Movie Or Book: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, hello readers of Wrestlezone. Today, I’m going to try settle the debate of, which was better the movie or the book? This debate will almost always come up when a movie comes out based on a book, whether it be Harry Potter or Watchmen or The DaVinci Code. Does the movie do the book justice? Does the movie add more to the book and capture it’s essence? These are the questions we are trying to answer now. The important thing to do first is look at both pieces from an individual standpoint.And today’s film and book combination?

One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest

Written By Ken Kesey/Directed by Miloš Forman.

The Book

The book, published in 1962 is a masterpiece. It was named in TIME magazines 100 best English language novels (1923-2005). Kesey wrote it as a result of working at a mental institution himself, and having undergone various drug tests, with hallucinogens such as LSD for a bit of money. The book is set in a mental asylum in Oregon, that’s is run by the tyrannical Nurse Ratched. She, alongside three negro aides, runs her ward with ruthless efficiency and keeps the patients trapped in a prison. She uses psychological tactics to break down the unstable patients and exert her control. How do we know all this? Because the book is being narrated by a gargantuan half Indian named Chief Bromden.

Chief Bromden, while narrating the story, tell us that he does not speak. Not because he can’t but as so not to attract attention. He gains access to many of the wards secrets by being inconspicuous, pretending to be deaf and dumb. However, our narrator is not all well. Having been admitted to the asylum at the end of World War II, he has strange delusions and hallucinations, which can make for strange reading early in the book until you grasp that he is hallucinating. Having a mentally unstable man as your narrator was a nice touch I thought.

So in walks a man by the name of Randle Patrick McMurphy into Nurse Ratcheds ward. I tried to liken him to a poster on this forum, but I couldn’t think of one. Maybe NorCal, because McMurphy is ripped. His clashes with Nurse Ratched, who basically created the stereotype of an evil nurse are dotted throughout the book, as he tries to unnerve her. I really do not want to give away the goods of this fine novel, and I implore everyone to read it, however, for an idea of how McMurphy tries to “get the Nurses goat”, he sneaks two ****es onto the ward to get drunk with and get a mental patient laid for the first time. And that isn’t even the best part of the book,

The Movie

The movie is considered every bit as good as the book. Let’s put this in perspective. This movie won ALL 5 of the big Oscars, a feat that hadn’t been accomplished for 41 years. Best Picture, Actor in Lead Role, Actress in Lead Role, Director, Screenplay. That alone should be a testament to how great the film is, especially considering how many great movies cannot even win one. Jack Nicholson as McMurphy, alongside Louise Fletcher as Nurse Ratched, is probably the best he’s ever been. It’s a tough call to make considering films like Batman, A Few Good Men and The Shining, but I think here he really proves he’s one of the greatest actors of the century.

I couldn’t find the exact scenes I wanted, but here are a few pretty good ones. For some reasons the swearwords are bleeped out of the second one.

[youtube]syPZZxxFCe0[/youtube]

[youtube]YKQcx1jzn4k[/youtube]

Sure he doesn’t have red hair like it says in the book or his red cap has turned black, but hey, it’s the performance in this that matters. And he really nails it. And perhaps that’s the problem, if you see the movie first, its hard to imagine anyone else as Randle Patrick McMurphy, simply because his character was nigh on perfect. And that’s nearly the problem with all movie adaptations, in that your imagination makes the characters in the book what they are, and the movie takes that away. But in the case of the movie, if it is done well enough to become a great imagining, it can be justified in changing your view or perception of the book.

You see I read the book first. And a lot of thing change in the movie. Things are slightly different here and there, and the chief doesn’t narrate, hell doesn’t talk nearly at all. This was actually a big negative, as the chief’s character is so much stronger in the book, and the way he describes characters so powerful. There are no hallucinations, and McMurphy teaches them to play basketball way too early. And he doesn’t steal a school bus. But the fact of the matter is, it’s a great adaptation. Louise Fletcher is great as the Nurse, and some of her stares feel as if they pierce right through the screen. Also, if you read the book, you will notice a flourish of sexual undertones, and more than once will reference be made to the Big Nurse’s giant breasts. So it probably helps that I find the Nurse sort of hot. But reading the book, I got to make my own impressions first, and the movie changed that. At first I was a little bit vindictive that the movie had changed my perceptions, but you have to realise, all movies are going to do that, and if you can let yourself just be a movie watcher, the experience is all the better. And with such a great movie, its hard not to love what you’re watching, even if you have read it before.

So then, we’re posed with the ultimate question, which was better? Taking away my personal bias of reading the book first, it’s hard to distinguish. While you may not get Chief Bromdens narration or may miss out on some of McMurphys crude sex jokes or witty dialogue, the film more than makes up for it with great perfomances all around. But I originally posted this thread saying they were equally as good.
But I call bullshit on myself. After recently watching the film again, I an succinctly say that the book was better. The characters come off so much better. Everything makes more sense in the book, and doesn;t feel as rushed. The only time in which the movie has good parts is when it recants from the book. Acting from Nicholson is top notch no doubt, but Nurse Ratched could have been so much more evil. It's just missing an X-factor, which you really do get if you read the book. I would rank it up as one of my all-time favourites. You should too.

Go out, buy a fucking copy. Now.

Er, sorry MRC. Didn't know someone had attempted this already. I was planning on just doing 1 thread for all books turned into movies, but I like your format. Keep it going.

As far as One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, I loved the book. The movie was outstanding, and is probably one of the best ever. Nicholson is clearly on top of his game there, but the supporting cast is top notch as well.

I first read the book in high school, so I missed a lot of what was going on between writing papers and trying to catch up. After I graduated, I found a copy at a bookstore, and picked it up, giving it a second read. It's one of my favorites. Probably even a close 2nd to Catcher In The Rye. It's very descriptive, and tells an amazing story.

Great thread MRC! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back