• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My Name Is Earl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y-2-Jay

Pre-Show Stalwart
mynameisearl-logo_450_1171417951.jpg

It looks like there is no my name is earl topics around on here so I decided to do this topic.

My name is earl is one the best TV shows to come on my screen ever. Ok now I told you that here is why. It had a very interesting concept with the karma list he has which leads into hilarious stories but it didn’t just make me laugh it sort of left a good feeling inside when he helped people which all lead to this great show. Not only was the story/concept good also the characters “Earl” produced were great and mostly because of the awesome actors who played them brilliantly (Jason Lee)

It started back in 2005 and was on fire. It was one of the most successful shows to come out of NBC with it pulling 6.0+ in the ratings. It was getting huge scores from reviewers and getting awards and nominations and it looked like “Earl” would go down as one of the classics of TV as it produces another awesome season with number two. But now jump to September 2007 and it’s the start of the third season and the writers decide to put Earl in jail which started the decline in quality and it showed in the ratings as they bombed too 3.0’s+ and then there was a writers strike which didn’t help at all. This all led too the worst story the show ever did when Earl was in a coma. (Even the cast and crew admitted it was bad too)

Now we jump to September 2008 and the show was said to be “returning to its true form” with the motto for season 4 being “Back to the list” they didn’t lie and it looked like it was truly returning back to its original form but it was too late. The ratings were only 2.0 and lower. The dark clouds were forming for “Earl” and in May 2009 the show was cancelled by NBC.

But how could a show like this with the potential to be a classic of TV decline too a filler on NBC’s line up was it because the show didn’t stay to its roots? That would be my number one reason for why it declined and later cancelled. And what is worse is that they left it on a cliff hanger too and now we will never get a end too it or a final episode to end “Earl” so because of its decline I feel it will not get its praise it so rightfully deserves and will be looked on as another fail to come from TV.

What’s the point of this topic you might be wondering well i will get to that now. I would like you too post if you liked the show (favourite episodes, season and characters, your opinion on its cancellation, do you feel it declined in quality and do you feel it had potential to be a all time great) or if you hated it from day one (mostly why?)

Hope you enjoyed the read.

I am a big fan of My Name is Earl. It is a real shame that NBC let the show just get cancelled and all, especially since it was still getting decent ratings even in the end. For some reason the sophmoric humor just appeals to me and makes me laugh regardless of how ridiculous it may be. Also, the concept of Karma has played a major roll in my life especially since I started watching Earl. Karma has become a huge part of my life and is something I center my life around to help make me a better person.

As for a character that I really like, well I like most of the characters on the show. But the one person I like more then the rest is Crab Man. He brings a sense of sensibility to the show that the rest don't. I am always happy when he is on the screen since he is actually smart most of the time.

Good show and glad to see another fan of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back