National Team vs Club Team

Ferbian

Has Returned.
There's a lot of sportsmen (I would guess primarily soccer players) that have had the honors of playing for a great club with a big name, big pay etc.

These type of players has also accomplished in one way or another to be playing for their national team. Some may never have done it but the majority of great players have played in big clubs as well as been on the national team. (Again this is primarily soccer I'm referring to).

But eventually these talents chooses to play for their club over their national team. Sure the logics would be that "There's more money in the club teams". Which I would assume is true. I don't know how national teams and payment functions. But I would assume a guy playing for the English national team gets a smaller pay than if he is playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona.

What makes me wonder though is. Why? Why are people choosing the club over the national team? I personally would see it more prestigious to have a great career on the national team than to play for a great club. Again it could be due to the money. But I would assume they're more than fine with their wallets after a lengthy career.

Is it due to age? I know that some teams would definitely prefer the younger guys who can most definitely still go. But a guy like Raul Gonzales I would assume stopped on the national team by own decision. But he continues to play for Real Madrid.

So what I want to ask you loyal sport fans is these few questions:

What would you rather play for? National team or club team?

Why do you think the talents chooses the club teams over the national team nearing their final years?

This is a fairly simple answer. Money. If a star soccer player has a choice between winning a World Cup, or $100 million, it's a fairly simple choice.

What would you rather play for? National team or club team?

Personally, I think it's an amazing feeling to be able to ply your craft in any way but it would be an honour to represent your country in anything. Your club team is essentially a job, to play for your country is a privilege. To be picked for your country shows that you are one of the best in your nation at what you do so I would say country.

Why do you think the talents chooses the club teams over the national team nearing their final years?

Why? To prolong their careers. Steven Reid recently retired from international football so he could focus on prolonging his career after several long standing injuries. As I said above, the club team is a job, first and foremost and if playing at an international level ends up taking away from your career then it also stands a chance of ruining your livelihood.

I don't know how national teams and payment functions. But I would assume a guy playing for the English national team gets a smaller pay than if he is playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona.

English national players dont get paid as such, they donate all of their salaries to their charity of choice.

Basically it's to prolong their club careers, it's why Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs are still going strong at Man United, while all of their team mates and opponents are playing internationally, whether it be qualifying, freindlies or actual tournaments, these blokes are resting and they can continue until their late 30's.

Me, I'd stay internationally available until I retired from football completely, like the lad above pointed out, club football's a job, international is a privilege, and while your unlikely to get into the England team unless your some overrated twat who's been in the team for years, to be selected for your country is more of an honour as your considered to be the best that your country can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back