• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Need Computer Help

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
To all my tech buddies out there:

For some reason, my computer has been excessively lagging, lately. It'll be fine for a few minutes but then once I click on something or mouse over something that causes some sort of animation or pop-up window, the entire computer freezes for up to 30 seconds at a time. Once I wait it out, the cursor is movable again and I'm fine for the next few minutes. But it keeps on repeating itself, regardless of how many or how little applications I'm running. Plus, it takes forever to boot up.

I'm running Windows 7 with 2 MB of RAM and I've already cleaned out Startup under msconfig. I''ve also run multiple virus and spyware scans and came up with nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this to stop?

To all my tech buddies out there:

For some reason, my computer has been excessively lagging, lately. It'll be fine for a few minutes but then once I click on something or mouse over something that causes some sort of animation or pop-up window, the entire computer freezes for up to 30 seconds at a time. Once I wait it out, the cursor is movable again and I'm fine for the next few minutes. But it keeps on repeating itself, regardless of how many or how little applications I'm running. Plus, it takes forever to boot up.

I'm running Windows 7 with 2 MB of RAM and I've already cleaned out Startup under msconfig. I''ve also run multiple virus and spyware scans and came up with nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this to stop?

Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del

Open Task Manager

Click the Processes tab

Click on Memory, to sort the programs using the most memory at the top.

See if any program is excessively using memory. You can also look at the CPU Usage and Physical Memory Usage at the bottom. If your CPU Usage or Physical Memory are near 100%, then you have something sapping the resources of the machine, and you can use the itemized list of processes to determine what. If your usage and memory are not reaching 85% or above, then it sounds like you have something else going on.

I'm sure you realize this, but make sure you have it open while you're doing the things which cause it to freeze. That way you can see what your stats are when it's hanging.

You could possibly have a virus that is hiding somewhere, regardless of whether it says that it is there or not.

You can use CCleaner.CCleaner is a system optimization and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system and fixes errors allowing Windows to run faster.Google it.

Installing more RAM never hurts, especially considering the OS you're using. It's really inexpensive and easy to install, and will undoubtedly increase computer performance. Of course, 2 GB is fine for casual use, but more is optimal.

Most Windows 7 machines defrag automatically, but you might check and make sure your hard drive is not to fragmented.

I have also run several defrags. Did you say make sure it's not TOO fragmented?
Yes, you don't want a fragmented hard drive. But if you've run several defrags, that's probably not the problem.

Are you doing anything in particular when you notice the hangs? Are you web browsing, by chance?

Yes, you don't want a fragmented hard drive. But if you've run several defrags, that's probably not the problem.

Are you doing anything in particular when you notice the hangs? Are you web browsing, by chance?

Yes, most to all of the time I'm web browsing. I've already deleted my cookies and temporary internet files and I'm using Firefox.

Yes, most to all of the time I'm web browsing. I've already deleted my cookies and temporary internet files and I'm using Firefox.

Have you updated your web browser, Flash and Java. I've seen the web browser be the cause for such hangs many times. There have been various reasons for it (sometimes the browser, sometimes plugins to the browser, sometimes Flash, etc.), but I've seen web browsing cause it.

Have you ever tried using the computer without web browsing to see if it hangs?

Everything is updated.

I haven't tested it without a web broser being used yet. I'll try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back