Music Biopic You Want To See

SorgFamily

Getting Noticed By Management
Along with Ray, Walk the Line, The Runaways, I'm Not There (to a point) and a ton of others, there has been a quite few music biopics in the last decade. And with a Phil Spector project starring Al Pacino and a Freddie Mercury-Queen project starring Sacha Bron Cohen coming in the near future it's a safe bet to assume that we'll see more than a few more before the genre burns out for a decade or two. My question to you is: "Is there an artist or band that you would like to see get the Biopic treatment?" There are tons of musicians that have led controversial careers that would make good movie material.

As for my pick I would go with Eric Clapton. The man has been in two of the biggest bands in rock history (Cream and Derek and the Dominos), was a very good friend with George Harrison (whom he stole a wife from and managed to remain a friend), battled a heroin and alcohol addiction, lost a child to a freak accident fall from an apt. building and still has managed to become a relevant blues/rock godfather who still performs regularly including putting on the best blues/rock concert of every year (Crossroads). I have no idea who could play his part but it would be a huge role to fill.

I wasn't sure if this should go here or in the music section, feel free to move it.

Keith Richards. A while back, Johhny Depp said he was making this- but it turned into a documentary. I think the man isnt human, lol. I would love to see a biopic focused around Keith Richards. Anyone who has been around this long, with so many bad habits, would have a great story.

Quite possibly a film about Ozzy or maybe Marilyn Manson. There is alot of controversy surrounding them & could make for a great film.

I would love to see a real film made about Nirvana and Kurt Cobain. I know that Last Days was based on Kurt, but that film is on my short list of worst and most boring films ever made and really shouldn't even be considered or associated with Nirvana and Cobain. Probably a good thing they couldn't get permission to use Cobain's name for it.

There were rumblings about a Kurt Cobain film going around for a while but I don't know the status on it anymore. I know both Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Pattinson were supposedly going to play Cobain at different times, but I don't think either ever signed on to play the role. I'm alright with that because neither guy strikes me as the right person for the role. Hopefully, this film does get done though because I believe it could be legendary, much like Ray and Walk the Line are. Cobain was a huge persona in music and a biopic about him would be a very big thing.

Tupac Shakur

No...no...no....no...NOTORIOUS. Notorious was a phenomenal biopic about the life of The Notorious B.I.G., it would only seem logical Tupac would be next in line for a rap biopic. Look at his life, full of great moments, controversies and jail sentences that would fill two hours or so greatly. Tupac has to be one of the most lyrically gifted, interesting human beings to ever capture the public's attention.

Michael Jackson

They came out with the Jackson 5 shit movie and I hated it. Too much Jackson 5 not enough Michael. If anyone needs a biopic, it's the King of Pop himslf. In 2009, it seemed to be the absolute perfect time to release a sort of video but we didn't really get it. All I know is that Michael Jackson's life was full of so much material to make a biopic from. Thriller, '93 molestation cases, just what the hell he did between 2005 and his death, this would be a must see for me.

N.W.A

I think there's a lot of history in the most influencial rap group in history, N.W.A.. From there time growing up on Compton streets to Ice Cube leaving the group basically crushing the group with his different songs. Hell, you can even include Dre leaving and Eazy E's death. I actually heard something about this being in the works but who knows these days? Could really be a damn good biopic if done appropriately.

Sam Cooke.

Considered one of the greatest singers of all time, he came up in the industry during the height of the Civil Rights Movement. There is no doubt he went through a lot of stuff during and before that time, being raised in one of the most racist counties in the US, Mississippi. Plus there was the death of his son and many other things that happened to the man that would make for a very good movie. Moreover, his death is highly controversial, and I would be really interested to see what route the filmmaker would take regarding his death. Would he show Cooke as a rapist who got what he deserved, or would he be portrayed as a murder victim? Either way, it would be intriguing to watch.

As far as who could play Cooke... I'm not sure. There are a couple of young African-American actors who I'm positive could give great dramatic performances with the role, but could they even come close to hitting his notes? If it were up to me, I'd go on a big search and cast an unknown to play him.

Since Tupac and Sam Cooke have been mentioned, I'll think of a couple others.

I think one about Jay-Z could be interesting. Though, with how mainstream his image has become, it's hard to determine how well it would come out.

Elton John could be cool. Just all that's gone on with the guy would be interesting to watch unfold.

I also agree with N.W.A. The downfall would be interesting. Perhaps even just the entire split up and feature some aspects of Death Row Records, as well.

Otis Redding. That'd be nice, as well. Great voice. I'd watch it just for the music.

I would love to see a real film made about Nirvana and Kurt Cobain. I know that Last Days was based on Kurt, but that film is on my short list of worst and most boring films ever made and really shouldn't even be considered or associated with Nirvana and Cobain. Probably a good thing they couldn't get permission to use Cobain's name for it.

There were rumblings about a Kurt Cobain film going around for a while but I don't know the status on it anymore. I know both Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Pattinson were supposedly going to play Cobain at different times, but I don't think either ever signed on to play the role. I'm alright with that because neither guy strikes me as the right person for the role. Hopefully, this film does get done though because I believe it could be legendary, much like Ray and Walk the Line are. Cobain was a huge persona in music and a biopic about him would be a very big thing.

First off, Last Days was a load of balls as you quite rightly pointed out. I felt like I was going through my own 'Last Days' just watching it, but apparently it's under 2 hours? Felt longer than that to me.

I think Courtney Love is the big X factor in whether a Cobain film gets made, as I recall reading that she would want to be in it and choose her own Kurt... which is a wee bit creepy really.

Layne Staley would be an interesting guy to do a biopic about but I can imagine it being very harrowing towards the end.

Jeff Buckley would be a very cool person to make a biopic about and I'd expect/hope for a more european director to handle it. Not too sure who I'd want to play him though, same with Layne.

Jeff Buckley would be a very cool person to make a biopic about and I'd expect/hope for a more european director to handle it. Not too sure who I'd want to play him though, same with Layne.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-20052772-10391698.html

CBS) Jeff Buckley released one full-length album and a handful of EPs in his lifetime. He was 30 when he drowned in 1997 in Tennessee's Wolf River.

Now Deadline reports that Jake Scott will direct a biopic about Buckley from a script by Ryan Jaffe. The site says Buckley's songs are a part of the rights package and the producers optioned "Dream Brother: The Lives and Music of Jeff and Tim Buckley," by David Browne, as well.

Buckley's father, Tim Buckley, was a singer who died in 1975 of a heroin overdose at 28.

Jeff Buckley's full-length album, "Grace," was released in 1994 and made several best-of lists at the end of the year. In 2003, Rolling Stone called Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" no. 259 on its list of the 500 greatest songs of all time and called "Grace" the 303rd best album.

Since Buckley's death, other musicians, including Chris Cornell, Juliana Hatfield and Aimee Mann, have recorded tributes to him or songs about him. The latest in a string of Buckley posthumous releases is "Grace Around the World" in 2009.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there's that one. I am a Jeff Buckley fan. Casual fan at the most. I of course love "Hallelujah", his cover of the Leonard Cohen song, but I also love the song "Grace" and some of his weirder songs like "Alligator Wine". Great pick Dowds.

I'd like to see a good biopic of the guy who lists Sam Cooke as his biggest influence. In particular, I believe the first decade or so of his career would make for a good story... the artist being Rod Stewart.

From his early life as the son of Scottish parents who moved to London where Rod was born. He could have become a professional footballer (soccer player) and had many small time jobs, including a shift as a grave digger. He was discovered by Long John Baldry and as well as playing with LJB's band he also sang for the Jeff Beck group (famously, he was meant to sing 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' but for an untimely throat infection) before joining up with members of the disbanded Small Faces to create one of the original hell raising bands - the Faces, along with good buddy and future Stone, Ronnie Wood.

Up until he crossed the Atlantic and became a shell of the unique white soul singer songwriter he was, Rod's life had everything. Partying, more blonds than a Diva audition, treachery, jealousy and great music. If I was to pick someone to play the young Rod, my first choice would be James McAvoy.
penelope_movie_image_james_mcavoy.jpg

18030.jpg

I'm going to go with Dr Dre. Not just because of his legendary career in the hip hop industry but because of everything he has been to. People have brought up NWA and Tupac in this thread and Dre would be part of both of those. From his start with the World Class Wreckin' Cru, to his NWA days, to Death Row with Snoop and eventually Tupac, to his break away from Suge and discovery of Eminem. There are so many aspects of Dre's career that would make for a great movie. I mean you'd need actors to play Ice Cube, Eazy E, Snoop, Pac, Suge, Eminem, etc. His personal life is also filled with a lot of intrigue and there would be no shortage of entertainment in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back