Name an Old School finisher that you would like to see ressurrected...

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
There are a few finishers that were awesome back in the day, and are not used any longer for whatever reasons. I'll name three of my faves and you folks can name others or elaborate on my choices and why they should be brought back by someone. You can also include who you would want to use the move.

1) Piledriver

No move screams finisher more than the piledriver. And for those who say it's too dangerous... Tombstone Piledriver. That is all. I would have either The Miz or Edge use that move. It's a heel finisher and a heel should be the one using it. Jerry Lawler, Paul Orndorff, and others used this move effectively. I think it would make a great heel finisher.

2) Gourdbuster

Arn Anderson's finisher when he was with the Minnesota Wrecking Crew. Very effective and looked extremely dangerous. Someone like Ezekiel Jackson or Wade Barrett could use this move and make it look effective.

3) Swinging Neck Breaker/Rude Awakening

Awesome move that looked extremely dangerous when done right. Another heel maneuver though. Someone like Sheamus or Miz could use this move and make it their finisher.

4) Camel Clutch/Steiner Recliner

Another effective finisher that was briefly used by Big Show. If used by someone bigger, it can be a devastating submission move. Someone like Sheamus or CM Punk could use this move as a submission.

So what other moves could the newer generation use that our old schoolers used so effectively?

The first one that really comes to mind is the Western Lariat. You know which one I'm talking about Lariat. Stan Hansen used it so well, and JBL did as well. Now with JBL being gone and the lariat being somewhat of a standard move, I can't help but think that it would be awesome to actually see someone use it as an high impact finisher once again. This is one of the primary reasons why I miss JBL. Awesome wrestler, with an awesome yes simple finisher.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing some suplexes being brought back into wrestling as a way of being a finisher. Not necessarily all those fancy northern light suplexes, german suplexes etc. that some people use to seem more technical. No, something simple like a vertical suplex (I'm sure that has been used as a finisher at one point or another). Now I know it's gonna be hard to implement a suplex into a finishing maneuver once again, because quite frankly it's such a regular move now. But so was the sleeper, and Dolph has given that a decent amount of relevance again.

For me it's the DDT. I don't like how it's been down-graded from a lethal finishing move to something that someone like John Cena can use as a transitional move. When Jake The Snake did it, it looked deadly, I miss it being like that!

The first one that really comes to mind is the Western Lariat. You know which one I'm talking about Lariat. Stan Hansen used it so well, and JBL did as well. Now with JBL being gone and the lariat being somewhat of a standard move, I can't help but think that it would be awesome to actually see someone use it as an high impact finisher once again. This is one of the primary reasons why I miss JBL. Awesome wrestler, with an awesome yes simple finisher.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing some suplexes being brought back into wrestling as a way of being a finisher. Not necessarily all those fancy northern light suplexes, german suplexes etc. that some people use to seem more technical. No, something simple like a vertical suplex (I'm sure that has been used as a finisher at one point or another). Now I know it's gonna be hard to implement a suplex into a finishing maneuver once again, because quite frankly it's such a regular move now. But so was the sleeper, and Dolph has given that a decent amount of relevance again.

I know what you mean. Thing is, there's no one bad ass enough to use the move and pull it off. Skip Sheffield tries to do it, but he makes it look stupid. And his arms are too big. Someone like Daniel Bryan could use a Lariat and make it look like he's killing someone. It takes skill to perform a basic move and make it look like a kill shot. No one on the roster could do that aside from either Bryan or someone like Sheamus. Sheamus could actually do that move well... but he has too many finishers to begin with.

And the SLINGSHOT Suplex would be an awesome finisher, but it would have to be amended into a brainbuster kind of move or a jackhammer to be effective. Tully Blanchard used the Slingshot Suplex as a finisher when the NWA banned the piledriver for a short time. He made it look somewhat bad ass, but I'd rather see a Slingshot Jackhammer. That would be pretty awesome.

I miss a really good Powerbomb. Since Batista has left I feel a bit of a void when it comes to seeing that move. The Powerbomb used to be a regular finisher for big guys, now it is rarely used, if ever. It is a very believable, and devastating move. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing one of the up and comers out of FCW, a bigger guy obviously, come up and use that as his finisher. One requirement though, make sure it's not sloppy. Batista started getting sloppy with it, and I got sick of it.

I'd love to see the Lariat and the Piledriver make their returns as well. The Piledriver just looked painful, especially when the guy would just crumple to the mat right after he got planted on his head. Also, Skip Sheffield does a terrible Lariat... you need someone more agile who can whip their arm quickly while doing it to make it look credible.

I loved the piledriver, but it is WAY to dangerous, example Owen Harts. It almost paralyzed Stone Cold. Piledriver to Stone Cold. Undertaker's tombstone is alot safer to perform were it is safe.

But The move i want back that is a finisher is a DDT. I know Dreamer, Raven, and some divas still use it but the actual move always look weak lately. Seriously, Whe HHH, Cm Punk, etc. Performs it everyone licks out. It look's devastating. If i was a wrestler it would b e my finisher i know that much, mainly because i have always been a DDT mark.

Without question, Macho Man's Elbow Drop from the Top Rope!!!

When talking about finishers from the top rope, his elbow drop is simple compared to top rope finishers now. But, here's what I liked about it:

Macho was a main event competitor. Most wrestlers that have top rope finishers nowadays, are cruiserweights or could be in that cruiserweight division.

He just had a way of building that move up. Opponent would have him down, then he would fight back, bodyslam, climb to the top(sometimes he was hurt, but still managed to climb the rope), point to the heavens, then BOOM. Sometimes the opponent would be almost on the opposite side of the ring.

Great move, great build up. Would love someone to bring it back and give it that much effort to look that good for such a simple move!!

Not really that old school, but the Death Valley Driver was always one of my favorites, kind of dangerous as it has to appear that the opponent had his head driven straight down. I believe Saturn used this move in WCW as his finisher, and Tommy Dreamer used it and renamed it the Dreamer Driver. John Cena's FU, or Atttitude Adjustment on the shoulder starting position is similar but Cena basically turns it into a glorified body slam.

I always liked the brain buster, or the ghost buster as Koko B. Ware called it.

[YOUTUBE]VLvbsavkwLU[/YOUTUBE]

This move looks way too dangerous, but apparently it was safe enough for Koko to execute for many years. How did a guy like Koko have such an awesome finish anyway? I'm not sure who I'd want to see use this finisher today. Maybe Wade Barrett since his current finisher looks so weak and the brain buster really looks brutal.

Id like to see some more submission move finishers, im not talking MMA ripoffs like triangle chokes and armbars, but good old fashioned hanging back breakers, indian deathlocks, texas cloverleafs, dragon sleepers, and the tongan death grip.

I mean if Chris Masters can bring back the full nelson...

Also, the pile driver is a good move, esp when used by a heel in a banned move situation. But the WWE doesn't want anymore stone cold or droz incidents, and its best that talent doesnt get dropped on their head

I always liked the brain buster, or the ghost buster as Koko B. Ware called it.

[YOUTUBE]VLvbsavkwLU[/YOUTUBE]

This move looks way too dangerous, but apparently it was safe enough for Koko to execute for many years. How did a guy like Koko have such an awesome finish anyway? I'm not sure who I'd want to see use this finisher today. Maybe Wade Barrett since his current finisher looks so weak and the brain buster really looks brutal.

Thats sweet but always preferred the Fisherman version, hook the leg then nail the Brainbuster...

I want to see the PerfectPlex back, I hope McGillicutty has the sense to use it to honor his dad... the move was one of the few oldschool ones that looked like a sure win everytime...

It's a tag team finisher..but I don't miss a move more than I do The Doomsday Device, by LOD..or as I like to refer to them by their original name The Road Warriors.

I would like to see a kindof DDT used either jake's standard one, or preferably raven's evenflow becaus ethat is a thing of beauty.

Other than that I also liked:
1) Bradshaw's (I will never call him JBL) clothesline from hell
2) some kind of powerbomb (jacknife = best)
3) D.Lo browns finisher, not sure what its called
4) Fameasser,mr ass finisher
5) I think there is need for a real good submission right now. WWE has byans crossface cenas stfu, taker hells gate, swaggers ankle lock and punks vice grip but some of these are used too infrequently. There needs to be another figure four or sharpshoter, or walls of jericho, something that is a real bonefide game changer, that leaves it quite open, personally i loved bob backlunds crossface chicken wing

I'd love to either Kane or Sheamus bring back The Heart Punch made famous by Ox Baker.

Another personal fav is The Human Torture Rack backbreaker that Lex Luger used to use. Wouldn't mind seeing a muscle head like Chris Masters of Rob Terry use that as a finisher

how about the vertebreaker it was used alot by Chris Adams an then adapted later into Gregory Helms' arsenal

And I'm sorry for a guilty pleasure..I know the 'huge fat wrestler' prototype has about died off. But I REALLY miss The Earthquake. The setup was fun, stomping the ring making it rattle, then running back and forth, then SQUASH!!

I know what you mean. Thing is, there's no one bad ass enough to use the move and pull it off. Skip Sheffield tries to do it, but he makes it look stupid. And his arms are too big. Someone like Daniel Bryan could use a Lariat and make it look like he's killing someone. It takes skill to perform a basic move and make it look like a kill shot. No one on the roster could do that aside from either Bryan or someone like Sheamus. Sheamus could actually do that move well... but he has too many finishers to begin with.

Actually I think you're missing out on 2 who has the essentially great possibility of using it.

Luke Gallows. Big guy but not too big arms like Sheffield, and he has more than the brutality to bring it legitimately like JBL and Stan. He needs a finisher from what I know.. Or could certainly make a second one work.

The other one is Ted DiBiase. Sure he already has the million dollar dream and Dream street. However he has shown that he masters one kind of clothesline / lariat combination. That one being that awesome clothesline he does when "hunting" down a guy that just ran to the ropes.

And the SLINGSHOT Suplex would be an awesome finisher, but it would have to be amended into a brainbuster kind of move or a jackhammer to be effective. Tully Blanchard used the Slingshot Suplex as a finisher when the NWA banned the piledriver for a short time. He made it look somewhat bad ass, but I'd rather see a Slingshot Jackhammer. That would be pretty awesome.

Also, I agree. Wade Barrett could make that work, but I don't see it necessarily being a finisher for Wade though. He could use it as a signature move much like his slingshot backbreaker.

Also, I don't see a lot of guys being able to make it a legitimate finisher. Perhaps a guy like David Hart Smith. The Sharpshooter just looks wrong for the guy. And his father certainly loved the Vertical Suplex.. But I don't see that becoming his finisher considering he uses it regularly already.

I would like to see the Powerbomb again. I know Batista used to do it, but for some reason it didn't look as brutal as when he first started in Evolution. I think maybe it was because of his age or just a slacker. He used to do a good one. Held his opponents in his shoulders for like 2 second, but then he just started to lift them up a little and not even fully up bombed them. I want to see someone who will do a complete one to anyone except Big Show or Henry of course. I think Shaemus looks like he is strong enough to make it look devastating. Added to his already devastating arsenal.

Yeah, that and the Frog Splash. I know RVD uses it, but I want someone from the WWE to do it. I think it could fit Dolph Ziggler.

Don't know how "old school" this move is but Test's Big Boot. Or any running big boot for that matter. My favorite move probably. You can hit the move from anywhere to anyone. Whether the opponent's 7-foot or 5-foot. The moves usually only for big men to use and I miss it. Someone like David Hart Smith or Shad Gaspard would use this move great. Sheamus kinda does it now but its not really a Big Boot. More of a leaping kick. Test, when he used it, did it perfectly. Always hit it, never botched it. He got so much speed behind him and when he connected, his opponent was out.

[YOUTUBE]P-sPV-n213Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/YOUTUBE]

The Worm! Come on guys it had the crowd cheering and hyped, funky dance moves and a good ole slap to the face to end with. What more could you ask for!

On a serious note I would like to see the Piledriver return. Such a simple yet effective move and when executed properly, looks beautiful. A vintage (no pun intended) wrestling move with devastating effect.

Very simple for me, there are 3.

1. The Vertebreaker

Made famous in WCW by Sugar Shane Helms (The Hurricane), and most currently used by Homicide (Gringo Killer), the Vertebreaker is such a dangerous move that WWE banned it.

[YOUTUBE]0tREltxa2lo[/YOUTUBE]

2. Steiner Screwdriver

Basically a vertical suplex into a sit out piledriver. With the regular piledriver almost completely forbidden in WWE, there is not a chance in hell that this move will ever be allowed again. Scott Steiner still does it very rarely however.

Probably THE best finisher I have ever seen

[YOUTUBE]kppGpbm8EHk[/YOUTUBE]

3. The Impaler

An awesome spide DDT, used by Gangrel. I know Edge has stolen this and turned in into a rubbish version he calls the Edgecution, but I was the original Impaler to return, it is awesome!

[YOUTUBE]cM-tnPs5FIw[/YOUTUBE]

michinoku driver, could be perfect for morrison

Good shout on this, totally forgot about it. Didnt Renee Dupree use it as his finisher for a while too?

It would defintately suit JMO, totally agree with you. Morrison could use a "driver" kind of finisher, Starship Pain is unreliable and hard to execute and I have never liked his Moonlight Drive move.

I'm going to put one out here that hasn't been mentioned:

THE POWERSLAM!

Now I'm not talking about Mark Henry's WSS, which is basically just him falling on top of a guy he's holding in the slam position. I'm talking about REAL powerslams from men like Road Warrior Animal and Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart or the running powerslam from guys like Davey Boy Smith, JYD, and Dr. Death (aka Oklahoma Stampede). I wouldn't mind seeing David Hart Smith pull the ol' running powerslam out of his daddy's book, but the most likely candidate: Jack Swagger. After all he's got the Doctor Bomb, why not let him use the Oklahoma Stampede too?

The PowerSlam

Is a great move i miss. Million Dollar man, Road Warrior Animal, Smash of the Demolition. such a awsome move where the guy comes off the ropes and he picks him up n flips with him to the ground, i really miss that.

The other i miss was the set up for the DDT, the short armed clothes line,, that Jake Roberts performed. Just awsome. I wonder if anyone else liked that move???

also one move i would luv to see.... and i know alot of you dont like Hulk Hogan, but the clothesline he use to perform... where he would hit the guy with it and his whole body would turn as he did it... it just looked like it had such impact.

But the end all and be all that i would like to see returned... would have to be 2 of the following .....

1. an nice atomic drop... use to luv seeing those.

2. a nice eye rink or back rink...... those just use to be awsome.. to see wrestlers get tortured in pian... so much fun to watch..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back