• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nearly that time of the year again.... E3 2010.

Blade

"Original Blade"
While summer is usually a bit of a dry-spell in terms of major games, gamers always have E3 to look forward to at the start of June. E3 is the biggest gaming convention in the world, with practically every developer showing up to show off their latest releases. The big 3 come in to unveil their upcoming consoles to the world. The huge publishers like Ubisoft and Capcom show new originals as well as new additions to beloved franchises. EA show some sports crap. It's a great time of year for the games industry.

So, this year, there's a shitload of rumours flying around.... As usual. The internet is abuzz with "will they/won't they?" suspicions of one of the big three launching a next generation home console.
The unveiling of a next gen console is pretty much the biggest kind of news the gaming industry can produce. This year, all eyes are on Microsoft with many people believing that the Xbox 720(?) might just be unveiled this year. Nintendo have already announced their next gen handheld console, the successor to the DS, which is bound to generate some interest. But nothing makes the internet collectively jizz like a new home-console being shown. So many people, myself included, have their fingers crossed for one.

In terms of game-based rumours, there's also a few floating around. Firstly, with the announcement of the new deal between Activision and Bungie, people are already expecting their as of now untitled project to make an appearance on the floor. This might be expecting a bit much though, as Bungie have barely finished Halo:Reach and won't have time to put much together on the new project for E3.

Another rumour is that Shigeru Miyamoto is going to be announcing something original. Any true video game fan will know that this is a big fucking deal, as the japanese genius has not released a brand new series since Pikmin way back in 2001. But people are thinking he will have something like this in store for us.

And now some of the games likely to be making an appearance:

Pokemon Black & White
Let's face it, the Pokemon franchise is not what it once was. In the 90's and early 00's, it was a shining force, arguably the king of the JRPG (Yeah, screw you, Final Fantasy....) but now it's become diluted and castrated and it just doesn't feel the same anymore. Looking at the name, it seems like Nintendo might be going back to basics. But there's one thing we need: Real online play. Give the game MMO elements. Pokemon + MMO = Win for us and huge sales for Nintendo.

Star Wars: The Old Republic
Yes, most of us wanted KOTOR 3. Yes, most of us would've preferred KOTOR 3. And yes, most of us still aren't sold on TOR. For those of you that don't know, The Old Republic is an MMORPG set in the Star Wars Universe 1,000 or so years before the movies took place. While some of us bitter KOTOR fanboys might not admit it, it's looking pretty good so far. And apparently, your characters story can change based on your decisions as the game goes on despite the game being an MMO. How will that work? Who the fuck knows... But it still sounds intriguing.

Fable 3
It's safe to say that while the first 2 Fable games were disappointing, they were still great games that had some nice gameplay and fantastic storytelling. The third in the trilogy has a unique twist to it. Apparently, you play as your character from the second game. You are the king of the land, and you have to rule the country. I'm not quite sure how it'll work, but I trust Peter Molyneux. Kind of.

Gears of War 3
With Halo ending with Halo reach, it appears that Microsoft might just push Gears of War to be their new main franchise. It's been a successful series, but it's still not close to Halo in terms of sales and such. But yeah, in the 3rd game, the formula won't change much. Frantic 3rd person shooter set in the distant future. Should be one to watch, cause it will probably get a crapload of hype before its release.

Things we want to see:

Mass Effect 3:
I do not care what Call of Duty fanboys say, Mass Effect 2 was the best game of the last 12 months. The plot, the gameplay, the characters, it was just an amazing experience from start to finish. While Mass Effect 3 isn't out until Q3 next year, fans of the series would love a little teaser, just something to keep us going!

Legend of Zelda:
the-legend-of-zelda-wii-2-20090609031131285.jpg

The picture that simoultaneously pissed off and overjoyed the internet. New Zelda confirmed... Just absolutely no details on it apart from the concept art. Ouch, Miyamoto. But it's a year later and you know that Nintendo must surely be ready to show it off this year. And if they don't.... Well, there might be some e-riots.

New Hardware:
No, I'm not just talking about the Natal or the Sony thing they're working on. I want a new console. Just an appearance of a new console. Doesn't have to be playable, doesn't even need any trailers. But right now, like there was 5-6 years ago with implementation of HDTVs and Blu-Ray (sigh...), we are reaching another evolution in home entertainment with companies starting to develop affordable 3D TV's, as well as games developers thinking about 3D gaming. I think now is the right time to see a glimpse of the future. It's unlikely to see anything out of Sony or Nintendo, but Microsoft might have something up their sleeve. Unless they're worried it'll overshadow Natal... Heh.

Ok, so those are my thoughts on this year's upcoming E3, what about you guys? Anything you want to see or are really looking forward to?

Quantum Theory
I had seen this game awhile back and thought it looked cool.It looks a lot like Gears of War and as a PS3 owner I will take what i can get.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
I was a fan of the first game but it had a lot of problems.The last game had potential but a lot of game play problems held it back.I'm hoping #2 will fix the issues

Call of Duty: Black Ops
It the Next Call Of Duty!With all the problem between Infinity ward and Activision we were all fearful of the Call of duty series.Can Treyarch live up to the quality of the last 3 games.Will Infinty ward be reduced to pre WW2 games.Maybe will find out at
E3

Rage
The game looks really good.I've read some things and it seems like a Fallout type of game.Im looking forward to learning more

Crysis 2
We've all heard the rumors about how the first one was to amazing to play on most PC's.Now that the sequel is set to come out on platforms it should be playable..or will it be:suspic:

3D
It's supposed to be the future of gaming.With the new 3D tech being made i am 100%positive 3D will be in the show

I don't think we need another home console this year or anytime soon for that matter.

Maybe its because I've only had my PS3 for 2ish years, but I would like to see both Sony and Microsoft push the current generation of consoles as far as they possibly can before anouncing a new gen of systems.

I think there is still alot that both current systems can do that we haven't even seen yet and I would like to get as much out of my current console before upgrading to the next.

But ultimately, it comes down to making money and we all know that money will be made on the next Xbox, Playstation and Wii.

I absolutely agree with you Blade, actually so much that I'm gonna have to disappoint you cause you stole my choices!

Fable 3: I got all the games thus far, completed them all, and I'm damn well hyped on a 3rd, I think Fable 2 was an big improvement as opposed to what Fable 1 offered, and I'm not saying Fable 1 was awful, but I'm just saying Fable 2 was that much superior, and that's saying a lot about Fable 2 if you ask me.

Mass Effect 3: how can you NOT be excited for that? and don't call me a Call of Duty fan boy please, I liked it, but I'll damn well NEVER say Call of Duty was superior to Mass Effect 2, I completed Call of Duty once, and played a firm while online, but I played Mass Effect 3 times.. 3 times!! (Casual to learn the game, Casual with a downloaded previously saved - Paragon and finally a Hardcore Renegade play through) and every time I played a soldier, yes I know I'm boring for only playing that, but I preferred that, I'm not the magician player, but either way, it just proves how many things you can do in this game, without actually playing different classes!

And I'm pretty excited about SW:Kotor: I didn't play both of the singles player games, but I know of its awesomeness, and I think it'll ultimately be able to erase my existence from World of Warcraft.

I'm also pretty hyped for Fall Out 4 (not really hyped yet, cause I only just found out while writing this, but.. play along): I loved Fallout 3, didn't complete it although cause some other game got released, I forgot which one, but that's not the point, I really enjoyed Fallout 3, and I'm pretty certain Fallout 4 will be amazing.

I'm just looking forward to Mass Effect 3, and anything related to Assassin's Creed. Also, that goddamn Zelda game has been gnawing at my head for a long time, so anything that sheds light on it will be great. And lastly, I'm hoping for more Starcraft 2 hype, seeing as it has an actual release date.

Overall, E3 this year will probably be focused on the motion sensors that the systems will be putting out. I think I heard somewhere that Natal will be shown just a little of it. I really can't recall about it. But hey, if Natal goes live, you can bet they're gonna show some preview of it in E3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back