Must-have Wrestling DVDs

byrnside

...Only if you believe.
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or under Old School Reviews as this is not technically a review. So if it's in the wrong spot feel free to move it.

Last night I was at Wal-Mart and I noticed they had a special Wrestlemania section among the DVDs with a lot of three disc sets on sale for $10. I picked up copies of "Heartbreak and Triumph" as well as "The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment." After finishing "Heartbreak and Triumph" I couldn't help but wonder why they had left some pretty monumental HBK matches off ie, Ladder Match from 'Mania X, his match with Jericho from 'Mania XIX and as match with Kurt Angle from 'Mania XXI. So it got me thinking, what are some DVDs you guys have in your collection that you think all wrestling fans should have?

One DVD set that I have that all wrestling fans should own is the Ladder Match 3 disc DVD set. I love all the matches that are on it, including the first ever ladder match in the WWE which was between Bret Hart and HBK at a house show in 1992. I am disappointed however that Razor vs. HBK at Wrestlemania X isn't on it, it just shows a recap video of it with Shawn Michaels talking about it. It does however show HBK vs. Razor at Summerslam 1995, a great ladder match for the IC title by the way. I just think it shows a ton of great matches, which includes numerous TLC matches, as well as a lot of ladder matches with the IC title on the line, and one of my personal favorites, Chris Jericho vs. Christian at Unforgiven 2004. A must have for any WWE fan.

I don't buy many wrestling dvds these days because all of the content is so readily available online. Also a lot of the time, they're not all that. However, one dvd I do have which is pretty good is The Rise and Fall of ECW. There's not too much bullshit propaganda on there unlike the WCW version.

I watched the new Wrestlemania true story dvd yesterday and that was alright, although it leaves a bit out.

Both of the first two Hell in a Cell featured PPVs are incredible. Bad Blood 97 and King of the Ring 98.
I wish I still had a VHS player so I could watch my copies.

Also a good old documentary is the original Beyond the Mat doc. There's good backstage footage, old barbed wire footage and some beautiful close ups of Foley getting his head stitched up.

I think the reason the Shawn/Razor match from WM10 was left off is because it is on one of Shawn Michael other DVD's. No point replicating...

Summerslam 2003 is worth owning as far as PPV's go. What an event. Ive got the Bret Hart 3 disc set which is a must own, I also enjoy Monday Night Wars.

Going forward...Rock vs Austin is a must buy when it comes out.

Edge: A Decade of Decadence is a great dvd.

Also, if you do not own Wrestlemania 24 on dvd, "The Rise and Fall of ECW", "Hell In A Cell" (the three disc set), or the ladder match dvd set then I recommend that you pick them up.

I can't believe someone was dumb enough to get Batista: I walk alone!!!

My faves are:

The Monday Night Wars
The Rise and Fall of ECW
The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior
The 3 disc Bret Hart DVD
The True Story of Wrestlemania

Some good reccomendations guys. I just recently moved into an apartment without internet [for the time being], that's why I've been gaining more interest in some of these old school DVD collections. I'm still looking to pick up the newer HBK collection, "My Journey," "History of the Intercontinental title," "Hell in a Cell," as well as "Tombstone: The History of the Undertaker," probably "The Ladder Match" collections, and possibly one of the Stone Cold collections. I'll look into "Break the Code" if I can find it used or when it lowers in price. I've been going back and forth on the idea of getting Ricky Steamboats and Jake the Snake's DVDs, not sure if they're worth it though. A couple weeks ago I was at a Wal-Mart and they had "Life and Times of Mr. Perfect" for $5 but I passed at the time thinking it would be there later, but it wasn't when I went back. I think for my birthday and Christmas this year I'm probably going to ask for some of Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania Anthologies, probably the earlier ones.

Also, I remember a couple years ago Wal-Mart released a collection of The Undertaker's Wrestlemania wins, which I should've gotten at the time, now I can't find it, hoping they'll release a newer one because I think the last one stopped at Wrestlemania XXIV or XXV.

Keep the ideas flowing you guys.

Reactions: TLC
BYRNSIDE- the movie you are referring to is called Undertaker 15-0 and they have it for sale at cduniverse for 11 bucks, well 10 something plus ship&handle.

Onto my favorite dvd's

1)Breaking The Code: Chris Jerchico
2)Viva La Raza: The Legacy of Eddie Guerrero
3)A Giants Word:Big Show
4)Ladder Match DVD
5)Hart and Soul: The Hart Family
6)Rise and Fall of ECW
7)Shawn Michaels- My Journey
8)The Self-Destruction of The Ultimate Warrior
9)The John Cena Experience
10) TLC Collection DVD

Thats my list for top 10, rip it up tear it down do what you will but im not big into alot of the single ppv dvds, or even the wretlemania collection one, cost way to much for the whole set. Highly recommend the Eddie Guerrero dvd and the Chris Jericho dvd, and the Big Shows is pretty good too. There was one i just watched recently that was annoying and really kinda pissed me off, My Life: The John Cena stroy (not the John Cena Experience, but the first one) Cena wasnt even actually in it besides matches. It was just interviews by other people. IT blew big time. Anyways enjoy and id get that Undertaker dvd quick.

The last one stopped at XXV I'm pretty sure. (EDIT: Ok might be wrong lol)

I've been going through a lot of these sort of DVDs lately, and the ones that I've been watching a lot of lately are the 'Title History' Trilogy of the WWE Title, World Heavyweight Title and the Intercontinental Title. There is some memorable matches on all 3.

My other picks would be the Hell In The Cell collection, any PPV from 2001, and probably some others that I can't think of right now.

3)True story of WM
4) Satans prison
5)history of taker dvd
6)Rise and Fall of ECW
9)The most electrifying man in entertainment rock dvd
10) twisted life of kane dvd

cdfrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrng2

10. History of the World Heavyweight Championship - Yes, there are gaps, and it feels incomplete at times, but if you understand that wrestling wasn't invented by Vince McMahon, its a nice look back at some of the pioneers.

9. History of the WWE Championship - The ultimate WWF/WWE fan's DVD set, its nothing but the WWE championship!

8. The Rise and Fall of WCW - This, along with #7, is necessary for the younger fans to understand what the wrestling scene was like in the 90s. For those of us who watched it happen as it happened, its good to relive.

7. The Rise and Fall of ECW - This, along with #8, is necessary for the younger fans to understand what the wrestling scene was like in the 90s. For those of us who watched it happen as it happened, its good to relive.

6. The Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling - maybe not as necessary for the younger fans, but for those of us 30 and up, who watched WCCW on ESPN, this is definitely a great DVD.

5. The Shawn Michaels Story: Heartbreak and Triumph - there a zillion HBK DVD sets it seems, but I liked this one a little better than the others.

4. Ricky Steamboat: the Life Story of the Dragon - if you want to see how every pro wrestler should treat their time in the ring, this is a must have. In fact, it should be required viewing for all pro wrestlers.

3. Macho Madness: the Randy Savage Ultimate collection - does this even really need an explanation? Its the MACHO MAN!

2: Hulk Hogan: the Ultimate Anthology - Hulk Hogan is one of the two biggest legends in the history of professional wrestling, and this is a better set than Hulk Still Rules, imho. If you are going to get one Hulk set, this needs to be it.

1. Nature Boy Ric Flair - The Definitive Collection - Ric Flair is other one of the two biggest legends in the history of professional wrestling, and this DVD set is amazing. There are a lot of good wrestling DVDs...but this one is the crown jewel of my wrestling DVD collection.

I own Mick Foley's Greatest hits and misses, and its a really good collection in my eyes. Contains a lot of the older key matches, with the first disc compiled from ecw and wcw and then the second of wwe. It also contains some promos from both companies and other cool features. And to top it all off, Foley's segments in between matches are really funny.

I would have to say that one I don't own that I would love to have is the Royal Rumble Anthology. I think it can be argued that the Rumble is the most exciting match of the year simply for the fact that you get to see a lot of talent, some surprises, and the majesty of what the match meant in the 90s and early 2000s was incredible. It has been scaled back a bit because of the two title system and the elimination chamber PPV but still, its a great PPV.

The ones I do own that I love in order from most favorite to least are...

Wrestlemania 18 - Purely because I was at the PPV and I love watching Rock vs Hogan. Also, I got on camera with my sign at the beginning of the event lol

WWE Ladder Match - Ladder matches never get old to me, especially the historical TLC battles between the Dudleys, Hardys, and E&C

WWE Raw 15th Anniversary - Simply for nostalgia. I grew up watching Raw from the very first episode, so classic!

WWE Hell in a Cell - Can be just as good as the Ladder match, great DVD

Shawn Michaels, either DVD (I own both) - I never liked Shawn when I was younger. Even when he beat Bret and "Fulfilled the boyhood dream" I couldnt stand him. As I grew up though, and I can now appreciate what these guys do and I think back to ALL of his amazing matches, I cannot deny how great he was.

Hulk Hogan Anthology - He was my icon, I was a sold out Hulkimaniac all throughout my childhood

Stone Cold Legacy - Another one of the best of all time

The Rock (Most Electrifying) - See above

Tombstone, History of the Undertaker - See above

Best of Smackdown - See Raw, although not nearly as good of a DVD

Elimination Chamber Anthology - Great matches, just not as good (IMO) as Ladder/HIAC

I would have to say my fav wwe dvds are

Ric flair definative collection
Jake Roberts pick your poison
Greatest stars of the 90s
Shawn michaels my journey
bobby the brain heenan
best of saturday nights main event
randy savage macho madness
best of the ic championship
best of the wwe championship
the legacy of stone cold steve austin
bret hitman hart: best there is
life and times of mr perfect
roddy piper story
royal rumble anthology vol 1 (mainly for rumble 92...amazingly funny commentary)

3)A Giants Word:Big Show
4)Ladder Match DVD
5)Hart and Soul: The Hart Family
6)Rise and Fall of ECW
9)The John Cena Experience
10) TLC Collection DVD

Looks like someone had a ball on Netflix lol, just watched #1/3/5/9 and others on Netflix

Wasn't a fan of the Hart & Soul DVD but Breaking The Code: Cris Jericho was probably my favorite WWE DVD yet (besides The True Story of Wrestlemania)

The single release of Wrestlemania X-7. No censoring of anything plus it's the best quality source of the ppv

Oh man, there are surprisingly a lot of good dvds out there which I am glad for, the WWE has done a good job on them for the most part. A couple I'd say were really good but not quite MUST HAVE are the Brian Pillman Dvd and the Ultimate Warrior DVD, both were good and entertaining, but not the best.

The ones that I'd say are must have are Bret Hart's 3 disc set, it has a great story, which at the time was a trip because I never even thought we'd see Bret in the WWE again at all let alone get a DVD of his matches and with his opinions of stuff like montreal, owen, etc. Consider it the abridged version of his even more amazing book. The rise and fall of ECW is another AMAZING dvd and I felt like it did a good job, particularly since it had Paul Heyman involved in it, unlike the WCW one which felt like it had a pretty big slant to it, particularly with regards to TNA as it bashed just about everyone working there now and blamed them for the whole demise. Just like the Warrior dvd the WCW one was far from unbiased unlike ECW. Finally, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one but the Chris Benoit Dvd... yea I know given all that happened it's probably not the popular choice but it was still a great dvd which covered his career wonderfully and had some awesome matches on it. I'd say for any up and coming wrestler the Bret and Benoit dvds should be homework for them to study and learn the art of pro wrestling because those two were just unreal in the ring. The Hogan anthologies are good and it's hogan so you probably should have it, but they just feel lacking as each misses some big matches and moments in my opinion.

I have all the one that have been released on Netflix thus far, Breaking the Code was the best.

I have on dvd:

Triple H King of Kings, has a bunch of great matches but beyond that not much else.

John Cena My Life and Thug Life, I enjoy the hell outta bot of these.

50 Greatest Superstars of All Time

Roddy Piper Born into Controversy

Ric Flair Ultimate Collection

The Legacy of Stone Cold Steve Austin

Triumph and Tragedy the story of WCCW

Spectacular History of the AWA

Mr Perfect, one of the best dvd sets ever

True Story of Wrestlemania

Big Show Giants World

History of the World Championship

Best of Smackdown

Royal Rumble 2009 and 2010

I wish my Wal-Mart had a Wrestlemania section, but I did get most of these for 5 bucks or less and Wal-Mart over the last couple months.

Love My Rumble Anthology! Wish they'd put out the rest of the Survivor Series Anthology. I love the Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior, due to the mass burial of the crazy psycho. Big fan of the Road Warriors, all Flair releases, including the 4 Horsemen. I like the mini docs on Superstars of the 80's and 90's. The Macho Man dvd was a complete joke, Matt Striker and Maria really sunk that one. I also really like the Brian Pillman, Mr. Perfect, and Superstar Billy Graham titles too. My favorite wrestling dvds aren't produced by WWE though. I am a big fan of buying Shoot interviews with Rock & Roll Express and Ric Flair being my favorites.

a lot of the ones i like have been mentioned already, some that i also like that have not been mentioned are:
dusty rhodes
dx when they reunited
legion of doom
mcmahon
four horseman
allied powers
the awa dvd

and i can't think of any of the other ones right now, because they have been mentioned already

I have quite a few DVDs, the ones I recommend are:

Bret Hart-The Best There, Is The Best There Was and The Best There Ever Will Be

Shawn Michaels- Heartbreak & Triumph

The Rise & Fall of ECW

Smackdown 100 Greatest Moments

Raw: 15 year anniversary best of

Wrestlemania 17

Eddie Guerrero- Cheating Death, Stealing Life

Mick Foley's Greatest Hits & Misses (Hardcore Edition)

Ladder Match

The Rise & Fall of WCW

The history of TNA: Year One

Christian Cage: Instant Classic

The Monday Night Wars

Beyond The Mat

Wrestling With Shadows (Bret Hart documentary with alot of inside footage of the screwjob. You will not believe your ears!)

Do NOT buy Kurt Angle: Champion. It is so badly done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back