel Bryan going to NWA when he was released from WWE for a few months. Or how CM Punk showed up at a local indy event [though he WAS under contract].

Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer interviewed AJ Styles yesterday to clear up some details on his ROH return. In it Styles noted his main goal in the next few months is to raise Ring of Honor's brand name and to solidify himself as a great wrestler among what he said, "are the best wrestlers in the world."

AJ stated he hasn't burn't any bridges and that a return to TNA is possibly but for now he is considered an ROH talent and if people don't believe that then they obviously don't respect him very much.

And immediately following this...

Ring of Honor have added AJ Styles to the card of their 12th Anniversary Show weekend television tapings, which is basically confirmation that Styles will be appearing on the 12th Anniversary Show event the night beforehand.

I'll happily be ******ed, cause at least I'm not in denial.

In that same interview with Alvarez/Meltzer, Styles also directly responded to the "is this all a work?" line that a lot of the fans keep harping on and said that he's quite frustrated with how many fans are continuing to say he's signed with TNA, and maintains that he is a free agent and "laments those who claim this is a 'work' will never apologize when they learn it is real".

Pretty damning stuff.

The way I understand it, AJ's deal with Ring of Honor is based on trust and a hand shake. He's agreed to not work anywhere with a television deal while with Ring of Honor, and to work several dates for the company across 2014. This allows him to maintain his independent status and work for other companies, but he might even have to stay off iPPV for companies like FWE. That does NOT prohibit him from doing DVD-only companies like PWG.

I'm kind of surprised that ROH didn't get him to sign something. I think it's because up until recently Styles was still trying to negotiate with TNA, and wanted to leave things open. But since that reportedly fell through, I wouldn't be surprised if ROH tries to get him on lock in the near future. Remember the last time one of their top guys was working for ROH on a handshake? Kenny King, tag team champion, shows up in TNA on a live PPV. That was the end of Kenny King in Ring of Honor. That being said, AJ Styles is well known for being one of the most respectable guys in the business.

So basically what this allows him to do is work wherever he wants, and if TNA comes around and offers him that big money deal he was looking for, he'll just give ROH some notice and things will be fine. AJ has all the leverage right now, I would assume. Ring of Honor wants him, he doesn't need them, and if he wants to be a free agent there's nothing the company can really do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back