My hometown here made the national news!!!

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
Disabled Residents Allegedly Forced Into 'Fight Club' at Texas State School

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Seven employees at a state home for the mentally disabled in Corpus Christi have been suspended for staging a "fight club."

Police say some male disabled residents were forced to shove, punch and strike each other.

Someone last Friday gave a cell phone — with videos of the fights at the Corpus Christi State School — to an off-duty police officer.

Capt. Tim Wilson says the videos show fights dating back to 2007 and it's "pretty appalling."

Wilson says mentally disabled male clients can be seen fighting each other — as employees watched. Police expect to file charges later this week.

Laura Albrecht with the Department of Aging and Disability Services says the videos show seven current and four former employees. She says abuse or neglect of residents won't be tolerated.

Several other agencies are also investigating.

Well, my city has made the national news for the murder of a singer, not getting hit by hurricanes, and now staging fight club with the handicapped.

This is sick. The mentally handicapped are the last group that it is still OK to make fun of. Comedians won't make fun of other races too much anymore, but "******" jokes seem to be acceptable. This is wrong, and needs to change. I have a handicapped cousin, and all he does is show is love and appreciation for anyone who spends some time with him. He is polite and seeks approval.

These people cannot speak up for themselves because the concepts of right, wrong, manipulation, and authority are very cloudy to this group.

I did some volunteer work at this very institution, and let me tell you, this is a group of students who are so very eager to please the authority figures that it forms the central tenant of their lives. Success is school is rewarded, being helpful is rewarded, being nice is rewarded, and rewarded by the very people who coerced these men into fighting. Everyone who works there is instructed to give out positive reinforcement. Most of the students associate the workers with rewards, so they will do almost anything they are told.

This makes me fucking sick. If they would release the name, I would hunt these people down and ....

I don't know what I would do. This pisses me off so badly.

You're spot on FTS, it's sick, they are exploiting people who do not understand the concept of right, wrong and everything else you said, just to have a few laughs and whatever they want. My sister looks after mentally challenged people and I would assume they would be the same and they would be very easily influenced by the people who take care of them and would trust that the people looking after them were telling them the right thing to do which isn't good.

I don't like blaming things on the media because when it comes down to it, the individuals are making the decision to do what they are doing with this people but there has to be a line which comedians and tv shows etc should not cross when making fun of certain groups.

Hopefully the workers get what's coming to them. The question is what punishment would be suitable for the accused? I think a jail sentance because they were pitting people against each other in fights which could have resulted in serious injury and they should not be able to work in that industry or any care industry again.

Your correct From The South. Anyways it's fuckin sick that some dumb mother fuckers would stage a fight between handicap people. I personally think it's wrong to make fun of them. One of my cousins is handicap & he is very blessed to have someone help him out & appreciates people who take time out of their day to spend some time with him. I hope to hell that those workers goets what's coming to them. I think that they should not be allowed to work in that industry or any care industry at all & also get a prison sentence cause they made handicap people fight against eachother which is just as or even more wrong than what Michael Vick did to those dogs.

[QUOTE="Da Xtreme Gangsta" James Baker;917227]Your correct From The South. Anyways it's fuckin sick that some dumb mother fuckers would stage a fight between handicap people. I personally think it's wrong to make fun of them. One of my cousins is handicap & he is very blessed to have someone help him out & appreciates people who take time out of their day to spend some time with him. I hope to hell that those workers goets what's coming to them. I think that they should not be allowed to work in that industry or any care industry at all & also get a prison sentence cause they made handicap people fight against eachother which is just as or even more wrong than what Michael Vick did to those dogs.[/QUOTE]

You're right here. If anyone involved gets less than 23 months, then we have something to bitch about. True, Vick did kill the dogs, but the cruelty charges did not include degrees of cruelty. In this case, having them fight is very similar to what Vick did, with the variable of involving people. If there was gambling involved, which it is believed, then more crimes were committed.

As an update, the District Attorney is preparing charges against nine people, and they should be filed very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back