National Rugby League 2012 Thread.

Final Form Snyper.

GOAT Human Being
This will be used for all things National Rugby League with news, football match recaps and previews and anything else National Rugby League related.

I know I'm a little late with this but it's better to be late than never.

Tonight we have the second preliminary final of the weekend with South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Melbourne Storm and the first Elimination final with North Queensland Cowboys vs Brisbane Broncos. I'll be doing a review after each game.

First up will be South Sydney vs Melbourne Storm. The Rabbitohs have been the best they have been since 1989. With the emergence of recently named Rookie of the Year Adam Reynolds who is much more mature (football wise) than his years, the resurgence of 5/8th John Sutton, the star quality of Greg Inglis and Nathan Merrit, not to mention the wealth of experience up front with Mihael Crocker, Scott Geddes and youthful Front Rowers like David Taylor and the Burgess brothers. This team have been able to show that they are very well one of the teams to beat.

The way they have to win:
To put it simple, they have to batter and work through the middle with their forwards and look for second phase plays to open the defensive line of probably the most structured defense within the league. Look for Greg Inglish to get his confidence with a few bone jarring returns to inspire the team. Dummy half running to catch the tired forwards with Isaac Luke and Nathan Peats.

The Melbourne Storm can be said to have slumped in form coming into the final series and with winning only 3 or their past 9 matches, especially only after losing 4 beforehand in 15 matches before that. Though with potent attacking players like Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith in their side, it's a team that can never be counted out. The State of Origin series seemed to have taken it's toll, but with the team they have on paper, they are the true team to beat within the finals series.

The way they have to win:
Slow the game down and play methodical and lure Souths into a false sense of security, explode at different intervals with early tackle attacking plays to unsettle the bigger forwards that the Rabbitohs and tire them. Look for repeat sets and look to make Souths tire by tackling to a stand still. Also mentally they need to know mentally that in Melbourne they have never lost to the Rabbitohs

00044973-leadimage.jpg

South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Melbourne Storm.

First Half:
It seems to be a case of no discipline from South Sydney. Giving away penalties 5 to 2. Mostly due to being off side. the game stars tough and the pace seems furious. Melbourne even after the slump they have been in have turned up on fire. they seem to be firing on all cylinders. South's seem almost tentative with their attacking options and look to play 'One out'. there are a few shoving matches between both teams as the tempo seems to quicken. Billy Slater seems to be involved with every play and looking to make up for his form over the past 2 months. Mid way through the first half it's too easy to see that Souths aren't coping with the speed or the skill that is on show.

Though Souths while outplayed, are still showing massive heart. The score line of 18-0 doesn't entirely show just how complete the Storm were within the first half. With possession being firmly against Souths and the penalty count being on the side of Melbourne. 18=0 is pretty good considering for Souths.

Here are some big plays following the first half:
7th Minute: Try to Ryan Hoffman, catching the South's defense sleeping to score the opening try

24th Minute: Billy Slater scores with a great play right out of the Storm play book, it finished with Ryan Hoffman offloading for Billy Slater to put the ball down right on the try line.

35th Minute: Off a penalty, Melbourne score with a a classic 'One Out' play to catch the Rabbitohs with little numbers.

Second Half:
With Souths needing to play catch up from the get go. The problem here is that they seem to have come back from the half time break and do immediately what they did in the first half,a which is let their opposition score a soft try and give away a penalty within 5 minutes of the second half. At the around the 60th minute, Souths seemed to have finally found their second wind. Their defense more intense and their attack was finally starting to get creative and managed to finally get their first try of the game on the 72nd minute. Melbourne actually look to be more worried about losing than scoring anymore points and in turn are playing safe, conservative football. The penalities seemed to have nearly evened out 9-7 in favor of the Storm.

The final score is 24-6 Melbourne Storm

broncoscowboys.jpg

Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland Cowboys:

The Queensland Derby! These two teams have had classic, tough matches in the past. Both teams have the players and the ability to score points like it's going out of style but at the same time both teams have the ability to let their opponents score. Both teams this year have shown their vast ability to put points on the board and that's what makes this match up so interesting. some of the most known, skilled players will be fighting for their team in the first Elimination match on the final series. Over half of the Queensland State of origin team is made up from these two teams. I believe that tonight's match will be no different than what we have witnessed from them.

What Brisbane have to do to win: What they have to do is be enthusiastic and show the confidence that made them the premier team at the beginning of the year. Their team is young, skilled and when they are on a roll, there is no one that can stop them. Though at the same time they are their own worst enemy. When they are down in possession and the game appears against them, they tend to almost fold completely. I guess they really need to play for each other and give the inspiration to succeed. all of the attributes are there. It's there mentality that stops them. There most likely area for success is to make sure they hold the ball, if they hold the ball... they will score. It's that simple. At the same time if their defense isn't on point, they will lose.

What North Queensland have to do to win: North Queensland have to continue their strong ability to play improv football. They are the best at catching their opponents when they make mistakes. At the same time they also have two of the most potent attacking weapons in the game with Johnathon Thurston and Matt Bowen. What they will need to do is respect that even though they are the favorites, they need to understand just how dangerous the Broncos are.

Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland Cowboys

First Half:
The game starts a little slow, warming up into the contest. It doesn't take long for North Queensland to score, the try was made off a knock on from Gerard Beale. Brisbane look confused and flustered so early in this match. The warm up is over and both teams are throwing caution to the wind. Brisbane have squandered a sure try with a blatant and not needed double movement. The cowboys are getting great meters from the play the ball area. The Cowboys are tackling with authority. the game is absolutely living up to the hype. Josh Hoffman drops an easy and uncontested bomb and leads to a Cowboys try. Andrew with a great and much needed 40/20 only to foolishly lose the ball seconds later. Brisbane seem to be their own worst enemy. Players on both sides are getting injured due to the ferocity of the game. The Cowboys are playing Brisbane off their feet.McCullough drops the ball cold and give cowboys great field possession to end the first half. North Queensland throw everything, including the kitchen sink at Brisbane but couldn't score a try before half time.

Key moments in the first half:
5th Minute: Matt Bowen scores the opening try after receiving a great offload.

10th Minute: A try goes begging as Jack Reid bombs a try.

17th Minute: Michael Morgan scores the easiest try of his career. The RAW theme plays in the background.

24th Minute: Andrew McCullough with a spectacular 40/20. His team mates repay him with an error seconds later.

27th Minute: Brisbane penalized for taking an opposition player out of the bomb, Thurston kicks a penalty goal.

33rd Minute: Michael catches a perfectly place grubber kick, from Matt Bowen to score.

Second Half:
Both teams start out jocking for field position. The game has slowed to a methodical pace. A Brisbane error give Cowboys a chance 10m out. Brisbane scores seconds later with a great series of line breaks. Brisbane seem to have found second gear after that try and running the ball with more venom. Another exchange of errors from both teams. A minute later Brisbane show another case of butter fingers and drop the ball. A dubious penalty is the result after a so called 'stripping' of the football again Brisbane. Matt Bowen returns a kick which starts a 95m try that ends with Brent Tate. At this point it's safe to say that Brisbane are eliminated from the finals series. Brisbane don't seem to want o give up. The forwards make massive meters and Sam Thaiday scores. Brisbane will niot die! What a great try, this game is still alive. Brisbane give Cowboys a great chance for scoring with an error right on their own goal line. The game is almost done and the Broncos were put out to pasture. Petero has been a legend and it's a shame his career ends like this.

Key moments in the second half:
45th Minute: Corey Norman scores and give Brisbane a fighting chance.

54th Minute: Johnathon Thurston kicks a penalty goal to make it 20-6.

57th Minute: Brent Tate shows he has the speed as he races down the sideline to score. All but crueling the end of Petero's career.

64th Minute: Sam Thaiday sprints from dummy half and digs his body through the lapse in defense and scores.

71st Minute: Dale Copley scores a magnificent try off an out wide play and a beautiful pass from Justin Hodges.

76th Minute: A soft try to Michael Morgan. Runs a great line and catches the tired Broncos sleeping to score.

79th Minute: Matt Bowen puts the final nail in the coffin for Brisbane 2012 premiership run with a field goal.

FINAL SCORE - 33-16 North Queensland defeats Brisbane Broncos.

Thanks for the memories Petero Civoniceva. It's been great watching you play. Thank you for being the respectable role model.

aap_7211_120905_PeteroCivoniceva_800x600.jpg

I watched the Melbourne/Souths game last night and I was very disappointed in the way Souths played against such as powerful side in the Storm. It was a situation that called for Greg Ingils to run the ball and be the strike weapon he has been this past year. However that's not what we got last night. He didn't play the right style to combat the Storm's strengths around the middle and on the edges. He had only a few runs at full speed and didn't look all to impressive.

The Storm on the other hand were brilliant in the first half. They cut down their errors after dropping the ball countless times over the past two weeks and they didn't slow down when they scored. It was pretty clear the game was over by half time as Melbourne were so dominated during the first half of the game. Nothing was going to stop them and I think most people watching knew that.

With the week off I'm loving the chances for the Melbourne Storm to reclaim titles that should have never been taken from them. I'm a proud Melbourne supporter and I've had the feeling that this is going to be our year since round 1. We've gotten off to a great start for our finals campaign and hopefully by the end of the year we can get Storm/Bulldogs as the final two.

GS Thoughts on first week of the NRL finals.

1. Everyone hates Manly so it was good to see the Dogs beat them and to see Barba doing his thing.

2. Souths just found out what a finals team is all about when the Storm look to right their laziness from last year's final series.

3. The out of form Broncos were just not good enough for the Cowboys who are extremely strong all over the park. If they had face any of the other teams in the bottom 4, they probably would have won, but they only have themselves to blame for coming 8th.

4. Raiders keep bettering expectatations, good for them. Especially for their coach who's head was on the chopping block.

Predictions

Cowboys to beat Manly

Souths to beat Raiders

I watched the Melbourne/Souths game last night and I was very disappointed in the way Souths played against such as powerful side in the Storm. It was a situation that called for Greg Ingils to run the ball and be the strike weapon he has been this past year. However that's not what we got last night. He didn't play the right style to combat the Storm's strengths around the middle and on the edges. He had only a few runs at full speed and didn't look all to impressive.

Melbourne know the inner workings of Inglis, they kept him at bay most of the match. He was still able to make big meters in open space but he wasn't at all that deadly with his fend. I think it might honestly have come down to jitters. These types of things happen when you're facing your old team. Or the more likely scenario was that he was trying so hard to be the star in the game to get one over his time that he ended up mentally blunt before the ball was kicked. Either way though, that performance from Greg isn't something fans are used to. I hope he bounces back because now Brisbane are out, I'll be backing South Sydney (a team I admittedly have a soft spot for).

The Storm on the other hand were brilliant in the first half. They cut down their errors after dropping the ball countless times over the past two weeks and they didn't slow down when they scored. It was pretty clear the game was over by half time as Melbourne were so dominated during the first half of the game. Nothing was going to stop them and I think most people watching knew that.

The Storm are so proficient with the football that they can almost score at will against any team in the NRL. Even with Billy running at 70% of his potential he was doing work big time. He broke the line, ran great angles and backed up whenever he was needed. In the battle of the fullbacks, an injured Billy Slater KO'd Greg Inglis in the second round. They proved that they are the team to beat. Everyone knew they had it in them even before a ball was kicked on Saturday night, even after the run into the finals. They are the most deadly team in the NRL.

With the week off I'm loving the chances for the Melbourne Storm to reclaim titles that should have never been taken from them. I'm a proud Melbourne supporter and I've had the feeling that this is going to be our year since round 1. We've gotten off to a great start for our finals campaign and hopefully by the end of the year we can get Storm/Bulldogs as the final two.

The week off will certainly be welcomed by Slater, he is still not close to 100% and hasnt been since Origin 3. Melbourne seem to have turned their form around at the exact right time. I'm still not convinced that they played at half speed coming into the finals to make sure their players had the were as fresh as possible.

1. Everyone hates Manly so it was good to see the Dogs beat them and to see Barba doing his thing.

I fucking hate Manly. They have some of the most grubby players in the competition. George Rose and Steve Matai are the very reason that they deserve the hate they get. Even back in the Silvertail days, they were smug assholes. Glad to see them humbled on Friday night. Benny Barba, what else can be said about him?

2. Souths just found out what a finals team is all about when the Storm look to right their laziness from last year's final series.

Souths needed this wake up call. I often thought that they were cocky, you could see it in the post game conferences. they needed to be humbled the way the Storm did to them. Maguire was absolutely filthy at the low standard from David Taylor. Crocker and him looked more interested in starting the ol' biff than playing. the Storm don't even need an inch to make a team pay. Souths however gave them a mile and they paid the price.

3. The out of form Broncos were just not good enough for the Cowboys who are extremely strong all over the park. If they had face any of the other teams in the bottom 4, they probably would have won, but they only have themselves to blame for coming 8th.

It was so frustrating watching the Broncos play. with the errors basically inviting JT and Co sniffing around the Brisbane 20m line. It's only a matter of time before they cross the chalk. Brisbane had a chance, a real chance to shake up the finals. No other team has the enthusiasm that the Broncos have and when firing they have more than enough ability to dethrone any of the other teams above them. It was just a case of no confidence and lack of ability to remain calm. Their best offense was "One Out" plays and playing through the middle. when they tried playing out wide, it's where they went wrong. Players like Brent Tate are hard to score against. I believe he is the best defending centre in the game.

4. Raiders keep bettering expectatations, good for them. Especially for their coach who's head was on the chopping block.

I hate, I absolutely hate that the coach is the one who takes all of the heat. It happened to Brian Smith at the Roosters. When will the club boards realize that the players can't be treated as divas and should be accountable for their playing form. It's them playing on the field for the 80 minutes. I don't like that the coach ALWAYS takes the fall.

Predictions

Cowboys to beat Manly

Souths to beat Raiders

I agree with these. I think that Cowboys will have a big mental advantage against Manly. Seeing as Matai is likely facing 2 weeks and Tony Williams is playing like a reserve grader. The Cowboys handled everything that the Broncos could throw and handled it with ease.

Raiders have been known as the dark horse of the final series because of the momentum following them into the final series. Souths however can't be forgotten with their attacking prowess. Both teams have great attacking potency, this game will come down to defense. Defense will be the key, especially when both have massive front rows, it will be a game of attrition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back